DAVID LETTERMAN

COOPER&BURNETT

dave%20letterman_zpsgiugyvku.jpg

David Letterman says goodbye after 33 hilarious years

David Letterman said farewell to viewers Wednesday after a 33 year career, His next joke: "I want to be honest with you -- it's beginning to look like I'm not gonna get 'The Tonight Show."

In the end, Letterman had an array of thank yous, saving a special one for longtime band leader Paul Shaffer, calling him "as good a friend as you could have on television and as good a friend as you could have in life," and a "musical genius."

He introduced his wife, Regina, and son, Harry. to loud applause. And he thanked viewers, saying, "You've given me everything. There's nothing I could do to ever repay you."

And finally, these words: "For the last time on a television program, thank you and goodnight."

I remember Dave first entertaining us while I was in college.  Staying up late after watching Johnny.  He totally change the rules of a talk show host and pushed to make us laugh with his ridiculous antics.  Thank you Dave!  Shit, I feel old.  

• Like 1

I loved watching Carson, the King of late night TV, but Letterman was a breath of fresh air, and did stupid, silly things, like man on the street things, stupid human and stupid dog tricks. He also, along with Robin Williams, was the fastest thinking comedian around. He was quick witted. He's not dead, just retired. I'm happy for him.  

It was tough to see Dave go.  But we have to accept his decision.  After all even he deserves some peace and quiet.