My Daytona Replica Build

tamug92

Guest The Talk

Great work, tamug92! :clap: I am delighted with the result. :glossy:I love those before and after pictures.When you have look in the inside of the car you could never believe that this will be on the road somewhen.Is it finished already? Did you drive it meanwhile?How many hours, days, weeks, years did you spend on this?

"Donor Car" - I like that.Well, at least she died for a good cause. Looks good so far.Yikesers - that looks like a lot of work (more than I would ever care to do).

Zcar DaytonaThanks. It was a 1983 Datsun 280ZX in just about perfect condition before it went under the knife. I mess around with it from time to time and hope to have it done by this summer. Running the stock 6 cyl for now which has amazing torque and is a blast to drive but after she's done will probably do the smallblock conversion. Got some parts from Tom McBurnie himself (along with an autographed photo of the Vice car) but mostly I am on my own. It's not a "kit", more like a bunch of fiberglass molded off a real Daytona so it's been a challenge but so far so good. The 2 amber front lenses are real Ferrari parts and cost half of what the donor car did! I have all the real Ferrari badging, a new interior etc etc. at the same time I'm building the car I'm also upgrading all the factory stuff like suspension, exhaust, brakes etc..I'll keep adding photos to the album as it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!!!Keep up the good work. I see you know what your doing and are doing a great job!At least the wife knows where you hang out at night :dance2:I also tinkered in the garage lots but I no longer have a workshop and I miss it immensely.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully will have more photos of the build soon. Going to see a very nice completed one in Los Angeles next week to get some ideas etc..

I wouldn't bother with a small block, those motors when set up correcly can create relaibile massive amounts of horsepower and tourquehttp://www.tunerzine.com/view_article/car_feature/sting-like-a-zthis college kid made car is an 11 second 140 mph monster out of one of the earlier 240z's.hey had a vid of him doing it with it but i cant find it anymore

• 3 months later...

Thanks Phil. I turned car over to Carl Coleman at Arizona Prototype to fit the nose, trunk lid and hood. He fabbed all the hinges and welded the gusseting at the rockers. The nose was just too out of whack and it was giving me hell. He basically had to cut, pull, squeeze, extend, shorten, glass etc..I pick the car up next week in the condition you see in the photos and finish her out myself.Maybe I'll have those bumpers of yours on her by next year!Thanks again for your help. You are probably the most knowledgable guy I know about these cars. And I agree with you, you make the car your own. I dont think there are many people who could walk up to a replica and say "that's not like the MV car, that's wrong, etc.") I also don't think many people have ever seen a real GTS/4 up close because they are so rare. I have seen a few and they are surprisingly sparce except for that amazing V-12.. And most kits don't look like a real Daytona, except maybe the Autokraft that's so popular in the UK. The MV car was fat and mean looking, huge fender flares and had a definite American look where as the real Daytona is a bit more subtle. I'm going for something in between. I always loved the factory 5 spoke alloys but Compo's were ridiculously expensive so I went with a modular. I personally never like the Boranis on that car but it was popular in the states. That's my one huge asthetic difference that will stand out and I'm sure some folks won't like my wheels but I do. Like you said, you make it your own...