Episode #76 "Like A Hurricane"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

A true sign of desperation to improve the falling ratings, I find the marriage a complete waste of time. Last week they try and turn Miami Vice into a Sci-Fi show, this week it’s soap opera time. To make it worse, Sheena Easton is bloody annoying and not that good looking. The story is weak as well. However there are some decent elements to the episode, nice mini-boat chase and the pre-credits sequence was good until Easton had her rant. Also Jan Hammer’s wedding tune is top class. I'll give this 4/10.

I give this story a 6, but only by a small margin. It was just barely viewable to endure the entire episode, but not one that gets my raves.

I cannot help it but I am a sucker for this ep. Maybe because I am a hopeless romantic.I think Caitlin and Sonny go wel together because she is the first woman in the series who doesn't fall at his feets and stays a indepent strong women.The acting of DJ is in my opion strong because you get to see a total new sight of Sonny. He is able to let us see a more vunerable and really in love man who at the same time stays strong and in control to protect the one he loves.I really like the "I do not play" speach from Sonny at the restaurant.The song while Sonny was purposing to Caitlin is a great song and verry wel chosen in.The scene between RIco and Sonny in the tactic room was funny and movingAnd finally the speach of Castillo at Sonny's party. Strong and short! Way to go!A 9 for this ep from me

I forgot that this is the episode where Sonny meets & marries Caitlin, all in less than an hour. In fact, he goes from despising her to loving her in about 35 min. He had a false idea of her being a celebrity trying to get some needed publicity, until the 3 hit-men showed up at the fancy seafood restaurant to kill her. After learning that her bass player was killed, which she couldn't prove & Caitlin seeing how Sonny put his life on the line for her, their love was born & blossomed immediately. He even has his son Billy meet Caitlin, so we know this is the real thing! In one scene, I noticed that Caitlin looked & the pitch of her voice sounded a lot like Gina's. This made me wonder if sub-consciously this made Sonny more attracted to her. I did feel bad for Gina...always jilted for another woman. Even my wife said, "she really loves him." I liked the good feeling in this episode, of Sonny truly in love, the best wishes from his OCB buddies from 10 yrs., (Castillo, congratulating him with a big smile) & Rico wishing him the best as a true friend & partner but worried about the future. I even liked Sheena Easton's singing, although we didn't hear enough. Crockett confirms in this episode that the car, clothes & shoes are loaned to him by the department, & he's a $475 a week working stiff. The wedding scene was too short, although we get a glimpse of Jan Hammer. Crockett looked great in his wedding tux. I like the good feel of this episode & will watch it many more times. I rate it 9/10. I still like this episode, as when I first reviewed it. Sheena Easton is a great singer, although some fans may not like the type of songs, but she has a true singing voice and I think she is very pretty.I saw her on "Outer Limits" playing a country - rock singer. That's her strong point! I feel she is the best woman for Sonny, although their jobs hurt the marriage. I still feel bad for Gina ....always rejected.I still rate this a 9 .

• Like 3

Episode 76: Like A HurricaneGuess I'm going soft here but even though this episode doesn't have too many outstanding things and the soft romantic stuff really makes my stomach turn but I'm giving this episode a 7.Then again, my softness maybe because I have a better appreciation of episodes that are not Missing Hours and The Big Thaw.I have found a newfound love of non-suctacular episodes! Thanks Missing Hours!

To quote The Simpsons again, adding a new character is often a desperate attempt to boost low ratings. My only question is why? Why Sheena Easton? That's the best they could come up with? OK, I was all for Sonny finding a partner and getting married(not all in one episode though!). It would make a change and add some depth to his character after 3 seasons of singledom and living on a boat. But marrying Caitlin was just dumb. How could he work undercover if he was married to a famous celebrity? I'd like to overlook the fact that Caitlin was ever on Miami Vice. I'm not a fan of Caitlin or her whole presence on the show so it's a cinch I don't like this ep. Get Frank Hackman already! 3/10

• Like 2

My original review Like a Huricane. 05 November 2007 at 7:58pm"Like a Hurricane" is one of my favorite episodes of this season, mostly because I've always liked Sheena Easton. It's also a novelty to see Teller talk! I rate it a 7.5 The Music also seems to fit the scenes for the most part. The opening act of some kind of rap group seemed appropriate to emphasize that Caitlin's music was somewhat in the past as compared to the present day music. Also it seemed to go with the bratty Moon of Moon and the Blowguns and Tommy's lecture to Caitlin on Payola being the same except for inflation. I love Jan Hammer's music throughout this episode, especially the wedding music and the music being played when Caitlin finally tells Sonny her real motivation for testifying against Tommy Lowe and She and Sonny make love on the boat. It's a nice change to see Sonny turn from sarcastic and irritable to happy, (I love any excuse to see DJ's smile!). Although it was special circumstances and the way Sonny and Caitlin were sniping at each other suggested to me an attraction to each other they were fighting because of their preconceptions of each other, it would have been more believable if Sonny and Caitlin had took at least another day or week to decide they should get married to each other. I guess TPTB wanted this marriage quickly for ratings purposes. Also this quick marriage miight help us not think Sonny quite a cad for giving Gina no warning, if he appeared to have fallen helplessly in love with Caitlin. It was also clear that Caitlin was pushing for a proposal of marriage rather than a liason, or informal relationship. Interesting that the music playing in the background of Crockett's proposal was Sheena's "When he shines", a song which talks about the good and bad points of a guy. Again we see that there is a special relationship between Sonny and Gina and he even acknowledges it by calling her out and telling her the news of his upcoming nuptials before announcing it to everyone else including his own partner, (though he does have a special conversation with Rico after all the congradulations) and then asking the question "do you want to talk?" Gina replies "talk about what ? What difference does it make now?" Then Gina comes through with the idea of getting airline tickets for Crockett's honeymoon in New Zealand and as she told him. "I just want you to be happy" (Gina really loved this guy) I feel like crying every time I see that scene. It also was a nice touch for Sonny to apprise Caroline of his new love and wanting Billy to meet her. This must have helped Caroline a little bit as she must have felt a little guilt at marrying Bob and springing it on Sonny the way she had, not that the guilt was eating her up or anything. The wedding was tastefully done in that we didn't actually hear the ceremony, just Jan Hammer's music, and seeing Sonny mouth the words of the wedding vow. Caitlin and Sonny putting on each other's rings and then the camera shot of their ringed hands clasped together also told the story. It also showed Sonny's immediate colleagues attend his marriage ceremony, and Rico was his best man, and his son Billy was there. I gues that was Max the producer that gave Caitlin away, and of course Angie was her brides maid We also get an introduction to Freemont & Wiggins and exactly what kind of people they really are as we know they set up Tommy Lowe to be killed by the supposed remix of the Blowguns single that They wanted Tommy to listen to but was really plastique. We also get a hint that Caitlin might not be out of danger yet. 4-23-10 I still like alot about this episode, and I truly wish they had set up the proposal and marriage to take a little longer, but also I realize that the two were desparate not to lose touch with one another, and it was apparent from the way Caitlin was hinting, that she wanted nothing less than marriage from Crockett. Maybe the being shot at together finding the flipside of the mutal disdain of each other which was only masking the love could also explain the haste in which this was done. Rico must have been a miracle worker to get everybody from Sonny's acquaintances to drop their plans, and attend his impomptu bachelor party. and Marty must have even given Rico permission to have everybody in an Undercover facility. Maybe they didn't know he was a cop, maybe they thought he and Rico were partners in the Gold Coast Shipping. I don't htink everybody there was supposed to be a cop, and even if they were, that would be a serious lax in security if they were allowed in at the undercover offices of Vice!. Still all in all, I really liked this episode, and one of my favorite part was Teller Talks!Just an interesting point. The guy who played Tommy Lowe was in the pilot for Nash Bridges as the guy who was the boss of the guy selling the computer chips to the Chinese. I'll give Like a Huricane an 8 becuase I gave missing Hours a 7 and this was better than that episode. (even though I like MH)

• Like 1

To quote The Simpsons again, adding a new character is often a desperate attempt to boost low ratings. My only question is why? Why Sheena Easton? That's the best they could come up with? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think she was on the song charts around that time.

• 3 weeks later...

My soft side loves this ep and it had some boat chase, great Testa scenes and some guns along with some witty dialog, yet I too felt this one went a bit tooooo fast. At least there is some kinda story as to how they met and worked thru thier differences. Why NBC decided the most eligible bachelor should get hitched is beyond me. Wellcraft should have given a new, bigger, faster boat. I'm sure that would have boosted ratings, yet taking the vows?(not that there's anything wrong with that) Sonny should be happy with being the only one whos been with Gina and lived to tell about it-not to mention marrying someone else...And she recommends them on a honeymoon...I likes Martin's speach and Rico was a stand-up guy(literally) with his speach and being a good friend while Sonny was going thru this with the ring and all...Strong 9 from me and a good season 4 performer. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

This episode gets a 4 from me.I think it was a VERY bad decision to marry Crockett.And in addition to this,I think it's a streching reality that an undercover officer can live with a famous singer without getting his cover blown.Not to mention that Caitlin was damn annoying.A very bad move.It seems that in Season 4 they were trying to find a new footing for the show and revert the ratings,but I think that turnning Miami Vice into soap opera wasn't a great idea.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I gave this a 4. The story itself is ok but why did he marry her??? Why did they try to tame him and make him a nice husband, living in a house thats totally not his style? Why were they trying to change his image? I always thought it was quite fitting that he couldnt make a relatonship work, having an ex wife and son (didnt like carolyn at first either but she still much better then caitlin and smarter, knowing what she wants he cant give and not trying to change him either). And even if they wanted to show him in a relationship they should have matched him up with Gina, could have made that interesting too with them working undercover together. Really liked Tubbs for being honest with him, while everybody else was thinking "oh what an idiot" but still pretending to be happy about it. Poor Gina though.. nope, don't like this one. wonder why they were trying to change sonny. and why they rushed it all in one episode, hating her, gettin to know her, falling in love in less then two minutes,marrying her...they should have just added the divorce too! :evil:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

NO! Sonny Crockett with a ring on his finger? *wails* I never saw him as the marrying type. Also...he only met this woman thirty minutes ago, and suddenly, he's in love with her? I mean, REALLY?Anyway, my comments:The Good:

[*]Did I ever mention I love Don Johnson? He was...just beautiful in this episode. So naive and vulnerable, so sweet. I especially loved the scene between him and Rico in the briefing room...but...I'll get to that later.

[*]OK, so Caitlin isn't actually that bad so far...she's quite cute, although she isn't worth Sonny, and she's not bad as an actress. That's all the praise I am going to give her at the moment.

The Bad:

[*]Once again, where the hell was Rico? Is he some sort of background character now? I hate it when he's just shoved to the sidelines, and only appears on the phone. Grrr. *makes angry face*

[*]Really, thirty minutes to fall in love to the point of getting married? I know that Sonny is very unlucky in love, but...really? This is going to end in tears, and maybe Caitlin is just a plot device so we can see another side to Sonny. I suppose I'm just sold on the building up of a relationship, instead of it all happening in ONE EPISODE.

[*]Sonny and Gina should be together. Just saying.

CrockettandTubbsness:

[*]Rico knew that Sonny was going to get married before he even said it; that was clear from his reaction in the briefing room. I think he knew that Caitlin and Sonny were getting it on when they collected them from the dock (not that Sonny made it subtle with his shirt open and his hair ruffled).

[*]Nevertheless, the scene in the briefing room was very sweet and moving, good on Rico to tell it like it is, but to also admit that he is happy for his partner. I loved it, it will become one of my favourite scenes. Good to see them both caring about each other!

[*]I liked Rico's speech at the congratulations party thing; simple, short and sweet, and the toast that they did to each other. Yay for partners!

After watching this episode, I was feeling more emotional than normal. I cannot really explain that...I was actually quite happy, even though the idea of Sonny being married is obviously depressing because he is the guy who should not have a ring on his finger. But I was happy for him, and I even nearly shed a tear for, and I quote;"My little guy getting married."So, it gets a 7. I don't like him being married, but Sonny Crockett in love is gorgeous, and I am sure it will lead to some great character development in the future. As long as he doesn't start abandoning Rico to go off with her. 7/10

• 3 months later...

When Crockett Meets Caitlin, falls in love and gets married in 42 mins.Okay she was annoying at times, but they were kinda cute together.But the romance might have been more believable, had it played out in a few eppys.Crammin it into only one screamed desperate ratings ploy.Always feel bad for Gina, at least Sonny had the decency to tell her his wedding plans in private.But it's still tough to watch.6/10

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to agree with TommyV..Is THIS the best they could come with when they needed more viewers? like seriously Sheena easton? I had only ever heard of her singing that james bond theme song but that was years before she came on vice. Did they just pick some arbitrary female singer out of a list? They should have atleast gotten someone attractive. They could have gotten paula abdul :p or some other B List singer. Madonna was doing movies around this time so why not her, alright attractiveness goes out of the window but she has some star power :D.In hindsight and as fans of the show, We would have rather seen more "smugglers blues-in the keyes, bahamas, cuba etc type eps than the "new sonny crockett soap opera meets the occasional GOD AWFUL sci-fi show" but maybe this is the best they could do on the reduced budget they had and dick wolf messing up the show with any chance he had. Oh and that dashboard explosion is just unforgivable, I want to give it a -1/10 just for that scene.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I like this episode...still a good one for season 4!Now, I will admit that how fast Crockett and Caitlin fall in love and decide to get married was ridiculous! :rolleyes: He knew her barely more than a week, if I understood the time period in the episode correctly. That's just dumb. :pBut, I did like the plot, action, and even the storyline of Crockett falling in love again. Gina will always be the true woman for Sonny, in my opinion, but the only other girls Crockett had that I also liked was Theresa and then Caitlin. Now, even though I think Sheena Easton (Caitlin) can be beautiful...I did not like her punk/chopped-up hairdew in "MV". :eek:However, I still liked her character and how strong, forthright, independent, but loving she was. She truly cared about her business whether it made her tons of money or not. She cared about children, family, and friends. I also think Sheena is a pretty good singer, and has an amazing voice. :clap: I loved Crockett's so-called "disgust" for celebrities and all their egotistical hang-ups and quirks...considering most of what he threw at Caitlin was what Don Johnson was known to be like in real life. :) Such is Hollywood. The action in this was awesome, and I loved the shoot out at the restaurant, and the subsequent boat chase! :thumbsup: I also really liked the scene between Crockett and Caitlin after the bad guys leave and they're stranded in the boat...where she finally tells Sonny the real reason she's testifying against Tommy and what her purpose is. Then he realizes what an a** he's been and they reveal their true feelings for each other. Cheesy, I know...but like it or not "cheese" is part of real life too. :DThe guest-stars, besides Sheena, were awesome and interesting too! Xander Berkeley was amazing as the sleezy/creepy music agent Tommy Lowell. The hit on him, where his Porsche blows up with him in it, was very "mobish" and fitting. ;) Tony Hendra was also a good choice for creepy, "evil" music producer Gordon Wiggins. Clayton Barclay Jones was back again as Crockett's son Billy, and I really loved the scenes between them as Sonny tells him about Caitlin.The music was pretty good in this...again Sheena Easton has an amazing voice. However, When He Shines was not my favorite, and was kind of an odd song. But, a remake or not (and despite what Crockett originally said about it) I actually did like her version of I Got You Babe. :radio:The Domination by the M.C.'s of Rap also made an interesting and ear-catching opener for the episode. Love Jan Hammer's wedding song as well! The ending with the wedding was cool, and I really like it! :cool: However, I did feel bad for Gina when Sonny first tells her he's getting married. That tells me there was still something between them (at least emotionally), and I still like Saundra Santiago better! :happy: But, I loved how all of Crockett's old friends got together to congratulate him, Castillo's speech and support of Sonny, and even Gina's eventual understanding of the situation. Billy was funny with being hot in his little tux and swatting mosquitos, and Jan Hammer's cameo as the head of the wedding band/music was superb as always! :clap: It was a beautiful wedding scene and a happy time for Crockett...as we know many times good things don't last forever, and more tragic/"dark" times are ahead.Overall I really like this one and enjoy watching it. But, how fast Sonny and Caitlin fall in love and get married is pretty crazy...as well as I again don't like Caitlin's whacked out hair dew. :evil: Even though I do like this episode...because of those couple aspects I gave this one an 8. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Interesting to watch Season 2 of the current Abc show "Revenge " made in 2012-2013 with 2 episodes Directed by Colin Bucksey - who directed "Death and the Lady", "Like a Hurrricane" , "Rock and a Hard Place " and "Victims of Circumstance" - a great director who direced these great episodes of MV in Season 4-5.

Also Bobby Roth directed some episodes of this Season of Revenge also ( " Give a Little take a litlle " from Season 1 ) .

:D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :radio:

• 1 year later...

The moment when Crockett and Catilin were making out on the boat after the shootout was unintentionally hilarious.  It seemed so forced that those two would want to make out after such a life-threatening situation, and on the back of the boat no less. :)   Her character seems okay and compatible with Crockett's since they both could relate to the busyness of their demanding jobs, but the fact that they married within 3-4 days of knowing each other was too much though.

...I guess I could somehow reason that considering Crockett's misfortune with women, he seems to be a desperate romantic.  One example is in "Definitely Miami", is that although he knows Callie Basset was using him, the fact that he seems easily charmed and fallen for her with the line of him saying something close to "I wish my heart could catch up to my brain" and that he's so troubled by it, indicates how easily he can fall in love.  Another example is in "Theresa", when Crockett is willing to get reassigned within the police department and makes many changes to his job despite the tall hurdles the addiction psychiatrist tells him about, adds more credence to it.  Include this with the loneliness that is palpalable in his line of work outside of his friends within Vice, it makes it a little easier to understand how eager Crockett would be to get married.

I guess in Crockett's mind the fact that Caitlin wasn't a madam ("By Hooker By Crook"), or a junkie ("Theresa"), wasn't conning him in some way ("Definitely Miami" with Callie Basset and "French Twist" with Danielle Hier), and already first-hand witnessed the pressures of his job and was somewhat comfortable with it (unlike with Brenda in "Nobody Lives Forever"), made him reason she was best he was ever going to find.

But this season so far at this point, it seems like the producers are trying anything to get the ratings up in including more "ripped from the headlines" material ("Amen... Send Money"), science fiction ("Missing Hours"), comedy ("The Big Thaw"), focusing on Crockett's family ("Child's Play"), to getting Crockett married ("Like A Hurricane").  It certainly is an uneven season and seems to be a "throw anything on the wall to see if it sticks" approach.

The episode is good and decent as it can certainly show Crockett trying to balance his work and marriage with the lessons he's learned after divorcing Caroline, but the scenes with the quickie wedding and make out on the boat, reveal how impatient the series is at this point in wanting to boost its ratings.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Although it was special circumstances and the way Sonny and Caitlin were sniping at each other suggested to me an attraction to each other they were fighting because of their preconceptions of each other, it would have been more believable if Sonny and Caitlin had took at least another day or week to decide they should get married to each other. I guess TPTB wanted this marriage quickly for ratings purposes. Also this quick marriage miight help us not think Sonny quite a cad for giving Gina no warning, if he appeared to have fallen helplessly in love with Caitlin. It was also clear that Caitlin was pushing for a proposal of marriage rather than a liason, or informal relationship. (snipped)  Again we see that there is a special relationship between Sonny and Gina and he even acknowledges it by calling her out and telling her the news of his upcoming nuptials before announcing it to everyone else including his own partner, (though he does have a special conversation with Rico after all the congradulations) and then asking the question "do you want to talk?" Gina replies "talk about what ? What difference does it make now?" Then Gina comes through with the idea of getting airline tickets for Crockett's honeymoon in New Zealand and as she told him. "I just want you to be happy" (Gina really loved this guy) I feel like crying every time I see that scene.

I agree that the relationship developed too fast to be totally credible, athough as others have said, Sonny can be very impulsive in matters of the heart.  Always liked Sheena Easton and thought she was very pretty (in spite of the hairstyle) but no matter how impulsive Sonny is, I just didn't think she was the one for him.  I couldn't see why her character of Caitlin was so ready to just jump into marriage.  Gina knew him, and I think she understood him better than anyone.  I was majorly disappointed they never linked up for good.  Loved the conversation with Sonny where he told her of his impending marriage in private (although it broke my heart!) because Gina handled it perfectly.  And she did, obviously, care for him and wanted him to be happy.

It was very generous of Gina to arrange the NZ honeymoon trip and collect the money, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion she chose NZ because when Sonny and Caitlin were at the other end of the earth and actually on a different day of the week, she wouldn't have to be tortured with wondering if they were doing it at the same time she (Gina) might be awake!  

I remember watching this as it originally aired. My first thoughts as a teenager were, a) "at least the episode has some action, unlike most of season 4 to this point," and b) (re: going from single to married in one episode), "well... ...that happened..."

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Poor episode. I am all for the idea of Sonny being married but Sheena Easton was the worst choice they could have went for. I read that Debbie Harry was on that list of women that was almost chosen, and she would have been a better choice but it still wouldn't have fixed everything. The idea alone of Crockett; an undercover Vice detective, being married to a super star celebrity was bad and a poor combo.

It's obviously they went for this angle with a new character after the abysmal ratings of the horror called 'Missing Hours'. Sheena Easton managed to ruin half the season with her atrocious acting, the lesser said about her, the better. 

• Like 2