The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Are you saying that the Seller of the Daytona that's coming up on BJ auction is somehow related to Martino, or is JN's former car? I'd be surprised if he had two of these now, and that more likely it is another pretender.

No, I was being sarcastic in a humorous way

1 hour ago, Scarab KV said:

No, I was being sarcastic in a humorous way

Ahh, was looking for an angle there. lol  :p

Well I for one would  like to know more about both the Car and the Seller for the upcoming Auction of another claimed Show Car Daytona.

17 hours ago, volobrian said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

These are the same guys who initially touted the Bandit Promo car as being used in the movies.

It is a sad trend in our industry. People are taking borderline cars twisting information and making them something they are not. I called them to get the vin to do a title check. Eventually I got it and after contacting Barrett-Jackson and pulling some strings. When the vin noted it as a 77, I called my guy at Barrett and told him that they only used modified 76's in the movie. His response was "I know, I know, I know, we know now and we will amend the docket."

Remember this industry is 100% buyer beware. there is little to no recourse if you buy a car that the seller says has been to the moon. If he says it and you buy it, your stuck. many times you hear guys who say, well that is what I was told when I bought it.

I am waiting on the experts to chime in, and when you do, contact Barrett-Jackson, not the restorer. The restorer is not the owner and not the auction house. Though I believe they have culpability and shouldn't publicize vehicles they have not done their own research. In the end hey only state what the owners tell them the cars are and play along because it brings in sales. They never investigate provenance.

I suggest the experts who have the info to debunk this car register with Barrett-Jackson, ask for the provenance and then call and e-mail your data debunking the car.

Calling saying it doesn't look like the car won't work, you need tangible proof, Vin numbers and documentation.

Remember, cars go through changes, color, panels, wheels, engines, transmissions... If the Chassis VIN matches, then it's "The Car" regardless of what color it is, what engine is in it or what wheels it has.

8 hours ago, king77 said:

These are the same guys who initially touted the Bandit Promo car as being used in the movies.

It is a sad trend in our industry. People are taking borderline cars twisting information and making them something they are not. I called them to get the vin to do a title check. Eventually I got it and after contacting Barrett-Jackson and pulling some strings. When the vin noted it as a 77, I called my guy at Barrett and told him that they only used modified 76's in the movie. His response was "I know, I know, I know, we know now and we will amend the docket."

Remember this industry is 100% buyer beware. there is little to no recourse if you buy a car that the seller says has been to the moon. If he says it and you buy it, your stuck. many times you hear guys who say, well that is what I was told when I bought it.

I am waiting on the experts to chime in, and when you do, contact Barrett-Jackson, not the restorer. The restorer is not the owner and not the auction house. Though I believe they have culpability and shouldn't publicize vehicles they have not done their own research. In the end hey only state what the owners tell them the cars are and play along because it brings in sales. They never investigate provenance.

I suggest the experts who have the info to debunk this car register with Barrett-Jackson, ask for the provenance and then call and e-mail your data debunking the car.

Calling saying it doesn't look like the car won't work, you need tangible proof, Vin numbers and documentation.

Remember, cars go through changes, color, panels, wheels, engines, transmissions... If the Chassis VIN matches, then it's "The Car" regardless of what color it is, what engine is in it or what wheels it has.

One word Arthurto......

Exhaust is on the wrong angle and the wheels are atrocious!

Just my two cents.

Those wheels gotta go! They make the car look cheap?

Edited by Stinger390X

• 3 weeks later...

Stinger390x......the wheels look like the ones in Michael Talbott's auction ad..... right?

Edited by Tony D.

I have to give credit where it is due.  Genauto, who is representing the car did call me to get history of the Miami Vice Daytona's.  They were under the impression it was screen used, I corrected them.  I see the car is not being represented as screen used but rather "one like the one used in the TV show".  So they did take the effort to learn about what they were representing.  There is still some incorrect info in the promo video but nothing that I see as major that would affect the value of the car.  I think it will still bring a higher price than it is worth, but that just has to do with hype and not because someone is thinking they are getting the real deal. 

• Like 2

"...and the builder of the Miami Vice cars, Carl Roberts." Um, not. Well at least they are not claiming the car was Series driven. But the gimmicky nature of apparently having the car titled to MT still makes for less than straight shooting. But it is a FAR cry better than the complete misrepresentation made by the other guy with the boat and JNs car in Miami.

volobrian- did Genauto or their marketing rep indicate the source for their car, and who made the misrepresentation to them about it being "screen used"? I believe we have seen this car before.

3 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

"...and the builder of the Miami Vice cars, Carl Roberts." Um, not. Well at least they are not claiming the car was Series driven. But the gimmicky nature of apparently having the car titled to MT still makes for less than straight shooting. But it is a FAR cry better than the complete misrepresentation made by the other guy with the boat and JNs car in Miami.

volobrian- did Genauto or their marketing rep indicate the source for their car, and who made the misrepresentation to them about it being "screen used"? I believe we have seen this car before.

No, they didn't mention who the owner was. 

In the vid theres written on the left side down: Michael Tablott :D  Car owner / Actor

@SB, i think, i saw this car, with this to low mounted frontbumpers in the past too. Maybe Kavinsky has photos of this car in his Daytona-galery.

Edited by Pritt

Has this already been addressed somewhere on this forum?:

I don't recall this scene, and I think I would. Help me out. 

6 hours ago, nofretz said:

Has this already been addressed somewhere on this forum?:

I don't recall this scene, and I think I would. Help me out. 

Has been discussed some, yes, here. http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7365-michael-talbott/&page=3#comment-198665

Speculation is that MT may have been the passenger in the stock footage shots seen in Calderone's Return. (Hit List) when the car is traveling at night at high speed over large bumps.

That is the scene where Tubbs and Gina are racing to the safe-house in the Daytona but the actual footage is of Crockett coming to his own rescue. lol

Okay thanks. I couldn't get any images of MT in the Daytona to pull up in my mind. I did think of the Calderone scene (BIG bump) but, like you said I was thinking Gina. I'll check it out :)

Yeah I thought it was Gina too, at the 0:25 mark

could be him though, I guess we'd have to wait for the high def version to see if it was lol, 80 MPH though, jesus christ lol

and its abit weird, the thing looks like an almagamation of Arutherto's cars

Like I have a photo of one of his cars with that steering wheel and dash, and center console, but the door panels, seats and shifter have been changed, and those wheels, well it looks like someone put them on backwards, wide in the front, thin in the rear. I mean that is a way to deal with oversteer but still, and those piniafarina badges that look like their off of a detomaso pantera, as they never did that on that era of car, it was always just the silver plaque

• 2 weeks later...

As I now read the listing for the Daytona at the Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach auction (lot #180), it appears to correctly represent the car as a "replica" of the Daytonas used in filming the Miami Vice series - not one of the actual cars.  I don't know what "videos and movies" it has been in.  But, to be sure, I sent an email to a contact at Barrett-Jackson giving him the basic details of the two original cars and explaining who owns the originals and that both are verified by several documents from Universal Studios giving the original serial numbers of both cars.  Hopefully, whoever buys the car will realize what he is buying!

10 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

As I now read the listing for the Daytona at the Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach auction (lot #180), it appears to correctly represent the car as a "replica" of the Daytonas used in filming the Miami Vice series - not one of the actual cars.  I don't know what "videos and movies" it has been in.  But, to be sure, I sent an email to a contact at Barrett-Jackson giving him the basic details of the two original cars and explaining who owns the originals and that both are verified by several documents from Universal Studios giving the original serial numbers of both cars.  Hopefully, whoever buys the car will realize what he is buying!

Nice. I also hope Barrett-Jackson decides to make your info known to potential bidders. I assume you did not give them VIN numbers, as that would likely then get out in the public domain and who knows what some may do with that.

14 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

I sent an email to a contact at Barrett-Jackson giving him the basic details of the two original cars

Who owns the second original car ?

Edited by Crockettt