The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

thanks' date=' by the way can you ask Carl about how he accomplished the smoked plexiglass effect on the daytona?[/quote']I did it by buying smoked tinted plexiglass and cutting it to fit on the nose of the Daytona. Carl's cars have a nice piece of trim that helps hide the cut if you are not perfect. This is the car with the tinted covers (see below). Had to add HID lights to be able to drive this at night, though. (Notice in Phil the Shill how dim the lights are in the big climax sequence.)

post-109-13892962902862_thumb.jpg

Just curious jurassic narc are you going to fit a skid plate, vintage 1980's turbocharger and put the gas tank behind the driver seat now that you've got everything else covered on your replica?

Just curious jurassic narc are you going to fit a skid plate' date=' vintage 1980's turbocharger and put the gas tank behind the driver seat now that you've got everything else covered on your replica?[/quote']Out of curiosity, what are you basing that questions on? None of the cars had skid plates, turbo chargers (when used on the show) and the gas tanks were under the trunk deck. Car 4 was built with a turbo, but both cars had crate engines when used on the show. But there is so much mis-information floating around.......

well I figured they must have put a skid plate on it after all that crossway and walkway jumping in the first season, specifically calderone's return part 1 and nobody lives foreverand corvettes are notoriously nose heavy, something like 53% or 54% of the cars weight is over the front wheels and putting the gas tank closer to the middle would help balance out the center of gravity.they balanced the weight of most of the gt italain cars by putting the gearbox over the rear wheels to equalize the weight, I know they did this on most of the gt ferraris of the 1960's and on this lanciahttp://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=1060963

According to several sources, the car were abused a lot during the filming, but no skid plate was added. As far as the weight, you may be surprised that the Daytona is about 400 pounds lighter than the original host Vette!The gas tank on the MV cars and the McBurnie cars that came later were under the trunk deck, but the cars built by Carl Roberts actually did move the gas tank to behind the drivers seat. My car was like that when I got it. I moved the gas tank under the trunk. The weight distribution might have been better, but having worked several burn deaths--I didn't like having gas sloshing around right behind me.As to your point about all the weight being in front, take a look at the chase near the end of BUDDIES. That is exactly why the Daytona does a 180 and ends up sliding backwards to the curb.You make some good points and ask great questions!! Thanks JN

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Guys - I'm a little late getting into this discussion. I just noticed the postings. As Jurrasicnarc says, I do own car number 4 (the "Camera Car" and the one Jurrasicnarc posted pictures of) and have since 1988, about a year after Carl Roberts first sold it (after he got it from Universal Studios).As Jurrasicnarc states, the car is basically like it was when used in filming the series. After Carl got it from Universal he added new seat covers and door panels (just like the originals) since the original ones were pretty well worn from use during the filming. And the first owner after Carl added a different radio. The rest is as it was on the show.

• Like 1

Sorry Guys - I'm a little late getting into this discussion. I just noticed the postings. As Jurrasicnarc says' date=' I do own car number 4 (the "Camera Car" and the one Jurrasicnarc posted pictures of) and have since 1988, about a year after Carl Roberts first sold it (after he got it from Universal Studios).As Jurrasicnarc states, the car is basically like it was when used in filming the series. After Carl got it from Universal he added new seat covers and door panels (just like the originals) since the original ones were pretty well worn from use during the filming. And the first owner after Carl added a different radio. The rest is as it was on the show.[/quote']For all you Daytona fans, THIS IS THE GUY!! Cooper&Burnett, this is the car you should really lust after. He owns the car my car wants to be when it grows up.CameraDaytona owns McBurnie/Mardikian Car #4, which was leased by Universal for the Miami Vice pilot. It was probably originally intended to be the stunt car for the real Ferrari Daytona they had planned to use. But when that car was no longer available Car 4 became the "stand-in who became a star". Car #4 is the original Miami Vice car, and the only one still in existence almost exactly like it was on the show. CameraDaytona has a box of information about the car the size of a travel case, and has documents to back up his cars journey from Mardikian to Miami Vice to Carl Roberts and then ultimaltely to his hands. To be roughly 27 years old (since the body change over) the car is in extraordinary condition. A piece of history preserved.I have attached a picture of the car being inspected by the owner (I have intentionally protected his identity) and I.

post-109-13892962933955_thumb.jpg

Hey, there are two Mcburnie daytonas on ebay right now. One is off the charts hot! Buy it now price is $31,000. Looks incredible.

Hey' date=' there are two Mcburnie daytonas on ebay right now. One is off the charts hot! Buy it now price is $31,000. Looks incredible.[/quote']THis is the one you are talking about. And you are right, it looks like it would be worth the money. A little work and you would have a great car to own and drive.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIAMI-VICE-DAYTONA-SPYDER-McBURNIE-365-GTB-LT1-CORVETTE_W0QQitemZ120412877240QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1c092ab1b8&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318This car, on the other hand, is very questionable. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERR-RI-DAYTONA-365-GTS-SPIDER-TRUE-TOM-MCBURNIE_W0QQitemZ170327280069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item27a84c09c5&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308And earlier today there was a red car on Ebay that looked ragged out (as we say in Georgia). Cars like that give the replicas a bad name.

there appears to be more than one (at least 3?) daytonas in those pics on that second link. what's up with that? maybe this is addressed in that LOOOONNNNGGG description that i'm too lazy to read.

there appears to be more than one (at least 3?) daytonas in those pics on that second link. what's up with that? maybe this is addressed in that LOOOONNNNGGG description that i'm too lazy to read.

You and I think too much alike Dadrian! I was thinking the saaaaamme thing! :)

well I'll be damn the owner of the actuall car is here, CameraDaytona and I have been working on a photo section for the cars, guns and boats of miami vice in the glossary.http://www.miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2139http://www.miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2138do you think you could send me some full sized photos of the car as it is today for the car section via my email adress?

http://www.miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2139http://www.miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2138do you think you could send me some full sized photos of the car as it is today for the car section via my email adress?

Some of the pictures in the article referenced at the beginning of this thread are of his car, THE car.

I know I was just hoping for a few more full sized shots of it that I could watermark and add to the glosary, the ones posted on the forums are too small to use.

I know I was just hoping for a few more full sized shots of it that I could watermark and add to the glosary' date=' the ones posted on the forums are too small to use.[/quote']Okay, I understand. I have several of those, but I would rather he give them to you, or at least give the okay on that. CameraDaytona has been really good about sharing his information with me, and had been supportive of the information that I have been able to put together about the Daytonas!JN

That is what I was asking him, I wouldn't just take the shots of the forums and on your page about the daytona without permision.

That is what I was asking him' date=' I wouldn't just take the shots of the forums and on your page about the daytona without permision.[/quote']Right. He checks in periodically, and if he doesn't check in soon I'll give him a call and see if he has a problem. He is very gracious, but also protective of his privacy.Thanks for the work you are doing on the Glossary! That thing is getting better every day.

Question for CameraDaytonaHi - Thanks so much for sharing your picture of the car and all the background info (that goes for you too, JN!). I have what I'm sure is a dumb question - do you actually drive the car? I would be completely terrified something would happen to it...

I just sent Jurrasic Narc a note telling him it was OK to give you some pictures for the Glossary. He probably has better pictures than I do. I have a photographer/journalist who wants to do an article on the car, but I have a carburetor leak that needs to be fixed before I can get the car out for pictures. I hope I can get some really good pictures when he takes the photos for the article.

Answer to Murphy's Law's questionI really haven't driven the car much lately. As I mentioned above, it sat for awhile and the carburetor started leaking. I rebuilt it (Holley carb) but it is still leaking and I haven't gotten back to it yet. I guess my carburetor rebuilding skills are not too good.