The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

No this unit had particular badging that I remembered from over a year ago so that is why I checked my database and you can rest assured it was NOT Arturos car. This guy has used many names in the past such as Frank Deloe frankfddeloe@partygirls.org and now "Martin" from Croatia
martinvd0402@gmail.com

I hate these guys for what they are doing. I'm not stupid enough to send them money but you can rest assured that there is someone out there in the world that would fall for this scam?!?!

Same thing happened to me last year when there was a Ford F-350 Dually just twenty minutes away from me. The price was unbelievable so I called and said I would be there in a half hour and the guy told me the truck was in Wisconsin and needed to be shipped........but...if I send him the 7 grand he would gladly refund the excess of the delivery cost upon arrival......Yeh...right!

I knew right away that 7large was too good for a four year old dually four wheel drive but I called anyway to humour myself.

9 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Did you forget? I assumed that with all your critical comments about the car that you remembered your original post. 

Wow....forgot about that.  In my defense, though, that post is almost a year old !

Has anyone here had any experience with the Robin Hood Spyder that was built on the late '70's-early '80's Jaguar XJ 12-cylinder cars?

I recall one of the big auto magazines doing a compare between the Robin Hood car and the McBurnie.  

21 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Did you forget? I assumed that with all your critical comments about the car that you remembered your original post. 

Good news is we'll have a "Ferrari" dash and other interior components that we can put into this car once removed from the MV car. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, volobrian said:

Good news is we'll have a "Ferrari" dash and other interior components that we can put into this car once removed from the MV car. 

????

7 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

????

We're having the MV car redone to look more show accurate.  We'll have the left over interior that we can put in the Daytona we got from Arturo. 

• Like 1

@volobrian Do you think you could let us know here when the MV Daytona is done and back on display after said redoing? I really have to come see it—not to mention all the other amazing cars you guys have!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:04 AM, Marco Falcone said:

Has anyone here had any experience with the Robin Hood Spyder that was built on the late '70's-early '80's Jaguar XJ 12-cylinder cars?

I recall one of the big auto magazines doing a compare between the Robin Hood car and the McBurnie.  

Arturo has one of those for sale right now in PA. I saw it on the internet last week. He's not asking very much but the car is in primer and needs completion. It is not a pretty car as it has no flares on the wheel wells and this one has no windshield as of yet (from what I saw in the pictures) I suppose the Jag suspension and drivetrain would make it an interesting vehicle but then you have Jag problems such as tuning that old carburation system (you need vaccum tools) unless you upgrade to a newer Jag with fuel injection. I wonder how viable this is as Jags are rare in the wrecking yards for parts but Vettes are a dime a dozen and plentiful.

Edited by Stinger390X

And she’s off.   Thinking of setting up a webpage that timelines the milestones in the cars life from being the 1st Daytona built to being lost in the desert.  All the mishaps, from the donor car being a wrecked car to being lost because of a VIN swap as well as photos and updates of the cars transformation back to its screen used look.

5BDC5A27-9076-4D0E-8386-6536224BE451.MOV

• Like 4

2 hours ago, volobrian said:

And she’s off.   Thinking of setting up a webpage that timelines the milestones in the cars life from being the 1st Daytona built to being lost in the desert.  All the mishaps, from the donor car being a wrecked car to being lost because of a VIN swap as well as photos and updates of the cars transformation back to its screen used look.

5BDC5A27-9076-4D0E-8386-6536224BE451.MOV

That webpage would be fantastic to see. I played your link but only had audio....sending it somewhere in Miami? 

Here is a page I started, just a start with 'my story', how we came about the car and the path that lead to its full unraveling.  I hope to update this and have a full life cycle of the cars history laid out from when it was first being built to the future when its back to "TV condition".  If anybody spots wrong historic info when I tried to put together "the history" please let me know.  I want to try and make it as accurate as possible. 

https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/miami-vice-daytona

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, volobrian said:

Here is a page I started, just a start with 'my story', how we came about the car and the path that lead to its full unraveling.  I hope to update this and have a full life cycle of the cars history laid out from when it was first being built to the future when its back to "TV condition".  If anybody spots wrong historic info when I tried to put together "the history" please let me know.  I want to try and make it as accurate as possible. 

https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/miami-vice-daytona

I'm glad that you are doing the web page on car #1 - you have a good start!  A couple of things:

I think the reason that people thought that car #1 was lost was because Carl Roberts told people that he had torn the car down, planning to build a stunt Testarossa.  However, when he tried, he realized that he could not get the right look using a front engine chassis.  So, he abandoned the idea and found a Pantera and used the Pantera chassis.  He never really said what then happened to Car #1, but when JN and I talked with him, I believe that he did say that Car #1 had gone to Lubbock and that he wanted to get it back.

My car (car #4) also has the 2 holes (filled) on the nose where the Ferrari emblem was originally located.  So, the statement "This repair was unique to the Miami Vice Daytona."  should end with Daytonas (plural).  In season 1 we see your car with the emblem high and my car with the emblem low.  Eventually by season 2, I think both emblems were low.  I don't understand why, if they moved the emblem on one car down, why they did not move the emblem on the other car down at the same time???

According to what Carl Roberts told us, he needed to get your car ready to be shipped for the "Speed Zone" movie, but didn't have the title.  He had a friend in Tennessee (I think) who had a title and a serial number plate for a 1981 which he was able to get and use for your car.

Good luck on the restoration.

1 hour ago, CameraDaytona said:

I'm glad that you are doing the web page on car #1 - you have a good start!  A couple of things:

I think the reason that people thought that car #1 was lost was because Carl Roberts told people that he had torn the car down, planning to build a stunt Testarossa.  However, when he tried, he realized that he could not get the right look using a front engine chassis.  So, he abandoned the idea and found a Pantera and used the Pantera chassis.  He never really said what then happened to Car #1, but when JN and I talked with him, I believe that he did say that Car #1 had gone to Lubbock and that he wanted to get it back.

My car (car #4) also has the 2 holes (filled) on the nose where the Ferrari emblem was originally located.  So, the statement "This repair was unique to the Miami Vice Daytona."  should end with Daytonas (plural).  In season 1 we see your car with the emblem high and my car with the emblem low.  Eventually by season 2, I think both emblems were low.  I don't understand why, if they moved the emblem on one car down, why they did not move the emblem on the other car down at the same time???

According to what Carl Roberts told us, he needed to get your car ready to be shipped for the "Speed Zone" movie, but didn't have the title.  He had a friend in Tennessee (I think) who had a title and a serial number plate for a 1981 which he was able to get and use for your car.

Good luck on the restoration.

Thanks, I changed it to Daytonas.   I will be adding pictures too once I figure out how to do so with our website tools, ever since websites had to become mobile responsive the tools became useless and code has to be written.   This portion was my personal experience with the car, I hope to next accurately write out the cars life.  Did you ever get the whole Lubbock story from Carl?  He never sold the car.  It was basically stolen from him by a series of mishaps and events.  I have a lot of the corresponding letters from that time that I have to re-read and get a refresher on.  But off memory, Carl sent the car to Canada and he was supposed to get it back, but it went to Lubbock for repairs I think?  The shop got into financial troubles and a lien was placed on everything, including the car, and was sold off I think?  Whatever the details are, Carl never got his car returned to him.  When I spoke with him he said the windshield pillar was replaced due to damage and that's why the tag was replaced.  His memory may be a bit off because there are no signs of repair and the pillar still has the factory green paint on it.  Carl says he still have the VIN tag, I am going to try and get it from him to have it reinstalled on the car. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 1:24 PM, volobrian said:

Thanks, I changed it to Daytonas.   I will be adding pictures too once I figure out how to do so with our website tools, ever since websites had to become mobile responsive the tools became useless and code has to be written.   This portion was my personal experience with the car, I hope to next accurately write out the cars life.  Did you ever get the whole Lubbock story from Carl?  He never sold the car.  It was basically stolen from him by a series of mishaps and events.  I have a lot of the corresponding letters from that time that I have to re-read and get a refresher on.  But off memory, Carl sent the car to Canada and he was supposed to get it back, but it went to Lubbock for repairs I think?  The shop got into financial troubles and a lien was placed on everything, including the car, and was sold off I think?  Whatever the details are, Carl never got his car returned to him.  When I spoke with him he said the windshield pillar was replaced due to damage and that's why the tag was replaced.  His memory may be a bit off because there are no signs of repair and the pillar still has the factory green paint on it.  Carl says he still have the VIN tag, I am going to try and get it from him to have it reinstalled on the car. 

well one of the scenes in speed zone did show the car going through the desert in what looked to be texas, maybe that's where they stopped filming and dumped the car?

Been watching this guy recently instead of doug, and well I guess all corvettes have a built in cat magnet much like the daytona in whatever works lol

and that dual exhaust does sound good on it lol an option between 68 and 74' and most ironically with the subject matter corvette just came out with the new ZR1, and well.............. it reminds me of this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJF2J4ioMY

like I finally get used to the Z06 styling, that fixed the front end, and then they go and do this lol and this just after getting stuck behind a new cadliac that looks like its the same car both front and rear too lol like you could swivel around and drive it backwards lol

• 2 months later...

Supposed to be done the end of the month.  Really nothing to show as of yet.  Dash and interior at upholstery shop, wheels are at the chrome platers, Car looks the same, just less complete!

• Thanks 1

Good to see some new interest in this thread. :cool:

I haven't been as active in here as I used to be. Need to reread some of this myself. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Holy smokes, I just saw where this thread in 92 pages long! That's probably a record for the site. Way to go. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I’m loving all the McBunie Daytona info here. I’m absorbing it like a sponge. I’ve saved so many photos for the details of my McBurnie Daytona model build. Great stuff!!!