The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

They used a body shell and tires to appear to blow up the Daytona, but neither Car 1 or Car 4 were involved obviously because they were later sold off. Or are you asking which one was driven up just before the explosion?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah I was asking what they blew up. I knew it wasn't 1 or 4. So it was just some body kit?

It was a body shell made to look like one of the Daytonas, as I think JN mentioned this some time ago. Not sure where the shell came from... perhaps Roberts had a completed mold that he gave them because he was later given both cars in exchange for building the stunt Testarossa.

If you ask me, they blew up a model car, leveraging on the experience of Universal with minuature effects work that was used on other shows like Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard...

the scenery in the take when the car is blown up is different than before, look at the bushes on the crest, they're much higher, more scattered and differently shaped than when they arrive. The vegetation does not move during the blast, while in the other takes, the bushes are swaying in the wind.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

dukes.jpg

kitt3.jpg

Kitt2.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

I couldn't get your links to open for some reason, but now that you mention this I recall someone else did also mention models as a possibility.

They had 2 cars delivered for the series, so they evidently used some form of camera trickery for the explosion. I'll have to watch this scene in Blu-ray soon to see if anything is visible.  Would be interesting to nail this down.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Cool. I didn't know they used this technique on those shows. Yes, would be great to close that case!

What was the guy's name responsible for all the pyro stuff? Nuckles? I get the credits mixed up. I have it in that paperback book somewhere. Maybe we could find/ask that guy. 

Edited by Dadrian

14 hours ago, daytona365 said:

If you ask me, they blew up a model car, leveraging on the experience of Universal with minuature effects work that was used on other shows like Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard...

the scenery in the take when the car is blown up is different than before, look at the bushes on the crest, they're much higher, more scattered and differently shaped than when they arrive. The vegetation does not move during the blast, while in the other takes, the bushes are swaying in the wind.

Very interesting possibility.  The scene does look different in Sonny's glasses than it does in the direct scene.  And there are not a lot of pieces going up during the explosion.  And using a model would be a cost effective way of shooting the scene.

14 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Fascinating!  Great post!  I'm sold on your theory.

[edit]  Sonny-Burnett, you're right, it has been discussed before.  It was Kavinsky back on page 58 of this thread who first brought up the miniature model theory:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/1010-the-ferrari-daytonas-of-miami-vice/&do=findComment&comment=161350

Edited by airtommy

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

Fascinating!  Great post!  I'm sold on your theory.

[edit]  Sonny-Burnett, you're right, it has been discussed before.  It was Kavinsky back on page 58 of this thread who first brought up the miniature model theory:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/1010-the-ferrari-daytonas-of-miami-vice/&do=findComment&comment=161350

Thanks airtommy for digging this up. I had forgotten about that angle from Kavinsky from around 5 years ago. He suggested a sand model was built around the model car, and made similar observations about few pieces exploding as well as the flash. Would be more cost effective for sure.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Thanks airtommy for digging this up. I had forgotten about that angle from Kavinsky from around 5 years ago. He suggested a sand model was built around the model car, and made similar observatons about few pieces exploding as well as the flash. Would be more cost effective for sure.

totally agree with Kavinsky's interpretation. The explosion looks like a typical black powder flash, with a lot of white smoke and all (see below). In any case, a blast that would make a full size car disintegrate as completely and as quick as this one would also create a shockwave strong enough to take out all windows in a radius of over a hundred yards, so it would for sure also kick up a lot of the sandy ground and make those bushes sway a little. Furter, if you look at other movie scenes - also on Miami Vice - where obviously real cars are blown up, the fireball has more of an orange/black cauliflower look with more accentuated flames and smoke than here, as usually regular fuel is used to create the effect, with the addition of some very small explosive loads to make some parts fly off.

20140620dsFireworksAllZones04.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I haven't posted anything for some time. I thought I would write a quick note to encourage the folks who are still very active here to keep the dream alive.  I have gotten drawn into work again, maybe more than I should have.  Selling my Daytona was the right move, as it needed more attention than I had time to give.  I still have a photo of it in my office.  But those cars are for people with more time and money than I have.  And I ended up getting a car that takes very little work and attention, and yet gets as many looks.  When I sold my Daytona I rolled the money into an Aston Martin DB9 (Meteorite Silver) with a real V12.  So, I can take it out for a spin every weekend and not have to take it to the shop the next week (that is an exaggeration, but I was beginning to feel like that was the way things went).

Wish all of you the best, and I will still check in on occasion, but you guys have become the experts!!

Best wishes,

JN

• Like 3

Hey JN, congrats on the Aston ! Sweet car.  What year did you buy?

Yeah I agree with you that these Daytona's most likely will take a lot of time and mechanical attention.  Unfortunately I also don't have much of either.  Hence my reason of not yet pulling the trigger to buy one.  I just cant find one that it already "turnkey" and ready to go.  Most still have some (if not many) kinks that need to be worked out of them.

I've got my relatively new Porsche 911 C4 'S' (2015 with only 4K miles) and my '72 'Vette convertible to keep me occupied in the meantime.   The 'Vette has been surprisingly easy to maintain given its age.

Enjoy your new ride :)

13 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

By the way, I have been kicking around the idea of buying this "modern day looking Daytona" and avoid the hassles of a 30+ year old car.

Even has my REQUIRED MUST HAVE Daytona seats !

http://www.dixiemotorsinc.com/detail-2010-ferrari-california-california~daytona_seats~nav~diamond_wheels~scuderia~ceramic_-used-15965510.html

Don't know anything about the Porshe, but the Ferrari looks good.  I was at a broker in Florida who had a warehouse full of Ferrari, Bentley, Mazarati and assorted other exotics in West Palm.  I really liked the Bentley far better than the sportier exotics, but I fell in love with the Aston Martin.  And I said I would always have a ragtop, but I went with the coupe.  It is one of the finest cars, both interior and exterior appointments and the engine sound.  While I paid for the AM, I did find out that exotics can be financed for 15 years.  You buy it, drive it, and then sell it and they loose very little (some of the Ferrari models appreciate).  Although I remember your parking situation wouldn't lend to something like that, I would guess.  I will say this, of the Ferrari models I looked at, I much prefer to drive the front engine cars.  The California and the F550(not the right number, but you probably now the style) were the better ones to me--but that may be just my old school preference to the weight and balance of a rear wheel.

Anyway, good luck with that!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, jurassic narc said:

So, I haven't posted anything for some time. I thought I would write a quick note to encourage the folks who are still very active here to keep the dream alive.  I have gotten drawn into work again, maybe more than I should have.  Selling my Daytona was the right move, as it needed more attention than I had time to give.  I still have a photo of it in my office.  But those cars are for people with more time and money than I have.  And I ended up getting a car that takes very little work and attention, and yet gets as many looks.  When I sold my Daytona I rolled the money into an Aston Martin DB9 (Meteorite Silver) with a real V12.  So, I can take it out for a spin every weekend and not have to take it to the shop the next week (that is an exaggeration, but I was beginning to feel like that was the way things went).

Wish all of you the best, and I will still check in on occasion, but you guys have become the experts!!

Best wishes,

JN

I just saw this and had to look up the DB9 in silver...a very sleek and Bond-like car you have JN...nice. Maybe you can post a shot some time. I've seen Aston Martins on the road from time to time and they certainly are head turners. And I hear you on the 'time and money' issue of older cars.

a reupload of original post link would really be appreaciated, to avoid swindles. price are very variable, they range from 10k to 80-90k US $

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2017 at 0:39 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I just saw this and had to look up the DB9 in silver...a very sleek and Bond-like car you have JN...nice. Maybe you can post a shot some time. I've seen Aston Martins on the road from time to time and they certainly are head turners. And I hear you on the 'time and money' issue of older cars.

Now bears the correct license plate DB9AGB (reference to the DB10 plate in SPECTRE (DB10AGB).  Quantum Silver, with tan interior.

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0560.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, jurassic narc said:

The old car appeared on Jimmy Fallon.  Enough details to verify the identity.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, volobrian said:

Yes that was yours. They just filmed that a few days ago. Didn't think it would air that fast! 

Did you guys have insider information on this, because I sure could not tell from the brief interior glimpses whose car it was.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, jurassic narc said:

Now bears the correct license plate DB9AGB (reference to the DB10 plate in SPECTRE (DB10AGB).  Quantum Silver, with tan interior.

Beautiful car JN...nice touch with the 007 Plates. And I am starting to feel the way you must have felt when it was time for you to part with your Daytona. Constant investment in repairs and maintenance, and I've had my fun now for the last 7 years so I'm giving some thought to parting with mine.