The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

This link will get you to my article on the Miami Vice Daytonas. I have done extensive research (with the help of the owner of Car 4-the Camera Car) and have interviewed Carl Roberts at length on several occasions. Carl Roberts (in case you didn't know) was the builder of the stunt Testarossa for Miami Vice. In exchange for the stunt car he received both of the Daytona replicas used on the show. Carl planned to sell Daytona and Testarossa replicas, but a lawsuit by Ferrari brought that enterprise to a screeching halt.Carl no longer has custody of either Daytona--but you have to read the article to see what happened to them.Inspite of all the cars you have seen advertised as the "original Ferrari Daytona from Miami Vice", and all the cars sold as one of the real cars, this is the true story.http://www.priceofaddiction.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32

Excellent article! I loved reading it....I would love to have a copy of one of those McBurnie models. I have looked diligently around the U.S and found about a dozen for sale. I also found two Mike Hudson repros, but I do not like the wheel arches at all. I also found some Rowleys around, but in bad shape, and the owners wanted a fortune for them!I have whittled it down to two options that I like and unfortunately they are both red??? Oh well...Get out the sandpaper and spray gun I guess?The two McBurnies I like are a bit pricy as I can buy a brand new kit car for ten or twenty thou less than what the asking price is for these Daytonas I mentioned. I can own a brand new 2009 AC Cobra with a 427 wet block, drive away for less money!I guess the owners are trying to get what they can for them. I found an automatic in Florida but I have no interest in an automatic vehicle. (sports cars are meant to be driven, not for getting groceries)I will bide my time presently and hold out for the exact one I want and for a reasonable price. I'm in no hurry to get one at this time. (I have to sell my other boat first as well)

A Stinger AND a Daytona?????WOW! Your too much!!I want jurrasic narc's car so bad. It's one the finest I have EVER seen!

• 2 months later...

I just re-read your article from your website link.REALLY well done! Did you make additions or modify it? I don't recall it being that good.Some real knowledge is behind that article. I kinda wish I had written it. It's my style...interesting, informative, ...........addictive.-COOP

Yes, the article was updated after the owner of the CameraCar and I met with Carl Roberts last fall. We got some new information, and compared notes on some other issues.Until something new surfaces, this is the last word on the Daytonas. The Car owner and I have talked about a site just about the Daytonas with more pictures and other things.Again, C&B, thanks for the kind words. And I am slowly working to make my Daytona a "daily driver capable" car. Not that I would drive it like that, but I want the car to be "right".

Was your car lowered, or have taller tires? Seems yours looks just like the one in the show, and other replicas seem to have too much of space under the wheel well.Yours looks correct. I LOVE YOUR CAR!

Actually I have the wrong size tires on the car. It should sit about where it does, but the wheel wells should be slightly closer to the tires (once the correct -235/60 VR 15 versus 215/60 R 15).As with any 26 year old car, weatherstrip and rubber items had to be replaced. But currently the car is weatherproof (as any convertible), the engine runs GREAT and the weather is changing in my favor.Just looking for an excuse to drive it down to Miami and cruise Collins or I195!!

Just looking for an excuse to drive it down to Miami and cruise Collins or I195!!

here's an excuse:you have the actual car from miami vice!!!!:):):)THE holy grail of all vice props, imo. that's just too cool :tasse_prost:

DAMN nofretz, I REALLY have a jones for that car!!!I wan't one so bad, I lost sleep the other day.I LOVE THE DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

by the way after seeing florance italy on dvd I see what you ment about the smoked plexiglass giving off the impression of headlight covers, you we're right I was wrong there was no dropdown head lamp covers.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildYou can barely see the headlamps but they are there, and I'm glad she didn't end up like the first general lee, just sitting in the louisiana mud just waiting to die

DAMN nofretz' date=' I REALLY have a jones for that car!!!I wan't one so bad, I lost sleep the other day.I LOVE THE DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']here's a pact, coop:which of us gets one first lets the other borrow it for a week :dance2:kavinsky: i'd never noticed that before.

yeah I made a post about it on the old forums and said it had headlamp covers http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15780and the other day I was, as I said watching florance italy, I looked over at the right headlight in that particular scene and froze it and sure enough.....you know come to think of it, does anyone have any shots of the testarossa pantera based replica as of now?

The Testarossa replica from Miami Vice is MIA. The engine was stripped out, and the car was left in a barn. It was in the barn when Carl Roberts lost the property, and Carl doesn't know where it is.Anybody in the East Tennessee area who has any leads, I would be interested in tracking it down.

damn it does he have the vin of the pantera?If he does it might be possible to track it down since pantera's have gone up in collectibility and value now.by the way do you have any more shots of car 4, the miami vice camera car?

here's a pact' date=' coop:which of us gets one first lets the other borrow it for a week :dance2:[/quote']Deal.I lay odds you get one before me, so let me know when you get one so I can clear my schedule for a week of top down driving. :thumbsup:

damn it does he have the vin of the pantera?If he does it might be possible to track it down since pantera's have gone up in collectibility and value now.by the way do you have any more shots of car 4' date=' the miami vice camera car?[/quote']I'll ask Carl next time I talk to him about the VIN on the Pantera.I have attached a couple more shots of the Camera Car as it exists today.

post-109-13892962902449_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892962902671_thumb.jpg

Sorry for my bad memory' date=' jurassic narc, but which car do you have of the original series?Thanks, S-B[/quote']I have a Daytona which I have tried to make a clone of the Season 2 Daytona. The owner of the Camera Car is a member of this site (Camera Daytona, I think). He has been kind enough to work with me on the history of the Daytonas. I was able to introduce him to Carl Roberts, and we have spent a number of hours talking about "the Cars". The pictures I posted above are of his car. This car is not on display.The other car no longer exists, as Carl dis-assembled it several years ago. And since there were only two cars used on the show, the Camera Car is the only survivor. (The folks at Volo have nothing to support their claim that the car was used on MV, as the VIN has been examined and is not consistent with the show cars.)My car was built by Carl Roberts, and the mold was pulled off of Car 1 (like having the same DNA). I have spent many hours and dollars to bring it to it's current condition, but it is the closest thing to the real car around. And I can drive it whenever I want to!!!