The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Well glad to hear its still coming along despite the setbacksNot sure about an entire dash assembly thought but it seems like Year One and corvette america stock alot of corvette parts, including a bunch of dash stuff so you might be able to get a new one piece by piece from both of them http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=Qhttp://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/interiors.cfmother than that all I could do is state is the obvious. ask around the junkyards for it or look around for a wreck of a car for sale via the internet with a good dash or look around for it at a corvette swap meet

Thanks for the links - I'll ck them out this weekend and make some more calls to yards tomorrow. Running out of time to get started before winter.

• 3 weeks later...

After many weeks of searching by me and the Vette shop that has been repairing the mechanicals on my Daytona, it appears I have found the dash assembly from a 78-82 Vette so am working to acquire it. This is the first step in starting the interior restoration on the Daytona so that I can get the leather custom work on it to match the leather needed to match and re-upholster the seats and seat backs. Thanks again to Jurassic for all his ongoing help in getting detail pics to use as a model and for help in identifying the particulars of the components I need to duplicate the show car. Mechanical repairs are continuing this week and include replacing the A/C compressor, straightening one wheel, addressing a small leak in the rebuilt differential assembly, fixing a recurring front end wheel squeak (not sure what it is), and checking the engine for causes of start up oil smoke and some oil burn---maybe valve seals. Have to admit I am considering a replacement crate engine that could at least double the horsepower I have from the V8 small block engine. Need to first see what the interior restoration is going to cost and I think this will be very significant $s. Getting cool here in the Midwest so actually drove with the top up this week for the first time.

Crate motor? whats the size of the one your looking at?

Haven't yet chased the details on these but the Vette shop tells me they would start at around 400 HP. Maybe too much given how light and fast the car is already with an aging 350 block engine. I think I read in the McBurnie paperwork for my car that the engine has a 9 to 1 ratio.

Yeah that's probably abit too much, hell I think that's puting out more hp than the old 454 ci engine option from the first 4 years of the C3 production.and just taking the reduced weight of the fiberglass body into the equation you'd probably spend a ton of money just getting the car set up so it can handle that power without loosing it when you put your foot in it.mind you it would be a warp capabile corvette when its finished that would probably give the modern ones a hell of a run for their money (althought it probably does that right now too with 200 hp+ and a curb weight of 2900 pounds vs 3300 with 400) but if you do, do that it would probably require a suspension swap like this to be a 100% safe http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4shark.htmlor a hell of alot of upgrades to the current set up that hotchis suspension is currently getting known for, although you'd have to ask them to make a kit for yours thought since they dont have any for the C3 as of now althought they have plenty of parts for the other chevys of that era:http://www.hotchkis.net/and just an example of the work they've done on jay leno's 66 galaxy thats a replica of the one his dad had before he wrecked it back in 69'http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segment/restoration-blog/restoration-blog-1966-ford-galaxie-update-5/http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segment/restoration-blog/restoration-blog-1966-ford-galaxie-update-6/and the result:http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/columnists/256312/jay_leno_august_2010.htmlbut taking the simple and logical route I think for the sake of the weight balance, power and handling a crate 327 with 3:15 gears would be the best set up for it similar to this:http://www.customcrateengines.com/engines/chevy-engines/222  or this with a 350:http://www.customcrateengines.com/engines/chevy-engines/227the last option would be just to rebuild the current engine but judging by how much work you put into the car already and how abused it was when you got it, it might not be worth it.

Sorry Sonny-Burnett I'm being downright silly and I'm overthinking it here, your corvette should be able to handle that kind of powerits just that typically with a design of that era (mid 1960's to late 1970's) the small block cars were the ones to have because the big blocks engine weight would usually make the cars dangerously over and understeer steer under heavy cornering and with that power and weight mixed with those brakes even some of the small blocks had trouble stopping in a straight line from 50 - 70 MPH:

but those were discs in the front drums in the rear sedans and the corvette had all around discs back then from the get go (I think)so it should be fine with that kind of power as long as its a small block. but even then I dont think the 454 ci powered vettes ever had the reputation the 427 cobra's had for being a window maker.althought I would put in a stronger anti roll bar over the front and rear suspensions and a panar/race bar also over the rear just to be a 100% safe if you cant find anything with less hp around you, maybe you could get him to detune it?

but those were discs in the front drums in the rear sedans and the corvette had all around discs back then from the get go (I think)so it should be fine with that kind of power as long as its a small block. but even then I dont think the 454 ci powered vettes ever had the reputation the 427 cobra's had for being a window maker.althought I would put in a stronger anti roll bar over the front and rear suspensions and a panar/race bar also over the rear just to be a 100% safe if you cant find anything with less hp around you, maybe you could get him to detune it?
One of the things to consider in any homage to the Vice Daytona is that the original show cars were 350 crate engines with standard 4 barrell carbs. Both cars were built by McBurnie with turbo chargers, but (and this is a guess by CameraDaytona and I) the crates were easier for daily use and maintenance. I would point out also, that the smokey exhaust on startup that was mentioned earlier in the thread is common with that vintage, and very noticable in several episodes of the series. The CameraCar had cruise control, but that was tied off and is unused as the car was displayed on the show (which may have also been the result of the engine change by the production company).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions Kavinsky and clearly you are car-knowledgeable. Right now I am thinking I will stay with the small block I have for a while as I do like the sound through the modified exhaust and existing headers and it does have plenty of power even though I think it is around only 200HP but with high torque on the drive axles. In any case a new engine is a huge investment (guessing around $4-$5K) and I still have the interior restoration to do over this winter. This could easily be double that.

One of the things to consider in any homage to the Vice Daytona is that the original show cars were 350 crate engines with standard 4 barrell carbs. Both cars were built by McBurnie with turbo chargers' date=' but (and this is a guess by CameraDaytona and I) the crates were easier for daily use and maintenance. I would point out also, that the smokey exhaust on startup that was mentioned earlier in the thread is common with that vintage, and very noticable in several episodes of the series. The CameraCar had cruise control, but that was tied off and is unused as the car was displayed on the show (which may have also been the result of the engine change by the production company).[/quote'] I didn't realize the show cars had turbos. Mine does not---how about yours JN? I noticed the smoke in one episode but didn't realize it was that common. With the cars used in the show I would think the engines were much newer and would not smoke much. My Vette mechanic says it is the result of a "tired engine" in my case and is likely worn valve seals. He is looking at it to give me his recommendations as I also get some oil burn and rough running likely both related to the leaking valve seals. Did you do anything with your engine and how's the smoke? Thnx, S-B

Arent' there products to reduce engine smoke?

Maybe but with the oil burning and rough idle it seems that the valves are causing all of the above. So if is not too over-the-top to repair I may do a valve job over the winter. My goal is to have the car interior restoration complete by next spring such that it is as close to the show cars in appearance as possible, except of course with an upgraded sound system.

I didn't realize the show cars had turbos. Mine does not---how about yours JN? I noticed the smoke in one episode but didn't realize it was that common. With the cars used in the show I would think the engines were much newer and would not smoke much. My Vette mechanic says it is the result of a "tired engine" in my case and is likely worn valve seals. He is looking at it to give me his recommendations as I also get some oil burn and rough running likely both related to the leaking valve seals. Did you do anything with your engine and how's the smoke? Thnx' date=' S-B[/quote'] It smokes on startup after being parked for a few days. Other than that, it is pretty clean. I have replaced about everything there is on the outside of the engine. It was a crate, and I have had the 350 transmission rebuilt as well. Now that all the leaks are fixed, I try to just drive it and enjoy. But I have had the car over 5 years, so it took a while to get to that point!

With the turbo I think it might have been a S1 thing they were experimenting with it, since it seemed like the engine note (when they didnt dub over it with the ferrari noises) in S2 sounded naturally asperated the only point where I really noticed anything out of the ordinary in S1 was this scene in evan where the car spits out a turbo flame for a sparce few seconds (watch the left tailpipe) at 0:02 and the engine sounded abit more high reving than normally does, plus the engine smoke at the endhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXZD-2eAy4

You misunderstood. The cars didn't have the turbos by the time they were used on the show (not absolutely sure about the pilot). Both engines were crates for regular filming. No record if the change was by the MV crew or was done prior to them being offered for sale in California. But, at least according to what I have been able to find out, the cars weren't maintained that well. And of course, the sound was dubbed a lot so it is hard to tell what is real and what is effects.Makes you wonder what they were like mechanically when the show dropped them.

I have been doing a lot of travel this summer and have not been following this thread but am getting caught up now. My car (camera car - 1981 chassis) only has about 19,000 miles on it - which I assume are from new, or maybe from when the interior was put in with the new gauge faces, etc. When McBurnie built the car, he said it had the turbo on it. So, I assume the engine was changed sometime during the filming of the show. (We should ask Carl Roberts when the engine was changed.) So, the current engine is a 350 ci crate engine and has fewer than the 19,000 miles. It has a Holley carb which has started to leak - probably from lack of use. The guy who bought the car from Carl Roberts had a fair amount of work done to the car mechanics. I have a stack of receipts.Sonny-Burnett - I don't know much about how the web site works, but I think you can send me a private messge. If you want more pics of the interior of my car (camera car), send me a message and what you need.

Well here's my first attempt to upload some photos of the Daytona I recently purchased. Hope this works.

Wow..That's great! Man....one day I would sure love to have one.

I have been doing a lot of travel this summer and have not been following this thread but am getting caught up now. My car (camera car - 1981 chassis) only has about 19' date='000 miles on it - which I assume are from new, or maybe from when the interior was put in with the new gauge faces, etc. When McBurnie built the car, he said it had the turbo on it. So, I assume the engine was changed sometime during the filming of the show. (We should ask Carl Roberts when the engine was changed.) So, the current engine is a 350 ci crate engine and has fewer than the 19,000 miles. It has a Holley carb which has started to leak - probably from lack of use. The guy who bought the car from Carl Roberts had a fair amount of work done to the car mechanics. I have a stack of receipts.Sonny-Burnett - I don't know much about how the web site works, but I think you can send me a private messge. If you want more pics of the interior of my car (camera car), send me a message and what you need.[/quote'] Thanks CameraDaytona --I'll PM you. My chassis is also an '81 Vette. Interesting that the McBurnie paperwork for my car indicates a Holley 4 barrel carb was also installed in mine, yet it is not there today. There were some other upgrades originally installed that are not there today but the upgraded racing suspension is still in place.

Wow..That's great! Man....one day I would sure love to have one.

It is a very cool car. It is fast and the engine sounds mean. But it is also a money pit. Spent about $8K on mechanicals so far and not done yet. Next comes the restoration of the interior and expect that to be much more. :thumbsup:

Well that's true about alot of things in life, but once its all done and set in stone just the way you like it, it will have been worth it in the long run and it'll probably require only minor maintenance from then on out once its done. As long as you use it regularly and take care of it which judging by everything that required work on it the last owner didnt.and its a hell of alot cooler than almost all of the exotics I've come across here on the roads here in of MA, Ferrari f430 spyder, 308, 599, Lamborghini gallardo and a white spyder version of it, black maserati quattropole, Jaguar E type S1 convertible (the one exception) and I'm not counting the ralph lauren collection of cars that came through here in 05, because I didnt really care for any of them and that includes this 250 gto!Eingefügtes Bild

It is definitely true that the prior owner neglected the car. I was told that it sat in a garage for several years and that resulted in dried out seals as well as sludge in the cooling system. It also had been driven very hard as evidenced by broken trans and motor mounts as well as bent wheels. But it is definitely much improved over when I first acquired it in late May. Its been in the shop for the last 17 days or so as the differential had to be removed and returned for rework to a shop in Indiana and hopefully will get the new AC compressor installed, brake squeaks resolved and fix a nagging and recurring right side wheel squeak that we can't as yet locate. Also they are evaluating the engine for oil burn, smoke at start-up and rough idling. Expect back by Saturday to drive next week. We're having an office Halloween party next Friday and plan to arrive as Crockett complete with Daytona, white blazer, Wayfarers (5022 tortoise), jackass shoulder holster (minus the Bren 10) and canvas shoes with no socks. But I've heard it will be in the 40's next week so a little chilly. You're right Kavinsky about getting it where I want it as I am a perfectionist with cars and this will be no exception. I will probably overspend to get the Daytona as close to the original as possible and then enjoy it for some time. Hopefully will never tire of it. I have some people asking me why I would put so much money into such an old car. I can't explain it to them because they don't appreciate Vice the way I do.

I have some people asking me why I would put so much money into such an old car. I can't explain it to them because they don't appreciate Vice the way I do.

It's a labor of love. :happy::thumbsup::clap:Just curious, being you said it has problems, didn't you have the car evaluated before you bought it?I want one of these cars. I'm hoping that Jurrasic Narc wills, or sells his it to me someday if his family doesn't want it. (remember me JN)

It's a labor of love. :happy::thumbsup::clap:Just curious' date=' being you said it has problems, didn't you have the car evaluated before you bought it?I want one of these cars. I'm hoping that Jurrasic Narc wills, or sells his it to me someday if his family doesn't want it. (remember me JN)[/quote'] Yep, a true labor of love and as I've said before, this car is a real head-turner. I even had an 85 or 86 Testarossa driver nearly break his neck watching the Daytona drive by. (they probably think it is the $1M real Ferrari version)I did have the car inspected before I bought and they found the leaking differential, the most expensive repair I've made to date, but the seller had other interested buyers so wouldn't move much. I had been watching these on various sites for the last 2 years and had a pretty good idea of the price range I should be paying. I went a little on the high end of the range because the condition of the body was in unusually good shape and because this was a one owner car with original McBurnie paperwork that came with the deal. (I need to post this somewhere on this site for you all to see). I was also acutely aware that any car this old would need some mechanical attention so most of the repairs have not been that big of a surprise. I am just impatient to get the work done and the shop I am using is not very fast nor do they give the Daytona their highest priority. But they are honest so I stay with them. Here in the Midwest it is getting colder so not much time left to drive before winter. Will do interior work over the Winter.

Um two things I'm not sure if it would be wise to wear the holster with your outfit to the halloween party, might give off the wrong idea to your co workers if they get a good look at it. and take pictures