1986 Blazer

Jerry B.

Hi guys, here is an original 1986 blazer I own since then. One of the few things survived to the change of times. I wore it a lot till the early 90s.

After that, I never wore it again till the other day, when I surprisingly found it in my father's wardrobe, where I keep all the things I no longer use. I brought it to a cleaner and... here it is ;-)

Its fabric's got a texture made of different grades of "metalic" gray, and some turquoise wires here and there. The white lining on the back has been replaced cause it was torn because of too much wearing and - you know? It got torn again for the same reason. It was one of the blazers I wore most back then.

Shoulder pads are quite big, as you can expect. The blazer is fresh and not structured, the fabric is soft and light. The only thing I never liked about it are the chrome buttons, but they can be replaced (suggestions welcome ;-).

My photos are not as accurate as Coop's ones, but I think you can have an idea.
I also add a picture of me wearing it, just to show how it looks "in action".

Enjoy!

post-5426-0-35692400-1435822555_thumb.jp

post-5426-0-35859700-1435822612_thumb.jp

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 7

:D WAIT is over :D

Thank you so much Jerry !

Hell yeah - I love those blazers !

And yes I admit I also like these pumped up ;) shoulder pads.

One row buttoned is duty - Big dislike all time with double row buttoned.

Brilliant fabric. :fireworks:

These small blue sprinkles (?) are the icing on the cake !

So... :done::thumbsup:

wonderful add to this community.

Just to us who still have the eyes to enjoy such an outfit.

Beautiful blazer by that time period worn by a pretty man.

What shall I say - I will make it easy and short => FULL PACKAGE !

Well you asked for suggestions.

I (my taste) definitely would prefer a button which picks up main color.

I think just what smalls the 100 % if at all is the metal itself but also the big color difference.

My suggestion goes to this:

22421967dw.jpg

Similar to these ones if only they would be a bit more polished - not much, a bit.

Entire blazer affects different now.

Calm & comfortable.

22421708sr.jpg

22421711el.jpg

Edited by bluepearl
  • Like 1

Great looking blazer pal! It's a wonderful design, and I like it just the way it is, buttons and all. It was the way the designer originally wanted it to be. If you want to change it, it's up to you. I don't really mind shoulder pads generally.

I'm a big fan of grey blazers, as they will go with anything. I also favor blue blazers, but grey is my favorite. It won't go out of style, in fact, your blazer fits in today.

You look great in it, and here's hoping that you will add it to your wardrobe, as it looks great, and should be worn.  

Great photos. Thank you for sharing Jerry!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, Victor, daytona365, tigerstripe.

Coop, I was sure about you liking that. I have some doubts about wearing it today, I dress quite different now, but who knows, this virus is contagious ;-)

Vicefan777, yes it fits, after all it's still myself, and I have more or less the same shape, even after almost 30 years ;-)

BLUE!!! Yes I asked for suggestions, but I really didn't expect that! You not only suggested me an alternative, you actually did a photo mockup to show how it would look. Thanks a lot for the time you dedicated to it. And thanks for your comments too, of course.

Glad this item has been appreciated. After all, what better place to show it ;-)

JB

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

Oh, You know what, when I said the buttons looked fine, I was looking at Bluepearl's mock up photo! :D  It does look good that way!  It may not be your style today Jerry, but if you do give it a try, it may be your style again. I still wear my 80's blazers!

Oh, You know what, when I said the buttons looked fine, I was looking at Bluepearl's mock up photo! :D 

:)  :)  ;)   lol.....

Okay then I will show the origins too...

22423927cg.jpg

• Like 1

O.k., I DO like the version you posted Blue! I just thought that was the way it was, I had no idea you put those better looking buttons on there! Great skills there. Yes, I'd like it better with the buttons you chose.

• Like 1

I like the material. I also think the buttons look fine as-is, but if it had to be done, I'd replace them with simple black ones for a bit of contrast.

Thanks a lot, guys.

I like the matt grey textured buttons more than the original chrome ones. If I can find them, or similar ones, maybe I will wear that jacket again once in a while.

PS I will go out on a 4 day vacation at the end of the month, I plan to bring my few survived vicey blazers and take pics in a "marina" environment. Let's see ;-)

• Like 1

I still haven't taken pictures of all my blazers yet. I have threads scattered all over the Scrapbook section with me and my blazers. 

Yours is a particularly nice one, as it's not too flashy, and not too subtle. You picked a great one! Looking forward to seeing what else you have.

What area were the marina photos taken?

A few months ago, I'll bet you had no idea that you'd be looking back into your MIAMI VICE past, and get a kick sharing it to those who love it. It's a fun, warm feeling, isn't it?

• Like 1

Coop, you're right, pal. I had no idea that MV could come back like that in my life.

It actually never faded, but it was put in the attic. Miami Vice will always be part of me, cause it was even before the show came up. Who follows my scripts knows what I mean. Nevertheless, that's no longer my style. I have few survived items from that era: the pale orange trousers, this blazer, another Pal Zileri electric blue blazer and a particular one-of-a-kind white shirt. Last year - and that's your fault - I bought a white blazer again but I never wore it.

Maybe my current look resembles more an aged Don than an adrenaline Sonny. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with a pink tee and a white blazer. If I'll take such pics it will only be to share them with you guys. This grey blazer is a bit different, maybe it can be worn in some cases.

The marina I was talking about is a place where I'm going at the end of July, I didn't take the pics yet. But the trip is a surprise birthday gift, so I don't know the destination yet :-)

If you're referring to my old post (blue blazer), I think it was Minorca, Spain.

And yes, my MV side and my love for the 80s finally found a home in this community. I docked my boat here and I think I'm gonna stay for long.

Lastly, I want to take the chance to thank every single member showed appreciation for my thoughts sending me 300 likes in 1/2 year. Thanks guys.

• Like 4

Great blazer Jerry! It looks like the blazer worn by Crockett in episodes Miami Squeeze and Jack Of All Trades :

33fdtw4.jpg

2uzotih.jpg

rcqark.jpg

iqdmvr.jpg

Edited by Crockettt

Hey Crockettt, thanks for your post! I would never found that.

Yes the jacket you found looks similar, but I think the one worn by SC is thicker and made of some linen or cotton fabric, while mine is lightweight and the fabric is silky/metalic.

Glad this item keeps earning comments ;-)

PS I had the chance to wear it a couple of times siince my post, still looking for replacement buttons, but - guys - it still rocks. It earns glances and jealous looks.

I didn't expect it. The cleaner herself was mad about it LOL

Should I add the 80s have been the best time for fashion? (yes I know, not only for fashion ;-)

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Look Jerry, I know I messaged you about this blazer and you're not interested in selling it LOL but I'm curious, can you give any kind of indicator to help me find something similar? Perhaps, the brand, model number, anything? Or the pattern name? I'm sure a jacket like this would attract a hell of a lot of attention. In a good way.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:48 AM, pmconroy said:

Look Jerry, I know I messaged you about this blazer and you're not interested in selling it LOL but I'm curious, can you give any kind of indicator to help me find something similar? Perhaps, the brand, model number, anything? Or the pattern name? I'm sure a jacket like this would attract a hell of a lot of attention. In a good way.

2018 Navyboot Blazer. This brand is only available in Switzerland though I think. It's a slightly thicker fabric, suitable for early fall or late spring.

Navyboot1.thumb.jpg.649f75e9408c6883dc705067702f32f5.jpg

Navyboot2.thumb.jpg.98f8965b0d56517dba4c38018062ae0e.jpg

or how about this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAUREN-MENS-50-40-R-BLAZER-JACKET-TWEED-WOOL-GREY-TEAL-HOUNDSTOOTH-CHECK/163560219536?hash=item2614f2e390:g:Hc0AAOSwK6RZG7Oj

Edited by daytona365

34 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

2018 Navyboot Blazer. This brand is only available in Switzerland though I think. It's a slightly thicker fabric, suitable for early fall or late spring.

Navyboot1.thumb.jpg.649f75e9408c6883dc705067702f32f5.jpg

Navyboot2.thumb.jpg.98f8965b0d56517dba4c38018062ae0e.jpg

or how about this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAUREN-MENS-50-40-R-BLAZER-JACKET-TWEED-WOOL-GREY-TEAL-HOUNDSTOOTH-CHECK/163560219536?hash=item2614f2e390:g:Hc0AAOSwK6RZG7Oj

Very nice for sure. Really difficult to find such patterns and in a material that suits the look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to see this thread is still alive! Nice find, a bit heavier than mine, but cool.

You know, this is one of the very few things I kept from my 80s collection.  After 1992 I dropped the vice style and never went back. The only exception's been when I joined this community, in 2014, mostly to show some of my survived items to the members (my present avatar is a 2015 shot, the white henley I wear is from the 80s too). I had several Armani and Pal Zileri blazers and a lot of other stuff. I sold or gave away almost everything. Times are changed and my age now is closer to Don than Sonny Crockett! haha!

I still have a pair of large pale orange trousers and a white collarless shirt with embroidered blue stripes. Maybe I will take some pics of them. The blazer is from an Italian factory I don't recall the name of, but I'm afraid they're no longer in the business.

• Like 1