Tim Truman Release is coming!

Tom

• Administrators
On 8/30/2017 at 10:33 AM, Remington said:

I'd like a release too but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

:thumbsup:

Gave up holding mine a few years ago.

• Sad 1

The issue (per Jan Hammer's manager) is that those cues belong to Universal, not the respective composers/performers. I guess maybe it's hard to get Universal to play ball for such a relatively small market. 

• Like 1

Tim Truman was meeting a guy from Universal for that reason and signaled that they will support but after a while nothing happened. No clue what is the issue with Universal as no mixing or record company is needed to prepare the stuff for release, i.e. Zero cost of publishing. Truman told me that he had stored all cues on DAT (digital audio tape) in 1989 and it would be only a matter of hours to upload that stuff for release.

• Like 1

I think maybe Jan started storing everything on DAT in season 3. Notice how so many season 3 and 4 cues (original and redone from 1 and 2) turned up on the second disc of the CC? :birdie:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I think maybe Jan started storing everything on DAT in season 3. Notice how so many season 3 and 4 cues (original and redone from 1 and 2) turned up on the second disc of the CC? :birdie:

Plenty of stuff from season 3, but there's still almost nothing from season 4 been released. The only cue we've had is Hammer's wedding piece. Granted most of the stuff from that season was actually Petersen's work, and his music has even less chance of seeing a release than Tim's :)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Jan had the same issue as Tim as Universal owns the rights. He circumvented the issue by re-recording all scores for the CD. Obviously that is a labor of love given the effort needed (and reason why he will not release more). Thus it was irrelevant for the track list choice where he stored the cues originally.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

God damn it, every time I see a notification for this thread I get excited that something's been announced :)

But yeah, I've always liked Truman's music. I especially appreciate how he didn't just try to copy Hammer but instead went in his own direction. It was all the better for it.

16 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

God damn it, every time I see a notification for this thread I get excited that something's been announced :)

But yeah, I've always liked Truman's music. I especially appreciate how he didn't just try to copy Hammer but instead went in his own direction. It was all the better for it.

Sorry to get you all excited over nothing!

Looking at how long ago this thread was started, and how long Vice has been off the air... it seems like a pretty lost cause. Just thought I would ask. Man, I'd be happy as hell if all the Truman scores were available. At least we have Jan Hammer, who in my opinion was better.

• Administrators

It's been so long I think Tim Truman forgot all about it. I personally e-mailed back and forth with him a few years ago and sorry to say it was always promises promises but nothing ever happened.  I would've rather he told us flat out that it wasn't gonna happen instead of keeping us hanging on.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ferrariman said:

It's been so long I think Tim Truman forgot all about it. I personally e-mailed back and forth with him a few years ago and sorry to say it was always promises promises but nothing ever happened.  I would've rather he told us flat out that it wasn't gonna happen instead of keeping us hanging on.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I appreciate the Naked Eyes and Kim Wilde puns :D

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
vor 5 Minuten schrieb sdiegolo78:

All Tim Truman musical cues can be found on you tube but quality isn't that great. You can even hear voice dialogue in the background.

14 of them were once released by Tim himself on myspace, without any dialogue and in CD quality. Two songs were among them, No way out and Help me through the night. The third song, Everything´s inside of me can´t be released, because Universal lost the original master tape Tim gave them after they placed the track in the episode.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom said:

14 of them were once released by Tim himself on myspace, without any dialogue and in CD quality. Two songs were among them, No way out and Help me through the night. The third song, Everything´s inside of me can´t be released, because Universal lost the original master tape Tim gave them after they placed the track in the episode.

Man please share the “CD” quality with me! What I have is like 1990s “streaming” quality. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:06 PM, Dadrian said:

Man please share the “CD” quality with me! What I have is like 1990s “streaming” quality. 

I'm sure I've got the bootleg on my hard drive somewhere, although "CD quality" is pushing it. It sounds good enough though. PM me.

Edited by Leigh Burne

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Leigh Burne:

I'm sure I've got the bootleg on my hard drive somewhere, although "CD quality" is pushing it. It sounds good enough though. PM me.

You´re right. As far as I see it: Tim has it on DAT. He uploaded it on myspace in 2007 most likely in normal MP3 quality (128 kbps back then was defined as "CD quality", today it would rather be 192). So, yes, it´s CD quality and not really at the same time, but I guarantee you that no normal ear will hear the difference between 128 and whatever, as Tims DAT originals were first rate.

Even as a musician who has made many recordings, I struggle telling difference in kbps, haha. I mainly tell difference in EQ. I can also tell the difference between a muddy old recording and a crisp digital recording.

Most of my recordings on YouTube are 128kbps, but in M4A/MP4 format. Worried they sound like shite now. :shout:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Even as a musician who has made many recordings, I struggle telling difference in kbps, haha. I mainly tell difference in EQ. I can also tell the difference between a muddy old recording and a crisp digital recording.

Most of my recordings on YouTube are 128kbps, but in M4A/MP4 format. Worried they sound like shite now. :shout:

You're right @AndrewRemington :D Audio on YouTube is compressed (to around 126 kbps AAC), which in itself isn't such a bad thing but the quality beetween uncompressed audio track in WAV (or in lossless format (FLAC) and compressed YouTube audio is noticable. For home condition you should use higher bitrate (256 or 320) if you want CD Quality mp3s.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

You're right @AndrewRemington :D Audio on YouTube is compressed (to around 126 kbps AAC), which in itself isn't such a bad thing but the quality beetween uncompressed audio track in WAV (or in lossless format (FLAC) and compressed YouTube audio is noticable. For home condition you should use higher bitrate (256 or 320) if you want CD Quality mp3s.

Ah true! I guess another thing to keep in mind is that I purposely try to make my recordings sound old. I use some secret techniques to make them sound analog, like from a cassette tape or reel-to-reel. :radio:

Edited by AndrewRemington

• 2 months later...

I was looking for Tim Truman because for many years I'm trying to get his guitar riff from Melrose Place and it has never been released. They made a stupid Melrose Place CD containing only the opening theme and some others uninterested songs. I really don't understand why it's so difficult to get an album with his soundtracks. I'm a fan of Millennium show which is also from 90ths and they released an album with Mark Snow songs without any problems and stress. It's so annoying because there is a market demand for something that they have available but for some mysterious reasons they can't release it. I hope I can have access to it while I'm still alive. They're losing an opportunity to make money with a generation that won't be here for long. 20 years waiting for something so simple like that. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

@Marcos welcome to the site!

Did Tim even play guitar, or did he use Michael Thompson on the MP song like he did for the season 5 MV score?