Episode #75 "Missing Hours"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Detective_Crockett said:

All the crack to enjoy this episode is locked up in OCB evidence :)

Lol...true that! :)  Personally I prefer more legal substances--such as margarita. ;)  But there is no way there'd be enough of that either for me to get through this episode! :dance2: I'd rather skip it and watch Definitely Miami or Smuggler's Blues while sipping the liver-pickling, but amazing lime nectar. :cheers:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 12:33 PM, APalFromHawaii said:

What the... what was on the minds of those who made the special moments? Those weird parts with cloudy backgrounds and Trudy's face under that singer... Weird!

And the peanut butter bottle spinnin'... and the UFO attack on Crockett and Tubbs... Compare this to Little Miss Dangerous, or any S1 episode.. What were they thinking?

The only thing on the writer’s minds was crack...cheap crack! :sick:

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The only thing on the writer’s minds was crack...cheap crack! :sick:

Aww man, It might have turned out better if the writers were using some of Frank Zappa's weasel dust instead of that cheap stuff.. Shame;(

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 5:11 AM, Vincent Hanna said:

Aww man, It might have turned out better if the writers were using some of Frank Zappa's weasel dust instead of that cheap stuff.. Shame;(

Lol...yup, it appears they took something Izzy would have been “peddling” instead. :p 

On 18/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, APalFromHawaii said:

What the... what was on the minds of those who made the special moments? Those weird parts with cloudy backgrounds and Trudy's face under that singer... Weird!

And the peanut butter bottle spinnin'... and the UFO attack on Crockett and Tubbs... Compare this to Little Miss Dangerous, or any S1 episode.. What were they thinking?

The peanut butter spinning ! Ha ha 

and what a waste of James Brown!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 12:43 AM, Vincent Hanna said:

Haha, I can just imagine those guys talking to Izzy and Manny at the start of Bought and Paid for. What was it? Sugar? D'oh

Lol...yeah...probably Izzy’s sugar! Lol! 

12 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The peanut butter spinning ! Ha ha 

and what a waste of James Brown!

The peanut butter and James Brown never made sense...but then again nothing in this cluster-fart of an episode made any sense! ?( :radar: The worst episode of the series...and one of, if not the, worst episodes of any show in TV history! :thumbsdown: 

11 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...yeah...probably Izzy’s sugar! Lol! 

The peanut butter and James Brown never made sense...but then again nothing in this cluster-fart of an episode made any sense! ?( :radar: The worst episode of the series...and one of, if not the, worst episodes of any show in TV history! :thumbsdown: 

Ha ha - wow you do feel strongly about it ViceFanMan !

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Ha ha - wow you do feel strongly about it ViceFanMan !

Yup! I truly cannot think of an episode of any other show I’ve seen (and I’ve watched lots over the years) that is this bad, pathetic, and annoying! 

15 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yup! I truly cannot think of an episode of any other show I’ve seen (and I’ve watched lots over the years) that is this bad, pathetic, and annoying! 

Its pretty poor writing and directing in this one !:hippie:

• 11 months later...

And Dick Wolf casting James Brown, he was just trying top the casting of Miles Davis in season 2.

Sadly he failed miserably, wasted opportunity, if they had any sense he should have been a shady music producer,  or a nightclub owner. Frankly the writers were all over the place in season 4. 

Edited by RedDragon86

On 11/7/2018 at 5:14 PM, RedDragon86 said:

And Dick Wolf casting James Brown, he was just trying top the casting of Miles Davis in season 2.

Sadly he failed miserably, wasted opportunity, if they had any sense he should have been a shady music producer,  or a nightclub owner. Frankly the writers were all over the place in season 4. 

I don’t know if Wolf or anyone was trying to top any past casting...they probably just tried to cast whoever, to fit the episode. The problem was the writers and the episode itself...and that this episode is not only the worst episode of MV :evil: ...it’s literally the WORST episode of any show in television history!! :thumbsdown: Utter garbage, that doesn’t even make sense! ?(  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I don’t know if Wolf or anyone was trying to top any past casting...they probably just tried to cast whoever, to fit the episode. The problem was the writers and the episode itself...and that this episode is not only the worst episode of MV :evil: ...it’s literally the WORST episode of any show in television history!! :thumbsdown: Utter garbage, that doesn’t even make sense! ?(  

Completely agree. 

• Like 1

Holy shit, you guys didn't promise too much in this thread! The first episode of vice I had to quit before it ended. What have they been smoking while writing this episode? By the way, I was even an X-Files fan back in the days and still like it, but this is just too ridiculous and couldn't be further from what MV is famous for...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

There is nothing to see in this episode except how hot Trudy is. 

Well, there is a chance to see Chris Rock and James Brown.  Most people would never associate Rock as a Miami Vice alumnus.

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

Most people would never associate Rock as a Miami Vice alumnus

Yeah, goes right along with all the weirdness in that episode. :birdie:

• Like 1

Utter garbage, its hard to believe that this episode is part of the same show that produced episodes like "No Exit" "Out Where The Buses Don't Run" "Home Invaders and "Payback" "Little Miss Dangerous"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All right, the dreaded Missing Hours.  Just watched it again and thought I'd give some thoughts.  Btw I am somewhat into the paranormal myself so I don't hate this ep quite as much as everybody else although I do think it is bad for Miami Vice.  This is the writers attempting to hit all the hot topics of the day, so this is the "UFO" episode.  Whitley Strieber's Communion book had just hit in '87 and got major attention.  And I must say that they at least did some basic research into the subject.  

The opening is obviously silly, though I'd like to point out that Noogie is carrying a Lazer Tag pistol that I once had myself.  Pretty cool.  The concept of missing time first came into public consciousness with the Betty and Barney Hill case. The peanut butter thing-there's been reports of idiosyncrasies like this on the part of ETs and returning abductees.  Abductees have returned from their experiences inexplicably with different tastes and cravings in their lives, as well as euphoria like Trudy in the "I Feel Good" scene.  Some have even changed sexual orientation.  Also reportedly one captured ET had a penchant for strawberry ice cream.  Nevada is mentioned of course.  Home to Area 51 and supposedly S-4 where Bob Lazar worked on reverse-engineering captured aircraft.  Abductee body markings are shown which is also a phenomenon.  

Sonny takes Akers' hand in the interrogation room which is highly uncommon.  Chris Rock looks emaciated but it's cool to see him in the OCB.  He is a Miami Vice alumnus now.  The concept of screen memories/implanted false memories are explored here as well-also part of abductee experience.  James Brown is always cool, and he's a helluva lot better here than Miles Davis was in his ep.  Everybody always mentions how good Trudy looks and that's true, but I also think Gina looks really good here too.  Men In Black take Akers from the hotel and are involved here.  They are yet another agency operating above the law on American soil with their own agenda.  This actually fits in with the many themes of Vice.  Power outages and automobile failure are featured which has also been reported by many, including military and law enforcement.  Some of the first computer/internet bulletin boards were used by UFO researchers.  "Cigar shaped craft" are mentioned which is a very common descriptive term in reports going back decades.  There's a glass Gatorade bottle on the table in the houseboat.  I remember these vividly as well as the different taste they imparted.  That goes for glass soda bottles too, btw.  I find some of the dream imagery here David Lynch-ian.  New Mexico, site of the Roswell incident, is mentioned as well as disinformation and debunking cases.  Coercion, intimidation, and even the drugging of witnesses is also discussed.  This has been reported not only by civilians but also by military personnel, particularly in regards to the Rendelsham Forest case in the UK.  Landing spots that leave radiation, and consquently where vegetation fails to grow is also mentioned.  There is tangible proof of this sort of thing.

Overall this ep does a good job of hitting all the bases of the apparent phenomenon here.  A Cliff Notes version for the un-initiated.  It has to be said, as crazy as the premise is, the cast is fully invested in the material.  Everybody does well here, especially Olivia Brown and PMT.  Brown really sells the trauma and helplessness of the situation which is how it would be.  Kudos to her for real in a part that must have been especially difficult.  She goes to many extremes emotionally all within one episode.  There's humor too, especially with C&T at the hotel.  I'm not defending this episode, but there's different ways to look at it besides outright hate and dismissal.  A positive way to look at it is as an exploratory one-off that isn't really part of the canon, which it wouldn't really be anyway if it's all  just a dream, right?

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 7:41 PM, Bren10 said:

All right, the dreaded Missing Hours.  Just watched it again and thought I'd give some thoughts.  Btw I am somewhat into the paranormal myself so I don't hate this ep quite as much as everybody else although I do think it is bad for Miami Vice.  This is the writers attempting to hit all the hot topics of the day, so this is the "UFO" episode.  Whitley Strieber's Communion book had just hit in '87 and got major attention.  And I must say that they at least did some basic research into the subject.  

The opening is obviously silly, though I'd like to point out that Noogie is carrying a Lazer Tag pistol that I once had myself.  Pretty cool.  The concept of missing time first came into public consciousness with the Betty and Barney Hill case. The peanut butter thing-there's been reports of idiosyncrasies like this on the part of ETs and returning abductees.  Abductees have returned from their experiences inexplicably with different tastes and cravings in their lives, as well as euphoria like Trudy in the "I Feel Good" scene.  Some have even changed sexual orientation.  Also reportedly one captured ET had a penchant for strawberry ice cream.  Nevada is mentioned of course.  Home to Area 51 and supposedly S-4 where Bob Lazar worked on reverse-engineering captured aircraft.  Abductee body markings are shown which is also a phenomenon.  

Sonny takes Akers' hand in the interrogation room which is highly uncommon.  Chris Rock looks emaciated but it's cool to see him in the OCB.  He is a Miami Vice alumnus now.  The concept of screen memories/implanted false memories are explored here as well-also part of abductee experience.  James Brown is always cool, and he's a helluva lot better here than Miles Davis was in his ep.  Everybody always mentions how good Trudy looks and that's true, but I also think Gina looks really good here too.  Men In Black take Akers from the hotel and are involved here.  They are yet another agency operating above the law on American soil with their own agenda.  This actually fits in with the many themes of Vice.  Power outages and automobile failure are featured which has also been reported by many, including military and law enforcement.  Some of the first computer/internet bulletin boards were used by UFO researchers.  "Cigar shaped craft" are mentioned which is a very common descriptive term in reports going back decades.  There's a glass Gatorade bottle on the table in the houseboat.  I remember these vividly as well as the different taste they imparted.  That goes for glass soda bottles too, btw.  I find some of the dream imagery here Davi Lynch-ian.  New Mexico, site of the Roswell incident, is mentioned as well as disinformation and debunking cases.  Coercion, intimidation, and even the drugging of witnesses is also discussed.  This has been reported not only by civilians but also by military personnel, particularly in regards to the Rendelsham Forest case in the UK.  Landing spots that leave radiation, and consquently where vegetation fails to grow is also mentioned.  There is tangible proof of this sort of thing.

Overall this ep does a good job of hitting all the bases of the apparent phenomenon here.  A Cliff Notes version for the un-initiated.  It has to be said, as crazy as the premise is, the cast is fully invested in the material.  Everybody does well here, especially Olivia Brown and PMT.  Brown really sells the trauma and helplessness of the situation which is how it would be.  Kudos to her for real in a part that must have been especially difficult.  She goes to many extremes emotionally all within one episode.  There's humor too, especially with C&T at the hotel.  I'm not defending this episode, but there's different ways to look at it besides outright hate and dismissal.  A positive way to look at it is as an exploratory one-off that isn't really part of the canon, which it wouldn't really be anyway if it's all  just a dream, right?

Really good review and thoughts on this episode. 

• Thanks 1

This episode is so bad you could see an embarrassed look on Michael Talbotts and Sandra's face in one scene minute - 13:19, like what is this crap? her awkward look is so real.

Bad material, bad acting from very good actors, Olivia tried but the rest couldn't be bothered to make an effort. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, RedDragon86 said:

This episode is so bad you could see an embarrassed look on Michael Talbotts and Sandra's face in one scene minute - 13:19, like what is this crap? her awkward look is so real.

Bad material, bad acting from very good actors, Olivia tried but the rest couldn't be bothered to make an effort. 

Agreed! This episode isn’t even close to a decent or good delve into the “paranormal” and/or supposed “alien” aspect. It’s just utter garbage!  MV is one of the most awesome and iconic aspects in the television industry...but sadly this episode is one of the worst and most pathetic episodes in the television industry! :thumbsdown: :wuerg: 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Agreed! This episode isn’t even close to a decent or good delve into the “paranormal” and/or supposed “alien” aspect. It’s just utter garbage!  MV is one of the most awesome and iconic aspects in the television industry...but sadly this episode is one of the worst and most pathetic episodes in the television industry! :thumbsdown: :wuerg: 

Certainly is, the first 2 seasons are still the best TV I have seen, and I have seen more or less everything, from the Sopranos to Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad.

Miami Vice was basically movies in TV show, I rate episodes higher than a lot of good moves in the 80s, it was that good. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 9:52 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Certainly is, the first 2 seasons are still the best TV I have seen, and I have seen more or less everything, from the Sopranos to Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad.

Miami Vice was basically movies in TV show, I rate episodes higher than a lot of good moves in the 80s, it was that good. 

MV was meant to be like an MTV feature film on television. Some of the best TV ever created! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

MV was meant to be like an MTV feature film on television. Some of the best TV ever created! :thumbsup: 

:xmas:Yes the best five seasons of television ever.:xmas:

• Like 1