Hummingbirds FAQ

Kavinsky

I'm just posting this thread as I'm a little bit awe struck here, now for the past 4 to 5 years I've been putting out the hummingbird feeders, and it took 3 to pull them in reliably.

and today I just got the male to finally reliably land on my finger everytime it comes in, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFwT5Xfrg4

its like it has little spider feet, and is one of those portable hand size fans in your hand pretty much, in addition to the other 3 ruby throated female hummingbirds, which decided to have a fight right infront of me with my wayfarers on, 3 inches away from my face lol

and I figured I'd post this to help others bring these little winged wonders in and to give them a safe haven, as there kind of like little bundles of joy that you dont have to clean up after, all they do is squirt a little suger water out and thats it.

although like all birds they always find the car.

now to figure out if they come to your area, I've been using this for years and its been updated and around since 1998

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

up here around the central MA area they reliably come in around mothersday, this year they were early by about 4 days

now for the feeders you need fishing wire, as otherwise the ants will climb down and drink the water, fishing hooks and hooks to mount the things

or any old hook where the feeder is connected to it via the fishing wire, and take a plate and put it under it if your mounting it to your deck, as they do drip and it can damage the finish of the wood in that area, as what happened to me.

and the food they drink is a mixture of 4 to 1 water sugar, try and make it naturally as apparently theres some odd thing that can happen with the ready made red stuff, so I never use it

just use a big messuring can and jar and you only need to do it once every couple of weeks with the straight normal sugar

and put it a decent amount up and away from the ground, I say this as a natural predator to the hummingbird of all things are praying mantises and they will kill them, and I dont want to tempt fate by saying if I've had them or not

now cleaning wise with the feeders just use soap and water and make sure you rinse them out properly, as sometimes under high heat mold can form, so just use an old tooth brush to clean it.

and I would stick to mutiple single feeders for anything below like 5 of them, like 2 feeders a decent amount away from each other and not in view is the way to do this

this made and researched while listening to this

• Like 2

They are remarkable animals. Who couldn't love these animals? They are cute, beautiful, and...somewhat magical.

indeed although I dont know what black magic some of these people are using as I've only had this group, and this group only come this far north.nowhere near some of the videos on youtube,

although to be fair they might be a great deal further south so the migration number in that area might be far greater, but theres a really great story in one of the alaska magazines where someone had a hummingbird get caught out there when the weather changed, they brought it and saved it.

and as soon as spring returned it flew off and got back to its old habitat, and there just the kind of birds that would get Lawrence Tierney to lighten up and laugh in wonder and amazement.

and I do think their nesting, I'm seeing them eat up spider webs and check out the area for once

Edited by Kavinsky