The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

6 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Nice. I also hope Barrett-Jackson decides to make your info known to potential bidders. I assume you did not give them VIN numbers, as that would likely then get out in the public domain and who knows what some may do with that.

Neither I or JN have given out the VIN numbers publicly - for the reason you mention.  I have given VoloBrian info on his car.  And I have offered on this thread to verify any VIN for a Daytona that someone sends to me.  I will tell them if the VIN that they send is one of the original cars.  However, since Brian found the VIN on his Daytona, we know where both original cars are, so any other VINs will not be a car which appeared in the MV series.

It will be interesting to hear what the Daytona at Barrett-Jackson sells for.....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know the day and time that this discussed Daytona replica gets sold at Barret Jackson this weekend?  I'd like to DVR it .   Thanks 

2 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Does anybody know the day and time that this discussed Daytona replica gets sold at Barret Jackson this weekend?  I'd like to DVR it .   Thanks 

The car is lot #180 on Friday - see Barrett-Jackson.com - and go to car docket.  The schedule shows that they start auctioning the cars at 11:00 am on Friday.  If you scan through Friday's cars, there are a few missing numbers but some (.1s and .2s) have been added (where a car registers late and they stick it in where they think it will do the best and do that by adding a 25.1 and 25.2 after car # 25 and before car #26), so let's assume that lot #180 will be about the 180th car to cross the block.  It takes between 2 and 3 minutes (average) to sell a car - so that would mean that lot #180 should cross the block between 5:00 and 8:00 pm.  If we had a better average sale time, we could get a better estimate.  If you watch on Friday, you can make a better estimate when you see how fast the cars are selling.  (Or you could set your DVR to record from 4:00 pm until Velocity stops their broadcast at 8:00pm.)  I'll be doing the same thing.

Who here watched the Barrett Jackson auction?    They didn't even auction the Daytona replica!  They skipped right over it and auctioned off some POS white Pontiac Machiavelli Trans Am that was lot # 180.1  (not lot  #180) and said that Tubbs owned part of the company that built it.    WTF ????   

really ? i missed all of it today. it always makes me mad when a good car is coming up (usually a Camaro) and they go to commercial.

Does not surprise me about the title issue.  Specifically given that it is titled as a 'rebuilt kit car' per the BJ ad.     That would scare away most buyers 

" According to Bobby Henderson and major shareholder Steve Shoemaker, Tubs himself drove the car in two episodes of "Miami Vice." This is one of only 12 produced in this model. It's a very rare piece of automotive history."

Does anybody else remember Tubbs ever driving the car that was auctioned last night at BJ ??  I don't

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1986-PONTIAC-MACHIAVELLI-TRANS-AM-194920

I wonder if this is the same car?  http://redondo.com/machiavelli/.  The car apparently sold for $38.5K

In any case, PMT bought an interest in the Machiavelli car company out of Miami which was trying to compete against Euro imports at the time. According to one site, the Machiavelli Max was a body conversion for 82-92 model Firebirds and Camaros.

From my recollection, Tubbs was never seen driving this car in the series but I recall seeing him in promo ads for the car.  He drove some other exotics in the series, such as the Aston Martin v8 Volante (Walk Alone) and a high end Mercedes (Streetwise) but I don't recall him in the Machiavelli.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

7 hours ago, James said:

Here's your answer, from ol' Switek himself.

15avlu.jpg

Thanks for posting. I wonder what could cause Title issues at the 11th hour for a much planned Auction of the car? Seems rather strange to me.  

Sonny it is the same car.  The car sold for $35K plus 10% commission to BJ.  That comes to a total of $38.5K

Yeah, titling issues at the 11th hour seems quite strange. 

On 4/9/2016 at 5:45 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I wonder if this is the same car?  http://redondo.com/machiavelli/.  The car apparently sold for $38.5K

In any case, PMT bought an interest in the Machiavelli car company out of Miami which was trying to compete against Euro imports at the time. According to one site, the Machiavelli Max was a body conversion for 82-92 model Firebirds and Camaros.

From my recollection, Tubbs was never seen driving this car in the series but I recall seeing him in promo ads for the car.  He drove some other exotics in the series, such as the Aston Martin v8 Volante (Walk Alone) and a high end Mercedes (Streetwise) but I don't recall him in the Machiavelli.

Of all things I saw him in what looked to be a white and red ferrari 308 in some photo used in a retro new wave music video on youtube, maybe that's what they were referring to?

• 1 month later...

Question for anyone in here familiar with the vintage Zenith Wire Wheels you see below. This is a photo of one of my wheels with the Spinner removed and you can see a single wheel hub with 3 openings. Those openings are to remove the wheel which spins on a center axis behind the plate. I have a circular plate tool with 3 prongs that slot into those openings which can then be used to turn the hub to remove the wheel.

I am interested in replacing my tires and the shop is reluctant to work on these wheels because there is no known torque setting for tightening.

If anyone knows the torque for tightening this hub or plate please let me know.  

As a side-note I have reached out to Wire Wheel King, which apparently now has many of the employees of the former Zenith Wire Wheels Co employed there, but so far no one can provide the torque specs. I may use them in the future for repairs if any of these wheels show signs of stress cracking.

My%20wheel_zpsp3wxdjxu.jpg

I wonder if it could be like on the lotus elan, a 140 foot pounds I think, going off memory here as I had saved something for this,

ah here it is, in the text file

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/knockoff-spinner-tools/1376635/

not sure if the link still works, and if maybe this would be a better indication given he mentions the foot pounds on this C2's old style rims

granted this is all speculation but atleast its something to work off of, as I think he says a 100 foot pounds, another alternative would be the corvette forums as some of the ones I've come across sometimes have wire wheels once in a blue moon

so someone on there might be in the same boat you are and might have already gone through this, and then theirs the low rider people, like maybe someone has a how to service dalton/zenith wire wheels video somewhere. and mentions the torque setting.

hell pitty we dont have the frigging manual really. hell maybe you need to find a low rider shop and see what they say.

also this showed up in the google search, which basically makes it sound like you just beat the crap out of them really.

Edited by Kavinsky

Thanks Kavinsky. From what the tire store told me the range in torque settings is all over the board from 75-90 and newer vehicles up as high as 140. But since this is a vintage wheel I don't want to over-torque it and damage it or the hub so I am trying to zero in on Zenith only. It may be that no torque settings were ever established for this wheel back in the day and perhaps no one has attempted to determine appropriate settings, but I have to get something definitive if I want to deal with national tire chain stores.

yeah so its best to error on the side of caution, pity the previous owner didnt write it down somewhere like the manual in the glove box as he must have gone through a few sets of tires with how hard he drove it.

hell if you got the number maybe you should call him if he was the original owner and see what he did, although he might have just gone to a generic place and had them switched, but he must have done something as those are hot rod size rims and tires on that baby. and that requires someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to the backspacing and fitting on it.

next person i could think of would be stinger as he seems to know quite abit about cars,

as he knows alot of cool stuff that I dont and its usually about the race variety which had knock offs on them, but its all guess work really until you find someone else who has the exact same rims and knows how to service them.

hell maybe theirs a model number on them, and there is a manual online somewhere, as I did track down the car cover camera uses for the daytona just based on that, and it went to a ferrari berlineta boxer, the 365 BB of all things.

Edited by Kavinsky

So I am in luck as I spoke to an ex-employee of Zenith Wire Wheels  and he was very familiar with my wheel, its adaptor and hardware. Apparently I have a Series 2 wheel with spline drive. He also remembered that they made 5 sets of wheels for the Miami Vice show cars, as apparently they needed spares due to the rough stunt driving scenes. He has made and repaired/restored many sets of wheels for Daytonas.

In any case he told me that there is a locking bolt in one of the 3 holes in the locking nut ( you can see it in the locking nut, which is the round donut shaped object with 3 holes in my photo above). He told me that the locking bolt is what holds the locking nut in place, that essentially keeps the wheel in position. Once the locking bolt is removed, then I can remove the adaptor with a tool I have and slide off the wheel. Once the tires are replaced, he said to use an impact wrench to tighten the locking nut as far as possible, and to continue slow tightening to the next opening in the adaptor that lines up with an opening for the locking bolt. At that point the locking bolt is inserted and tightened the wheel is essentially "torqued" to the next tightest position.  I need to see if this flies with the tire company now so I can order new tires next week.

heh you gotta love how somehow we come across all this stuff 30 years later lol oh yeah I remember that, we gave them five sets of rims for the show, like what are the damn chances lol

next thing you know your going to bump into tubbs at the BJ's tommorow lol

hell what do you bet carl has a set of those still tucked around in his shop somewhere lol

Edited by Kavinsky

• 1 month later...