Episode #76 "Like A Hurricane"

Ferrariman

Always enjoy this episode - great locations, music (in particular "Wedding" score from JH heard throughout the episode) and upbeat feel - ok shamelessly to improve Miami Vice's slipping ratings by the fall of 1987 !:D

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ok. While not exactly a favorite, I enjoy this episode.

Sheena Easton isn't much of an actress but she was pretty and had a decent voice. I despise her haircut though. The only time she gets on my nerves is in Love At First Sight.

The main flaw with this one is how fast the two get married. They could have done that in like 2 episodes or something.

However, it's actually pretty entertaining. I like a lot of the guest stars, music, and scenery.

Honestly, not much to say here.

6/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed watching this episode until..... the boat chase. Till then it was entertaining with both teasing each other quite funny, and Crockett returning to the ultimate Vice look surrounded by Scarab and Testarossa including beautiful scenery and decent action. 

But seriously, wtf happened then?! It suddenly turned into a completely ridiculous, and cheesy soap opera with Sonny getting married within minutes. Barely any screen time for Tubbs, and out of a sudden nobody cared anymore about the case, nor who was behind these murders. On top it's more than weird that an undercover cop marries a celebrity in public and continues to work normally afterwards. 

Anyway, 9/10 for the first half of the episode, 3/10 for the 2nd. 6/10 in total. 

17 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

It suddenly turned into a completely ridiculous, and cheesy soap opera with Sonny getting married within minutes

The episode title is the warning. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I forget, but is there any indication how much time passes between when they first met and when they got married?  I know it happens fast and its a common complaint on the episode, but I always assumed at least some time had passed before the decision was made.

On 4/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, AzVice said:

the miami vice wikia claims Lorraine Bracco was originally chosen for the character but she got sick.

True, here she is on the set with Don, very good actress.

image.png.68b017ab6544e93c95ca90be78d6be6f.png

On 11/20/2018 at 10:31 PM, Dadrian said:

Wow! I never knew this. She was to play Caitlin? That would have been way better for me. :fireworks:

I read some where that she would have played an actress instead of a singer, real shame she became unwell, really good actress.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:02 PM, squeezem3 said:

...and almost another one from the Sopranos cast. Indeed a pity it didnt happen.

Real shame.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I know Bracco is a superior actress, but for Miami Vice Easton was the better pick. The story of a pop singer was also better than that of an actress. Bracco also wouldn't have produced the ratings grab that Easton did imo. Plus Easton being petite was able to sell the need to be rescued better and could get more sympathy when she gets killed.  It's still heartbreaking to watch her die like she does. They couldn't have killed Bracco like that unless she was doing a play or something. Btw, I really don't get the Easton/Caitlyn hate around here. Obviously acting wasn't Sheena's first profession but Vice was never primarily concerned with great acting in the first place (although it did exist on the show often). It seems to a lot of people are projecting "don't take my Sonny away" onto her which isn't really fair.  It's as if Caitlyn symbolizes a turning point in the show for some people. Maybe somebody can explain?

• Like 1

For me, nothing about her was enjoyable in MV—no bad feelings against her personally, or her singing talent. I agree about the ratings and singer angle being a better fit for the show. I wish they would have picked a different singer. Bracco could have probably sang better than Easton acted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bren10 said:

It seems to a lot of people are projecting "don't take my Sonny away" onto her which isn't really fair.  It's as if Caitlyn symbolizes a turning point in the show for some people. Maybe somebody can explain?

This is partially true. Not because I feel like a jealous female fan, but Crockett and Tubbs simply don't work as they're supposed to be when they're in a serious relationship. They are independent, tough undercover cops and this whole aura of freedom (with occasional affairs, of course) is gone as soon as one of the two main characters gets a significant other. The creators of the show were probably aware of it, at least I guess that's why they took Sonny's family apart right after the pilot. But then they changed their mind, because they felt they have to add something fresh. Like in season 3 with the dark style. 

I'm totally sure, MV could have stayed successful without changing anything significantly after Season 2. All it took was creative crime stories, directed well. And the stylish Original Vice vibe of pastels, driving scenes, and nightlife. 

Edited by squeezem3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I'm sorry, I know Bracco is a superior actress, but for Miami Vice Easton was the better pick. The story of a pop singer was also better than that of an actress. Bracco also wouldn't have produced the ratings grab that Easton did imo. Plus Easton being petite was able to sell the need to be rescued better and could get more sympathy when she gets killed.  It's still heartbreaking to watch her die like she does. They couldn't have killed Bracco like that unless she was doing a play or something. Btw, I really don't get the Easton/Caitlyn hate around here. Obviously acting wasn't Sheena's first profession but Vice was never primarily concerned with great acting in the first place (although it did exist on the show often). It seems to a lot of people are projecting "don't take my Sonny away" onto her which isn't really fair.  It's as if Caitlyn symbolizes a turning point in the show for some people. Maybe somebody can explain?

I agree with you, both about Bracco and the plot potential.  I've also felt that there is some "Easton-Caitlin hate" here :).  It seems that many people dislike most of Crockett's women, with particular comments about short hair an/or unattractiveness.  I don't know what the show's leaders were thinking, but I always suspected they were trying to go outside the box with Crockett's love interests.  For myself, I always enjoyed Easton's singing and her high-energy persona (my perception, at least) felt like a good fit for the show.  She was a tiny dynamo and I think she was very attractive, although her short hair isn't my favorite style.  The thing I really disliked about the Caitlin storyline was the way the whole relationship was rushed.  I get that she hit him like a hurricane, I just don't believe it.  Admittedly, it's possible that some time passes that isn't shown, allowing the relationship to develop a bit more, but there's definitely an impression that everything occurs within a week or two. There was also the unbelievability of this undercover cop marrying a public figure, etc.  

Jan Hammer’s score is really on-point for this episode, I will say—complete with a cameo! There are a couple of John Petersen cues in there, too. 

6 hours ago, squeezem3 said:

This is partially true. Not because I feel like a jealous female fan, but Crockett and Tubbs simply don't work as they're supposed to be when they're in a serious relationship. They are independent, tough undercover cops and this whole aura of freedom (with occasional affairs, of course) is gone as soon as one of the two main characters gets a significant other. The creators of the show were probably aware of it, at least I guess that's why they took Sonny's family apart right after the pilot. But then they changed their mind, because they felt they have to add something fresh. Like in season 3 with the dark style. 

I'm totally sure, MV could have stayed successful without changing anything significantly after Season 2. All it took was creative crime stories, directed well. And the stylish Original Vice vibe of pastels, driving scenes, and nightlife. 

I could not have said this better, some people say that it needed to change in some way after season 2, I say why? I mean the whole point in why the public loved the show was because of it original concept, it was only into the third year, what show dramatically changes after its second season anyway? did The X-Files change after S2, The Sopranos or Monk after 2 seasons? any show?

"The Sopranos" for example, season 1 is a lot like season 4.

With "Miami Vice" who would have complained if the show continued with all those things you mentioned? I bet nobody, not a soul.

Edited by RedDragon86

Thoses above things are true, but those other shows were not as tied in to pop culture and trends as Miami Vice was.  MV was based on the zeitgeist of the times and thus the staff felt pressure to remain hip.  1984-85 was different stylistically from 86-87.  Those things are always in flux and I'm sure there was pressure to keep up in their minds.  Now whether that would actually matter to the fans or not is another matter.  What matters is that the powers-that-be felt there needed to be a change, for whatever reason.  Add to that the creative restlessness of Michael Mann/Dick Wolf and things end up changing.  

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Thoses above things are true, but those other shows were not as tied in to pop culture and trends as Miami Vice was.  MV was based on the zeitgeist of the times and thus the staff felt pressure to remain hip.  1984-85 was different stylistically from 86-87.  Those things are always in flux and I'm sure there was pressure to keep up in their minds.  Now whether that would actually matter to the fans or not is another matter.  What matters is that the powers-that-be felt there needed to be a change, for whatever reason.  Add to that the creative restlessness of Michael Mann/Dick Wolf and things end up changing.  

After 2 the way I see it all they did was make the clothes darker and the storylines were much weaker, also Crockett wasn't the same, he went from being a burnt out, brooding cop to a happy go lucky detective, he acted way much better in 1&2, Dons approach was certainly different, the real Crockett belongs in those seasons. 

54 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

After 2 the way I see it all they did was make the clothes darker and the storylines were much weaker, also Crockett wasn't the same, he went from being a burnt out, brooding cop to a happy go lucky detective, he acted way much better in 1&2, Dons approach was certainly different, the real Crockett belongs in those seasons. 

I didn't see him as burnt in S1 & 2.  He may have looked that way at times because of the lifestyle, but I think he was still "into it" at that time.  He was always the more cynical as opposed to Tubbs, but cynicism doesn't necessarily equal burnout.  I never thought of the happy go lucky thing myself-a lot of bad stuff happens in Sonny's life in S3-The Good Collar, nearly going crazy in Shadow In The Dark, Zito dying, Stone dying, the Theresa problem,  Hackman etc.  If you see optimism in Sonny's demeanor, then I assume he's doing that to keep himself sane.   A big Mann-erism is "Make it go away with work" after all.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 9:33 PM, Bren10 said:

I didn't see him as burnt in S1 & 2.  He may have looked that way at times because of the lifestyle, but I think he was still "into it" at that time.  He was always the more cynical as opposed to Tubbs, but cynicism doesn't necessarily equal burnout.  I never thought of the happy go lucky thing myself-a lot of bad stuff happens in Sonny's life in S3-The Good Collar, nearly going crazy in Shadow In The Dark, Zito dying, Stone dying, the Theresa problem,  Hackman etc.  If you see optimism in Sonny's demeanor, then I assume he's doing that to keep himself sane.   A big Mann-erism is "Make it go away with work" after all.

Of course Crockett was still motivated in his job in 1&2, but I think the job took its toll on him before you even got to see him, you saw that in the pilot right away, I really like the burnt out cop character, one of the reasons why I like him so much, I think was a big part of his performance, like you said his optimism is shielding his frustrations. 

I just think he acts differently in 3, he is more up beat, in 4 he looks bored, in 5 he can't be bothered. 

Edited by RedDragon86

On 11/21/2018 at 1:22 PM, Bren10 said:

(snipped) MV was based on the zeitgeist of the times and thus the staff felt pressure to remain hip.  1984-85 was different stylistically from 86-87.  Those things are always in flux and I'm sure there was pressure to keep up in their minds.  Now whether that would actually matter to the fans or not is another matter.  What matters is that the powers-that-be felt there needed to be a change, for whatever reason.  Add to that the creative restlessness of Michael Mann/Dick Wolf and things end up changing.  

Agree 100%, especially about the creative restlessness of Michael Mann/ Dick Wolf--they wanted to strike while the iron was hot and get stories out there in front of a built-in audience that were different from what had been done before.  I agree too that it's likely that the fans didn't/wouldn't care about changing the looks or style of the show--but also at the time the MV look was being imitated in shows as far from MV as could be imagined, i.e. Golden Girls (also set in Miami but did not use the city as a major facet of the show).  It's said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but MV wanted to be sure viewers perceived it as the original (my opinion).  MV could set itself apart from the imitators by changing its look.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 4:35 PM, vicegirl85 said:

Agree 100%, especially about the creative restlessness of Michael Mann/ Dick Wolf--they wanted to strike while the iron was hot and get stories out there in front of a built-in audience that were different from what had been done before.  I agree too that it's likely that the fans didn't/wouldn't care about changing the looks or style of the show--but also at the time the MV look was being imitated in shows as far from MV as could be imagined, i.e. Golden Girls (also set in Miami but did not use the city as a major facet of the show).  It's said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but MV wanted to be sure viewers perceived it as the original (my opinion).  MV could set itself apart from the imitators by changing its look.

That's true.

Edited by RedDragon86