Episode #15 "Smuggler’s Blues"

Ferrariman

GREAT!!!!!This was a true Vice episode. Crockett and Tubbs would exchange leads from time to time and once again it was Tubbs moment. 10 ALL THE WAY!!!!! Just amazed by this episode. I LOVE IT!!!!

Why Smuggler’s Blues so dark on TV?Why is Smuggler’s Blues so dark on the DVD? I just watched it on Centric the other night and it was so much brighter. In the beginning when they were sitting in the car on the bridge I could see the color of Tubbs jacket and shirt, but on the DVD you can't. Anyone else have this issue?

• 8 months later...

Smuggler's Blues is one of the most popular and famous VICE episodes!:happy::happy::clap:From this moment VICE became enormously well-known and achieves its breakthrough!:glossy:When you watch this episode, it's clear why it's such successful: all elements which charakterise VICE are represented - from fantastic music (Smuggler's Blues by Glenn Frey and Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider are Grammy-worthy!:radio:) to a strong and racy plot and to awesome locations like Columbia (respectively Puerto Rico)!:thumbsup:With this plot about smuggling drugs from South America to the USA, VICE hits the zeitgeist and especially the problems of these times perfectly!:clap:Additionally the Columbia-scenes are shown very realistically I think, because they describe everyday life there very good.Sonny compares life on the streets of Cartagena in 1985 with Dodge City in the 19th century - that's not far-fetched!:oAt the end Sonny must rescue Trudy. I also like these trailer scenes because they are very thrilling.Besides the plot, Glenn Frey as Jimmy is overwhelming:glossy:, also Jamie Sanchez as Grocero and Coati Mundi as Tucker is seltected excellently for the drug-party scene ("Honey - Sonny. Sonny - Honey!":D)10 of 10 points.

"Honey - Sonny. Sonny - Honey!":D)10 of 10 points.

Totally agree, Joe! One of the best and most exciting to watch! :thumbsup:

"Honey - Sonny. Sonny - Honey!":D)10 of 10 points.

:thumbsup: Oh yes Joe Smugglers Blues is one of my absolut favorit MV episodes ever . The Story , the Music , Glenn Frey really really good . PMT and DJ are great .I like it to seen ....every time . :cool:10 of 10 points from me .

• 2 months later...

Smuggler's Blues15. Smuggler’s Blues Wow! There are so many great things about this episode that I couldn’t list everything even if I wanted to. First off, the music in this episode is excellent. Glenn Frey is a great artist and two of my favorite songs of his are in Miami Vice. (You Belong to the City and Smuggler’s Blues of course.) Smuggler’s Blues is a terrific song and the fact that it plays many times throughout the whole episode makes me want to watch it over and over again just for that. The scene where Crockett and Tubbs are returning to Miami is awesome because the song is playing and we also see some great scenery and aerial shots of Miami. Glenn Frey did a good job in this episode too. I really liked his character Jimmy. Crockett and Him have a moment when they share to each other that they lost a lot of friends when they were at war. I thought it was funny how they included so many lines from the song into the show. Politics of Contraband from Waters, and Nature of the Business from Jimmy. This episode is just great because there is constant action and never a slow moment. From the very start to the very end, it is a rollercoaster. When they are trying to free Trudy from the trailer, Tubbs is left with trying to stall time. Luckily he jumped down to the boat and bought just enough time. The first time I saw this episode, I missed the Miami Dolphins part at the beginning at OCB so when they said he was their Miami Dolphins fan at the end I was confused. Picked it up the second time around so all is well. In the end, cash is king. Money drives us to do different things whether small or big. Like Tubbs said, “What’s there to understand, Bottom Line is MONEY.†True True. This is a terrific episode and is one episode I would recommend a Vice newbie watch first. Glenn Frey guest starring and providing his hit song made this episode even more appealing. 10/10

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Rating this one is a no-brainer. I mean this is one of those truly classic episodes and there's nothing I would change about it. It's also great to see Glenn Frey and not just heard one of his great songs. 10/10

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Jumped straight to this one as part of my Vice rewatching. This is one of the best. Great plot, acting, music, style - such a comparison to later episodes with none of the campness. And plenty of time given to the support cast too. It's great to be back watching prime Vice, I was afraid I might have imagined it.10/10

Jumped straight to this one as part of my Vice rewatching. This is one of the best. Great plot' date=' acting, music, style - such a comparison to later episodes with none of the campness. And plenty of time given to the support cast too. It's great to be back watching prime Vice, I was afraid I might have imagined it.10/10[/quote']Completely agree! This one is definitely one of the best and was one of the episodes that truly captured what "MV" was all about--definitely a 10! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Mann didn't do so great of a job trying to reuse elements of Smuggler's Blues in the MV movie. In its original episode, it works perfectly. Anything directed by Paul Michael Glaser for Vice was great. It's too bad he didn't do more.

Michael Mann didn't do so great of a job trying to reuse elements of Smuggler's Blues in the MV movie. In its original episode' date=' it works perfectly. Anything directed by Paul Michael Glaser for Vice was great. It's too bad he didn't do more.[/quote']Despite it being Michael Mann again--the "Miami Vice" 2006 movie was a disaster! :thumbsdown: It was boring, bad picture quality, the characters were shallow and had no depth, and it seemed half of it took place in Cuba and not Miami. I was greatly disappointed and disgusted with how the movie turned out. :sick: The original series kicks that movie's butt big-time!! ;)The only half-way "cool" thing about the "MV" movie was the small ode it gave to this episode--"Smuggler's Blues". This episode is one of "Vice's" best and is one of my all-time favorites. :cool:

• 2 months later...

One of the top episodes of Season One (top 10 or so). Had a great opening, the songs used in this episode were some of my favs from this season (Smuggler's Blues and Lunatic Fringe are great songs, both fit well in this episode)! The storyline was good, and I loved the twist at the end when they discovered who the bomber was. Glenn Frey was great at playing Jimmy the pilot, and C&T always kicking ass as usual, coming off nice and cool :)Even though one little thing was missing to make it a 10, it's still a very enjoyable episode, one that I'd show to my friends to introduce them to Vice.9/10 on this one!

One of the top episodes of Season One (top 10 or so). Had a great opening' date=' the songs used in this episode were some of my favs from this season (Smuggler's Blues and Lunatic Fringe are great songs, both fit well in this episode)! The storyline was good, and I loved the twist at the end when they discovered who the bomber was. Glenn Frey was great at playing Jimmy the pilot, and C&T always kicking ass as usual, coming off nice and cool :)Even though one little thing was missing to make it a 10, it's still a very enjoyable episode, one that I'd show to my friends to introduce them to Vice.9/10 on this one![/quote']Agree with almost everything you said :thumbsup: ...but out of curiousity, what one little thing was missing to make it a 10? :confused:

Agree with almost everything you said :thumbsup: ...but out of curiousity' date=' what one little thing was missing to make it a 10? :confused:[/quote']Something like a car chase, or where C&T find something really important that they could've used to stop the bomber.A little more action :D

Something like a car chase' date=' or where C&T find something really important that they could've used to stop the bomber.A little more action :D[/quote']Ah..okay. I actually found the episode pretty awesome, and thought the action was fairly prevelant...but that's just me. :cool: One of my favorite episodes! :thumbsup:

Guest MetroVice

Smugglers BluesSince I have nothing but time on my hands anymore I decided to start from the very beginning of the series and step through it one by one (again). I must admit it's been quite a while since I've even seen any episodes and although I have the boxed set of all five seasons I recently began going through them again. Just the other day I got to Smugglers Blues and was reminded of how great this episode is. Great music, great action, just wonderful all around.Funny thing is I haven't even had to use my own boxed set since they're streamed on Netflix at the moment but with them that could change at any time. I swear, every time I watch an episode of Vice I just can't believe it only lasted five seasons, especially when you look at shows today and how many of them go seven, eight or nine seasons. I guess I'll never truly get over the fact the 80's are long gone but it's really funny because the amount of time that's passed since Vice aired is roughly the same time frame people were remembering the 50's and I never understood the connection people had to that period of time. However, I now understand how folks can have such a bond with certain periods of time because my "time" was the 80's, at least what I consider to be the best time of my life (the 90's weren't bad either, at least for me).God I wish they would re-do Vice one more time but at least we have this great web site that is kept alive by all you great people :thumbsup:

I'm watching this episode right now. The teaser is fantastic. It's only three minutes long but so much happens in that three minutes. Boom - boom - boom. One thing leads to another and you can't wait for the first act to commence because, as Crockett says, "I don't know what the hell is going on."