The Bug Van

coolrunninman

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_47582-Dodge-Ram-Van-1981.html

Eingefügtes Bild

Anyone nostalgic for those old 80s vans? Sort of a funny charm to them. Pretty rare sights on today's roads, as most were worked hard then crushed or rusted to oblivion. The bug van post-Larry was kind of cool in an undercover, anon way. These things were easy cheap and easy to fix, i couldn't mind tooling around with friends in one.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_47582-Dodge-Ram-Van-1981.html

Eingefügtes Bild

Anyone nostalgic for those old 80s vans? Sort of a funny charm to them. Pretty rare sights on today's roads, as most were worked hard then crushed or rusted to oblivion. The bug van post-Larry was kind of cool in an undercover, anon way. These things were easy cheap and easy to fix, i couldn't mind tooling around with friends in one.

It seemed to fit there character well also the van  :D

When I was a kid in highschool I took drivers ed. We had about 40 in the class and three vehicles and a van. The three vehicles were small car automatics and the van was standard-three on the tree EXACTLY like the Bug Van!

I opted to volunteer for the van and there were only three of us out of 40 that decided to learn to drive on one of these Dodge vans with the "three on the tree" shift.

Later on I had a Ford Van when I was 19 and built a bed in the back and fixed it up inside as a camper, puts some mag wheels on it and cruised...................................Fun vehicle for the beach!

I also remember in that era that fifteen big prizes were given away by one of the cola companies that teamed with a jean company and these Ford vans, all decked to the hilt, were given away as prizes. They were called the "Denim-Machine"

http://bangshift.com/blog/found-1977-ford-denim-machine-van-for-sale-in-canada.html

http://blogs.hotrod.com/denim-machine-meets-all-your-coca-cola-levis-and-hot-rod-needs-hot-rod-homecoming-2013-48697.html#axzz2tmQzSOql

Eingefügtes Bild

Minivans and SUV's of today aren't the same as these old full size vans of yesteryear. You can still get a E-150 full size and Mercedes even has gotten into the delivery van market, but your right that they are few and far between.

Vans were a huge culture at the end of the 70's and early 80's, there was even movies and songs written about them, but it faded away with gas prices going up and van sizes diminishing.

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

Yeah I think the last time I saw a van in modern fiction was the A Team Movie and they promptly killed it off, and they said they had to redo a ford to look like a GMC given that GMC parts for it were really hard to come by too.

and if theres no parts theres no cars, so it has to come back into vogue and get popular again for them to make parts for it and then we'll see more of it.

also another sad loss from this era is the end of the pickup truck sedans too, hell can you imagine how a modern El Camino would look nowadays?

I know what you mean.

I had many Rancheros in my time. Ford was the first to build them in 1957 and the ranchers loved them! The ride of a car and the utility of a pickup...

Ford sold so many of them in the first two years that GM decided to copy them and came out with the El Camino.(Spanish for "The Truck") they were cut down Impala's whereas Ford used the Fairlane body style.

I have owned both Ranchero's and El Caminos and I have to say the Ranchero is twice the vehicle...

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm so that's what that means, actually I have to admit I've grown fond of that El Camino they used on the Motor trend show Roadkill here lately, and not the typical 454 SS model either.

although sadly the owner screwed up the transmision here, hopefully not that badly.