Episode #15 "Smuggler’s Blues"

Ferrariman

20 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Its hard to say, but I frequently second guess myself when I make references here. 

Examples may be:

- how many fans categorize info in their minds by episode title?

- how many fans know/care that the Daytona was not a real Ferrari?

- how many fans know/care the exterior/interior shots of OCB were not one and the same building/location?

Over the years here, I’ve seen many posts that are “common knowledge” to me, but then the replies to said posts prove me very wrong—and then again, sometimes I’m one of the people in the “thanks, I somehow never knew this” replies. :) 

One of the most recent examples of this for me was recently in the fashion forum, a member with very few posts here posted a photo of himself wearing a Versace jacket made in 1984 that was worn by Crockett in 1986 (season 3). So the items picked up from the most cutting-edge fashion designers weren’t always “brand new”. Maybe common knowledge to the fashion buffs, but news to me. 

This is the reason I frequent the forum every day: there’s always a chance at something new (for anybody). :thumbsup:

Good examples...that makes sense. I would think most fans in today’s world (maybe not back when the show was on?) would know that Crockett’s Daytona Spyder was actually a kit built on the chassis of an early 80s Corvette...but maybe not?

Almost all TV shows (old & current) had/have interiors built on a sound stage somewhere—they’re hardly ever the actual interior of the building they’re using for the exterior shots. However, maybe there’s some that don’t realize this?? :p But, the studio where the interiors for MV were constructed & filmed was in downtown Miami as well...so technically the show was entirely filmed on actual location of where it took place. 

For the fashion, I knew that they would actually mix it up...the jacket might be Versace, but the pastel T-shirts or muscle shirts underneath were not expensive or high dollar, lol! Some styles were popular & manufactured for a few years before totally changing them. 

But, like you said there’s always the chance that us ourselves or others will learn new things we didn’t realize or know before! Some trivia will actually contradict itself...and you’ll get different versions, lol! It’s all the fun of the forums, continually checking threads out & seeing what has been posted. :dance:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

We’re really trailing off here, but wth:

I remember years ago when someone in one of the Daytona threads mentioned the MV car having an automatic transmission, and it really blew my mind. Apparently, I was the only one there who always thought it was a standard transmission. From that day forward I noticed Crockett clearly only shifting to drive or reverse in respective scenes, but had somehow never noticed it before. I guess we all have our paradigms. :) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

We’re really trailing off here, but wth:

I remember years ago when someone in one of the Daytona threads mentioned the MV car having an automatic transmission, and it really blew my mind. Apparently, I was the only one there who always thought it was a standard transmission. From that day forward I noticed Crockett clearly only shifting to drive or reverse in respective scenes, but had somehow never noticed it before. I guess we all have our paradigms. :) 

Trailing off a little bit :p...but, yeah when the show was originally on I had no idea the Daytona was a fake...but, once I knew (later when secrets of the show started to be revealed) I started noticing small tell-tale signs. I may be wrong...but, to me the plastic headlight covers kind of look “cheapy” & just screwed on right there on the outside. 

Returning somewhat to the actual topic of the thread/episode...it was a somewhat interesting video by OCB Man that you had posted before about “Smuggler’s Blues”. I’ll be honest and say I felt it was ‘reaching’ somewhat...as I’m not sure the original or actual intent of the writers/producers was to only show Gina or Trudy being okay or protected when surrounded by Crockett & Tubbs—then in peril or danger when on their own, so-to-speak. But, it was an interesting theory or ‘take’ on parts of the episode. I’d not really ever thought of it like that. 

• Like 2

Maybe so. Michael Mann and John Nicollela were both really big on such details, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was all accurate. It’s interesting, regardless. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Maybe so. Michael Mann and John Nicollela were both really big on such details, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was all accurate. It’s interesting, regardless. 

True, Mann was very detail oriented...but I think the details with MV were more color, fashion, music & visuals oriented, rather than “hidden” psychological behaviors of the characters. MV was more focused on wild, captivating visuals that had never been done before at that time. The character depth was mainly the dangers & downside of being a vice cop in Miami...whether male or female.

There was always the chance that you would be double-crossed or “made”. I’ve always viewed Gina & Trudy as the strength of the ‘female cop’...as they were willing to put their lives on the line & be right there in the middle of it along with C&T, S&Z, and Castillo. But, it’s always interesting to me to hear other’s theories or thoughts on episode aspects...it’s kind of fun & keeps the “magic” alive. :dance2:

• Like 2

I agree with the likeliness that Mann and Nicorela were detailed about lots of things but not likely detailed about police character/gender interplay.  That's something Dick Wolf would have been interested in---his mind was really into "realities of policing".  
I guess we have to remember too, this was the '80s, and (err, for better or worse to admit it) we as an American society still hadn't evolved very much from the "Man is master of adventure---woman must stay close to man to be protected by HIS skill and HIS bravery under pressure--Woman is best for struggling sexily when tied up with ropes".  LOL, especially on Hollywood's table.  TJ Hooker's version of lady-cop was still in style, and even Stephanie Kramer's female-detective in Hunter was going to get raped TWICE in the same series---What The Hell?!!

So I suspect it was more of the general gender-bias of the '80s writers that caused Gina and Trudy to need "the guys" to save them so often.  Don't get me wrong, they were still a way  better step in the right direction than any of the other tv cop girls I remember from the '80s.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Augusta said:

I agree with the likeliness that Mann and Nicorela were detailed about lots of things but not likely detailed about police character/gender interplay.  That's something Dick Wolf would have been interested in---his mind was really into "realities of policing".  
I guess we have to remember too, this was the '80s, and (err, for better or worse to admit it) we as an American society still hadn't evolved very much from the "Man is master of adventure---woman must stay close to man to be protected by HIS skill and HIS bravery under pressure--Woman is best for struggling sexily when tied up with ropes".  LOL, especially on Hollywood's table.  TJ Hooker's version of lady-cop was still in style, and even Stephanie Kramer's female-detective in Hunter was going to get raped TWICE in the same series---What The Hell?!!

So I suspect it was more of the general gender-bias of the '80s writers that caused Gina and Trudy to need "the guys" to save them so often.  Don't get me wrong, they were still a way  better step in the right direction than any of the other tv cop girls I remember from the '80s.  

To an extent I understand what you’re saying...but, that mentality was more 60s & older. I think for the time, Gina & Trudy still portrayed more of a “stronger” female cop than some shows before. By the 80s women were not necessarily being considered “lower” or incapable anymore...Charlie’s Angels in the 70s pretty much changed that! That show helped create the idea & portrayal of intelligent, strong, & capable female leads & leads as detectives/cops!

Stepfanie Kramer in Hunter was even more of a strong & intelligent female cop for the 80s...hence her character nickname “Brass Cupcake”! :p She was amazing for the time...and she was only raped ONCE in the show. ;) It was by a foreign diplomat that surprised her in her home...so it wasn’t because she was dumb & weak.  

The producers and writers a couple years later tried to do another plot line where she would get raped a second time, by another perpetrator. Stepfanie knew that would be stupid and ridiculous, and make her character seem pathetic and not capable, and so she refused! She threatened to walk and leave the show if they did not change the plot. So, producers and writers compromised and it was a 3-part story line, that are amazing & superbly done episodes by the way, where her character of McCall is almost raped again...but she fights the perpetrator off! 

I think sometimes it is natural instinct for males to want to protect and watch over females...and that’s not all bad. ;) But, I think by the 70s/80s women were being able to show their strength & capabilities too...and Gina & Trudy were able to do that for the time. After all, all the male leads in the shows were attacked, jumped/beat up, or even kidnapped at some point, too. It wasn’t just the females. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Mann said the Smuggler's Blues story was inspired by a real life case one police officer told him about (while he was writing him a speeding ticket!). I wonder if it's the same case these newspapers are talking about:

sb1.jpg.68905c7ec025749b6271705e0f56e86a.jpgsb2.jpg.b1c0209763576d5bb12c5c3354570e20.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Mann said the Smuggler's Blues story was inspired by a real life case one police officer told him about (while he was writing him a speeding ticket!). I wonder if it's the same case these newspapers are talking about:

sb1.jpg.68905c7ec025749b6271705e0f56e86a.jpgsb2.jpg.b1c0209763576d5bb12c5c3354570e20.jpg

Interesting...maybe? I think for a while (at least while Mann was involved) they created some episodes off of some news stories or headlines at the time. However, the only 2 episodes I’ve heard were based off of actual real-life cases were “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” & “Shadow in the Dark”. 

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Interesting...maybe? I think for a while (at least while Mann was involved) they created some episodes off of some news stories or headlines at the time. However, the only 2 episodes I’ve heard were based off of actual real-life cases were “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” & “Shadow in the Dark”. 

Badge of Dishonor is one as well? "The Miami River Cops Case"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Badge of Dishonor is one as well? "The Miami River Cops Case"

True...I believe the river cops case is where the idea or inspiration of the MV episode “Badge of Dishonor” came from. How much of the real incident is included in the episode, I’m not sure? But, this is a trivia bit from IMDB:

[This episode was inspired by the river cops scandal in 1986 that started in the Molino Rojo bar on SW 8 Street, where the cops hammered out their plan how to steal 350 kilos and that later inspired the episode. It was also inspired by the real issue that Miami Police had to hire cops from minorities after the 1981 riots and due to bad selection and scarcity of suitable applicants sometimes persons with serious juvenile rap sheets ended up at the police force.] 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

That looks like a Ibanez Destroyer II. Weird seeing Frey playing anything other than a Gibson :eek:

Jimmythepilot.thumb.jpg.d9d89c05e8a95c12c1db1de5827e89b5.jpg

Probably a prop—not his guitar (as you probably guessed, too :) )

• Thanks 1

somebody could explain to the non-anglosaxon of mine what a lunatic fringe means. for those coming from moon

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyed this one . 10 \ 10.

Excellent casting with Frey — and his great song “Smugglers Blues” written for the episode. 
Authentic real life locations too in San Juan. Interestingly this was directed by Paul Michael Glaser of Skarsky and Hutch fame — who directed three episodes from 1984-85 and all three episodes saw the main shoot out of Miami in Christiansted, St. Croix,    San Juan in Puerto Rico and NYC.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Am 21.5.2023 um 14:58 schrieb jpaul1:

somebody could explain to the non-anglosaxon of mine what a lunatic fringe means. for those coming from moon

Lunatic means nuts or crazy and fringe is the edge or the outer side of something. When Tom Cochrane (head of Red Rider) sings here about weird right wing fanatics at the edge of society which is exactly what we see here eg the main villain Lieutenant behind all this. Perfect song choice. Lyrics below. 

Lunatic fringe
I know you're out there
You're in hiding
And you hold your meetings
I can hear you coming
And we know what you're after
We're wise to you this time
(We're wise to you this time)
We won't let you kill the laughter
Lunatic fringe
In the twilight's last gleaming
This is open season
But you won't get too far
'Cause you've got to blame someone
For your own confusion
We're on guard this time (on guard this time)
Against your final solution
Oh no
We can hear you coming
(We can hear you coming)
No, you're not going to win this time
(You're not gonna win)
We can hear the footsteps
(We can hear the footsteps)
Way out along the walkway (along the walkway)
Lunatic fringe
We all know you're out there
Can you feel the resistance?
Can you feel the thunder?
Oh no
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Really enjoyed this one . 10 \ 10.

Excellent casting with Frey — and his great song “Smugglers Blues” written for the episode. 
Authentic real life locations too in San Juan. Interestingly this was directed by Paul Michael Glaser of Skarsky and Hutch fame — who directed three episodes from 1984-85 and all three episodes saw the main shoot out of Miami in Christiansted, St. Croix,    San Juan in Puerto Rico and NYC.

Yeah, Paul Michael Glaser seemed to really show his talent & craft behind the camera, rather than in front...he directed some awesome episodes (of many shows), including this one! :shout: 

Of course Frey’s song & guest/star role basically “made” the episode, and are the main reasons it became one of the show’s best & most famous! :radio:

However, at the end I kind of laugh when the one agent says he can’t figure out why the “dolphins” cop went bad...and there’s a few seconds of silence (like everyone already knows, but doesn’t know how to respond)...but Tubbs finally says “m-o-n-e-y”! It wasn’t too hard to figure out why. :baby: 

It wasn’t politics, a mission, or revenge...it was just plain old greed! ;) One of my favorites of the show, and I never get tired if seeing it! :funky:

On 5/21/2023 at 8:58 AM, jpaul1 said:

Tom Cochrane was concerned about the rise of anti-semitism in the 1970s and this song was clearly a response to that. 

'Cause you've got to blame someone
For your own confusion
We're on guard this time (on guard this time)
Against your final solution

Not a very subtle reference to the Nazi's "Final Solution to the Jewish question".

The song does fit very well with the series' depiction of outsiders invading the country and bringing in the pestilence of drugs in the 1980s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, OCBman said:

The song does fit very well with the series' depiction of outsiders invading the country and bringing in the pestilence of drugs in the 1980s.

That, and I think the destruction of both the body and mind, that drugs & the drug money bring. They destroy “who” a person is, not only physically, but psychologically as well. The “lunatic fringe” idea in this episode is that the dolphins cop no longer cared about anything or anyone—only himself in that moment, and he didn’t care who he hurt or destroyed along the way.

He didn’t care about politics, other people, any kind of ultimate mission, revenge, or any other kind of “movement” or purpose. He just wanted the money (blood-money) for his own greed.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...