Episode #75 "Missing Hours"

Ferrariman

Wouldn't even have been a good enough episode for Quantum Leap.  The wrong material for Vice but it was still a poorly constructed UFO episode.

If they wanted to go down this road it should have been creepy or a bit surreal instead of goofy silliness.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After binge watching & seeing this show for the first time? I can concur that this was the single worst episode of the show. Really enjoyed the show but this was extremely out of place. First off (and this will sound bad) but I tuned out when episodes focused on one of the two female detectives. They just didn't have the spark for me compared to Don Johnson, PMT or Edwards James Olmos. Second it was just outright confusing. I couldn't give you a straight answer as to what happened. Some of the visuals (the photo-shop looking visual of her face posted on James Brown's body) do not hold up at all.

I think I get why they did this. They probably got notes about Season 3 being too dark/nihilistic thus someone pushed for a few lighter/sillier episodes. Or they tried to do what X-Files would much later do...from time to time X-Files would have a silly/comedy episode among most of its serious material (ala Jose Chung's From Outer Space)...the peanut butter part of this instantly reminded of a silly thing they would put into a comedic X-Files episode. But this was the absolute wrong way to approach it.

And hey...if you want Miami Vice with Aliens? Then just watch the film Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace with Dolph Lundgren (personal favorite of mine). It has buddy cop material, action, style and even has a great Jan Hammer score that will remind you of the show.

• Like 3

I will never understand the reason for this episode...I’ve said it a million times & I’ll say it a million more—WORST episode not only of MV, but of any show in TV history! :thumbsdown: 

But some other shows in the 80s did their “alien-crap” episode, too that also didn’t mesh with what the show was about—including Dukes of Hazzard! It’s like, what the heck were you people thinking? ?( MV or Dukes are 2 shows that that kind of sci-fi ridiculousness just doesn’t work. :baby:

But, there’s something about “Missing Hours” that makes it stand-out as the worst (not only alien but any kind of) episode ever! :wuerg: 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

But some other shows in the 80s did their “alien-crap” episode, too that also didn’t mesh with what the show was about—including Dukes of Hazzard! It’s like, what the heck were you people thinking? ?( MV or Dukes are 2 shows that that kind of sci-fi ridiculousness just doesn’t work. :baby:

I remember that well. Scared the crap out of me! :) (I was what, 5 or 6?)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I will never understand the reason for this episode...I’ve said it a million times & I’ll say it a million more—WORST episode not only of MV, but of any show in TV history! :thumbsdown:

A sad fact. The only other episode I can think of that I thought was equally as bad was this one Law & Order episode focusing on gamer girls and some ridiculous topic like it. But yeah, the sci-fi episode is one I always skip on a rewatch or marathon, going so far as to telling my friends who are newcomers to the show to skip it as well since they're missing out on absolutely nothing here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

A sad fact. The only other episode I can think of that I thought was equally as bad was this one Law & Order episode focusing on gamer girls and some ridiculous topic like it. But yeah, the sci-fi episode is one I always skip on a rewatch or marathon, going so far as to telling my friends who are newcomers to the show to skip it as well since they're missing out on absolutely nothing here.

I too almost always skip “Missing”...it’s not worth even ‘contemplating’ the idea of watching it again! ;) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I too almost always skip “Missing”...it’s not worth even ‘contemplating’ the idea of watching it again! ;) 

I have only watched it once for 2 minutes and turned it off, the intro alone was ridiculous. Noogie and Izzy acting like Power Rangers wft? Did exactly the same with Cows Of October and The Big Thaw.

Looking at clips an reviews I saved myself some time to watch better things.  

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I have only watched once for 2 minutes and turned it off, the intro alone was ridiculous. Noogie and Izzy acting like Power Rangers wft? Did exactly the same with Cows Of October and The Big Thaw.

Tbh though, Cows of October wasn't that bad. I mean, it sure didn't feel like Vice but I'll take it over sci fi crap anyday pal.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I have only watched it once for 2 minutes and turned it off, the intro alone was ridiculous. Noogie and Izzy acting like Power Rangers wft? Did exactly the same with Cows Of October and The Big Thaw.

The Big Thaw is somewhat goofy...but I’ll watch it over Missing Hours or Cows of October. The creepy but cool, old abandoned school Izzy had his lab in (for some unknown reason they tried to make it an old nursing home in the episode??) and the music sort of “save” Thaw for me...I like old abandoned buildings to explore and photograph. ;)

13 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Tbh though, Cows of October wasn't that bad. I mean, it sure didn't feel like Vice but I'll take it over sci fi crap anyday pal.

Cows was pretty bad...it would be the worst episode of the show, but lucky for it Missing is worse:p I agree, though...I’d watch Cows over Missing. :done: 

Cows was bad, yes I know it was. The only thing that saved it for me was Izzy's character. I think if they didn't include him I'd skip it like Missing Hours as well lol.

3 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Cows was bad, yes I know it was. The only thing that saved it for me was Izzy's character. I think if they didn't include him I'd skip it like Missing Hours as well lol.

I actually don’t really like the “stupid-funny” aspects that they tried to interject into MV sometimes—mainly Izzy & Noogie. ;) They annoyed the crap out of me and that kind of slap-stick goofiness just didn’t fit in with a “darker” (for the time), grittier crime-drama. But between the 2, I’d definitely take Izzy. However, he didn’t save Cows anymore than the plot about bull semen for a show like MV, lol. :p The only thing that “saved” Cows from being the worst episode is how terrible & deplorable Missing is! :wuerg: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Suffered through this episode once again after a few years.  This one actually kept my attention better than some episodes, probably due to the ridiculous plot and "what will they think of next?"  I think they could've totally rethought the whole episode and the main premise (UFOs) would've worked.  Regardless of whether you believe or not, UFO's are seen by tons of people, and there are people who really believe they have been abducted.  I did enjoy the scene of Crockett interrogating  Akers wife.  The episode could've begun the same and then been based on the couple giving testimony about their abduction encounter.  Maybe have an abundance of hallucinogenic drugs on the streets that the OCB team is also dealing with that further gives them doubts about the abduction.  Hold off seeing anything supernatural/paranormal to the end, leaving it somewhat open-ended.  Just my 2 cents....I'm no screenwriter.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Suffered through this episode once again after a few years.  This one actually kept my attention better than some episodes, probably due to the ridiculous plot and "what will they think of next?"  I think they could've totally rethought the whole episode and the main premise (UFOs) would've worked.  Regardless of whether you believe or not, UFO's are seen by tons of people, and there are people who really believe they have been abducted.  I did enjoy the scene of Crockett interrogating  Akers wife.  The episode could've begun the same and then been based on the couple giving testimony about their abduction encounter.  Maybe have an abundance of hallucinogenic drugs on the streets that the OCB team is also dealing with that further gives them doubts about the abduction.  Hold off seeing anything supernatural/paranormal to the end, leaving it somewhat open-ended.  Just my 2 cents....I'm no screenwriter.

Lol...“suffered” would be the accurate word, in my opinion! :p I Detest this episode with a passion...despite it being about supposed aliens & UFOs, it didn’t even make sense! 

I acknowledge that lots of people say they’ve seen UFOs...however, many later have been proven to be hoaxes or lies (whether by the person reporting the sighting or by someone else & the “sighter” didn’t realize what was going on). Personally I do not believe in aliens (nor Big Foot :)).

But I don’t necessarily totally doubt the existence of some “UFOs”. I believe governments (whether U.S. or others) have forms of aircraft that we know nothing about, and test flights or actual missions are sometimes what people see. The government then relies on society’s fascination with sci-fi and so-called flying saucers to keep the attention away from reality. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

.....But I don’t necessarily totally doubt the existence of some “UFOs”. I believe governments (whether U.S. or others) have forms of aircraft that we know nothing about, and test flights or actual missions are sometimes what people see. The government then relies on society’s fascination with sci-fi and so-called flying saucers to keep the attention away from reality. 

The X-Files dedicated 11 season to proving this right! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...“suffered” would be the accurate word, in my opinion! :p I Detest this episode with a passion...despite it being about supposed aliens & UFOs, it didn’t even make sense! 

I acknowledge that lots of people say they’ve seen UFOs...however, many later have been proven to be hoaxes or lies (whether by the person reporting the sighting or by someone else & the “sighter” didn’t realize what was going on). Personally I do not believe in aliens (nor Big Foot :)).

But I don’t necessarily totally doubt the existence of some “UFOs”. I believe governments (whether U.S. or others) have forms of aircraft that we know nothing about, and test flights or actual missions are sometimes what people see. The government then relies on society’s fascination with sci-fi and so-called flying saucers to keep the attention away from reality. 

I used to be into the whole UFO/alien research, but I'm kinda where you are on the issue now.  Most likely air force/gov't craft.  Bigfoot, however, a different story.  Maybe season 4 should've had Crockett and Tubbs on a stakeout for the elusive Skunk Ape.  Think "Glades: Part 2".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I used to be into the whole UFO/alien research, but I'm kinda where you are on the issue now.  Most likely air force/gov't craft.  Bigfoot, however, a different story.  Maybe season 4 should've had Crockett and Tubbs on a stakeout for the elusive Skunk Ape.  Think "Glades: Part 2".

Lol!!! :) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Soon as James Brown showed up I bailed. Not that I have an issue with James Brown. It just started getting too ridiculous. I get the feeling the cocaine from the OCB's evidence locker was being kept in the writers room instead. 

Edited by zidders
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 3:12 AM, zidders said:

Soon as James Brown showed up I bailed. Not that I have an issue with James Brown. It just started getting too ridiculous. I get the feeling the cocaine from the OCB's evidence locker was being kept in the writers room instead. 

Agreed...I think Papa Legba’s stash specifically! :p

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly can't help but love Missing Hours. It's just so surreal and crazy plus I generally enjoy the look and feel of season 4 more than any other season. Like Dick Wolf I prefer the episodes that are a little offbeat.

Anything with Izzy in, no matter how much screen time he gets, is fine in my book :D

Edited by IzzyFan99
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, IzzyFan99 said:

I honestly can't help but love Missing Hours

I watch the first scene because the Jan Hammer song is really good and doesn’t appear anywhere else in the series. Then I skip right on to “Hurricane”. I have to do a lot of fast forwarding in that one. Lots of cringe. 

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

I watch the first scene because the Jan Hammer song is really good and doesn’t appear anywhere else in the series. Then I skip right on to “Hurricane”. I have to do a lot of fast forwarding in that one. Lots of cringe. 

That's another episode I'm quite fond of. I adore Sheena Easton =) That said, Missing Hours is probably the one I'd rather watch if I had to choose between the two. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, IzzyFan99 said:

That's another episode I'm quite fond of. I adore Sheena Easton =) That said, Missing Hours is probably the one I'd rather watch if I had to choose between the two. 

To each their own, Friend.  I’d watch any episode of MV over some of the trash on TV these days.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, btw! :clap:

Edited by Dadrian

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

To each their own, Friend.  I’d watch any episode of MV over some of the trash on TV these days.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, btw! :clap:

I hear you, buddy. 

Thanks! I'm going to introduce myself properly later on. I get the feeling that my views on some of the less popular episodes are going to perplex quite a few people on the site, but it's always nice to connect with fans :)

• Like 2