Episode #15 "Smuggler’s Blues"

Ferrariman

Vice I just can't believe it only lasted five seasons, especially when you look at shows today and how many of them go seven, eight or nine seasons. I guess I'll never truly get over the fact the 80's are long gone but it's really funny because the amount of time that's passed since Vice aired is roughly the same time frame people were remembering the 50's and I never understood the connection people had to that period of time. However, I now understand how folks can have such a bond with certain periods of time because my "time" was the 80's, at least what I consider to be the best time of my life (the 90's weren't bad either, at least for me).God I wish they would re-do Vice one more time but at least we have this great web site that is kept alive by all you great people :thumbsup:

I completely agree! I too can't believe that "MV" only lasted five seasons. If they had given it at least one or two more, I think they could have "polished" the series up again with better writers and plotlines. I mean "Hunter" lasted seven seasons..."Silk Stalkings" lasted eight (which was sort of the 90's version to "MV"), etc... But, ratings for "MV" had dropped majorly by season 5 :cry: and I think a few of the actors were tired of it and ready to move on--mainly Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos.Watching this episode right now again...I still love it and am just as enthralled with it as I was when I saw it for the first time! This and the 2-part "Calderone's Return" totally define "MV"!! :thumbsup: The 80's were a superb time--with almost everything: economy, clothes, music, movies, TV shows, etc...however (except for Crockett and Tubbs' cars) most of the cars of the 80's sucked in my opinion. :thumbsdown: Camaros and Corvettes were still cool though. :cool: However, the 80's were very reminiscent of the 50's...as the 50's too had a very good economy as well as cool TV shows, clothes, music, and cars. So, they sort of "tie" in with each other in a way. That may be why people connect with both decades. I personally love both! :thumbsup:Referring back to "Smuggler's Blues", and this may have been mentioned before in this "thread"...but anyone notice that Calderone himself wrote this episode? :eek::) Miguel Pinero wrote "MV" episodes "Smuggler's Blues" and "A Bullet For Crockett". He died even before "MV" went off the air, in 1988, of liver disease. :cry:

Guest MetroVice

Yes Indeed . . .

define "MV"!! :thumbsup: The 80's were a superb time--with almost everything: economy, clothes, music, movies, TV shows, etc...however (except for Crockett and Tubbs' cars) most of the cars of the 80's sucked in my opinion. :thumbsdown: Camaros and Corvettes were still cool though. :cool: However, the 80's were very reminiscent of the 50's...as the 50's too had a very good economy as well as cool TV shows, clothes, music, and cars. So, they sort of "tie" in with each other in a way. That may be why people connect with both decades. I personally love both! :thumbsup:Referring back to "Smuggler's Blues", and this may have been mentioned before in this "thread"...but anyone notice that Calderone himself wrote this episode? :eek::) Miguel Pinero wrote "MV" episodes "Smuggler's Blues" and "A Bullet For Crockett". He died even before "MV" went off the air, in 1988, of liver disease. :cry:

You're right on every count my friend :thumbsup:Funny you mention the cars of the 80's because I distinctly remember a lot of the cars of that period (at least American cars) and most of them sucked BIG-TIME for the most part. That was back when they were trying to economize everything with all that smog control BS, smaller motors and such. I can't recall off the top of my head the exact year but I remember seeing the Ford Thunderbird around the mid 80's being reduced to some POS with a four or six cylinder engine and tiny 14" four-lug wheels and that really boxy looking body design. The T-Bird had always formerly been known for it's high luxury (and later on, sport), and sheer POWER. My family always had a Thunderbird and they would burn some serious rubber back then (not to mention GAS). Heck, I remember when the T-Bird came with a 429 Thunder-Jet engine and it was a BIG car for the time, only to see it cheapened into what it became in the 80's. It wouldn't spin the tires even if it was sitting on a solid block of ice at that time! Clearly not every aspect of the 80's were so great but those things aside I definitely miss that period of time and Vice was definitely part of what made the 1980's so memorable.I also couldn't believe Vice only lasted 5 seasons when there were so many other shows that seemed to go on forever but I think Vice was that one show that was so good it was hard to keep topping the prior episodes and seasons, and when a few of the more whacky eps aired it's popularity took a beating and people started dropping like crazy. Although I always loved the show I can distinctly remember the one about aliens that sort of made me realize they had peaked sometime prior and it was only a matter of time - not to mention DJ really wanted to make his exit so he could go be a big movie star. Of course, that was back when movie stars simply didn't *do* television shows because it was a sign you had fallen from grace and popularity to be seen on any TV show at the time. Today of course things are quite different and it's extremely common and even expected for the viewing public to see even big-time movie stars doing some kind of television in some regard. Back then it might as well have been a soap opera if a movie star was even seen on TV!Another funny thing about Vice was after the show went out of production someone did a story on the *real* Vice division of the Miami Metro-Dade Police Department of that time. Instead of their detectives driving around in sport cars and snappy suits it showed one of the main Vice unit detectives driving around in some old-ass 1970's Volkswagen Beetle. This was in sharp contrast to the show as people knew it. Actually I think it would have been better had they just not told the public this at all if you ask me because it truly illustrated how low-tech the police really were at the time. Of course today police seem to get everything they could possibly need and then some, but back then things were veeeeeery different :)I'm still running through the series one at a time and although I've seen every single episode about 37 times I still enjoy them and I remember how exciting it always was back then when Friday night rolled around and a new episode was coming on. They would tease you all week long with short advertisements of the coming episode and we ALL loved watching Vice and couldn't wait until the following week came around for the next installment :cool:Man, those were some of the BEST times of my life :balloon:

Vice was definitely part of what made the 1980's so memorable.I also couldn't believe Vice only lasted 5 seasons when there were so many other shows that seemed to go on forever but I think Vice was that one show that was so good it was hard to keep topping the prior episodes and seasons, and when a few of the more whacky eps aired it's popularity took a beating and people started dropping like crazy. Although I always loved the show I can distinctly remember the one about aliens that sort of made me realize they had peaked sometime prior and it was only a matter of time - not to mention DJ really wanted to make his exit so he could go be a big movie star. Of course, that was back when movie stars simply didn't *do* television shows because it was a sign you had fallen from grace and popularity to be seen on any TV show at the time. Today of course things are quite different and it's extremely common and even expected for the viewing public to see even big-time movie stars doing some kind of television in some regard. Back then it might as well have been a soap opera if a movie star was even seen on TV!Another funny thing about Vice was after the show went out of production someone did a story on the *real* Vice division of the Miami Metro-Dade Police Department of that time. Instead of their detectives driving around in sport cars and snappy suits it showed one of the main Vice unit detectives driving around in some old-ass 1970's Volkswagen Beetle. This was in sharp contrast to the show as people knew it. Actually I think it would have been better had they just not told the public this at all if you ask me because it truly illustrated how low-tech the police really were at the time. Of course today police seem to get everything they could possibly need and then some, but back then things were veeeeeery different :)I'm still running through the series one at a time and although I've seen every single episode about 37 times I still enjoy them and I remember how exciting it always was back then when Friday night rolled around and a new episode was coming on. They would tease you all week long with short advertisements of the coming episode and we ALL loved watching Vice and couldn't wait until the following week came around for the next installment :cool:Man, those were some of the BEST times of my life :balloon:

with cars in the 1980's, 1981 in particular was actually a pretty bad year for car sales and the economy was in a slump. which is part of the reason why cars were kind of at there lowest point and california smog apparently used to be a hell of alot worse than what it is now
he brings it up when he talks about the condition of the restored in 78 dino'so that might have actually worked somewhat in there case, and that slump and one of the worst snow storms in east cost history pretty badly derailed the delorean in 81'plus after opec pretty much badly derailed the country in 73 I would imagine alot of people were worried that was going to happen againhence why the demand for muscle cars and american performance cars didnt return until the late 1980's, early 1990's when it became apparent that that wasn't going to happen again. not to mention fuel injection and modern computers have literally DOUBLED the performance of cars in the past 15 years while still retaining the same fuel efficiency as the old ones if not abit better. the V6 for instance in most GM cars not 15 years ago only put out about a 130, now in the current camaro its putting out 300 with better mileage than the old ones put out on the same 87 octane.and some 4's are putting out 200 HP vs the 70 they just barely made in the 70's, mind you 91 is required for them.along with the very unfortunate end of cars like the station wagon and the El Camino/ Rachero sedan/pickup vehicles which I bet is a key reason why there are so many road blocking and oversized pickup trucks, SUV's that don't see a lick of offroad action nor any real action as a work vehicle and minivans being parked in spaces 3 times to small for them nowadays sucking up gas like there's no tomorrow and leaving none left over for the fun and vintage muscle cars out there.should have crushed those and only those with that cash for clunkers program, not the good cars that got decent gas mileage and didn't take up 5 miles of room in a parking lot and blocked everyone's vision on the road, the idiots.lord knows the world would be a far better place if they crushed every dodge caravan in existence for the good of mankind.So you've got less money, less people wanting more performance and also far less imports to give the US makers a reason to make there cars better, and being the money hungry companies they are that don't seem to realize that in order to survive you need to make a quality product so a new customer will become a customer for life and trust your products. which is how Mercedes used to operate back in there hayday before the Chrysler higher ups ran the quality of the cars into the ground in just 4 years.so with all of that you ended up with alot of less than desirable domestic automobiles, until the Japanese and German invasion forced them to play hard or go home and call it a day.hell if it wasnt for them the cars we would be driving today would still be ****hmph viva la deutschland.and I still remember they tried to go back to what the T bird used to be and well it didnt fly because of how expensive and how often it broke down in 02'plus it aint no 55' or 62' in the looks and size departmentEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildShould have made it half that size and put a 4 in it with modern styling like a modern miata, not bad retro.hell actually when you think about it the early mustang and T bird were kind of like the American equivalent of the Miata and the 1960's Lotus Elan of there day

post-592-13892965440764_thumb.jpg

Vice was definitely part of what made the 1980's so memorable.I also couldn't believe Vice only lasted 5 seasons when there were so many other shows that seemed to go on forever but I think Vice was that one show that was so good it was hard to keep topping the prior episodes and seasons, and when a few of the more whacky eps aired it's popularity took a beating and people started dropping like crazy. Although I always loved the show I can distinctly remember the one about aliens that sort of made me realize they had peaked sometime prior and it was only a matter of time - not to mention DJ really wanted to make his exit so he could go be a big movie star. Of course, that was back when movie stars simply didn't *do* television shows because it was a sign you had fallen from grace and popularity to be seen on any TV show at the time. Today of course things are quite different and it's extremely common and even expected for the viewing public to see even big-time movie stars doing some kind of television in some regard. Back then it might as well have been a soap opera if a movie star was even seen on TV!Another funny thing about Vice was after the show went out of production someone did a story on the *real* Vice division of the Miami Metro-Dade Police Department of that time. Instead of their detectives driving around in sport cars and snappy suits it showed one of the main Vice unit detectives driving around in some old-ass 1970's Volkswagen Beetle. This was in sharp contrast to the show as people knew it. Actually I think it would have been better had they just not told the public this at all if you ask me because it truly illustrated how low-tech the police really were at the time. Of course today police seem to get everything they could possibly need and then some, but back then things were veeeeeery different :)I'm still running through the series one at a time and although I've seen every single episode about 37 times I still enjoy them and I remember how exciting it always was back then when Friday night rolled around and a new episode was coming on. They would tease you all week long with short advertisements of the coming episode and we ALL loved watching Vice and couldn't wait until the following week came around for the next installment.Man, those were some of the BEST times of my life. :balloon:

LOL!! :) Yeah, the 80's cars were reduced to these tiny, ugly boxes. :thumbsdown: My family, growing up then, usually had Oldsmobiles or Buicks. They too were these little boxes that really didn't have any power. All of them had that stupid red colored 55 in the speedometer...President Reagan's idea of lowering the speed limit to 55 to help save on gas comsuption. But, in my opinion the Caddy's, Camaros, and Corvettes were still pretty awesome and "full" sized cars at the time.You are sooo right about the "MV" episode "Missing Hours"...the alien one. It is probably the worst episode of the whole series (my opinion I know...but largely shared by many here)! :thumbsdown: "Cows of October" comes in 2nd for worst episodes. The writers were definitely not caring anymore...or were on crack...or both when they popped those "turds" out. :p But, I still think if the actors had been willing, and they had gotten better writers to "clean" the show back up...I think it could have gone on for another season or two. But, with lower ratings and a couple main actors wanting out to move on...the end of the show was inevitable. :cry:Yeah, back in the 80's there were definite "barriors" between TV actors and movie actors. Television was considered "beneath" them for the silver screen folks back then. Stupid, and untrue, but it was the way it was. Eventually, the lines blurred, so-to-speak, and actors can now enjoy careers in both mediums of entertainment. :D As for Don Johnson's big movie career...I love Johnson, but yeah that didn't happen. ;) No big blockbusters for Crockett. :p I think he's an awesome actor...but for whatever reason his movies just weren't that good. He should have stayed with "Vice" a little longer.But, overall I love and miss the 80's too! It was one superb decade, and had some of the best music, clothes, TV shows, movies, etc... ever!! :clap: A lot of the 80's styles are back in style now, though, and I'm really enjoying some of those same fashions in clothes again...as well as some of the music is styled like the 80's too. :radio:I too am currently going through all of "MV" again...for the "millionth" time! :) But, I love it all so much that I can hardly ever get tired of it. It's always so much fun, and each time there's always some little thing in some of the episodes that I had not noticed the time before. :glossy:
  • Like 1

the worst episode of the whole series (my opinion I know...but largely shared by many here)! :thumbsdown: "Cows of October" comes in 2nd for worst episodes. The writers were definitely not caring anymore...or were on crack...or both when they popped those "turds" out. :p But, I still think if the actors had been willing, and they had gotten better writers to "clean" the show back up...I think it could have gone on for another season or two. But, with lower ratings and a couple main actors wanting out to move on...the end of the show was inevitable. :cry:Yeah, back in the 80's there were definite "barriors" between TV actors and movie actors. Television was considered "beneath" them for the silver screen folks back then. Stupid, and untrue, but it was the way it was. Eventually, the lines blurred, so-to-speak, and actors can now enjoy careers in both mediums of entertainment. :D As for Don Johnson's big movie career...I love Johnson, but yeah that didn't happen. ;) No big blockbusters for Crockett. :p I think he's an awesome actor...but for whatever reason his movies just weren't that good. He should have stayed with "Vice" a little longer.But, overall I love and miss the 80's too! It was one superb decade, and had some of the best music, clothes, TV shows, movies, etc... ever!! :clap: A lot of the 80's styles are back in style now, though, and I'm really enjoying some of those same fashions in clothes again...as well as some of the music is styled like the 80's too. :radio:I too am currently going through all of "MV" again...for the "millionth" time! :) But, I love it all so much that I can hardly ever get tired of it. It's always so much fun, and each time there's always some little thing in some of the episodes that I had not noticed the time before. :glossy:

umm I dont mean to be a pain in the butt here but that wasnt regan, that was jimmy carter with the 85 mph speedo thing to discourage speeding in 1981 and it was on the last of the C3's vette's as wellhttp://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/1982/1982a/index.htmlEingefügtes Bildthis being an 82' and its probably why the speedo of the delorean in back to the future only went to 95 and it probably lead to the line once this baby hits 88 mph your going to see some serious **** happen. and the 55 mph thing was implemented sometime in the 1970's given its mention in the gumball rally which took place in 1976

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPQDW6ZOpA

probably as a result of the opec induced gas crysis of 1973, and also in killshot at the end they specifically mention upping the speedlimit which was DURING regans run, when Mercy Street is playing in the background which has a first airing date of the 10th of october 1986so if you gotta blame someone blame Jimmy the democrate for that one

umm I dont mean to be a pain in the butt here but that wasnt regan' date=' that was jimmy carter with the 85 mph speedo thing to discourage speeding in 1981 and it was on the last of the C3's vette's as welland its probably why the speedo of the delorean in back to the future only went to 95 and it probably lead to the line once this baby hits 88 mph your going to see some serious **** happen. and the 55 mph thing was implemented sometime in the 1970's given its mention in the gumball rally which took place in 1976 probably as a result of the opec induced gas crysis of 1973, and also in killshot at the end they specifically mention upping the speedlimit which was DURING regans run, when Mercy Street is playing in the background which has a first airing date of the 10th of october 1986so if you gotta blame someone blame Jimmy the democrate for that one[/quote']The gas crisis started in the 70's with Jimmy Carter, but carried over into the 80's...at least the early 80's. However, little did they know what the price of gas would be in 30 years. ;) I had read somewhere once that it was Reagan who had started the "double-nickle" speed limit to help deal with fuel consumption...but it very well could have been Carter. As for the ridiculous low MPH limit of the speedometers on cars of the 80's...yeah, that was stupid! :) I bet the Corvettes and Camaros...and even the Caddys of that time could go much faster than just 85--or even 95MPH. By the 90's they must have "wisened" up as my 1996 Camaro Z28's speedometer goes up to 150. I've not ever had it that fast...but I did get it up to 130 not long after I'd first gotten it. :thumbsup:

Guest MetroVice

That's just a damn shame to see a Corvette with a speedometer that only tops out at 85 MPH. That's a sin in itself. I sure remember these cars though. As for the Delorean I'd be surprised if it could even hit 100 MPH. They looked mean but had a very small amount of actual HP under the hood (figure of speech, as these were rear-mounted motors). I think the engines were Volvo if I'm not mistaken. I drove one and was NOT impressed.As for the T-Bird, I had the opportunity to drive the "retro" model and it was indeed a fast, powerful car but unless you're a midget or a very small person it's not comfortable at all. I'm 6'5 and 240 lbs and it took me a few moments to *wiggle* in there and even longer to get out of it, and the price was WAY too high.At the risk of altering the thread too radically I'd better comment on Vice in some regard! I know I sound like a broken record but the general consensus is the show could have continued on another one, two or even three seasons. I recall seeing an interview with PMT where even he said he believed it *could* have gone on another several seasons if they really wanted to make it happen but, and this is only my own thoughts here, things had just dipped too low to get that certain spark back the show originally had. It's always easy to talk about how great a popular show was many years (decades) later because typically you miss the show so much that we yearn to watch even the worst episodes over again - at least it's that way with me.Smugglers Blues and Prodigal Son were two of my favorites because these two episodes in particular represent and embody all that Miami Vice was about, which was great stories, great action, drama, and music. Unfortunately, towards the tail end of Vice things had strayed a long way from where it began. I sure loved Smugglers Blues though and when this episode aired it seemed Vice could go on seemingly forever. Who would have ever thought it would have only lasted five short seasons? Makes me sad just thinking about it, and I hated the ending of Freefall where C&T simply parted ways by reaching over the Ferarri to simply shake hands, then Tubbs is taken to the airport where he apparently goes back to NY. I just wish things would have ended a little better than that, but it is what it is.Miami Vice forever . . . :thumbsup:

Vice in some regard! I know I sound like a broken record but the general consensus is the show could have continued on another one, two or even three seasons. I recall seeing an interview with PMT where even he said he believed it *could* have gone on another several seasons if they really wanted to make it happen but, and this is only my own thoughts here, things had just dipped too low to get that certain spark back the show originally had. It's always easy to talk about how great a popular show was many years (decades) later because typically you miss the show so much that we yearn to watch even the worst episodes over again - at least it's that way with me.Smugglers Blues and Prodigal Son were two of my favorites because these two episodes in particular represent and embody all that Miami Vice was about, which was great stories, great action, drama, and music. Unfortunately, towards the tail end of Vice things had strayed a long way from where it began. I sure loved Smugglers Blues though and when this episode aired it seemed Vice could go on seemingly forever. Who would have ever thought it would have only lasted five short seasons? Makes me sad just thinking about it, and I hated the ending of Freefall where C&T simply parted ways by reaching over the Ferarri to simply shake hands, then Tubbs is taken to the airport where he apparently goes back to NY. I just wish things would have ended a little better than that, but it is what it is.Miami Vice forever . . . :thumbsup:

Very well stated, Metrovice! :clap:You are right...we did start getting off topic there a little too much. :) I too agree that by the time the ratings and things were getting worse, they had strayed too far from the original "formula"...and it was almost too hard to try and get that spark back. I think they could have, and agree with PMT! But, in my opinion I think the biggest reasons the show did not move on (after I assume a five year contract was up) are Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos were both wanting out and to move on...plus they did not get along much from what I've read and learned over the years. ;)"Smuggler's Blues" is definitely one of the best and most remembered episodes of the series! I love watching each time. :clap: I also think the pilot TV movie "Brothers Keeper" and the 2-part sequel to that--"Calderone's Return" are some of the best and are totally what "Miami Vice" was all about! :thumbsup: All of these had great action, music, fashion, cars, etc...!! Each season though had its good episodes...even a couple in season 5 weren't too bad. :) I did not really care for the 2nd season premiere "Prodigal Son" though...there were aspects of the episode I liked...but overall it's not one of my favorites. I also did not care for "Freefall" and how they had the show end...leaving you "hanging" and not really knowing what happened to Crocett and Tubbs. :evil: The episode itself was not too bad...but the end was stupid! :thumbsdown: There needs to be a reunion to tie things up and give us some reassurance and/or closure! ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched this one yet again, and it is quite simply magnificent. The fact they were able to pack so much in a single episode is admirable, a definite cinematic thrill ride. The extravagant traveling plot, tense action, fun acting (great job, Glenn) and beautifully shot Colombia scenes all make this the quintessential vintage Vice.

Back in the 80's, I owned (and often wore) a t-shirt that had artwork of an airplane sitting on a remote jungle landing strip, with a Ferrari - looking sports car next to it and some "packages" sitting on the ground. The shirt caption was "It's the lure of easy money". If memory serves me correctly, I purchased it at a beach shop in Florida back then. I don't know what ever happened to that shirt, but I'm giving this classic episode a solid 10.

• 1 year later...

ViceFanMan is gonna like this one.

You can sum up Smugglers Blues with one word:iconic. Everything about it.

The setting and music are both superb.

It basically has the same plot as the MV film, only its done right here.

The finale with the bomb is intense.

Glenn Frey was my favorite Eagle. RIP. Don Henley was cool tool.

10/10

• Like 3

On 5/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, Remington said:

ViceFanMan is gonna like this one.

You can sum up Smugglers Blues with one word:iconic. Everything about it.

The setting and music are both superb.

It basically has the same plot as the MV film, only its done right here.

The finale with the bomb is intense.

Glenn Frey was my favorite Eagle. RIP. Don Henley was cool tool.

10/10

Just watched this one again a little bit ago, and you are sooo right...it's pure iconic! The episode was written and created around Glenn Frey's song...it was a superb episode that played out like MTV's most gripping and intense music video ever! :thumbsup::glossy::clap:

• Like 1

On 5/14/2010 at 1:26 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode, and it's one of not only my first season favorites but is one of my all-time favorites of the series too!I think "Smuggler's Blues" is one of those episodes (and there were more than one) that just sort of defined "Miami Vice" and what it was all about!I thought Sonny's wardrobe was pretty cool, Glenn Frey's performance and subsequent song of the same episode title was superb, Oliva Brown's performance in the abandoned trailer/bomb scene was also superb and gave her a change to expand on her acting talents, the plot was awesome, and I also like the beginning meeting scene at the abandoned Floridian Hotel!Strange, I know but I love photographing and exploring abandoned places and this is one I wish I could have explored before it got torn down. :)The only part I can hardly stand to watch is when Tubbs is mad at the bad guy in his car and he starts shooting into his own Caddy!:eek: I love cars, especially classic ones from the 50's-60's and I always yell: "Just don't shoot the Caddy!"...but Tubbs always does anyway. :p:)

This was my review from about 7 years ago...not much has changed from how I feel. I just watched it again the other night, and it's still AMAZING!! But, I still can't stand it when Tubbs shoots his Caddy! :p

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Watched this classic again last night, right after watching Scarface. It looked gorgeous on Blu-ray. Honestly, this was probably the most I've ever enjoyed this episode.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Remington said:

Watched this classic again last night, right after watching Scarface. It looked gorgeous on Blu-ray. Honestly, this was probably the most I've ever enjoyed this episode.

Yes, the Blu Ray made this episode all new for me, too! :thumbsup:

On 7/15/2017 at 3:09 AM, Remington said:

This episode is awesome to watch period...or should I say exclamation point! :p

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This episode is awesome to watch period...or should I say exclamation point! :p

I guess there you should have said "question mark". :):):) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of the definitive episodes of Vice (even though it barely takes place in Miami? :) ) the music and story is great, and a great guest appearance by Glenn Frey  

10/10 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for information about two items within this episode. 

The first is some sort of tapestry behind Jimmy (Glenn Frey) when he's in his quonset. It displays a shirtless black man riding two wild zebras and it is on top of some islands shown on a map. 

The other is a political poster that is seen several times throughout Columbia. It has a face of a politician and says something along the lines of "COLINDRES: para el pueblo del Guatemala".

I am one that believes all things that are seen in the frame are there to relay something to the viewer.

My takes:

The man riding the wild zebras just adds to the whole nature of the adventure they are going to undertake. Sonny and Rico will have to adapt to the wilds of the foreign land and tame their wild nature so they are not corrupted.

As for the political poster, I believe this represents the corrupt system they are having to deal with within Columbia and the United States. The police are corrupt and they are dealing with a system that has been corrupted from top to bottom. Another scene where the poster is displayed is when Sonny and Rico walk to the nightclub to speak with Grocero. The area is filled with these posters on the walls and all we see in the streets are children and women and elderly men, all people whom are helpless and victims within this corrupt system. The few men that we see are lounging around the nightclub, where there is a nice luxury car parked outside. This shows who the corruption benefits.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these images?

images.jpeg

MV_S01-E15_060-690x388.png

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OCBman said:

I'm looking for information about two items within this episode. 

The first is some sort of tapestry behind Jimmy (Glenn Frey) when he's in his quonset. It displays a shirtless black man riding two wild zebras and it is on top of some islands shown on a map. 

The other is a political poster that is seen several times throughout Columbia. It has a face of a politician and says something along the lines of "COLINDRES: para el pueblo del Guatemala".

I am one that believes all things that are seen in the frame are there to relay something to the viewer.

My takes:

The man riding the wild zebras just adds to the whole nature of the adventure they are going to undertake. Sonny and Rico will have to adapt to the wilds of the foreign land and tame their wild nature so they are not corrupted.

As for the political poster, I believe this represents the corrupt system they are having to deal with within Columbia and the United States. The police are corrupt and they are dealing with a system that has been corrupted from top to bottom. Another scene where the poster is displayed is when Sonny and Rico walk to the nightclub to speak with Grocero. The area is filled with these posters on the walls and all we see in the streets are children and women and elderly men, all people whom are helpless and victims within this corrupt system. The few men that we see are lounging around the nightclub, where there is a nice luxury car parked outside. This shows who the corruption benefits.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these images?

images.jpeg

MV_S01-E15_060-690x388.png

Having been around the Hollywood scene in the early 80’s, my guess is the wall hanging has zero meaning other than it looked cool and it fits the décor and scene and the set director liked it. And it could have easily been just the background and one of the painters added the Zebras and man riding them to get a certain look and feel.

The political poster was probably something that happened around the time that somebody had or seen and made copies.

Usually set designers are given a thin budget and try to outfit rooms and exterior shots from already purchased stuff, stuff they buy from 2nd hand stores and make up stuff.

After a few minutes on the google, Voile, the guy on the poster.

Luis Fernando Colindres Pérez (1982) (17-8-1954 to 21-7-1982) Student and student leader of the University of San Carlos de Guatemala. Delegate of Revolutionary Student Vanguard (SEE-Humanities) to the Alliance of Democratic and Progressive Groups FRENTE, being popularly elected to occupy a position in the Association of University Students, serving as secretary of Disclosure and Propaganda (1977-1978), Representing the AEU in national and international events. He was a member of the editorial board of the newspaper "El Estudiante". Luis Colindres was assassinated by the security forces on July 21, 1982, shooting him and hitting him on the outskirts of channel 3, zone 11 of the capital, remaining anonymous due to the cruelty of the repression of the time.

http://www.terry-posters.com/poster/35910-luis-colindres-solidarity-with-the-people-of-guatemala

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2017 at 9:03 AM, Detective_Crockett said:

One of the definitive episodes of Vice (even though it barely takes place in Miami? :) ) the music and story is great, and a great guest appearance by Glenn Frey  

10/10 

Definitely a definitive episode, and a 10/10! :thumbsup: But, a good portion does take place in Miami, just a portion in the middle do they leave the country. :dance: