Episode #89 "Deliver Us From Evil"

Ferrariman

I've now changed my original rating for Deliver us from Evil. This is an absolutely fantastic episode. Vice at it's best. I'd give it 10 but the presence of Izzy and Caitlin's singing make the rating 9.5/10

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There appears to be a Mann's touch in this episode. The intro cutting from inside to outside the house where we hear the gunshot is just like in Heat when DeNiro shoots Trejo. It also cuts to outside the house where we hear the gunshot

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The sequel to 3rd Season's "Forgive Us Our Debts"...and the first part of a 4-part Crockett storyline.Compared to the other 3 parts, I like this one the best. Crockett still knows who he is and he gives an amazing performance! A very deep, emotional, and tragic episode for Sonny...especially revolving around the death of his wife Caitlin. I never really cared all that much for the character of Caitlin...but it was sad and heart-wrenching when she was shot. :cry:Guy Boyd once again gives a superb performance as the sociopath / psychopath Frank Hackman, and he pretty much creeps / freaks me out...NOT who you'd want breaking into your house! He'd rather kill for the fun of it, than steal junk. :eek: The beginning was pretty horrifying for the time, with the teen girl being shot, but that also got your attention right away and kept you "glued" to the screen. Izzy was funny in this one, as the so-called jewelry dealer, and the banter between him, Stan, and Trudy was hilarious! :) In turn the "dark" and abusive scenes with Johnny Blatt and his girlfriend sort of counter-balanced the "feel" and emotions for this one. I love it when his girlfriend works it out with Crockett and Tubbs to set Blatt up! That piece of garbage definitely had it coming! :done:I really liked the fashion, especially with Crockett...the pastels and very reminiscent of seasons 1 and 2! :clap: I also loved the music in this one...with We Do What We're Told by Peter Gabriel, and the two songs by Sheena Easton (Caitlin): Follow My Rainbow and Don't Turn Your Back. The Jan Hammer themes are, as always, superb! However, my favorite song is the Hoagy Carmichael classic Lazy Bones! :radio:Then ending was awesome...where Crockett finally has his revenge and gets to take Hackman out. :thumbsup: The first time I ever saw this episode I thought Sonny did just shoot Hackman in cold blood...for revenge on killing his wife and former partner. But, in watching it several times more closely over the years I came to realize that Hackman had actually tired to pull a gun, but Crockett was faster. ;) I really liked how Crockett had his time of sorrow and depression...but then got it together and knew what he had to do...to become cold and calculating, all to find where Hackman was and to finally take him out. Overall I really like this episode; awesome plot, performances, music, etc...I gave it a 9! :clap:

NOT who you'd want breaking into your house! He'd rather kill for the fun of it, than steal junk. :eek: The beginning was pretty horrifying for the time, with the teen girl being shot, but that also got your attention right away and kept you "glued" to the screen. Izzy was funny in this one, as the so-called jewelry dealer, and the banter between him, Stan, and Trudy was hilarious! :) In turn the "dark" and abusive scenes with Johnny Blatt and his girlfriend sort of counter-balanced the "feel" and emotions for this one. I love it when his girlfriend works it out with Crockett and Tubbs to set Blatt up! That piece of garbage definitely had it coming! :done:I really liked the fashion, especially with Crockett...the pastels and very reminiscent of seasons 1 and 2! :clap: I also loved the music in this one...with We Do What We're Told by Peter Gabriel, and the two songs by Sheena Easton (Caitlin): Follow My Rainbow and Don't Turn Your Back. The Jan Hammer themes are, as always, superb! However, my favorite song is the Hoagy Carmichael classic Lazy Bones! :radio:Then ending was awesome...where Crockett finally has his revenge and gets to take Hackman out. :thumbsup: The first time I ever saw this episode I thought Sonny did just shoot Hackman in cold blood...for revenge on killing his wife and former partner. But, in watching it several times more closely over the years I came to realize that Hackman had actually tired to pull a gun, but Crockett was faster. ;) I really liked how Crockett had his time of sorrow and depression...but then got it together and knew what he had to do...to become cold and calculating, all to find where Hackman was and to finally take him out. Overall I really like this episode; awesome plot, performances, music, etc...I gave it a 9! :clap:

Just ignore the fact that that hackman has a gun. Crockett shoots him in cold blood. The studio just made them change it because apparently you can't have the protagonist shoot unarmed people.Great scene anyway, Don really is a good actor, must be hard to cry on cue like that. I like how he doesnt even flinch, you know the guy's badass. It always annoys me in Lethal weapon, Mel gibson's supposed to be this weapons expert yet he can't shoot without closing his eyes like a baby.

Good episode but whats with all the filters and stuff blocking the screen. I'm sure it was revolutionary at the time but now it just looks like crap. They do it alot in the later seasons. They just put blue fliters on cloudy skies to make it look nice. Strikes of laziness

• Like 1

With everything being said one thing always left me wondering as it was never brought to fruition in S5..........When Caitlin died Sonny, as husband, should have inherited quite a chunk of change, yet in the final episode when he drops Tubbs off he says "do you need a ride in my stolen Ferrari"Crocket should have been set for life with Caitlin's money!Just one of those little questions that were never really answered in the series................

Well, he was a cop and they probably thought it would go over better if Crockett got to shoot Hackman legitimately...even though we knew he originally did go to shoot Hackman in cold blood no matter what. Same thing in the show "Hunter"--Hunter went to kill McCall's, his partner's, rapist in revenge when the guy got away with it...but then realized he couldn't. However, the rapist then tries to shoot Hunter, and Hunter again got to shoot the rapist in self defense. Same idea. But, in a "Magnum, p.i." episode Magnum does end up shooting an evil guy in cold blood...it was very controversial at the time, but it was a superb episode and Tom Selleck is also an awesome actor!

"MV" was all about different colors" data-date=" lighting, the bizarre, etc... So, don">

With everything being said one thing always left me wondering as it was never brought to fruition in S5..........When Caitlin died Sonny, as husband, should have inherited quite a chunk of change, yet in the final episode when he drops Tubbs off he says "do you need a ride in my stolen Ferrari"Crocket should have been set for life with Caitlin's money!Just one of those little questions that were never really answered in the series................

Now this is an interesting aspect and very good question to bring up...I never really thought about that! :baby: What the heck did happen to all of Caitlin's money and estate? Did she give it all to charity, did her eccentric assistant Angie get it all, or maybe those two evil agents that tried to have her killed had embezzled and/or squandered most of her fortune over the years, and there was nothing left? Whatever the case, this aspect should have been explained. Stinger's right...one of those other open-ended storylines/questions never returned to or answered. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

A very powerful episode, not only for the season but the series as a whole.  Despite the lightness of the first season, the show would substantially show and increase toward cynicism and existentialism as the series progressed, and it seemed almost inevitable that Crockett would eventually reach this mental crossroads considering the dangerous and isolating job he has, the family members and friends outside of OCB that he either lost through their death (i.e. Frankel, Eddie Rivera, Larry Zito, Sara Davis), or estrangement (i.e. his divorced first wife, his son), or revealed to have criminal ties/vices (i.e.Theresa Lyons, Christine Von Marburg) that conflicted with his job.  In addition with his personality in being able to "feel" & empathize more than his fellow officers (i.e. Crockett feeling sympathy for a security guard back in "El Viejo" and Archie Ellis' death in "The Good Collar"), it sets Crockett up for a further suspectibility in dealing with a mental breakdown.

From the character depiction of Crockett and the darker direction of the show, it seemed that Crockett had a psychological desperation of sorts for some type of outside positive companionship (outside of OCB and the police force that is) whether that be through friends, lovers, or even his own child Billy, that would subconsciously restrain him from falling over the cliff of hopelessness, despondency, and retaliatory disgust.  ...Somebody that would be a sancutary for the exhaustive mental and emotional toll that his grueling job endured, and after all that had transpired in the first three seasons, he placed that onto his wife Caitlin Davies.

When Caitlin Davies was killed, especially in such a sadistic manner, on top of Crockett's history with Hackman, and probably the worst part... freeing Hackman (making Crockett feel responsible for killing Caitlin since freeing him allowed the murder to happen), it's understandable to see how he's pushed over the edge when everything he believes in (especially the law) and hopes for (a peaceful and enjoyable life with Caitlin) shatters.  Although her character herself wasn't a remarkable character in itself, her character symbolized the elusive happiness and positivity that he was always chasing for (which could explain the quick wedding) amidst working within the cruel criminal underworld of Miami.

It was great dramatic symmetery when Crockett returned the cross necklace back to Hackman, implying that Hackman would need it (sending Hackman to the afterlife) after Crockett realized that Hackman wasn't going anywhere (not leaving the island) and how Hackman stated at the end of "Forgive Us Our Debts" that he "wouldn't be needing it (the cross necklace) anymore".  One thing a person could debate that would lessen the impact of Crockett killing Hackman was, and not that Hackman had a gun in his hand (I ignored that bit since it didn't fit with the dialogue at all, and according to the show's wikia, the gun was there because of the NBC censors), but that Crockett was merely acting as executioner rather than performing vigilante justice since Hackman was already sentenced to death (due to the death penalty in Florida) after a through court case, and all of the testimonies from Hackman's associates were false (in "Forgive Us Our Debts"), that Crockett was merely expediting what Florida's law demanded toward Hackman.  I guess it would have been more dramatic if the punishment was a life-sentence rather than Hackman being sentenced to death, which would make one to question the structure of the American law system in how far do we set the limits of redemption for criminals when it comes to criminal punishment.

Although Izzy's appearance was somewhat superfluous to the plot itself, I think it was added for comic relief considering that this would be one of the heaviest and darkest episodes of the series.

One of the biggest weaknesses I believe was how the episode didn't reintroduce Tubbs' personal experience with family loss (losing Angelina and his son from "Sons and Lovers") when he met with Crockett during his mourning period at his boat.  It would have been a powerful dramatic exchange as the roles of griever and comforter would have been switched in this situation, and it would have made their friendship bond even closer as they have experienced nearly the same level of loss (losing a wife/lover and a child).  Doing so could have made their friendship bond more tangible, and could have more explicitly revealed their blood brothers bond.  Plus, it would have been an intriguing development if it came to Tubbs' awareness to see Tubbs try to restrain Crockett's rage toward Hackman in the same way Crockett tried to restrain Tubbs' rage against Calderone ("Brother's Keeper") and against Harrison and Lyons ("Sons and Lovers").

It was a heartbreaking episode, again and again with each development in the course of the episode, and none more so in seeing Crockett walk in a constrained manner with Sheena's "Follow My Rainbow" playing in the end, to show the diametrically contrasting and extreme rollercoaster of emotions occuring between the song (one of his highest in having Caitlin back in town) and the plot's ending (one of his darkest and lowest in violating the law system that he believed in).  Nevertheless, the episode is one of the best throughout the series as we see Crockett transform into somebody the audience couldn't have possibly imagined in the beginning of the series through a believable progression in the series.  As much as it may pain to see this beloved character experience such heartache, it does explore the boundaries of psychological endurance when dealing with so much cruelity and sadistic behavior in a criminal underworld that many in the audience couldn't imagine nor want to experience, which gives this episode its intriguing flair.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Okay I watched this episode again last night and you know I wondered if Sonny did shot hackman because hackman at the end had a gun in his hand most likely this discussion was talked about but I wondered and now I watched it and yes Sonny shot him

From the character depiction of Crockett and the darker direction of the show, it seemed that Crockett had a psychological desperation of sorts for some type of outside positive companionship (outside of OCB and the police force that is) whether that be through friends, lovers, or even his own child Billy, that would subconsciously restrain him from falling over the cliff of hopelessness, despondency, and retaliatory disgust.  ...Somebody that would be a sancutary for the exhaustive mental and emotional toll that his grueling job endured, and after all that had transpired in the first three seasons, he placed that onto his wife Caitlin Davies.

When Caitlin Davies was killed, especially in such a sadistic manner, on top of Crockett's history with Hackman, and probably the worst part... freeing Hackman (making Crockett feel responsible for killing Caitlin since freeing him allowed the murder to happen), it's understandable to see how he's pushed over the edge when everything he believes in (especially the law) and hopes for (a peaceful and enjoyable life with Caitlin) shatters.  Although her character herself wasn't a remarkable character in itself, her character symbolized the elusive happiness and positivity that he was always chasing for (which could explain the quick wedding) amidst working within the cruel criminal underworld of Miami.

Vice Immersion, your entire post was absolutely awesome and perfectly expressed.

I have to agree after reading your words that Crockett did have that need for a positive outside companionship.  That's an aspect I had never really considered before and would explain his impetuous marriage to Caitlin (as well as many of his other relationships with women that escalated speedily into intimacy).  Although I could never see that he and Caitlin had much in common, she certainly did represent happiness and positivity as well as bravery (in standing up against her evil manager) to him.

It was a shame Tubbs' experience with a very similar loss wasn't used in the episode, but my take was that 1) Tubbs couldn't deal with it/hadn't ever dealt with it well enough to risk putting his feelings out there with Crockett.  2) Crockett was also really, really good at pushing his friends away when he couldn't cope with his feelings of loss or failure.  I think he was quite self-aware but he was very reluctant to share.  He preferred to anesthetize himself against the pain.   He was able to empathize with others but he had a lot of trouble accepting their help in return.

I don't want to say too much because I'm trying to view the whole series in order and although I watched Deliver Us From Evil a few weeks ago, I'm still at the end of S1 in my re-view of the show from beginning to end.  So I'll stop here but I did want to thank you for your great and insightful post.   

• Like 1

Vice Immersion, your entire post was absolutely awesome and perfectly expressed.

I have to agree after reading your words that Crockett did have that need for a positive outside companionship.  That's an aspect I had never really considered before and would explain his impetuous marriage to Caitlin (as well as many of his other relationships with women that escalated speedily into intimacy).  Although I could never see that he and Caitlin had much in common, she certainly did represent happiness and positivity as well as bravery (in standing up against her evil manager) to him.

It was a shame Tubbs' experience with a very similar loss wasn't used in the episode, but my take was that 1) Tubbs couldn't deal with it/hadn't ever dealt with it well enough to risk putting his feelings out there with Crockett.  2) Crockett was also really, really good at pushing his friends away when he couldn't cope with his feelings of loss or failure.  I think he was quite self-aware but he was very reluctant to share.  He preferred to anesthetize himself against the pain.   He was able to empathize with others but he had a lot of trouble accepting their help in return.

I don't want to say too much because I'm trying to view the whole series in order and although I watched Deliver Us From Evil a few weeks ago, I'm still at the end of S1 in my re-view of the show from beginning to end.  So I'll stop here but I did want to thank you for your great and insightful post.   

Thanks vicegirl85 for the kind words.  :D  I guess with me, I was noticing how the series was consistently focusing on his solitary, wistful demeanor as the series progressed and how his mental/emotional "safety net" of close ones was gradually having less and less support, with how isolating his job/lifestyle was.  I felt that something dramatic had to give sooner or later.  (Now whether this was consciously planned by the production staff is a whole other story to discuss... :p )

Eventually, it seems this psychological isolation is more explicitly expressed by the time Season 5's "Miami Squeeze" arrives when he describes his situation to the psychologist.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

This is my favorite episode of Season 4. Sonny snaps and begins the "burn out" phase of the tired cop. 

Best thing of all, no more Sheena Easton! Have to agree with Tommy V's comment, the audience isn't going to miss her. Her horrible acting on this show ruined a bit of this season and the way Sonny's mourning was handled, it was perfection. The scene on the boat really shows the burn out that Crockett is going through.

My absolute favorite thing about this episode is where Sonny holds the cross that Hackman gave to him. "I won't be needing this anymore, maybe you can use it." That scene from Forgive Us Our Debts was a perfect metaphorical crucifixion that had happened to Sonny...and then in the end, he gives it back to Hackman before killing him. 

1174867750_1.jpg

Nothing tops that moment. Yes, I know NBC censored it by adding a piece in Hackman's hand but that still don't take away from it the fact that Crockett does murder him straight up unarmed. From another perspective, maybe that gun was planted, afterwards? Just using my imagination. 

9 out of 10 for me. 

• 1 month later...

while there's a very big event that takes place in this episode, i've never felt like it was 'great'. The episode feels short to me for some reason. the first half of the episode feels kind of dull in a way. i'd give it 8/10

i also don't get Sonny trying to transfer out of Vice. The Hackman case was actually never a vice case anyway. i think when he originally put him away wasn't he still in robbery?

• 10 months later...

Damn. This one's awesome.

Hackman truly is Crocketts nemesis. That laugh too.

The opening is great in a disturbing way.

Great action in this one.

You're really rooting for Crockett in this one.

Blatt was a total bastard. The scenes with him and Julia were pretty heavy.

Sheena Easton has a better haircut. Her concert lasts too long though.

This episode features my favorite ending of the series. LOVE the moment with Crockett dropping the crucifix with that music playing. Badass. The fact that DJ didn't blink during the shot makes it even better. I still squint a little when shooting lol.

9/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You are not blind. It is supposed to be ambiguous as to whether Hackman was armed the entire time.  Originally Sonny was to simply have executed him unarmed, but NBC did not want Crockett to be seen in that light so they added the pistol last-minute.  You as the viewer can decide whether Sonny planted it or not.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Does anybody think Castillo knew and maybe even endorsed Sonny going after Hackman on his own?  If you believe he took matters into his own hands in Borrasca then he's not above that sort of thing.

• Like 3

I think Castillo at least knew Sonny would try. And Castillo also knew he couldn't really stop him if he decided to do so. Not sure if he endorsed it, but I'm certain he understood it.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The scene where Tubbs tells Sonny that Caitlin was pregnant when she was killed was such a powerful moment. The episode ranks among my all time favourites and like ViceFanMan I find it to be the best episode of the four part story.

Edited by IzzyFan99
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/17/2013 at 12:55 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

There appears to be a Mann's touch in this episode. The intro cutting from inside to outside the house where we hear the gunshot is just like in Heat when DeNiro shoots Trejo. It also cuts to outside the house where we hear the gunshot

Coroner scene also.

We see that scene again in Collateral.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is my second favourite episode in the entire series. 10/10 all the way......... And that ending is so.......... good....... the rest of the episode is dark, sad, and has an intresting athmosphere. Good music, amazing plot, Testarossa scenes, and one of our favourite villans, Hackman, that tricked us a season and half before. This is only behind Freefall for me. I can't really find any criticism for this, only that it could've been a longer type episode....... While Season 4 was half made by mediocre episodes, this one episode alone lifts that whole garbage bag up. And the finale too...... one on my favourite episodes also.

Edited by Adrian321
  • Like 1

Yeah, season 4 was all over the place in story quality. Episodes like this gave me faith the show still had decent writers.

With the first Hackman episode being 'Forgive us our debts' I'm wondering if they knew back then where this 'deliver us from evil' story arch was heading? I doubt they'd considered the amnesia aspect that followed, but did they know way back in season 3 that Sonny would begin unraveling by the end of s4?

Anyway, the final scene with Sonny dangling and dropping the necklace was satisfying and disturbing. Hackman had relied on Sonny's morality to get off of death row. but now you could see it dawn on Hackman that Crockett wasn't "just doing his job" anymore.

For that reason I could kind of buy the idea of Hackman reaching for a gun while pretending to just lay there. I know it was an addition made to calm censors back then, but that is how I narratively rationalise it.

It didn't detract from the power of the scene.

I have no way of knowing whether "Deliver Us From Evil" was planned or thought of in any way during "Forgive Us Our Debts".  Based on other instances of lack of continuity and not following up intriguing loose ends during the series run, I just don't feel like there was the amount of planning for this to have been purposely planned ahead.  But it could easily have been something that the producer/ director/ writers seized on when planning the Caitlin story arc--and I do think that was planned, much more so than any other sequence of episodes (if only for the contractual reason of signing Sheena Easton for just 5 episodes).

1 hour ago, fakespyder said:

(snipped)Anyway, the final scene with Sonny dangling and dropping the necklace was satisfying and disturbing. Hackman had relied on Sonny's morality to get off of death row. but now you could see it dawn on Hackman that Crockett wasn't "just doing his job" anymore.

For that reason I could kind of buy the idea of Hackman reaching for a gun while pretending to just lay there. I know it was an addition made to calm censors back then, but that is how I narratively rationalise it.

It didn't detract from the power of the scene.

I've always felt that Hackman could well have had a gun constantly at hand, just in case.  So while that may have been something insisted on by censors, I also felt it was a great way to end the scene and the Hackman history with ambiguity, so that each viewer would have to decide for themselves.  I agree, it was a powerful scene and a powerful ending.  The ending of The Sopranos was similarly ambiguous, and I'm sure that was planned ahead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

But it could easily have been something that the producer/ director/ writers seized on when planning the Caitlin story arc--and I do think that was planned, much more so than any other sequence of episodes (if only for the contractual reason of signing Sheena Easton for just 5 episodes).

I know from a interview (with someone of the producers/writers/...?) that is was planned that Caitlin would leave Crockett in some way, but it wasn´t planned in advance why/how exactly. I remember that  e.g. divorce was mentioned as a possibility.

And I agree, I´m pretty sure that "Deliver Us from Evil" wasn´t planned already in S3.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 2