Episode #77 "The Rising Sun Of Death"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
Guest neworder

Fairly standard episode, quite good by Castillo episode standards, I prefer it to Bushido and The Savage for instance. Some good music all round and a great scene with the shootout around the Ferrari. Some good acting performances all round. Overall decent, however the sword fight towards the end is absolutely awful and drawn out and Crockett and Tubbs randomly showing up at the end was pointless considering they had disappeared for about 15 minutes of the episode. So overall, a good episode but nothing to write home about. 7/10

To me it was an oke ep.The story line was a bit thin and not well thought/worked out! To me it looked like some scenes were cut short. And the appearence of Crocket and Tubbs at the end made no sense to me.I loved the music this ep. It was well chosen.The Voice of Tanaka gives me the creeps during the whole ep.:eek:I smiled about Crockets look on his face when the estate lady talks about the fact that she loves people whom doesn't need a hypotheek to buy a houseI liked the colours this ep grey/purple in the beginning and then grey/bluish at the endBest scenes ot the ep:the meeting at LT Castillo office: I know you are there come in to the light.The exchange of looks ( in fact the whole non-verbal acting from DJ en PMT during this scene) between Crocket and Tubbs when Caitlin called in the carrSo for me watchable but a to thin story line. A seven from me.

S4 lifted itself out of it's rut with another quality episode. This is an excellent ep. Atmospheric, action packed and with a good story. It was great how all the members of OCB got a look-in before the action really shifted to Castillo and the Yakuza in the later stages of the ep. This is a really good ep. This ep has one of my favourite guests stars of the series, the great R. Lee Ermey. The man who numbed our nuts as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. There's another good guest star in EJO's Blade Runner buddy James Hong aka Chew. Two great songs; The Smiths' 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me' and Billy Idol's 'Flesh For Fantasy'. We finally get to hear Steven Morrissey's droning voice on the show and it's always great to hear Bill too. And I liked Yello's 'Moon On Ice' too. Trudy looked smokin' hot as an exotic dancer. And the great thing about DVD is you can fast foward past Sheena's scene. Hooray! S4 continues it's downward trajectory for the next five episodes but this one was very good. 9/10

• Like 1

Once again, someone thinks that this episode deserves a perfect 10, but never identifies themselves.Gett'in a little bit old...:rolleyes:

My original review Rising Sun of Death 15 November 2007 at 7:35pmThis is an episode that has grown on me the more times I see it. I rate it a solid 8. The story was interesting to me and I also liked the music. Some of the scenery was good and there were a few light hearted moments to help relieve some of the violence from this episode. The very beginning when we see the limo pull up to what looks like some kind of abandoned building back is kind of creepy, but then when we get to the interior we see that it's a Japanese Tea Room in an interesting contrast It's obvious some sort of business dinner is going on from the conversation. It's also obvious that business is about to wrap up. I also got the idea even the first time I saw this that Avery wasn't going to get away from there. Music use: I liked the use of the music here going from Jan's music by the hot tub into Billy Idol's Flesh for Fantasy, not only was the title on track these girls were selling their flash for a man's fantasy, but the slight East Asian instrumentation in the song itself lent it to being led back into Jan's music by the hot tub and the drowning. The music used at Avery Tech and the shootout was good also very energetic. The music being played while Gina and Trudy were dancing at the club was very dramatic and allowed them to move dramatically to the music. I loved Yello's Moon on Ice being played while Crockett and Tubbs went into the club to try and get Gina and Trudy out, and Fujitsu was also doing his thing in the club. The music played during the choreographed sword fight went with it, although the sword fight seemed so surreal. I noticed that Fujitsu did most of the actual moves while Augauwa just sort of move around and did a move here and there, at no time did Augauwa use his feet at all. The music in the ending scene was good too in that it ended on such a final note. As I had mentioned before this was one of the more violent episodes and seemed dark, but there was a lot of humor used in this episode to lighten it up without making this episode become a complete farce: The conversation between Sonny and Rico about while they were called into a homicide "Maybe homicide is tired of the Biscayne back stroke" The comments on the tattooed guy when Castillo was trying to brief them on the Yakuza. "Where do we look for them under Tatoos are us?" Then they talk about the finger being cut off. Sweitek: "I'm glad I don't work for him." Trudy's reply: If you did you'd never finger paint again." Gina and Trudy pretending to be applicants to be show girls for the brothel. The accents used and the way Gina talked about not doing this and that. The disbelief expressed by Sweitek and Crockett when Vasquez showed up with the media on their stake out! Sonny's reply when he knocked on the door.: "Two for Dinner sushi bar is fine." Then in reply to show their membership cards, he has his gun and badge out "Never leave home without it" (which was the slogan of American Express commercials at the time.) Also when they find Gina and Trudy and discover Haskel, Rico says to Sonny: "Look who we have here." Sonny replies: "Fancy meeting you here." These were nicely interweaved throughout the episode to help reieive the dark violent tone.Other things I liked: Castillo having a bigger part than he normally does and his knowledge of East Asian customs and modus operandi. I liked how he met with Fijitsu and knew he was out there before Fijitsu made his prsense known in the normal sense. I liked the way he met with Tanaka, and waited politely for Augauwa to bring Tanaka to see him and await Tanaka's invitation to sit down and discuss things. I also liked the way Castillo replied to Tanaka's implied insult about being a Western Buffoon by calmly picking up his cup of green tea and drinking it and then thanking Tanaka when Tanaka hoped he liked their rare green tea. I also liked Castillo standing up to the Commissioner and manipulating him so that he could conduct his investigation the way he saw fit. This shows a little political Savy on the part of Castillo. I also liked the way he briefed and then tried to protect his people. Things I found puzzling: I've already mentioned the Sepakou question in another post, so I'll skip that one in detail here. Why did Caitlin and Crockett have to buy a house? What house was Caitlin at when Crockett first met her? That looked like a pretty big house (I'm not talking about the safe house) Why did Trudy remove her mask while she was dancing when she thought she saw Haskal? Didn't she remember that she had snubbed him in the hall of the police station when he had said hi to her? If she thought she recognized him wouldn't it mean he probably recognized her if she lowered the mask? Why was it raining during the sword fight and not during any of the rest of the scenes including when Fujitsu and Castillo go back to the house? It's also not raining when Crockett and Tubbs get there, and why are Crockett and Tubbs there anyway? 4/30/2010 - I watched this a few weeks ago, and I still feel the way I did then. I wanted to pass along a couple of comments from my husband. One: why did Tanaka not have any tattoos? Castillo said the more tatoos the higher the rank, since Tanaka was the head, how could he be clean skinned? Second: and this really bothered Mark. When Tanaka committed Sepakou, he didn't have a second of equal or next highest rank standing there to behead him so he would die in honor. I speculated because Agauwa had been dishonored since he lost the sword fight to Fujitsu, and was no longer available to perform this duty. Also Mark said that the way Tanaka committed sepakou showed that he thought he had won and beaten the police, and the clan was no longer disgraced, and he had died in honor but he wouldn't have died in honor without the beheading. I also thought that Crockett and Tubbs showing up at the end was out of place and not needed. This I suspect was done as some sort of way to have DJ and PMT in the last shot to appease their fans. Also was the interior Jerry's famous deli again? I thought I recognized one of the columns.

Overall, a quite decent show for season 4After watching this, I wondered if I should look at all of Miami Vice with an eye critical toward cinematography & directing of today vs. '87 or something else. Maybe it was just my mood (probably), but I spent time looking mainly for things that stuck out in a negative sense. They spent a LOT of money to make each ep of Vice, and I thought that should preempt a bit of "meh" directing in some of the early to mid scenes. They could have, and should have, concomitantly used quicker cuts during the action scenes to raise the tempo overall. These kinds of battle shots would not hold up today very well. So again, if you give a negative evaluation, the critical decision you have to make is: Is my opinion biased because of other era t.v./cinematography with overabundant emphasis on "Rgggrwawr EXTREME" or seizure-inducing breakneck speed? OR, was there just some, "Oh well," camerawork. Well, just remember all the good things about the show:The redeeming qualities::balloon:- CASTILLO Castillo smiling = SIX PACK ATTACK. Also Castillo decked out in tactical black Castillo.- GUNNY. R. Lee Armey - Oohrahgunnerysergeaaaaaaant!!!!!- MOOD. The element that really stood out through 'Rising Sun' was the use of lighting as an essential component to establish mood. The sets were ornate and evocative, the opener with the Limo, Castillo's office and the streets at night, and the final scene all kept very gloomy with the blue hues of pale neon. The sets, man, THE SETS were terrific!! - They used sex appeal (dancers, music - "Flesh for Fantasy" by Billy Idol, "Last Night" by The Smiths, and finally "Moon on Ice" by Yello. The latter is a really cool ambient song). And Trudy = OMG. She was hotter in season 4 than Gina in just about any ep I remember.- Suspense with Gina and Trudy held hostage. - Exoticism. Yakuza like stuff, like tattoos and chopping off pinkies.- They minimized use of Caitlin. Not a Caitlin hater though.- Hilarious, classic Crockett checking over the Testarrosa for bullet holes.The not so good::birdie:- RECYCLING of an overused Asian actor or two. Hollywood always cast that same recognizable guy as Yakuza boss, and in every martial arts movie within two decades... ugh.- A bit of CLICHED out material. "You were the master; I was the student..." I think that's hokey by today's standards. Cliche or rad back then?- SOME OF THE SETS with the mayor and police commissioner were stale and bland. The commissioner's acting w.r.t. the journalists felt weak and following a script, degrading the ability of the audience to immerse themselves in the show.- C & T reading some dossier of a 1940s Japanese general officer, complete with antique sepia photo. I mean, SERIOUSLY??!! They should've just established the Yakuza link in another creative way, while still keeping the history lesson. For example, have the Japanese supercop brief that info to Castillo or use some other method. - [**SPOILERS**] C & T showing up at the end after Castillo and the J. supercop karate-strutted around after beating ***. Huh? Well, Mr. Asian Hollywood just committed seppuku, and we got the classic entrance where the deed is already done, and we just have the star detectives of the show run inside and act all, "Whoa, were we late for the party?" Not the best way to end an ep. Just leave Castillo there.7/10 - On a really good day, maybe a bit higher. :clap:

This is no "Golden Triangle" or "Bushido," but it does make use of all of the OCB gang. I always like to see Castillo's knowledge of Asian ways & customs. I rate it 7/10.

• Like 1

I give this episode a very deserving 8. It had a style of its own in contrast to the other eps I rate highly. It has great entertainment value throughout. I also find it impressive how Castillo is so mutlilingual in the series. Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Spanish, as well as English, lol.

This is no "Golden Triangle" or "Bushido' date='" but it does make use of all of the OCB gang. I always like to see Castillo's knowledge of Asian ways & customs. I rate it 7/10.[/quote']Bingo, Tony...When Vice hits on the Asian side of things, it usually goes into some depth and it's interesting to me. This ep goes into some of the culture. The lady who serves tea, for instance. Great music and when Billy Idol plays, your in for some fun. Highlight? Trudy in the hallway, talking on the phone, dressed in that white outfit...THAT hurt! WOW...........Ok, I found this one a good story and the shoot-out was actually good...."Tubbs, cover me"...Sonny looks over the car and is amazed there's no damage while bodies are laying there...Made me laugh a little. Still getting used to Caitlin a bit and the house buying scene was worth a chuckle- A steal at what was it? 875K or something...I just hope the monogram towels turned out ok...A solid 8 from me...Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I really love this episode, it features plenty of action, great music and of course R. Lee Ermey, the only reason I can't give this episode a perfect score is that they try to set Castillo up as a man of great knowledge of asian culture but the yakuza (yakuza is never capitalized, it has to be spelled with small letters) is depicted somewhat stereotypically which is unusual for vice, I'd say the depictions of drug lords and even the human smugglers in Castillo's Golden Triangle episodes were fairly realistic but this episode felt like it was written by someone who hasn't really had a serious look at yakuza the way they had at looking at the drug barons and arms dealers of previous episodes past.Still, I score it a 9 for being very entertaining.

In my opinion,this episode is quite good,especially by Season 4 standarts.But in my view it can't hold a candle to the Castillo episodes from any previous Season.6\10

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I like this ep alot. Like some of you said, it's not better than other Castillo eps, but...It's more action packed. This ep has everything good from s1 and s2 - style, music (Jan Hammer and John Petersen), Billy Idol - Flesh for Fantasy is great, clever plot and interesting guest stars.8 out of 10Too bad that there are very few eps like this one in S4.

• 1 year later...

For some reason...In recent yrs, M000000000RTAL K0000000MBAT goes off like gong in my head when that Fujitsu guy appears on camera.Wonder why?Anyway, decent episode but not on par with Golden Triangle and Bushido.6/10

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but the businessman at the begining who was drowned, is never shown wearing an Ebel watch. Not even as he's being drowned, and his watchless arms are flayling around.....However, Tubbs states that the businessman's wife reported that he wore an "EBEL watch worth $15,000.00 that was given to him as an aniversary gift. He never took it off". They even show the dead mans white skin on his arm where a watch would have been on his tanned arm.Looks to me that he wasn't wearing the watch at the begining anyway.Can anyone confirm?Perhaps this should be in the BLOOPER THREAD?

Very true, i was just watching the scene and could not see any watch, which was suppose to be on his right arm wrist.

Very true' date=' i was just watching the scene and could not see any watch, which was suppose to be on his right arm wrist.[/quote'] I even looked to see if when he was at dinner, wearing his suit, I could see it appear at his sleeve.......nada.I don't get it.

• 1 year later...

This episode is really not that special, nor am I enthralled with it much. It's not a terrible or bad episode by any means. There's some cool action, sword fights, cutting off of fingers, etc... :p But, other than that the plot, acting, colors, etc...are kind of either re-hashes (plot) of many other shows, or weird (acting), or non-existent (colors). :rolleyes:It's just a bunch of stuff about Japanese mob guys, the Yakuza, and strange looking Japanese gang tattoos. We do get to see more of Castillo's knowledge of Asian gangs and killers...but it's just all kind of weird and bizarre....and in some aspects a little over-the-top. ;) Crockett and Tubbs are hardly seen in this one at all, either. Some of the guest stars and a couple songs were cool though...James Hong is an amazing actor and I always have enjoyed seeing him in the tons of stuff he's been in! R. Lee Ermey and Danny Kamekona were good too. A couple more songs by Yello (Moon On Ice and Si Senor The Hairy Grill) as well as Flesh For Fantasy by Billy Idol and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me by the Smiths were included as the soundtrack...along with Jan Hammer's usual superb songs. But, I really am not that impressed or excited by this one. Not terrible...just not memorable or special either. I gave it a 6.

Moon On Ice and Si Senor The Hairy Grill) as well as Flesh For Fantasy by Billy Idol and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me by the Smiths were included as the soundtrack...along with Jan Hammer's usual superb songs. But, I really am not that impressed or excited by this one. Not terrible...just not memorable or special either. I gave it a 6.

I don't really find it that "dark", so-to-speak. I think it's supposed to be, but like I said in my post above I found a lot of it a little over-the-top. This seemed more like an 80's "Ninja/martial arts" action movie than a serious "MV" episode. ;)

Enjoyable episode I found - less Crockett than the heavily Crockett themed / Sheena Easton arc but still enjoyable - hey its Miami Vice .:clap::shout::D