What did you all like about Don Johnsons character?

summer84

Of course his obvious charm. ;)  Sonny Crockett's charisma, strong attitude and how he looked cool in his designer clothes and with the sunglasses. :cool: The way he licked a cigar before putting it into his mouth. The way he could handle a vehicle with his car chases. I don't know if he did those himself or a stuntman did all of them?

How he fought for justice and protected the ladies he cared about. :happy: 

Beside his job he was good at pool and boat racing.

I found him most attractive and sexy in season 1-3. I didn't like him with the long hair, it did not suit him.

His smile and laughter. His last name Crockett.

Also Don Johnsons energy and credibility when acting. The only thing I didn't like about his personality sometimes was when he talked loudly, that was a bit too much for me.

• Like 1

I would have to say........EVERYTHING ! ;)

Hey, he is what every normal man wants to be....handsome, cool, tough, funny without being dumb, good dresser....etc. etc. etc.

If I think of more I'll post them!

P.S. not only his character but his real life image.

I also feel the same about Frank Sinatra but for many different reasons.

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 3

I thought DJ had a great look in seasons 1-2 and most of 3. When Crockett starts wearing jeans and gets that long lion's mane of hair, that classic 80s appeal starts to fade.

• Like 1

I thought DJ had a great look in seasons 1-2 and most of 3. When Crockett starts wearing jeans and gets that long lion's mane of hair, that classic 80s appeal starts to fade.

True, but he looked cool with a business suit, tie & that pony tail. It wasn't a hippie look!

• Like 1

Crockett was, and still is the coolest Character that TV ever had. He just seemed to be cool doing....anything. He was tough, super cool, stylish, and....he was the good guy! (He had pretty cool cars too!) He was loyal, caring, & smart. Women wanted him, and men wanted to be him! He did what he thought was right. Let's face it.....Sonny Crockett is many things, but the one word that describes him best says it all. "COOL". 

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 3

Crockett was, and still is the coolest Character that TV ever had. He just seemed to be cool doing....anything. He was tough, super cool, stylish, and....he was the good guy! (He had pretty cool cars too!) He was loyal, caring, & smart. Women wanted him, and men wanted to be him! He did what he thought was right. Let's face it.....Sonny Crockett is many things, but the one word that describes him best says it all. "COOL". 

Can I hear an Amen? ...... AMEN!

The way he could handle a vehicle with his car chases. I don't know if he did those himself or a stuntman did all of them?

Can anyone tell? :)

Some of the car scenes have reused footage so its hard to tell... it looks like DJ is doing the driving in many episodes though. I dont know for sure...

Edited by Bryan

You know what I like about him?  Not a damn thing!

LOL, just kidding.  I recycled one of his lines!  I love how dedicated he is to his job!  He really wants to do the world good... and boy, oh boy, is he stylish doing it!  I liked his style in most of series, but in season 5, some of the outfits were a little trashy or unstylish.  I like his hair in all seasons, though.  I really like how it looks in season 4 the best, in my opinion.

Anyway, Crockett is a very likable guy!  He reminds me a bit of myself, as I'm short tempered but have good intentions!  I love how he dispises guys who beat women.  In "No Exit" and "Buddies", you can tell he hates men who beat women!

Edited by AndrewRemington

As a kid in the 80s I remember Johnson had a very distinct accent. I grew up predominantly in the south, but I couldn't place the accent geographically. I was just very unique and distinctly DJ. Also as a kid I didn't know anyone named Crockett, so the name also was distinct and memorable.

• Like 1

Sonny Crockett is a bloody good cop, he's very stylish and he's got good intentions, and he's just an all around loveable rouge, Sonny is one of my most favorite characters of all time and a good role model, boy does he make smoking look cool, he makes just about everything cool, he looks good in almost everything he wears, Don Johnson really made the character his own, he is cool...he is the man.

• Like 1

As a kid in the 80s I remember Johnson had a very distinct accent. I grew up predominantly in the south, but I couldn't place the accent geographically. I was just very unique and distinctly DJ. Also as a kid I didn't know anyone named Crockett, so the name also was distinct and memorable.

I forgot about Crockett's accent. But you are right, it is distinct and I also agree about his last name. If I remember correctly, Don Johnson added that accent to his character with that rough voice.

I found this article from DJ - The global forum and took out these pieces written about his character:

"Johnson says that when he and the network were first discussing the character, and he came in with the slicked-back pompadour speaking in whiskey voice, NBC went bonkers. They said they wanted my normal voice and my regular hair, and I said no. The voice I made hoarse, gravelly, raspy. Crockett is always running around with crazed drug dealers, drinking whiskey; he's got to have that kind of voice. The hair has got to be severe, slicked back. That's how I styled him, and its working."

I think Don Johnson used his normal voice in season 4 and 5.

In the begining of season one, he seemed to have a slight south florida, southern accent that faded away as the series continuted.