Episode #75 "Missing Hours"

Ferrariman

Really strange MV would ever produce an episode this bad - I liked the scenes with C&T with James Brown though at the theatre presentation ..:shout::D

Yeah...I've never been able to figure out why they wrote and/or produced one this terrible...again, here is what I recently stated about this episode:

Missing Hours....What happens when dog **** lays out' date=' gets hard and turns white and dusty.-10Oh and who the hell rated this clusterfuck a 10?[/quote']
LOL! :) Now' date=' now...to each his or her own (even if it sucks!) :p I've heard that there are those [b']weird few that actually like the smell or scent of a skunk. Perhaps there are also those sick few who like the smell of old, crusty dog crap?
Mentioning this episode in another thread' date=' I had to come back and still agree with my above post! "Missing Hours" was garbage and again I think the writers were on some of Calderone's "product" when [i']attempting to write an episode. :pI think I last watched this one when the DVD set first came out...and I forced myself to watch it as I wanted to watch every episode on the DVD sets to see how "remastered" and improved they really were. What I found was most of the episode content with each one had been re-done and very "superbly"...however a lot of the openings to the episodes, with the theme song, had not been.Anyway, before the DVD set the last time I watched this was probably around 1996 or so on the cable network fx, which was airing reruns at the time. The first time I ever saw it, unfortunately, was when the episode first aired. It was bad enough then...but like a rotting piece of meat, it only gets worse with age! :sick:Oh yeah, and by the way...my vote is still a -10, even though I originally voted a 1 not realizing the 10 above it was negative-10!
These were some of mine and other's earlier posts regarding this episode. Not much has changed. Oh no...I'm to this episode in the series, and I don't know what I was thinking...but I actually decided to watch it again--for the first time in several years! It's still just as stupid, pathetic, annoying, etc...as before! Like I said earlier, like a rotting piece of meat...it only gets worse with age! :sick:The very beginning is somewhat interesting and humorous (but even that is "pushing" it)...with Izzy and Noogie dressed up like moron superheroes, and supposedly helping Stan and Trudy on a stakeout. However, Stan also makes the comment that it was Castillo's idea those flip-zoids help them on the stakeout...I'm sorry but I seriously doubt Castillo would ever want Izzy and Noogie to help them with anything (even though sometimes they did). However, those two's reaction to the whacko-dude ripping his shirt off and throwing himself through a window was funny...the idea of Noogie declaring someone else crazy makes me laugh my butt off! :)However, that's the end of anything even remotely "good" about this garbage. :rolleyes:The plot of this makes no sense! Why did they pick James Brown to be a fictional singer Lou De Long & to be the sort of "spokesperson" for the alien organization? What does peanut butter have to do with anything, and what was up with the abandoned houseboat? The writers had to be on Crack, or wasted, or dreaming about stomach bile & vomit...or all 3 when they came up with this filth! :thumbsdown: This whole thing was all over the place, did not connect up at all, and was completely off the "radar"...and left you going "What the he**?" :radar:Even though this episode revolved around Trudy, and I liked that idea...it still was horrible and even her part was bizarre and ridiculous! :evil: But, I'm sure Olivia Brown did exactly what she was told...it just sadly happened to be crack-head, nonsense. :rolleyes:Again, this is easily the worst episode of not only the series...but possibly of TV show history! Having an episode like this with a show this superb...is like opening up a brand new package of your favorite underwear...only to discover someone already left a skid-mark in one of 'em. :sick: It's utter, complete, "diarrhea" of entertainment and I still cannot believe they left this one in?? :confused: This should have been removed from the original schedule, instead of "Too Much Too Late"! :evil:And I ask the same question that MrsEvanFreed did...who the hell rated this clusterfu** a 10?? I originally rated this a 1...then realized I could have rated it -10. So, even though "technically" I can't...in reality I'm changing my vote to -10 for sure!! :thumbsdown:

Inarguably one of the worst episodes of Vice, but I'm still not convinced it's worse than Miracle Man or Cows of October.

Inarguably one of the worst episodes of Vice' date=' but I'm still not convinced it's worse than Miracle Man or Cows of October.[/quote']"Miracle Man" and "Cows of October" are both terrible episodes...but "Missing Hours" is by far WAY WORSE! :thumbsdown: Despite the stupidity of "Miracle" and "Cows", at least the plots of what was going on was understood...but nothing made sense or was understood in "Missing"! :rolleyes: :radar:"Missing Hours" is like some really bad version of an old "B" Ed Wood movie (which I didn't think was possible to do before this episode), or a really bad SNL spoof of an "MV" episode. :evil:A couple other terrible episodes, but still not as pathetically horrible as "Missing" are: "Viking Bikers From Hell" and "Everybody's In Showbiz". :sick:

I think fans (over)react to the badness of Missing Hours because its story is so out there and so absolutely not "Vice." And it IS a terrible episode. But in terms of following its own logic, however faulty it might be, and holding up, no matter how flimsily, from a story perspective, I still think Miracle Man and Cows are worse. We're talking by a matter of degrees here, but still worse. Not than anyone on the internet wants to hear anything about subtle differences.

I think fans (over)react to the badness of Missing Hours because its story is so out there and so absolutely not "Vice." And it IS a terrible episode. But in terms of following its own logic' date=' however faulty it might be, and holding up, no matter how flimsily, from a story perspective, I still think Miracle Man and Cows are worse. We're talking by a matter of degrees here, but still worse. Not than anyone on the internet wants to hear anything about subtle differences.[/quote']When it comes to "Missing Hours" I'm definitely reacting...but I'm definitely not over-reacting. ;) You're right, that one is definitely not "Vice"...but there are other episodes that are not traditional "MV" too and I actually really like them! "Missing" isn't anything at all...but utter garbage. :sick: That's it's problem...none of it makes any sense, it's not funny nor captivating in any way, there's nothing interesting about it, etc... Again, even "B" sci-fi movie director Ed Wood would probably cry with this one. :cry: It's like some crack-heads decided to try and write an episode about alien abduction and this is what they came up with. :rolleyes:"Miracle Man" and "Cows of October" are stupid and pathetic episodes too...but believe it or not people have fought over supposed rare or sought after bull sperm for superior breeding purposes. Also, sadly there are crazies and "weirdies" that think they're some other person or alter ego...including vampires and/or animals! :eek: So, even though they are terrible episodes, the degrees of "Cows" and "Miracle's" plots holding up actually surpass "Missing" by quite a lot."Missing Hours" is not just the worst episode of the "MV" series...but it possibly might be the worst episode ever produced in TV history! :eek: I truly don't think I've ever seen an episode of any show (and I've seen and have tons) this terrible...no exaggeration, either! It's off the radar in utter stupidity and nonsense. :radar: This may sound like over-reacting...but it's also true. :thumbsdown:

• 11 months later...

Here's my words on this.I was curious on how bad it was so one morning I watched it on TV.As soon as that guy freaked out in the teaser I knew then "Oh boy" and switched off because I was embarrassed to see my favorite show go like this.The scene that made me shake my head the most was when the sky changed and James Brown comes in with Trudy says (as if she wasn't surprised to see him) "Lou DeLong".Right there it was game over it just got too surreal and stupid with cheesy effects and EVERYTHING!It was embarrassing to watch Trudy charge in the OCB singing and carrying on,I bet the cast there was wanting to walk out of this from shame!

0/10 IT WAS NOT VICE!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really didn't like this ep. Quite interesting plot, but not for Vice. I also thought, that Noogman's last appearance would be as good as in 'Cool Runnin'. I felt disappointed.

• 11 months later...

So I finally got to watch this infamous episode, and it's definitely deserves the harsh criticism because the episode does poorly on muliple levels:  1) the use of science fiction by having unexplainable phenomena, 2) the plot logic (or lack of it) within this episode which makes one to question if it was UFOs, a secret government operation, or all just a bad dream of Trudy's, 3) the "out of body" hallucinating experiences which were over the top in special effects, 4) the tone of the episode trying too hard to make it suspenseful or mysterious but failing to do so and coming across as corny.

Before I begin starting on it, I would really like to know how this episode reached approval in the first place.  (Does anybody know by chance?)  How was a science ficiton writer (who was the writer of the episode), Thomas M. Disch, even considered for Miami Vice?!?  It's so bad that even Olivia Brown in the E! True Hollywood Story (you can find it still on YouTube) highlighted this one particular episode on how bad things had become in the writing. lol

If some thought the episode "The Big Thaw" was unnecessary with it's use of bordering into sci-fi themes, well this episode dwarfs "The Big Thaw" with "Missing Hours" amplifying it to an extreme.  If it was shown to be a covert government operation, where all of the phenomena could be explained, I could have accepted the episode, but so much of the story seemed so desperate.  Desperate in wanting to be intriguing, suspenseful, and mysterious with the special effects, Trudy's mental condition, bizarre objects eliciting fear in Akers and Trudy, and unexplained twists that crippled the plot of the episode where the logic fell apart.  Many of the scenes that were supposed to give a sense of creepiness, inadvertently became humorous to the deteriment of the episode in terms of how ridiculous the events were becoming, and taking the show so far off (in terms of tone and subject matter) to what Miami Vice was about.

It baffles me how the executives in the show approved of this script, but maybe it was a reflection of just how desperate the production staff wanted to try something new.  I understand that the production staff wanted to do lighter themed episodes, and it kind of did with "The BIg Thaw", but with "Missing Hours" it makes the viewer question if this episode is to be taken seriously or humorously?  Because on one hand you have the humor of the characters, the bizzare "I Feel Good" hallucinations, the use of peanut butter within these hallucinations, the funny sequence of events when Crockett and Tubbs try to arrive at the motel to see Rona Akers, but then on the other you have the terrifying mental state of Trudy recollecting her hallucinations, Trudy feeling the patch on her head, and being struck with fear at the end of the episode. ....So am I supposed to find this episode funny or somewhat scary due to Trudy's mental condition?   Ugh... it's just so uneven and bad.

By the way.... was Travis actually the UFO (since he had telekinetic powers on that houseboat) or was it Lou Delong (James Brown's character) since he caused Trudy to hallucinate?  ...And how is it that Trudy could hallucinate a second time with Lou, when her other co-workers were around, and didn't do anything to intervene?  (Or maybe the insertion of that hallucination sequence was out of place... **shrug** I don't know...)  Or was that all a dream?   Ugh... it's too frustrating to even bother figuring out.

To sum up, the episode is horrendous not only in conflicting with Miami Vice in terms of subject manner and tone, but just the writing itself as an episode alone.  If they wanted to have lighter themed episodes, maybe they should have focused on Gina and Trudy's friendship more (which was shown a bit here).

• 1 year later...

All I read here is :   - 10, horrendous, worst episode etc.

I gave "Missing Hours,"  4 / 10.  Yes, it was far out, silly, pointless.......but I am a fan of Miami Vice!

Even in this episode, I find some good things that make me laugh or display the actors' talent. I cannot, as a true MV fan, just give it a -10 and move on.

I love Miami Vice and will dig until I find the flecks of gold among the rocks.

• Like 1

The only reason, I "defend" this episode is because it goes deeper with displaying Trudy and Gina's friendship, like Vice Immersion also mentioned something about and shows of more of Olivia's acting skills, it's only a shame that it had too be in such a surreal episode. There were some moments, I enjoyed and tend to think of it as "Trudy's dream." Only the ending ruined it with that possibility. It's supposed to look like a dream and yet... But of course this episode should have never been made.

Edited by summer84

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2011 at 10:23 PM, MrsEvanFreed said:

Missing Hours....What happens when dog shit lays out, gets hard and turns white and dusty.-10Oh and who the hell rated this clusterfuck a 10?

Brutal but succinct... +1 on that. :p

I find this the only Vice ep that is completely unwatchable, not only because of its ridiculousness in having anything to do with Vice, but also because of its standalone absurdity in any format. Throw in C list actors like Chris Rock, goofy special effects that are laughable, and then witnessing the seemingly reluctant performances of DJ and PMT. It is a shame that a Trudy-centric ep had to be this far off base.

• 9 months later...

Ok three things I like. The scene between Crockett and Tubbs, the line "I'm just checking you for a zipper", and Trudy's outfits. Damn.

No comment on the rest.

1.5/10

12 minutes ago, Remington said:

Ok three things I like. The scene between Crockett and Tubbs, the line "I'm just checking you for a zipper", and Trudy's outfits. Damn.

No comment on the rest.

1.5/10

wow such a low score :hippie:

2 minutes ago, Remington said:

I gave it an extra half point because of Trudy in her purple dress.

Only Half ?!:hippie::D

On 5/21/2017 at 1:02 PM, Remington said:

No comment on the rest.

1.5/10

This is not only the worst episode of the entire series...but in my opinion probably the worst episode of any TV show in TV history!! I've watched a lot of TV, and I truly cannot think of any episode of any show that is this pathetic and just plain utter garbage!! :thumbsdown: The writers were truly on crack when they farted this one out. Here are some of my, and other's, past thoughts (first one I misunderstood the voting numbers and wished I could have changed my vote :rolleyes:. Although the language in MrsEvanFreed's comment is pretty rough...she nails it :)) :

On 5/24/2010 at 9:59 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Okay...now I'm mad! I voted a 1 for this episode...not realizing that the 10 above it meant -10--I would have voted that! :evil:Anyway, even though technically my vote is a 1...I'm changing it here to a -10! "Missing Hours" is the worst, most pathetic, stupid, ridiculous, boring, bizarre, piece of "MV" televised trash to ever unfortunately grace the screen during the series!! :sick::eek:"Missing Hours" is the worst episode of the series ("Cows of October" runs a close second) and never should have been filmed or included. I think the writers were sampling that "Miami Snow" while thinking this one up! ;)I hardly ever watch this episode when going through my DVD sets! It's just too irritating and stupid! :thumbsdown:

On 6/20/2011 at 10:23 PM, MrsEvanFreed said:

Missing Hours....What happens when dog shit lays out, gets hard and turns white and dusty.-10Oh and who the hell rated this clusterfuck a 10?

On 3/24/2013 at 1:14 AM, ViceFanMan said:
Mentioning this episode in another thread, I had to come back and still agree with my above post! "Missing Hours" was garbage and again I think the writers were on some of Calderone's "product" when attempting to write an episode. :p I think I last watched this one when the DVD set first came out...and I forced myself to watch it as I wanted to watch every episode on the DVD sets to see how "remastered" and improved they really were. What I found was most of the episode content with each one had been re-done and very "superbly"...however a lot of the openings to the episodes, with the theme song, had not been. Anyway, before the DVD set the last time I watched this was probably around 1996 or so on the cable network fx, which was airing reruns at the time. The first time I ever saw it, unfortunately, was when the episode first aired. It was bad enough then...but like a rotting piece of meat, it only gets worse with age! :wuerg: Oh yeah, and by the way...my vote is still a -10, even though I originally voted a 1 not realizing the 10 above it was negative-10!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Awful.  Just plain awful.  I am a fan of paranormal shows, but the master tape of this episode should have been flushed down the toilet!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't even need to say it.. 

The writers was on crack when they wrote this piece of shit and you gotta be high on crack to enjoy an inkling of it.

Shame it was Noogmans last time on the show, he deserved a way better send off.

-9999999999 / 10 :evil: :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Detective_Crockett said:

I don't even need to say it.. 

The writers was on crack when they wrote this piece of shit and you gotta be high on crack to enjoy an inkling of it.

Shame it was Noogmans last time on the show, he deserved a way better send off.

-9999999999 / 10 :evil: :thumbsdown:

Totally agree!! I don't think there's enough crack in the world to enjoy this! Despite the fact that it is one of the most pathetic plot ideas...it doesn't even make sense--you can't even follow it! Although it too is pathetically stupid, at least with Cows of October you understand what's going on. Missing Hours is truly off the radar of sanity. :radar: It leaves you going--what the "heck"...huh?? ?(

Im currently going through MV again...and once again I skipped over this piece of TV garbage! :wuerg: :thumbsdown: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Totally agree!! I don't think there's enough crack in the world to enjoy this! Despite the fact that it is one of the most pathetic plot ideas...it doesn't even make sense--you can't even follow it! Although it too is pathetically stupid, at least with Cows of October you understand what's going on. Missing Hours is truly off the radar of sanity. :radar: It leaves you going--what the "heck"...huh?? ?(

Im currently going through MV again...and once again I skipped over this piece of TV garbage! :wuerg: :thumbsdown: 

All the crack to enjoy this episode is locked up in OCB evidence :)

• Like 1