Grand Theft Auto:Vice City

agent 47

• Administrators
On 6/10/2018 at 5:34 PM, James said:

Maybe 2020-2021 we'll hear something about it? 

I guess not. :)

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Not sure if anybody missed it or it's elsewhere on the forum, but you guys heard that GTA is coming back to Vice City in GTA VI, right??

It was figured out with some certainty from leaked gameplay footage in September 2022 (e.g. VCPG on a cop car), and just few days ago "confirmed" with more leaks including some work-in-progress map!

Screenshot2023-03-21075333.thumb.png.57c0a4553be329a69d333fb86a739e9a.png

• Like 4

I really wish the next game was set in the past. But GTAV made a ridiculous amount of money so they'll just try to replicate it's formula and success.

Imagine a giant map of like 1970s San Francisco, Las Vegas and (they've done L.A recently) maybe Seattle or something.

Or 80s Miami again..

• Like 3

One thing I've learned over the years....never try to predict what RockStar is going to do. Don't forget they also made a ton of money off a Western game (and LA Noir). There have been many hints over the years about going back to Miami, but they're also good at misdirection. Miami does makes some sense because GTAV was a return to Los Santos...it wasn't a new setting but rather an expanded one.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

Personnaly, I hope R* will update GTA Online with Vice City ... Would be awsome to made trips to differents locations.

I suspect they'll try to link products if they happen to be in the same time period, but who can tell. Again, trying to second-guess R* just doesn't work very well.

• Like 1

Seeing online some Vice City modded visuals with improved graphics and a female character - anybody knows where to download/buy one of these and how to apply it/use it? I am fairly sure this only works only for PC but not consoles.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 220056.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 220135.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 220257.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 220604.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 220833.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221020.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221037.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221336.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221440.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221644.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 221715.png

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 5

probably the old vice city remastered with mods. the cars are mods this is certain. as GTA doesn't have any real life brands. and the weather looks modded to me too. you can buy the remastered version on steam. but i didn't mod Vice city for ages. and according to my last tries, R* has been increasing the difficulties to mod their games over the years. hear if you never modded any GTA before, get ready for tut diving on the web. if you need help, you have good forums @ GTAforums

edit: after rewatching the pics, i think it's Vice city brought to GTA V engine. again you will need to search info on the net

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

probably the old vice city remastered with mods. the cars are mods this is certain. as GTA doesn't have any real life brands. and the weather looks modded to me too. you can buy the remastered version on steam. but i didn't mod Vice city for ages. and according to my last tries, R* has been increasing the difficulties to mod their games over the years. hear if you never modded any GTA before, get ready for tut diving on the web. if you need help, you have good forums @ GTAforums

edit: after rewatching the pics, i think it's Vice city brought to GTA V engine. again you will need to search info on the net

Yep, I'm also fairly sure it's GTA V engine. Half of the screenshots (Tommy and not that unknown female protagonist) are from this video, which does have some Patreon links in the description, but I didn't sign up to those creators to see if they just make it all easily available.

• Like 3

so i digged this a little bit. it seems it's a demo. they used original (remastered) vice city. brought it to unreal engine 5, and used GTA 5 mods, probably for the cars. so it's not GTA V engine, but unreal engine 5. i don't know if there's a playable version. pretty sure there's not. because if so they would immediately be sued by R* with the upcoming GTA 6. i don't have time to dig it deeper right now. there are tons of vids of the demo on youtube apparently

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

I KNOW, I know ... What I want to share with you fellow VICERS is no GTA .. But GT ... Gran Turismo !

I had the opportunity to buy a Testarossa and a GTB/4 in the game and ... I use the PSVR2 for the experience.

It is AMAZING ...

Sorry for the hack :freeze:

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

While GTA 6 is all the rage in the respective thread, I just found out something for here. 

And you guys might have known this of course, but I never played GTA Vice City Stories (it was made for PlayStation Portable), so haven't seen - there was literally a Phil Collins character there! @Dadrian @Kalci

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Phil_Collins

Screenshot2023-12-10101926.thumb.png.fd70e97087a296adb01cb12364e3cfa6.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paul Veres said:

While GTA 6 is all the rage in the respective thread, I just found out something for here. 

And you guys might have known this of course, but I never played GTA Vice City Stories (it was made for PlayStation Portable), so haven't seen - there was literally a Phil Collins character there! @Dadrian @Kalci

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Phil_Collins

Screenshot2023-12-10101926.thumb.png.fd70e97087a296adb01cb12364e3cfa6.png

Cool I didn't know this Phil Collins character either.

Cool Brick phone by the way :D

yeah I knew about this game but never played with it because at the time I didn't have a Playstation or Xbox.

Basically the render engine and physics were identical to previous GTAs so I guess it was just a different storyline with some refinements to graphics.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kalci said:

Cool I didn't know this Phil Collins character either.

Cool Brick phone by the way :D

yeah I knew about this game but never played with it because at the time I didn't have a Playstation or Xbox.

Basically the render engine and physics were identical to previous GTAs so I guess it was just a different storyline with some refinements to graphics.

It was the same thing (more or less) as the Ballad of Gay Tony for GTAIV and some of the stuff they came out with for GTA III. Little add-on mission content more or less.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Not sure if this has been posted here before or not, but here's Rockstar Games president and co-founder Sam Houser on how Miami Vice influences the GTA series. The guy is just like us, he's probably here. :cheers: Interview with "Edge Magazine" in 2012 (article is only accessible on archive.org now unfortunately)

But the thing that was more of a direct influence was Miami Vice, because it’s a little bit later. Scarface is earlier, like ’83, and it kind of looks it, but Miami Vice was ’84 to ’89, about five seasons, 110 or so episodes, and I’ve seen them all many times. Before you could get them on DVD I bought them off eBay – the crappiest quality VHS copies you’ve ever seen, and I have them all. What blew me away about that series – and Michael Mann is, I think, a visionary film maker – is that each episode was 50 minutes long, and they sort of hit on all the bases in every episode. It was very adult – I remember at the time watching it and thinking that it was very risqué. But it was an incredibly slick show, and when we were first talking about it, everyone was kind of laughing, like: “What are you on about?” And I was like, “No, no, no – it’s so slick”. Just in terms of music alone, when you look at the tracks that Miami Vice used, it’s an amazing list, and Michael Mann would create these miniature pop videos in every show which would be montages. So his use of music in the show was remarkable. A dream of mine and Dan [Houser]’s is to have a montage in a game, actually. We’re on our way; we’ll get it one day – a montage of your experiences set to music. Come on, that’s going to be amazing, right?

Also, Michael Mann’s use of colour and light is wonderful. Miami is such a beautiful place anyway, so the light is gorgeous, but his use of night lighting made it so glossy and sexy. He’s also an expert in the use of weapons, and we met all of the weapons experts who worked on Miami Vice. We got into the details in a hardcore way.

Then the other thing I loved – and we all loved, actually, although initially there was a lot of arm twisting that had to go on in order to make people watch it – was that each show was kind of like a mission. It may have had a few cool little action sequences in it which were novel, but the overarching story was like a mission, so there was so much cool stuff to take in, whether it was the vehicles they used – incredible cars, incredible helicopters, incredible boats – or whatever. While we were finishing GTAIII I would even go home at lunchtimes and watch episodes, and I did that for about a year – it was all I watched. You could sit there and watch it and get stills of so many moments in the show from just one episode and I’d think: “If we can just get that or this or that…” I remember Aaron [Garbut, GTA series art director] working so hard just to get the neon the way he wanted it. He’d been to Miami and he’d seen it in the show, and he knew exactly what he was looking for but it was so difficult [to achieve]. But when he got it right, you were just like [snaps fingers]: “That’s it!”

So there were plenty of other things that influenced us but I would have to say the strongest influence of all became Miami Vice – more so than Scarface, even though the story is more of a Scarfacey story. You can’t beat Miami Vice’s style, its production values, and its focus on details. Michael Mann went on to be one of the best film makers around, but Miami Vice just resonated with us. So hard.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, James said:

Not sure if this has been posted here before or not, but here's Rockstar Games president and co-founder Sam Houser on how Miami Vice influences the GTA series. The guy is just like us, he's probably here. :cheers: Interview with "Edge Magazine" in 2012 (article is only accessible on archive.org now unfortunately)

This is absolutely amazing, and thank you for the find.

I also liked an earlier paragraph, where he describes the crime of the 80s in Miami.

...as we were all talking the idea that seemed to have the most meat on it, the one that had the most material that we could work with – in a lot of areas we’re interested in: the vibe, the storytelling, the culture, the fashion, the music and on and on and on – was Miami in the ’80s. To me, it’s still hands-down the grooviest era of crime because it didn’t even feel like it was crime. You had Cuban hitmen coming across and gunning people down in the street, but it was still celebrated in a sort of haze of cocaine and excess and Ferraris and Testarossas, and it was a totally topsy-turvy back-to-front period of time. It was everything that was crazy about the ’80s, and it was in America so it was crazier – and geographically it’s the gateway to the whole of Latin America and the Caribbean, and so everything floods in there.

It was a place that I had grown up loving.

I also found interesting the bits about the music in the game.

We’d gone from our in-house music – which was so high-quality but was clearly satirical and its own thing – to drum’n’bass and Moving Shadow and all those guys, and the classical music, and the Scarface soundtrack, to Hall and Oates and 99 Luftballons and so on. The first time I played the game with the music, when I was over at [Rockstar] North, I was like, “Whoah”. I had a weird reaction. It felt like crossing a line between the reality and the fiction...

... personal favorite moment from Vice City would have to be sitting on a PCJ600, driving down the main strip listening to Out Of Touch by Hall and Oates. I always liked Hall and Oates but that was the track that I wasn’t familiar with. A lot of the music we put in that game was stuff that we kind of re-researched and rediscovered, so it was either kind of newish to us or it felt very fresh. So, going over the issues I had initially with the real-life music, by the time the actual game was finished I was so connected with it that I thought it was just stunning.

Big deal, there is also mention of Philip Michael Thomas doing Lance and how the whole thing came together just right, and they actually wanted to capture the vibe of Crockett and Tubbs!

In terms of other moments, what also worked for me was Lance Vance, played by Philip Michael Thomas, who is actually one of the nicest people you could ever meet, a seriously cool bloke. I thought some of the interplay between him and Tommy Vercetti was awesome. It really captured the Crockett and Tubbs vibe that we wanted – I thought the fact that we could get that from a game was incredible. The game as a whole package captured and evoked that era of Miami in the ’80s, and it was made by a bunch of British people – even though obviously there was the crew here in New York, too. The guys up in Edinburgh only went to Miami once, and it was quite a piss-up when they did. They obviously did a lot of work but it was straight after GTAIII, and we all went to Miami, the whole crew, and from the first day to what Vice City ended up being, it was a mental feeling. And we were making it very much for ourselves...

[people still talk about Vice City as their favorite game in the series] ... I think it’s because of what we would call the vibe. I think it’s the combination of the music, the clothing, the vehicles and other things... with that game all of the things we set out to do with it, and all the little details, everyone picked up on everything, and I think that’s awesome.

And that they effectively made Vice City in nine months!

Anyhow, here's the full interview in case anybody was looking for it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121209050201/http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

This is absolutely amazing, and thank you for the find.

I also liked an earlier paragraph, where he describes the crime of the 80s in Miami.

I also found interesting the bits about the music in the game.

Big deal, there is also mention of Philip Michael Thomas doing Lance and how the whole thing came together just right, and they actually wanted to capture the vibe of Crockett and Tubbs!

And that they effectively made Vice City in nine months!

Anyhow, here's the full interview in case anybody was looking for it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121209050201/http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/

I like how he basically just forced everyone to watch it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...