The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Well atleast we won't have to wait long for the owner to put it up for sale, sounds like he's made alot of enemies down there and I just think he's probably going to go senile:http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/investing/sfl-ccircus12aug12,0,7678375.storykinda old but it makes my pointMaybe someone could pitch to him the idea of puting both cars together like in this shot to sell in the flea market, I'd buy itEingefügtes Bild

• 3 months later...
awesome' date=' so my visit to the flea market is still on for my next trip to south florida :dance:[/quote']Well, if the Testarossa is still there, I will confirm it for everyone next week. I will make a stop there, and will find out if the owner's sign claims that it is one of the Testarossas used in MV. I'll post my findings here, after my stop at the Swap Shop.
Ferrari Libre!
For sure! If the keys some how accidentally dropped into my hand, I would not be able to withstand the temptation to wheel it right out of there. After all, the interstate is only a mile away, and I could be in Central Florida one hour later.

• 2 weeks later...
Ferrari Testarossa, as seen at the Swap Shop, in Fort Lauderdale, FL on Sunday, September 20, 2009.I took these photos while at the Swap Shop yesterday, on my way back from a weekend in Miami. The Testarossa is now more difficult to photograph, as there is more junk piled in and around the Testarossa. It now has a Michael Schumacher / Ferrari banner sitting on the right rear fender, which is out of place, in addition to the other signs and stickers (including a helmeted dummy sitting in the driver seat with a MV DVD case on the dashboard). Basically, you have to block all this junk out of your field of vision to enjoy the lines of the car itself. Not an easy task. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildI will post the other photos of other vehicles at the Swap Shop in a separate thread. Seen here:http://www.miami-vice.ws/showthread.php?t=2219

Tell them to show some respect for this car on behalf of .WS!

Right on.But the whole place looks like this - useless junk piled up everywhere haphazardly. The only exception would be the car display at the far end of the building' date=' which looks good. Those photos are here:http://www.miami-vice.ws/showthread.php?t=2219

Some trivia on the Daytona:The Daytona name commemorates Ferrari's triple success in the February 1967 24 Hours of Daytona with the 330P4. While it was initially used as a pre-production internal denomination, Ferrari still insists that this was never the model's official name and should not be applied to it.I also just learned that the Daytona initially had with clear plexiglass headlight covers like the replica Corvette we see on MV, until safety regulations forced them to change to the pop-up headlights.

actually they put the pop ups on to bypass the ride height letigation of that time.the daytona was actually the last offical ferrari to be sold in america till 1984, when the testarossa and 308 were cleared by the goverment to be sold here.

• 1 month later...

cool sign, coop.i watched brother's keeper yesterday and noticed the real daytona for the first time. it may have been discussed before, but i certainly missed it.if you slo-mo right when leon walks out of the place where he gets his barBQ, you'll see the daytona in the pan. notice the wheels: smaller than replica (at least the tires look skinnier, to me)the mirrors: correctthe angle of the glass: correctthe door latches: correctthe head rests: correctthe front end and back end: correctthe whole freakin car: correct and authentic.can't believe i never noticed this!i bet that one wasn't an automatic ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Actually I have the wrong size tires on the car. It should sit about where it does' date=' but the wheel wells should be slightly closer to the tires (once the correct -235/60 VR 15 versus 215/60 R 15).As with any 26 year old car, weatherstrip and rubber items had to be replaced. But currently the car is weatherproof (as any convertible), the engine runs GREAT and the weather is changing in my favor.Just looking for an excuse to drive it down to Miami and cruise Collins or I195!![/quote']JN, mine came with 215/60 R15 on the front and whopping 255/60 R15 on the back. As this was a one person owner they claim this came from McBurnie. Any ideas on the tire sizing?

JN' date=' mine came with 215/60 R15 on the front and whopping 255/60 R15 on the back. As this was a one person owner they claim this came from McBurnie. Any ideas on the tire sizing?[/quote']McBurnie has been quoted as saying both show cars were outfitted with Michelin XWX VR 195-70 tires. The car had Pirelli P6 235/60 R 15s when the show was over.

McBurnie has been quoted as saying both show cars were outfitted with Michelin XWX VR 195-70 tires. The car had Pirelli P6 235/60 R 15s when the show was over.

JN, so are you saying that the show cars had 195s? That seems awfully small trying to visualize them in the wheel wells. I would have thought at least p215s, which are on mine now. I definitely need to replace the back 255s with something smaller. Re the above, not sure how 235s would look on the Daytona. What size is on yours again and do you have differences in the front vs the back tires as I do?Thnx

JN' date=' so are you saying that the show cars had 195s? That seems awfully small trying to visualize them in the wheel wells. I would have thought at least p215s, which are on mine now. I definitely need to replace the back 255s with something smaller. Re the above, not sure how 235s would look on the Daytona. What size is on yours again and do you have differences in the front vs the back tires as I do?Thnx[/quote']The show car has 235s. My car has 215s and they seem a bit small. 225/70s were recommended for that year model Vette (according to something I read). I am thinking about going to 225s when I change out my tires. I would like to go with Pirelli.I am going to PM CameraDaytona and see if he has any comment, as he owns the real car and is well versed in the Corvette arena.

The show car has 235s. My car has 215s and they seem a bit small. 225/70s were recommended for that year model Vette (according to something I read). I am thinking about going to 225s when I change out my tires. I would like to go with Pirelli.I am going to PM CameraDaytona and see if he has any comment' date=' as he owns the real car and is well versed in the Corvette arena.[/quote']Thanks, JN. I am going to have the mechanicals checked on my Daytona asap as I know of a few issues. Then I'll have it detailed and talk to some local restorers as the leather seats, door panels, and center console are all original 1988 when the car was made and need replacement. I'll probably use that opportunity to try and duplicate the interior of the show car as closely as I can. The body and paint are in very good condition as this car only had 29000 miles and was garage kept in California. A one owner Daytona and I have all the original McBurnie paperwork that went along with the transaction. I am really excited to have finally found one in this condition. I have uploaded more pics in my public photo album if you wnat to have a look.

Thanks' date=' JN. I am going to have the mechanicals checked on my Daytona asap as I know of a few issues. Then I'll have it detailed and talk to some local restorers as the leather seats, door panels, and center console are all original 1988 when the car was made and need replacement. I'll probably use that opportunity to try and duplicate the interior of the show car as closely as I can. The body and paint are in very good condition as this car only had 29000 miles and was garage kept in California. A one owner Daytona and I have all the original McBurnie paperwork that went along with the transaction. I am really excited to have finally found one in this condition. I have uploaded more pics in my public photo album if you wnat to have a look.[/quote']Good looking car, and will make a great starting point for an MV clone. Mechanicals will be fairly easy to fix if any problems exist, since they are basic small block Chevy. Congratulations!

If only somebody made a Kit Car today. I'm happy for you guys that have one.:cheers:

There is one in NJ. Got sixty grand hanging around?

Sonny any photos of it? the link you provided doesnt work for me.

It doesn't work for me either. :cry: