Episode #74 "God's Work"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

To me it was brave to make a ep about the then controversiol toppic of aids.But the ep in itself isn't one of my favouritesJust some things that stand out to me:Rico:It is all part of the overhead. Smiling Castillo at the coffee standWell chosen music by the scene the priest got shotI loved the boat chase scene and the music by that sceneSonny acting like a teacher with the pointing stick in the tactic room.But I cannot put my finger on it this ep misses something I just do not know what.a 6 for me.

Guest neworder

Pretty standard episode. Awesome boat chase, nice scene when Castilo and C&T are sat at the bench with the fantastic scenery in the background and PMT performs very well in his scenes. Everything else is a waste of time, but that boat chase is top class so 6/10.

"God's Work" is another serious episode with no humorous relief. I guess they want to prepare us for Missing Hours- next. Crockett's part is noticeably small in this ep! But that gives room to Rico, Gina & especially Castillo. Marty smiles & even laughs a couple times with friends at the expresso shop. What a treat! The story explores the attitudes towards aids & how families, even crime ones dealt with h***sexuality 20 yrs. ago. Jorge's wife metted out justice to her husband for killing her brother! Too bad she wasn't a better shot. Pastels are back on Sonny & beautiful Miami home & water scenes. This is not one of my favorite episodes, so I don't watch it too much, but it holds my attention & the acting was strong, so I rate it 8/10.

A dull episode with a poor storyline. The undoubted highlight is the fantastic speedboat sequence. Gorgeous scenery. Brill stuff.I also really liked the scenery when Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo were talking. But apart from that, this episode is weak.Overall, a ho hum episode. 4/10

• Like 2

I have never liked that episode so much, but when I watched it last week, I really liked it. I liked the storyline and music. So I will give it a 9.

I give this episode a strong 8. I found it to be very compelling, as the Cruz family was ultimately torn apart once the truth of Jorge's brother-in-law was revealed.

Episode 74: God's WorkWell let's put it this way, the boat chase later in the episode is awesome, but everything else plus the cheap attempt at social commentary is El-Cheapo-You-Can-Keepo, it's soap opera level trash with a cool boat chase.Score: Boat Chase on it's own: 7, rest of episode: Nothing.

• 1 month later...

agent 47,I couldn't have put it better myself.I completely agree with you on that episode.The only redeeming feature is the boat chase.The rest of the episode just doesn't hold my attention and is easily forgettable.My score is :5\10

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't justify liking this ep other than having one of the most epic boat chases on the show like everyone else mentions. But thinking back it does have some cool shots like going around the table while C&Ts & Castillo talk & also the forklift hangar scene(thats from this ep right?) is not bad even though its play "find the stunt man who looks nothing like tubbs" game. Castillio has a few cool lines too.7/10 being generous.

• 4 months later...

Beautiful Episode!!I seem to be in the "minority" and/or in disagreement with most of the other members who've voted on this one...but that's okay. Not that many members have voted on this episode & to each his or her own...and I stand by mine. ;)This is a beautiful, beautiful episode...one of season 4's best!! I'm surprised they did an episode about such a taboo or controversial issue at that time---AIDS and homosexuality. But, I also think they were brave to do it, and I think they did a superb job! The sadness, emptiness, and destruction AIDS causes people and their families/friends was truly shown here. But, so were those who, regardless of their beliefs or feelings on the matter, wanted to help and try to make things better for everyone. This was a more "realistic" and darker episode of "MV"...so maybe that's why some fans don't care for it. But, despite the realism and "dark" tones...it's still a very captivating, heart-felt, and in-depth one! This was also around the time when President Reagan officially declared AIDS a national epidemic (as the government had put off doing so until they basically had no choice to ignore it anymore). So, I think this episode was trying to tackle that subject in a realistic and heart-felt way.I'm not even going to attempt to go into the topic of whether homosexuality is wrong or not...that's not the point I want to make, and I probably would end up angering one or both sides. But, I will say I'm a Christian and believe in and try to follow the Bible...I will not leave that out just because it might irritate someone else. But, a large part of being a Christian is loving others--hence the title and Father Lupe's motto: God's Work. The plot of this one was excellent and captivating :glossy: ...but it was also tragic and sad. :cry: I thought the acting was superb, and everyone did a fantastic job!! Actors Roseanna Desoto, Alfonso Arau, etc...were awesome! But, I thought Esai Morales (Felipe Cruz) and Daniel Lugo (Father Ernesto Lupe) did exceptionally outstanding jobs!! :clap: The amount of love but yet pain and turmoil those two were experiencing were very realistically portrayed and you truly felt for them. However, one issue I do have is, if Felipe had been in a homosexual relationship with Louie Garcia not long before, and Louie is dying of AIDS...then Felipe darn well better be getting himself checked for HIV/AIDS! :eek: Even in 1987 that would have been a must. He probably did...but it wasn't mentioned or shown. The scene where Felipe tries to comfort Louie, as Louie dies, is so sad and heart-wrenching :cry: , but the acting and performances were amazing! :clap:I love the turmoil realistically shown within the Cruz family "itself", and I can only imagine what it would be like to be raised in a family like that...crime, money, power, the B.S. macho crap, and all....all engrained as the most important aspects in life. :cry: Then you have Felipe and Father Lupe who know better...and are willing to sacrifice everything to help those they love and care about. I like the twists in the plotline regarding the Cruz family...trying to guess whether or not Felipe really did return to oust his moron, hot-headed brother & take over the family business...or does he have another reason for returning home?I also really loved Castillo's part in this...and his past with Father Lupe! Then he ends up taking up Father Lupe's cause, after the priest was shot. I never would have pictured that one...but even Castillo recognized the need for the AIDS clinic, and the care Lupe had put into helping the AIDS patients. But, how many times did we see Castillo truly laugh out loud for a length of time? The scene were he and Lupe were having a drink and laughing about old times, and some baseball league (church/police ones?) was beautiful! :glossy: You really saw how much Castillo and Father Lupe loved and cared about each other, as well as each other's causes.I also really liked the colors (some pastels were included again such as Crockett's teal boat & the Cruz goon's pink boat, as well as the Cruz party at the beginning), lighting, fashion, cinematography, etc...in this one! The music too, was outstanding! :radio:As usual Jan Hammer's themes are always "MV" in its truest sense, but Nine Million Rainy Days by The Jesus & Mary Chain was superb!! :done: I also loved Yen and Yang and the Flower Pot Man by Love and Rockets during the awesome boat-chase scene. :clap: A song called Mambo Terrifico by Cal Tjader I think was also included...and I believe was played at the Cruz's party towards the beginning.The ending is truly captivating, and ironic that Maria Lupe Cruz ends up being the one to shoot and try to stop her own husband Jorge...as she realizes what the family had become, had imploded on itself with the lies, corruption, and destruction, and it was an amazing scene! The very last scene was also "appropriate" and fitting...as Castillo put the handcuffs on Jorge Cruz, saying "Jorge Cruz, you are under arrest for the murder of Father Ernesto Lupe." He got to arrest the killer of one of his best friends. :done:Again, the plot, acting, filming locations, colors, lighting, music, directing, and even the cars (as Tubbs' Caddy was showcased a lot in this one, and Felipe had an awesome old I believe early 70's (judging by the front grill) white Jaguar XKE Convertible! :thumbsup: ) were superb--a very powerful and wonderful episode!! This, "Death and the Lady", "Love At First Sight", and "Child's Play" are my favorites of season 4 (as well as some of my favorites of the series)---and I gave this one a 10!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is a beautiful" data-date=" beautiful episode[/B">

...one of season 4's best!! I'm surprised they did an episode about such a taboo or controversial issue at that time---AIDS and homosexuality. But, I also think they were brave to do it, and I think they did a superb job! The sadness, emptiness, and destruction AIDS causes people and their families/friends was truly shown here. But, so were those who, regardless of their beliefs or feelings on the matter, wanted to help and try to make things better for everyone. This was a more "realistic" and darker episode of "MV"...so maybe that's why some fans don't care for it. But, despite the realism and "dark" tones...it's still a very captivating, heart-felt, and in-depth one! This was also around the time when President Reagan officially declared AIDS a national epidemic (as the government had put off doing so until they basically had no choice to ignore it anymore). So, I think this episode was trying to tackle that subject in a realistic and heart-felt way.I'm not even going to attempt to go into the topic of whether homosexuality is wrong or not...that's not the point I want to make, and I probably would end up angering one or both sides. But, I will say I'm a Christian and believe in and try to follow the Bible...I will not leave that out just because it might irritate someone else. But, a large part of being a Christian is loving others--hence the title and Father Lupe's motto: God's Work. The plot of this one was excellent and captivating :glossy: ...but it was also tragic and sad. :cry: I thought the acting was superb, and everyone did a fantastic job!! Actors Roseanna Desoto, Alfonso Arau, etc...were awesome! But, I thought Esai Morales (Felipe Cruz) and Daniel Lugo (Father Ernesto Lupe) did exceptionally outstanding jobs!! :clap: The amount of love but yet pain and turmoil those two were experiencing were very realistically portrayed and you truly felt for them. However, one issue I do have is, if Felipe had been in a homosexual relationship with Louie Garcia not long before, and Louie is dying of AIDS...then Felipe darn well better be getting himself checked for HIV/AIDS! :eek: Even in 1987 that would have been a must. He probably did...but it wasn't mentioned or shown. The scene where Felipe tries to comfort Louie, as Louie dies, is so sad and heart-wrenching :cry: , but the acting and performances were amazing! :clap:I love the turmoil realistically shown within the Cruz family "itself", and I can only imagine what it would be like to be raised in a family like that...crime, money, power, the B.S. macho crap, and all....all engrained as the most important aspects in life. :cry: Then you have Felipe and Father Lupe who know better...and are willing to sacrifice everything to help those they love and care about. I like the twists in the plotline regarding the Cruz family...trying to guess whether or not Felipe really did return to oust his moron, hot-headed brother & take over the family business...or does he have another reason for returning home?I also really loved Castillo's part in this...and his past with Father Lupe! Then he ends up taking up Father Lupe's cause, after the priest was shot. I never would have pictured that one...but even Castillo recognized the need for the AIDS clinic, and the care Lupe had put into helping the AIDS patients. But, how many times did we see Castillo truly laugh out loud for a length of time? The scene were he and Lupe were having a drink and laughing about old times, and some baseball league (church/police ones?) was beautiful! :glossy: You really saw how much Castillo and Father Lupe loved and cared about each other, as well as each other's causes.I also really liked the colors (some pastels were included again such as Crockett's teal boat & the Cruz goon's pink boat, as well as the Cruz party at the beginning), lighting, fashion, cinematography, etc...in this one! The music too, was outstanding! :radio:As usual Jan Hammer's themes are always "MV" in its truest sense, but Nine Million Rainy Days by The Jesus & Mary Chain was superb!! :done: I also loved Yen and Yang and the Flower Pot Man by Love and Rockets during the awesome boat-chase scene. :clap: A song called Mambo Terrifico by Cal Tjader I think was also included...and I believe was played at the Cruz's party towards the beginning.The ending is truly captivating, and ironic that Maria Lupe Cruz ends up being the one to shoot and try to stop her own husband Jorge...as she realizes what the family had become, had imploded on itself with the lies, corruption, and destruction, and it was an amazing scene! The very last scene was also "appropriate" and fitting...as Castillo put the handcuffs on Jorge Cruz, saying "Jorge Cruz, you are under arrest for the murder of Father Ernesto Lupe." He got to arrest the killer of one of his best friends. :done:Again, the plot, acting, filming locations, colors, lighting, music, directing, and even the cars (as Tubbs' Caddy was showcased a lot in this one, and Felipe had an awesome old I believe early 70's (judging by the front grill) white Jaguar XKE Convertible! :thumbsup: ) were superb--a very powerful and wonderful episode!! This, "Death and the Lady", "Love At First Sight", and "Child's Play" are my favorites of season 4 (as well as some of my favorites of the series)---and I gave this one a 10!! :thumbsup:

Yup...definitely one of my favorites! The acting performances, music, colors, cars, etc...all of it was superb!

• 2 years later...

Not a lot of people here liked this episode, but for me it was one of the 2 or 3 best of season 4. It felt like it could have fit in with the first 3 seasons. Serious topic they tackled. It just feels like Miami Vice to me compared to the dark, weird and sometimes silly episode's of Season 4

• 1 month later...

I quite liked this episode for one reason that it tackled homophobia in a way that we had not seen previously since 'Evan'. For the matter of sign of the times, watching it in today's age, the new generation might be taken back by the whole aids scare that was huge in the 80's. 

An episode revolving around a crime family such as Cruz, I only wish had been explored a little better. What was the business? We get the mention of merchandise early on but it don't really go anywhere. This could have possibly been expanded to several episodes and a real take down of a crime family.

I'll give it a 6 out of 10. Right in the line of mediocrity. 

I agree it had such a 1987 feel about this episode - and with the content producers obviously trying to tackle current isues at that time. A nice episode 7/10:dance2:

• 1 year later...

This one is one of my favorites, particularly from season 4. Putting aside the courage to tackle the aids issue, this episode feels like it would fit in season 1 or 2 at least in terms of how its shot (locations, colors, etc). Most of the gang has something to do (particularly Gina and Castillo), there's a cool boat chase even if it is superfluous, and there are several impressively-shot scenes, Of course I'm a little bias because they use a Jesus and Mary Chain song (one of my favorite bands, particularly back in the late 80s). 

Looking at the first six episodes of season 4, (5 of which are good IMO), it feels as if Vice was trying to change from an action show to a police procedural. Not exactly the same Miami Vice of the first three seasons, but still interesting.

Is it me or do I agree with ViceFanMan a lot?Because this is a beautiful episode.

First off, like Evan, it's pretty ballsy with its subject matter. I think it is shameful about how people treated the clinic. Jesus said not to judge just fyi. BTW, I'm a Christian but have ZERO problems with homosexuality.

Anyway, I'm also a fan of Esai Morales as well as the actress who played his mom. Wasn't she in La Bamba?

The scene where Ernesto is killed was well done.

Itdoesn't have much action. However, I love the forklift scene and boat chase.

The climax is pretty tense.

9/10

1 minute ago, Remington said:

Is it me or do I agree with ViceFanMan a lot?Because this is a beautiful episode.

First off, like Evan, it's pretty ballsy with its subject matter. I think it is shameful about how people treated the clinic. Jesus said not to judge just fyi. BTW, I'm a Christian but have ZERO problems with homosexuality.

Anyway, I'm also a fan of Esai Morales as well as the actress who played his mom. Wasn't she in La Bamba?

The scene where Ernesto is killed was well done.

Itdoesn't have much action. However, I love the forklift scene and boat chase.

The climax is pretty tense.

9/10

Yes I also enjoyed 9/10 with a great 1987 feel :hippie:

• 1 year later...

Just watched this one again.  I remember not liking it so much the first time around but it has improved with repeat viewing.  I'm surprised this ep doesn't get talked about more, by critics and fans,  given the subject matter.  Sort of a distant cousin to Evan.  Esai Morales returns in a different role.  He goes a little hammy at times but still pulls it off.  We get more of Castillo's past and sense of social justice and get to see him be friendly.  Platoon alumnus Francesco Quinn comes in in a very different role than Rhah.  I'm a fan of Jesus and Mary Chain and Bauhaus/Love And Rockets and they were used well here.  Cool boat footage with Sonny, especially on the turns.  Tubbs and Gina are very good in this ep.  So is Stan since he's a little more subdued.  He can afford to dial it down sometimes.  I was kept guessing about who exactly the real killer was so the ep did its job there too.  They did a good job of presenting the topic of AIDS and homosexuality without getting preachy, which is a difficult line to walk.  The ep ends with an arrest instead of a full shootout which is a nice touch of variety.  Not the best or a favorite but a decent mid-level episode (especially considering what comes next).  I'd say 5 or maybe 6 out of 10.  Also I noticed a lot of ADR for EJO in this ep as well as the use of fog filters which I know we'll get a lot of later.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 1