The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Page 68 lol. I’m getting there! It’s is tough re reading through all the quotes posted throughout but I’m sticking w/ it! I’ve never wanted a McBurnie as much as I do now. 

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 2

Some progress photos of Car 1, getting Roberts changes reversed.  Corvette dash back in place and building out the Ferrari bump, building the screen accurate door panels from scratch, new upholstery to match the original, wire wheels are out for re-chroming, added a top (there was no top at all on the car).  Supposed to be completed mid-March.  

vice 12.jpg

vice 11.jpg

vice 10.jpg

vice 8.jpg

vice 7.jpg

vice 6.jpg

vice 5.jpg

vice 4.jpg

vice 3.jpg

vice 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic photos @volobrian !  I like the Vette dash and assembly in these pics, and know the customization of the dash pad is likely a bit of a challenge, as I remember previous comments by @jurassic narc when doing his dash. And there apparently are issues when changing out the gauge clusters from faux Ferrari to Vette re the wiring harnesses and with issues in calibrating the new speedo and tach.  Looks like you are going with the black center console look as Car4 appears today, vs using the burlwood look in the series? 

Thanks for sharing and please keep 'em coming! :cool:

• Like 1

On 5/12/2015 at 12:28 AM, Kavinsky said:

Interior and doorwise, with the doors we dont know if the car, car 1 had tornado or baby tornado mirrors, as we only found out that through this shot of car 4

gallery_471_5_18854.jpg

that car 4 had the larger by 1 inch tornado mirrors on it, noted by the power adjustment knobs here under the handbrake, in the ashtray/coin tray, which does not come with the cheaper and much simpler baby tornados

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VITALONI-TORNADO-ELECTRIC-/271845635611?hash=item3f4b43361b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vitaloni-Baby-Tornado-Mirror-MIR60CR-/301608959101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46394b7c7d

and it has been removed on car 4 post show, and currently jurrasic's car is the only one that has them right now.

also note how the door light is visible on the interior of car 4, yet its not there on car 1

gallery_471_5_65852.jpg

and with the door panels as noted above I think the speaker on it may be the same one from that vintage lambo, and theres also this shot of it fron the hindge area to give you a greater sense of scale of its pocket and how it should look

gallery_471_5_10680.jpg

sadly I do not ever remember seeing a shot of the lower half to confirm that it did not have a door light on it, also in this same scene, they switch cars, when it pulls up in Tales of the Goat its car 4, with the sunvisors and being used for the close ups

then when he opens the door its car 1 here, and trying to nail down any close interior shots of car 1 is exceedingly difficult

dash wise I cant really give you anything about its construction other than what it looked like

gallery_471_5_51649.jpg

gallery_471_5_70622.jpg

as one of the possiblities that I'm looking into is that maybe some parts of the SL 500 dash were used for Car 4's dash, but Car 1 looks like it was probably made up from scratch to look like it did

the center console should look pretty much like a stock 1976 or 1978 unit, with the mismatched wood shift knob on it,

but other that that more or less like here on car 4

gallery_471_5_9809.jpg

as it was glistening in the 906 chase, like they had burlwood on the center on that one as well

gallery_471_5_11785.jpg

gallery_471_5_33598.jpg

gallery_471_5_39667.jpg

gallery_471_5_3853.jpg

plus the inner windshield trim is still that of the 1976 car

gallery_471_5_70622.jpg

gallery_471_5_19310.jpg

black steering column lined up with that of the momo steering wheel adapter by the way, probably the original 1976 unit.

exterior wise on that same piece the windshield trim went from chrome in S1,

gallery_471_5_293720.jpg

Hitlist part 1

to Matt black in S2 to match car 4

gallery_471_5_51850.jpg

and then for speed zone it was replaced with the carl roberts unit seen here

!BY6ScwQCGk~$%28KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKkFq

sans chrome and painted gloss, as it is now.

much like Jurrasic used to have on his car, also its worth noting that with all of the differences in the interior here, you can see why we were so skeptical of the car and if it was the actual car or not

as it looks like most of the interior was stripped out once it left the show for speed zone, possibly to cover up that you know what.

anyways ill get onto the front end and the tires, as there is a difference there latter, as this must have taken a few hours to source everything and get it down.

oh also Momo Veloce, 13.5 inch wheel try the Saleen boys if you can, as the Saleen mustangs back then apparently used them.

although it would be a far greater boone if you could track down the original by some small miracle, and who knows maybe don knicked it lol as I kept a keep sake of my first car actually, the rear view mirror that I plan to use later on on one of these someday.

although thankfully it looks like he didnt replace the steering column and its still as it was in the old days outside of the wheel attached to it, so that's atleast a miracle in of itself I'd reckon

ugh christ, they call me the hounddog, hounddog taylor lol and I need to get to sleep.

also this just showed up on the radar, not yellow, but blue if anyone wants them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-Wire-Wheels-Campbell-Blue-Chips-/251949080339?hash=item3aa955df13&vxp=mtr

Yep, good call!!!  I have the Momo Veloce in my 88 Mustang Saleen replica.

88EDEC2E-BAD6-42E1-9451-6DD4B178FF1B.jpeg

7EF0CCBC-56BA-4E08-9A36-FF60F69DE850.jpeg

I did it! Read every damn page of this post. All 94 pages!!

Hello, my name is Jay, and I’m a McBurnie Daytona addict lol. Many years behind you all but this sparked a crazy interest in these cars!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, volobrian said:

Some progress photos of Car 1, getting Roberts changes reversed.  Corvette dash back in place and building out the Ferrari bump, building the screen accurate door panels from scratch, new upholstery to match the original, wire wheels are out for re-chroming, added a top (there was no top at all on the car).  Supposed to be completed mid-March.  

vice 12.jpg

vice 11.jpg

vice 10.jpg

vice 8.jpg

vice 7.jpg

vice 6.jpg

vice 5.jpg

vice 4.jpg

vice 3.jpg

vice 2.jpg

This is great!!  Makes me very happy to see the car returned to it's former glory.  I have got to get up there!

Great progress on the car, Brian! I like how the interior is coming along....is the same shop in MN doing all the restoration?  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jurassic narc said:

This is great!!  Makes me very happy to see the car returned to it's former glory.  I have got to get up there!

+1 on that. I am making the trip up there when it warms up a bit...may even take the Daytona. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Won’t let me view it Brian.

I clicked it and it looks like it downloads to your computer.  I'm going to do a better video and post it to youtube, will post that one later

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, volobrian said:

I clicked it and it looks like it downloads to your computer.  I'm going to do a better video and post it to youtube, will post that one later

I can open the download in Windows Media Player 12, but I can only hear the audio.  Can you convert the file into MP4 format and repost? 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-convert-mov-to-mp4/

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 2 weeks later...

yeash I take a break for a while and come back to that, the dash is looking good but I think the center console wood was more orangy, like Burlwood I think, and the speaker was more a generic boombox esque one, not sure what from

the cars were made in california so it might have been something that was big at that time, as at that time you found what was around and made it work, one of those funny things really, as sometimes things just click into place and work, hell might even be able to tell what from if you do the backchecking and found out what businesses were around the Mcburnie factory at that time, long shot but the yellow pages was the way to go back then lol

hell I'm starting to think the reason for the Mcburnie grill, the latter the leveled one was to give the apperance of a grill but also redirect the airflow under the nose as not to build up airflow under the front, hence the angle to it

and I'm wondering if the trans am connection I sensed may have been more solid that I thought hence why I liked the car so much, such as of all things I wonder if maybe the seats were off of a trans am on Car 4, as if you look at the nightrider seats, and the ones on the Vice car in the pilot I swear it could be a match, and that maybe Mcburnie and Co took the seats and just put their own headrest on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YKtQrYNKPg

I know I always reference Jay's stuff here, but I think I'm gonna look up that guys book just to see if they mention where the seats come from, plus I swear with the trans ams, there was one I was looking at, a 73 I think, one of the 455 SD cars, made up to be like a clone of MCQ's cars had things that looked very similar to some of the stuff on car 4.

as it would make the most sense, the hottest ride GM was making back in the day was the trans am series, the corvette was more a grand tourer and kind of languishing on its larrels in the late 70's early 80's and alot of people such as the people who made the macho trans am would take one, and then retune it give it abit more power and flare

and it would make the most sense that someone would see a languishing corvette, put a turbo on it like the turbo trans am and try to get the most out of it and then go to town on it.

which is kinda what happened with car 4, it did have a turbo on it at one point from Mcburnie, and it would make the most sense, foreign looks, american motor with a turbo to give you a mid point between a small block and a big block on modern pump gas, and if you needed parts you could just go and get them, much like the american cobra.

which is probably what pulled me the most, as my first love was always the shelby cobra, its just that well, its 427 CI on a short wheel base in alight weight body with coil springs and god knows how much HP, hell even the people who own then say leave them stock as they already have too much power under the hood as they are lol

the corvettes the opposite abit, and modern engines and modern fuel means that well, you can build them any way you want, still kinda regret not going for that one that that guy offered me on here, great car and I loved the look of the C4 motor under the hood, but the money's gotta go to homebuilding and finding a new state to live in.

even had mice take up residence in my garage at one point, like where the hell did they come from?! would have torn up the interior on that poor thing in a heartbeat.

sucks but I made the right choice on that, what's even worse is I got a classic car mechanic up the street from me that I didnt even know about, as I stopped in to ask about the avanti's and the T birds he had in

turns out he had a wee bit more on the inside, including a GMC Typhoon, like 2 miles from my old GM dealership and he's like NOPE not taking it to them lol cant say I blame him, they probably wouldnt even know how to fix the injectors at that old place on it lol

probably would have ended up looking the mechanics from the mask worked on it in the end if he did knowing that lot lol

110 dollars for a brake line, 10 dollars for the brake line, YEASH! like I doubt even testla would charge that, and they charge a 180 dollars an hour to work on their cars!

Edited by Kavinsky

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, volobrian said:

If anyone is near Charlotte NC, our Daytona will be on display at the Charlotte AutoFair in April  http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/calendar/  

Volobrian - How did the Charlotte AutoFair go?  I didn't see the car in any of the "Gallery" pictures on the website.

Edited by CameraDaytona

• 2 months later...

Hey camera just came across this, I think this is where the replacement door panels came from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Jaguar-XJ12-V12-XJ12C-coupe/223076647254?hash=item33f0678156:g:TvoAAOSw38BaaUZd&vxp=mtr

kinda fits, even has some of the same attachements, like maybe Carl modified these to fit, and it would fit given the wood paneling that was put on it on the show was very Jaguar Esque to begin with.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, Kavinsky said:

Hey camera just came across this, I think this is where the replacement door panels came from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Jaguar-XJ12-V12-XJ12C-coupe/223076647254?hash=item33f0678156:g:TvoAAOSw38BaaUZd&vxp=mtr

kinda fits, even has some of the same attachements, like maybe Carl modified these to fit, and it would fit given the wood paneling that was put on it on the show was very Jaguar Esque to begin with.

The arm rests look similar, but I think that the door panels are modified Corvette door panels.  They are readily available.  And I think that the seats are Corvette seats with Ferrari look-alike seat covers.