Episode #73 "Child's Play"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I liked this one as it really shows Sonny's emotional state and how he thinks about Billy.9 for me.

• Like 1

I never post my thoughts or comments on these polls, cause, unlike a great majority of our member's, I am not good at all at analyzing and commenting on these types of threads.However, with this episode I have made the exception.To me, this is a very powerful episode, and one that I am engulfed with from start to finish. It allows, at least me, to see a side of Sonny that was hardly if rarely ever seen.Here, I have posted my thoughts from the "Which Episode & Why Do You Watch Over & Over" thread. It says it all for me.What I love the most about this episode, is what shooting this child does to Sonny. His acting in this one particular episode has me crying from the moment he shoots the child, till the last scene where he is sitting with his son in the car.Sonny's character was always strong willed. But in this episode, a side of him as a father comes into play. And that side was rarely shown, but only a few times. The way he was disturbed about having shot this child. The way he just took on caring for this child's medical needs, trying to get blood for him, a gift from the Dolphins. Sitting at his bedside day in day out. How he fought for him, give him the voice that the child didn't have.And how it made him realize that he had his own son that he had been sort of neglecting. Even though Caroline had moved him away. And that he had just been making up excuses, like not wanting to be close to his son because he was worried about how all this, his life, would affect him. It just broke my heart when Billy told Sonny, "So I don't get to see you because you're worried about me?", as if he didn't believe his father. Almost saying, without the use of words, there is no excuse for not wanting to see or be with your son whom you say you love.My thoughts & feelings have been unwavering when it comes to this episode. So, I gave this episode a 10/10.

• Like 3

I rated this ep a 10.To me it is one of best written and best acted ep.Everytime when I watch this ep I discover a new layer in the story or in the relationsships. Maybe I am mistaken and is it a camera trick but in the scene with Sonny and the LT even Sonny eyes are acting in to another colour. ( I do not know if this is a proper English way to say it so I hope you understand what I mean)I like the fact that finaly LT Castillo lets his emotions out and said he cares about Sonny. The looks that are exchanged between the two men are perhaps more powerfull then the words they say.The way Sonny is dealing with the fact he shot a child to me is verry moving and I think Maria said all the things I wanted to say about it.I also think the camera work in this ep is very well done! I like the way the colours are used in this ep.

This is such a powerful episode with so much going on. Maria, you put things quite well. Sonny having to deal with shooting a child in a situation I feel he wasn't at fault, dealing with the consequences, the realization his ex-wife is moving on, he being not the father he had hoped to be, the touching conversations between he and Rico, finding out Annette and Walker are not the people who they appeared to be, the very powerful scene between Sonny and Martin as Martin told sonny of what to expect with the feelings of shooting the child, and it should, eat you , burn you, yet the both have such high respect for one another. The fact that Sonny stays in control thru all this-even when he goes to the shrink's office and sits, and says nothing still says he's in control. I did chuckel when Rico does his president peace sign, though..There is a serious vibe to this one, yet the Hammer score is awesome, I'd kill for Sonny's wardrobe in this episode as it was stunning all through-out. I agree, excellent camera angles, dialog, Sonny's emotions, evrything. I know I'm missing a few things, yet this one is a home run! 10 from me...I also wonder, who gets the car....Mike:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

• Like 3

Guest neworder

Decent episode, strong story and strong acting performances all round. Loved the scene in the bar where Crockett nearly looses it, the arms deal with Tubbs was great, and the scene where Castillo and Crockett have a big chat is also strong. Castillo was great, telling it how it was; you can always rely on Castillo to point out the obvious however awful it may be. Jan Hammer’s music was fine etc etc. I do however dislike the U2 song towards the end, it’s a weak track. Also some of the scenes with Crockett in the hospital with the boy, although necessary dragged on a bit. Overall, very good episode though; 8/10.

My original review of Child Play Posted: 15 October 2007 at 6:57pmI wrote the first part of this review for a discussion we were having on Chronicles after I had first seen this in 2001 I've added the music and other comments today. This episode is one of my favorite 4th season episodes. I rate it a 9. Some may think the acting by DJ on this is over the top, but I think it's some of his best acting in the show. Sonny is trying to cope with shooting a child. He feels remorse about it, he's second guessing himself about it, and he's mad as heck it happened to him and the kid. I thought he showed a natural tendency on Sonny's part to reach out to his family. He did it in the pilot when his world turned upside down after he found out his old partner had betrayed him and Tubbs to Calderon. He calls Caroline to make sure everything that went before was real. To me in Child's Play he not only wants to reach out to his kid and verify that his own kid is real and safe, but before he was confronted by the reality of Bob and Caroline, I think he wanted more assurances from Caroline. Naturally when he meets Bob and then gets hit with the proposed adoption, he's smacked right back into the situation of his real life. He needs to rebuild his relationship with Billy, and he needs to deal with the shooting of the kid and also deal with Caroline isn't his anymore. I also liked Castillo in this episode. He reached out to Sonny when Sonny needed it, not an easy thing for a private man like Castillo to do, but he did it. I wonder if Marty had a similar situation. when he told Sonny about it burning and scaring him and it should it sounded like Marty was talking from experience. He also stood up for Sonny when politics and high pressure were trying to make Sonny the scape goat (to give these peoples something.) I thought Sonny's reaction to finding out that Jeffery McAlister wasn't who he thought he was but a kid with a record from Chicago was interesting. It didn't make a difference to him that he actually had shot a perp and it was a good shoot. He felt the kid would be a part of him for the rest of his life, and was angry that people weren't praying or supporting Gordon a real kid, but a fictitious kid who didn't even exist, and put him on display, and used him to further their own agenda. Again we see Sonny's hatred of psychiatrists. an interesting scene was the scene where Sonny did go to Deliilo's office sit down across from him in a chair against the wall for several minutes and then walked out without saying anything. I also liked the way Rico backed up Sonny in this whole episode but especially with the Doctor when Sonny quietly threatened the doctor that he'd be watching, and again when Walker tries to talk to Sonny. The whole friendship thing between Rico and Sonny was evident just another example of how one thing happens to one the other one is affected in some way. The ending bothers me a little but I felt it was pretty realistic. Here Sonny along with the rest of OCB squad is chasing this low life, and Walker accidentally falls off the roof and is able to hang on for a few seconds. Sonny flashes on the events Walker caused: Threatening to kill the woman, the kid covering him from the other room, and Sonny's reaction by shooting in self defense and having to go through this whole thing. That moment's hesitation may have made him a little too late to save Walker from falling to his death. By the look on Sonny's face, he didn't consciously elect not to save him, but his slight hesitation probably did cause Sonny to fail from keeping Walker from falling to his death. The music was very good in this. Mostly Jan Hammer and we get another variation on Crockett's theme and return of Crockett as he's driving along the street Caroline lives and arrives at her house. Also when Crockett is on the St. Vitus looking at Billy's picture drinking and listening to the newscast of him shooting the boy Crockett's theme is very appropriate. I also like the light hearted music in the beginning of the episode when Crockett and Tubbs were on Surveillance and were trying to help Sweiteck from being rolled. They recycled the Dream (from Death and the Lady) to be playing in the background when they met Holiday at the bar. Tubbs was right Sonny was barely undercontrol and he was about to lose it. I thought DJ portrayed this very well. Not only the violence but the quick cocking of his gun and saying "do it. do it." It was evident that Sonny just wanted an excuse to shoot something to make him feel better. (maybe he should have gone to the shooting range like he did in one way ticket) Later during the last chase I think it was U2's "race against time" was fitting as Walker was racing against time. Walker was racing against time of freedom, one way or another he was going down. The music also lent additional tension to the scene. We also see Gina's concern for Sonny almost the first thing she does is ask the Lieutenant about help for Sonny. She also looks wistfully at him as he ignores her and everyone but Rico as he exits the review room. He only has one thing on his mind Finding out how the boy is. Later on when he comes back to work after being out a day Gina is the first one to greet him and ask him if he's alright. This time Sonny replies politely, but then gets irritated when everyone else proceeds to ask him. I noticed Trudy was about to when he gets up and gives the "I'm OK Announcement" which was a little humerous. I think Castillo had the best line though when Gina asked why a gang from Chicago would move to Miami. Castillo says "because it's cold there." I did laugh at that. 3/30/2010 - I recently watched this episode again as it's one of my favorites. I really can't think of anything to add, except I think I'll change this from a 9 to a 10. Each time I see this I like it more and more, and think DJ, Philip, and EJO all did excellent jobs in this episode.

• Like 1

Well we went from slapstick comedy (which not many MV fans liked) in "The Big Thaw", to heavy drama in "Child's Play." Every vice detective except for Gina got some good exposure in this ep! Crockett is consummed with guilt for having shot a youngster, who was trying to shoot him, as is finally confirmed near the end. DJ does some great, believable acting as he is tormented that he shot an innocent kid & that he isn't the father he should be to his own son, Billy. I was impressed that Sonny was willing to pay the kid's hospital bill out of his meager savings & salary. The OCB was really concerned with Crockett's mental state & kept bugging him about how he was getting along, which only angered him. Walker, the live-in boyfriend, got his just desserts when he fell to his death as Sonny tried to reach him & pull him to saftey on the water tower. It was a gripping episode & I rate it 9/10.

Best Castillo speech in seriesI gave it a 9/10. I lean to the conservative side of voting, and I only recall ever having awarded one perfect "10." (Thanks to my unashamed biases for Definitely Miami). In agreement with the story's central theme, Crockett has taken a sort of unauthorized absence in order to travel to Ocala. It's a fruitless trip to assuage the continuing difficulties with his ex-wife, who now wants sole custody of his son, and his son himself, who grows distant. Both of these dilemmas compound and add to the troubled detective's roiling struggle with guilt, having earlier shot an armed youth. In minutes 30:00 - 35:00, we see one of the most notable scenes of dramatic tension in the whole series when Crockett reports to Lt. Castillo for a closed-doors meeting, a true "come to the Lord" type of session. In true Castillo fashion, the defenses of the heated and headstrong Crockett are shattered - through Castillo's spa rse yet poignant truths - and rein in Crockett. What a turning point! This triumphant restoral of Crockett's sense of duty is an early first climax and its somewhat surprise timing accelerates the remainder of the show. The mise-en-scene, the collective elements of style and mood are the perfect backdrop for the terse meeting. The darker synth notes/harmonics evoke the somber and mysterious demeanor of so many Venetian-blinded (or 80s glass-blocked) detective offices, and the finality of Crockett's admonishment. Perfect, perfect, perfect!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I give this story a very healthy 8. It really tapped in to Sonny's emotions. Having to deal with shooting a child who was lured into a life of crime and the swirl of sentiments he felt when he went to visit his son and ex-wife, not to mention finding more company than he expected. One of Sonny's biggest personal challenges in the series I found it to be. Rico's cover as a weapons buyer was very entertaining also, so was the final shootout to cap.

• Like 1

Episode 73: Child's PlayI have to be hinest, this episode gives me mixed feelings, while Don Johnson's acting here is award-worthy as this episode puts Crockett through one of his most emotionslly twisted events, the 2nd half where everything turned out to be coincidence was kind of over-the-top, not so much as the kid turned out to be a killer but Ving Rhames turning out to be invovled with the arms dealer Crockett and Tubbs were after in the first place.I score this at a 6.

• 10 months later...

As a Crockett and Tubbs fan...this episode really does get a high score from me. I think the performance of both DJ and PMT were excellent, and I give special commendation to PMT for his portrayal of the anxious partner...some of the looks he gives are excellent.The Good:

[*]Very emotional set up to the story; Sonny shooting a child, and his immediate reaction to that. I really liked the style of the moments after the teaser, seeing each person in turn and them recounting the events. I liked how anxious Rico was, and how he thought it might have been Sonny who had gone down. It's very clear that he is feeling guilty. DJ's acting is excellent, superb, and lots of other things at the same time!

[*]Great plot; Sonny shoots a child and has to deal with the emotional outburst of this. He does it very well, too.

[*]Involvement of Crockett's family; The reason why I like the other main police drama that Johnson did, Nash Bridges, was the involvement of his family. I like how, in this episode, Sonny really reconnects with Billy (if not Caroline, who has rightfully moved on.) I liked the fact that they returned, as I think it adds depth to Sonny's character and is the side that we do not see of him very often; the father.

[*]Stand-out performance by Castillo. Excellent.

The Bad:

[*]Once again, a very complicated storyline. I would have thought this episode would have been more emotional had Sonny actually shot the mother's kid, and then he would have had to deal with her as well. I thought the fact that it wasn't even her kid was added on, much as I thought the storyline in "Amen Send Money" was also too complicated. I understand that they have forty-five minutes to kill but...it just seemed to complicated and made the episode more confusing than it needed to be. Stops the episode getting a ten.

The Ugly:

[*]As I have already confessed to Christine :happy:, thought the beard was acceptable this week, so nothing to report here! Even Sonny looked okay. I know. I said it.

CrockettandTubbsness

[*]Overprotective Tubbs: Ah, Rico, Rico, Rico. He is at his best, I think, when is being the protective partner that he is. I loved him when they were first dealing with Holiday; the way he rushed over to stop Crockett with a shout of "Burnett" was interesting, I thought, especially with what happens at the end of the season.

[*]The first scene in the car; Great tension...there are times when C&T are at their best, and it's often when there is tension. I love how Sonny told him to find another partner, and then seemed to realise that his words were quite hurtful, and apologised. Strange analogy about holding two volleyballs under water...can anyone explain that one to me? A tense scene, but it has some real love and friendship in it. Rico's worried.

[*]The Music: In that scene, there was a beautiful combination of Crockett's theme and Tubbs' theme (Rico's Blues)...I thought it was very poignant, and certainly supported what Rico was saying about them being in it together :happy: I like the timing of the music in the scene too.

[*]Castillo's office: I like the scene before where everyone asks if Sonny is OK, and Sonny makes his "I am ok" announcement. He does seem to be a bit abrupt with Rico; I think the fact that he disappeared off the radar and didn't tell anyone may have peed Rico off a little. Watch Rico when Crockett and Castillo are having their talk in the office. He's watching Crockett the whole time until he answers the phone, and even then he is watching his partner. I think that's a nice touch by PMT there.

[*]Second scene in car; Good on Rico to come out with some emotion there! I don't want to be listening to him talk about the short and meaningful life of Sonny Crockett! And good that they diffused the tension toward the end with the joke about the car. I also liked the connection of the hands; it's a partnership that requires both of them, not just one.

Special mention to Castillo who once again proved that he clearly cares about Crockett, and was brave enough to...heh heh...."tell it like it is..."All in all, 9/10. Some excellent emotional development and Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo put in wonderful acting jobs. We can now see how burnt out Sonny is going to become as the season progresses. Thought the storyline was complex, but had no arguments. Lovely use of Crockett's theme throughout, and now I wish I had the partnership theme on CD!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

FantasticThis was one fantastic episode the acting was superb and really see Don/Sonny's feeling come out specially when it comes to kids even in real life also.It reminds me of another episode of vice and his caring for a child which I love also.Eingefügtes BildI also see the true feeling of his partner when Rico tells him in the cadillac I LOVE YOU now you know how deep there feelings were for each other.There were so many great moments like when Sonny goes into Castillo's office and is in tears such a emotional moment.Also when Sonny is with his son in the car a great Dad moment and see how much he loves his son.I also love when Sonny and Rico butt heads again in the cadillac after Sonny beats up a guy in the bar and Rico comfronts Sonny in the cadillac

• 1 month later...

This is another superb episode for season 4! Very emotional and heart-wrenching one for Crockett! :cry:The beginning is somewhat humorous...with the punk kids going around kicking, vandalizing, and robbing everything in sight. Then they try to "roll" Switek posing as a bum sleeping on the bench. Love it when he pops up finally and says to get lost...that he's trying to catch a few Z's. :)Then of course the episode takes a very "dark" and tragic turn...as the domestic abuse gets out of hand in the apartment next to Crockett and Tubbs. Crockett rushes in to find guest-start Ving Rhames as drug dealer, punk Walker Monroe holding a knife to some lady's throat. After pulling his gun Sonny suddenly sees someone else with a gun in a room off to the side...he shoots. It turns out to be a kid. :eek:The acting in this one is outstanding...especially by Don Johnson! :clap: But, right after the shooting I love how Gina is talking to Castillo about whether Sonny could maybe get some help or have someone to talk to, and Castillo says he'll take care of it. Again, this shows that despite the very eclectic group of Vice members, they all still love and care about each other like family. Also love Sonny's fish shirt...what was up with that? :D Kind of like it but it's definitely different than the normal fashion on the show. But, Crockett was very stereotypical about everything would be okay if he'd just be left alone to work and it would all go away...when everyone, including himself, knew that wasn't really true. Interesting and realistic aspects that make this episode awesome! Love the later scene between Crockett and Castillo...where Marty just lays it all down, saying of course shooting the kid will eat you up but you have to learn to live with it...that people love and care about him and he needs to let them help him get through it. Wonderful scene that really shows how much Castillo cares for Crockett! :clap: (Although in real life I don't think DJ and EJO cared too much for each other ;) )Interesting how Crockett tries to deal with the shooting by throwing himself back into work, but almost in a "blind" rage...and Tubbs has to "hold" him back. Wonderful scene between Sonny and Rico...where at first Crockett is mad but realizes that Tubbs was right. Tubbs then says he's with Sonny and will be there for him no matter what. Again the comradery and chemistry between the Vice members is also another amazing aspect that truly made this show special...not just the music, clothes, and cars. ;)I also really loved how Crockett suddenly takes on the responsibility of helping the kid he shot...telling the doctor to treat him like the president of the U.S. Then he feels like he needs to see his son after looking at a picture of him on his boat one night. Clayton Barclay Jones now takes on the role of Billy Crockett...do we know why there was the change from Ryan St. Leon? Anyway, the scenes between Sonny and Billy were outstanding and truly heart-felt...Billy is mad because his father is never around, now mom is marrying some new guy named Bob, who wants to adopt him. Crockett truly realizes how little time he's spending with Billy and needs to be a better father. This is just an amazing father-and-son episode, and it gets to me every time!! The scenes between Sonny and Billy are beautiful! :glossy: (A bizarre footnote...what is it with this show and totally un-original names with "side" characters? We have Billy, now we have Bob...I'm surprised some other occasional character wasn't named Billy Bob. :p However, I would hope that Billy's actual name might be William James Crockett...the James from Sonny's actual first name, and Billy is the traditional nick-name for William.)Anyway, the music in this one was fantastic!! :radio: The different variations of Crockett's Theme, as well as Forever Tonight, by Jan Hammer were superb! :thumbsup: I also liked the U2 song, Race Against Time, that was also included. But Crockett's Theme just "ruled" this episode and really brought it home, so-to-speak! :clap:Again, the acting in this is amazing and captivating--outstanding performances by everyone, but especially Don Johnson! Very powerful episode!! With an amazing plot, acting jobs, music, etc...this is another of my favorites of the season. I gave it a 10! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Brilliant episode, very emotional and great acting from Don Johnson. You can really feel how much this incident affected Crockett.It's actually quite shocking how only one episode before we had the terrible 'The Big Thaw' (admittedly I did laugh just how ridiculous/stupid The Big Thaw was), but this episode shows just how good Miami Vice can be.

• Like 1

Brilliant episode, very emotional and great acting from Don Johnson. You can really feel how much this incident affected Crockett.It's actually quite shocking how only one episode before we had the terrible 'The Big Thaw' (admittedly I did laugh just how ridiculous/stupid The Big Thaw was), but this episode shows just how good Miami Vice can be.

I agree great episode and Don :D  :)

• 5 months later...

Great acting and locations - we see under the pilot bridge near Overtown for the first time since the Pilot.

An improvement over "The Good Thaw" and a lot more serious - teleplay by Michael Piller who went on to work as a producer of Star Trek- Next Generation that year in 1987-1988.

:D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :radio:

• 2 weeks later...

Someone made this awesome video using a guitar solo from 'The Departed':

Well done Bilders for posting - thankyou  :dance2:  :balloon:  :dance: