Happy Birthday Agent 47

COOPER&BURNETT

Happy Birthay agent 47!

24 years is a great age. In a way, I still feel 24. However, when I was 24, MIAMI VICE had already ended it's TV run. It never ended for me.

Enjoy this age pal, and have a great Birthday!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 2

Thanks, Coop! Gotta' say I've been waiting for this particular age because I can introduce myself with this opening:

Awwww, yeah ... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Oh Hey happy birthday man. and hey if you need a laugh this is a good episode

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

Thanks for the birthday wishes Kavinsky & Vicefan7777!  :thumbsup:

Sadly I wasn't able to hit the beach today because we got a lot of wind and lightning (plus there's still warnings out for that flesh eating bacteria in the gulf :eek: ) so stayed home for a quiet evening of hot dogs and Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (the main star Warren Oates shares the same birthday). Now off to Vice City for the "fireworks" ... in style of course.

Edited by agent 47

Happy B-day!

You being 24 and me just 22 myself - we represent the younger generation of Miami Vicers here.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Happy vicey birthday, pal.

M. Castillo, it's great to see the younger guys carrying high the torch. I'm sure I speak for the many older ones here ;-)

• Like 2

Sam Peckinpah's Alfredo Garcia (the main star Warren Oates shares the same birthday). 

That's a great movie. The best Sam Peckinpah film IMO. I wasn't too keen on the Wild Bunch but Alfredo Garcia is great. It's Peckinpah's most personal film and it was an allegory for himself. I actually hated it the first time I saw it. It took me a few viewings to like it. Apparently that's the case with that film, you hate it the first time then it grows on you. It has slow stretches but it's good points make up for it's shortcomings. Probably the best film about Mexico. It has great shoot outs and an incredibly sleazy, seedy atmosphere which I like.

Warren Oates was a great actor. He was also great in the title role in Dillinger (1973), which blew away Mr. Mann's Dillinger film. 

He was also great in Two Lane Blacktop and he had a small role in the classic Badlands. His most controversial film is Cockfighter (1974), which I wasn't too keen on as it has graphic scenes of actual cockfights.

The best Oates flick for me is Race With The Devil. Fantastic film. 

Unfortunately Oates is probably best known to most people as Sgt Hulka in Stripes which tends to eclipse his best acting work.

And happy bday agent 47!

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

That's a great movie. My favourite Sam Peckinpah. I wasn't too keen on the Wild Bunch but Alfredo Garcia is great. It's Peckinpah's most personal film and it was an allegory for himself. I actually hated it the first time I saw it. It took me a few viewings to like it. Apparently that's the case with that film, you hate it the first time then it grows on you. It has slow stretches but it's good points make up for it's shortcomings. Probably the best film about Mexico. It has great shoot outs and an incredibly sleazy, seedy atmosphere which I like.

Warren Oates was a great actor. He was also great in the title role in Dillinger (1973), which blew away Mr. Mann's Dillinger film. 

He was also great in Two Lane Blacktop and he had a small role in the classic Badlands. His most controversial film is Cockfighter (1974), which I wasn't too keen on as it has graphic scenes of actual cockfights.

My favourite Oates flick is Race With The Devil. Fantastic film. 

Unfortunately Oates is probably best known to most people as Sgt Hulka in Stripes which tends to eclipse his best acting work.

And happy bday agent 47!

I remember when I first saw Alfredo I didn't hate it but I felt unsure about it. Over time though it stuck out in my mind so I ebayed a DVD last December and upon further viewings it's become one of my favorite films of the era. I agree on it being probably the best film about Mexico and it did get me a little nostalgic at times about growing up in a neighborhood with mostly Mexican immigrants as this film really does capture the culture as authentically as I've ever seen on film. The only other Peckinpah movies I've seen are The Wild Bunch and The Getaway both of which I liked although I can't help but think of the former as sort of a dry run for what Alfredo was to be and the latter was fun but McQueen had a lot of clout over how the final cut turned out which irked Peckinpah and it lacked the dark surreal aspects the book had. Alfredo though feels like it was everything Peckinpah was trying to achieve and it felt like a fully finished product.

He really nailed Dillinger and that was a fun movie. One thing Depp's Dillinger lacked was the true arrogance that Dillinger had  and it also had a sense of existentialism which only really fits as a re-evaluation of the time period and Dillinger's life but not in an actual telling of the story. I haven't seen Two-Lane Blacktop or Badlands as I haven't caught up to those directors works yet and Cockfighter is a film I'm unsure I'm going to see because while I saw things like that growing up (and had been charged at by an angry rooster myself) that is harder to stomach knowing they had real cockfights. It looks great from the trailer though and has Harry Dean Stanton. Haven't seen Race with the Devil either.

Stripes is a film I didn't much care to be honest and it is a shame that he's probably most remembered for that as he didn't really have much there to work with. Maybe I had higher expectations since it came from the same minds who made Caddyshack and GhostBusters but the film never clicked for me.

Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes! :thumbsup:

I thought The Getaway was a blah movie. Ali MacGraw was the Megan Fox of the '70s

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 2

Two Lane Blacktop is the 2001: A Space odyssey of car movies in that it's very slow and has minimal character depth

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

No I always thought it was Dirty Marry Crazy Larry, or the Gumball Rally, although that one has that annoying couple in it.

• Like 1