Sony Cancels 'The Interview' Release

James

• Administrators

A movie I was looking forward to seeing, 'The Interview' was cancelled from release after terrorist threats from North Korea. 

Apparently when Sony got hacked a few weeks ago, it was actually North Korea. I guess Kim Jong Un wanted to watch the movie first before making threats. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/sony-cancels-interview-release-after-theaters-drop-out-while-fox-n270281

I was amazed that a State would attack a film studio over a movie, but does show we have serious cyber vulnerabilities. But at least I have enjoyed the release of some emails among studio execs that seem to mock and poke fun at a number of celebrities. :)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

This whole thing is silly. They should just release the movie because it's covered under the freedom of expression. If North Korea make threats then tough luck, there's not much they can do about it anyway.

This is all probably just damage control until they can find out just who did this, then once they're behind bars and the dust has settled they'll release the film.

I mean with this kind of publicity its gotta be building up alot of interest around the world for it, I mean can you imagine the sales they would get from it if they put it on dvd? and just dvd? its liquid gold.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

This whole thing is silly. They should just release the movie because it's covered under the freedom of expression. If North Korea make threats then tough luck, there's not much they can do about it anyway.

I agree. And North Korea have always been known to make threats and not act on it. 

What's the worst that can happen? They start a war, North Korea is destroyed. Korea becomes a whole free nation. 

I agree. And North Korea have always been known to make threats and not act on it. 

What's the worst that can happen? They start a war, North Korea is destroyed. Korea becomes a whole free nation. 

Exactly. It's not like criticising Islam in a movie or something where there's a real threat that could come from anywhere. But how is North Korea going to retaliate? They'll just have to take it.

The movie's contents are no different to Zero dark thirty except it's a comedy. If you're in the Dictator business then at least have a sense of humour.

Thing is this group sounds like it threatened to attack whatever place shows the film, which means that the people who did the hacking or had a part of it are here, and need to be found and thrown in jail.

and just imagine the lawsuits they'd get if they release the film and didnt have security at a theater that gets attacked, it could be one of the lawsuits in history aimed at sony when they're at there weakest, even if it holds no water.

so its not a matter of machismo we will release the film FU bad guys, its a tactical retreat until their on better ground.

Edited by Kavinsky

and just imagine the lawsuits they'd get if they release the film and didnt have security at a theater that gets attacked, it could be one of the lawsuits in history aimed at sony when they're at there weakest, even if it holds no water.

so its not a matter of machismo we will release the film FU bad guys, its a tactical retreat until their on better ground.

Good point. If I was in charge at Sony I would have just released it anyway and said FU. But then if someone does end up getting hurt the publicity would be BAD!..

Apparently Obama said they should have released the film too. He said North Korea can't impose censorship on you guys, so It's a tough call.

I say release it because it's only North Korea, They're entire history was founded on empty threats without backing them up. It's not like the attack could come from people on your own soil, you know?

Yeah that's the thing, if it is directly linked to them it is an act of war if they actually tried to attack people at a movie theater on US soil, however if its just a group of assholes saying their north korea then its a threat to public safety.

as something doesnt sit right about the NSA saying it was north korea, and then this whole GOP thing protectors of peace? it just sounds off.

and they'll need to put armed police at all those movie theaters running the thing just incase, so its a loose loose situation in that regard.

although I must wonder given the relationship between Japan and North Korea, could that mean a terrorist act on the soil of japan, and not america given the headquarters of the parent company?

as they have a long history of bad blood, as we actually starved japan of the oil to keep them from attacking china after they invaded korea before the outbreak of the second world war. and that is what lead to pearl harbor despite the warnings of one of the head generals on the japanease side not to mess with us.

not to mention the Korean war that my father was nearly wrapped up in.

so its just a murky situation at best, and you cant tell if their bluffing or if there serious regardless of their track record, and I think the best thing to do is give the authorities time to find out which is what and then call their bluff after you've run the odds and done some backchecking.

hell I'd love for them to surprise release the film on the 4th of july and call the dvd version of the film the FU North Korea edition, but not at the cost of literal lives.

and there is a third possibility that hasnt been considered, a little while back th servers for the sony PS4 had been knocked off line by a group calling themselves the lizzard squad of all things (which sounds like a group from the teenage mutant ninja turtles really) on and off for the past couple of months, along with the xbox 360 and one too.

now supposedly they got found out and exposed but I'd be curious to see if there was any connection to the hack of the private servers at sony and this, as maybe they used the same method as those ass clowns to break in, in the first place

so the best thing is to wait and see and I think sony made the right call for this period in time, as there also going to be dealing with some lawsuits coming directly from their own people, former and present given the gravity of the information leak right now

which included social security numbers and full job history, so they've got internal fighting to deal with first, along with getting their computer networks and everything up and running again before they can even consider releasing the film first.

Edited by Kavinsky

Wasn't it one of the Airplane sequels that had all the bad guys of the word all together including Godaffi and Kim Jung,Saddam and a bunch of others. Not a word was said about that???????.

I saw the puppet movie of Seth MacFarlanes called "America World Police" and they had a real funny puppet of Kim Jung The movie was hilarious and bit "r", rated but I laughed my a$$ off!

I find it funny that North Korea doesn't have a sense of humour!

All this tit for tat is childish and lets hope it doesn't spark a third world war

• Administrators

The Lizard Squad are a bunch of 14 year old kids. They don't know anything about hacking.

All they were doing was DDoSing the PSN and Microsoft servers. A DDoS attack is when you send so much data to the server that you overload them and force it to go offline.

Just kids in their bedroom trying to look like badasses. They aren't hackers.

In fact - Anonymous and some other real hacking group targeted some Lizard Squad members, basically saying they aren't hackers and should just give up.

And Sony released The Interview online on their website and YouTube. If you are inside the US you can rent it for $6, or if you're outside of the US you can torrent it.

And Sony don't really care if you pirate it, as the video player on the Sony website allowed viewers to download the video, and also share the link to friends and friends could watch it for free.

I think they just want as many people as possible to see the movie, so they can basically stick the finger up at Kim Jong Un.

I didn't think the movie was that great though, it had its moments but it's just average. You should watch it though, because everybody else on the planet is watching it.

yeah its just one of those things, where it becomes a matter of principal to stick your finger in the air. like someone annoyingly telling you not to do something.

you know sort of like one of those animated signs where they show your speed, the blinking thing on the road, as I always make a point just to put my foot down when I see one.

• Administrators

Seems like this movie could be popular with all the hype about it.Its to bad it got so much popularity because of this hack attack.

I probably would have seen it either way. My brother and I enjoy watching James Franco and Seth Rogan movies.

yeah its just one of those things, where it becomes a matter of principal to stick your finger in the air. like someone annoyingly telling you not to do something.

you know sort of like one of those animated signs where they show your speed, the blinking thing on the road, as I always make a point just to put my foot down when I see one.

You speed past those signs?  :) 

I thought there'd be speed cameras there and you end up with a fine a week later.

No they just flash the numbers, that's all, its more like a warning from the police going hey were going to have cops here in a few days, slow it down for awhile.