Unreleased Jan Hammer cues from Miami Vice

Crockettt

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

He has said something like “maybe”—like not a total “no”. 

ok then we'll just have to keep bugging him... :) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

Has Jan Hammer ever said if he could imagine converting yet another batch of unreleased cues into published tracks?

It's probably a big amount of work involved (and he appears to be a busy guy still these days),  he said in an interview a few years ago that he had to reconstruct many of the previously unreleased Complete Collection tracks pretty much from scratch or from the old studio tapes and then run every single one of them through Cubase. Maybe that's something that's not worth the effort all over again for the small fan base of his work on Miami Vice.

Here's another track that would have deserved being released IMO...

The mid-section of this cue (from 0:40), in its more pared down version from "Golden Triangle" (Tubbs and Castillo checking the Thai restaurants for recent immigrants) was my phone ringtone for some time, about 13 years ago... :)

I always liked this version from Season 2s "Payback" and the quality of this piece is extremely good - I also have this version on my phone but not as a ringtone!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

He has said something like “maybe”—like not a total “no”. 

We need to turn that "maybe" into like a total "yes". I mean JH has just turned 70. 

Edited by Matt5

I used to have Crx Theme, but it was the inferior 2004 version. 

Edited by Dadrian

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Vincent Hanna:

Does everyone here have a MV related ringtone? could only find Crocketts theme myself:D

You could just take a freeware wave editor and cut a section from a track you like and turn it into a ringtone yourself.

If I understand you correctly that the problem is that you can't find ready-made  Miami Vice ringtones on the web.

My ringtone nowadays is still "Made For Each Other" by Junkie XL and Jan Hammer. That guitar riff is just really pretty awesome and one of Jan Hammer's best-ever :thumbsup:

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

You could just take a freeware wave editor and cut a section from a track you like and turn it into a ringtone yourself.

If I understand you correctly that the problem is that you can't find ready-made  Miami Vice ringtones on the web.

My ringtone nowadays is still "Made For Each Other" by Junkie XL and Jan Hammer. That guitar riff is just really pretty awesome and one of Jan Hammer's best-ever :thumbsup:

Great track - did JH record that for this track In 2010?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Great track - did JH record that for this track In 2010?

Yes. He collaborated with Junkie XL for Junkie’s “Fairlight” EP. 

Pretty cool!

On 4/1/2014 at 10:41 PM, Crockettt said:

Here you go :)

These are outstanding, esp. Robbie’s theme.

Wait, 1.1M views? I guess the forum members were all looping these over and over ;)

Thanks!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cageyJG said:

These are outstanding, esp. Robbie’s theme.

Wait, 1.1M views? I guess the forum members were all looping these over and over ;)

Thanks!

Thankyou for posting - the “Dorothy’s Theme” from Buddies, also from Season 4s Deliver us from Evil and Season 3s Forgive is our Debts, is fantastic !:hippie:

12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yes I wasn’t keen on that 2004 version either - it sounded cheaper if that makes sense. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

You don't mean the "Jan Hammer Project feat. TQ" version though, do you?

(halfway decent rap cover version IMO; not spectacular, but something like this could have turned out so much worse... :p)

5 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

You don't mean the "Jan Hammer Project feat. TQ" version though, do you?

(halfway decent rap cover version IMO; not spectacular, but something like this could have turned out so much worse... :p)

That TQ version was released in 2006 by JH just before the big screen Miami Vice movie. The “Crockett’s Theme” version Dadrian and I mentioned was released in 2004 on Jan Hammer’s “Best of Miami Vice “ cd.

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

oh ok... I wasn't really aware of a 2004 version...

Just had a listen to it on youtube... yeah... there's just a few things off about it... it just doesn't compare to the original.

Here's another cue that would have been good for a released track of its own...

I think it was used to the most effect in "Evan", where it underscored Evan's emotionally volatile character as a man on the brink...

I also like this cue... really pared down, just a Linn  and a few Fairlight harmonies in the background...

Also, just randomly found this on youtube... somebody using a very similar drum pattern to create his own Vice-style track... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The guy in the last video there is a friend of mine. He has all the synthesizers Jan used for Miami Vice, yet uses none of them in that video :) (except for the Linn). 

He’s a nice man, and has a great YouTube channel—very inspiring to me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 12:05 PM, Dadrian said:

The guy in the last video there is a friend of mine. He has all the synthesizers Jan used for Miami Vice, yet uses none of them in that video :) (except for the Linn). 

He’s a nice man, and has a great YouTube channel—very inspiring to me!

Really interesting - now cool!

The “French Twist” cue is nearly 4 minutes long ..,. the beat is that like a bossa nova?

This theme was all over this episode. Great track.:hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...