Miami Vice season one dvd set...rereleased!

agent 47

I read that season one was a three disc double sided disc set, people complained(including me about season two) about this because the episodes would skip and freeze up which kept me from buying the first season for the longest time. Well, when I got out to the car, I checked the discs(old habit) and it's a six disc set! I was like whoa! I was worried about getting this set because the double sided sets suck, but it's a six disc set! Did any of you guys know about this? I got mine at Best Buy in Gainesville, Florida if you live in or near there, they had about four copies left. Online still lists it as a three-disct set, a couple of other best buys in Florida also supposed to have the set. If they have season two there, compare the boxes, the new season one set is almost 2 times thicker than the season two box set. (they also had season two but it isn't a six disc set, it's the regular three disc set.)NOTE: Post updated due to my horrendous typing.

• Administrators

Seasons 3-5 were all 5 disc sets and when they came out with the 5 season complete series set even seasons 1 & 2 were 5 disc. I always assumed that eventually individual season 1 & 2 sets would be available in 5 disc as well. For anyone buying seasons 1 & 2, if your not sure how many discs you're getting just match it up with any set from seasons 3-5. If season 1 or 2 is the old style double sided discs the package will be slightly thinner.This is all based on region 1 discs. You said 6? Then I assume your region 2?

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. Disc one has the first two episodes and five documentaries, the other five discs have four episodes each.NOTE: Noted.

• 4 months later...

I was in a Best Buy, and they have the original double sided discs for 22.99 this week. But then i was in another one today. one of them was the original, but then there was another copy, and it was thicker, and looking at the top, the disc arrangement looks like the season 3-5 arrangement. However, on the back it still says "double sided", instead of "dual layer".

I was in a Best Buy' date=' and they have the original double sided discs for 22.99 this week. But then i was in another one today. one of them was the original, but then there was another copy, and it was thicker, and looking at the top, the disc arrangement looks like the season 3-5 arrangement. However, on the back it still says "double sided", instead of "dual layer".[/quote']I was in BB last weekend, and they had both S1 and S2 on sale for $22.99 Both were double-sided...

Yeah i was on the fence about buying it seeing if it was the updated version or not. I'm still unhappy to say the least that my original is degenerating or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update you guys on the season one box set, I just received my season four box set in the mail today. I compared the sizes of the boxes, the season one 6-disc box set is slightly thicker than the season four box set, the 6 disc season one has a thicker opening flap (it has the cover image printed on it) than the season four box set.NOTE: Single-sided discs = awesome.

• Administrators

Yes, but are they single sided? I guessing yes since you said 6 disc's. Correct?And is season 2 single sided?

the only trouble i've ever had out of my S1 double sided discs is that the tabs that held them onto the spindles were not cut correctly and the discs were next to impossible to remove from the case. eventually, the inner ring of the dvds cracked on a couple of discs causing them to not work in some dvd players. i have since took a knife and shaved the spindles off a bit so that the discs remove easily. i wish i'd done this from jump city. now i have cracked discs.did anyone else have this problem?regardless, i'm glad to see this thread. i've been needing to replace them anyway. this is just another reason to head out to Worst Buy (sometimes anyway) and experience buying season one all over again!! :dance:

• 1 year later...

Check "Smuggler's Blues".....is the beginning still real dark? Actually the most of the episode on DVD is dark. When Crockett and Tubbs were on the bridge watching the dealer I can barley see them. Also, when Crocket and Tubbs goes to meet the Lieutenant and the other guy it’s real dark. Now when I watched it on Centric a few weeks ago it was bright. I could see the color shirt Tubbs had on. Sucks!!! I am glad I dvr it….my favorite episode.

• 3 months later...

So chances are if I were to go to say, Walmart and buy Seasons 1 & 2 I would be getting the single sided discs even though the packaging back says dual-sided discs? If that's the case I am going to kick myself because I passed on buying Season 1 about 2 weeks ago for 10 bucks at Walmart because it still said dual-sided on the back lol. I checked Amazon.com and they still list both of them as 3 disc sets also. Anyone have any recent info on the situation?

• Administrators

Probably left over 3 disc sets they are trying to get rid of. I bought the "Complete Series" in the alligator skinned case just to get the single sided discs for seasons 1 & 2. Got the whole thing for $39.95 from buy.com so it was worth it. One way you might be able to tell is if they have seasons 3,4 or 5. The single sided 3 disc set should be a bit slimmer than a 6 disc set if you hold them next to each other.

I took the chance today for 10 bucks at a nearby Wallyworld. They are, in fact, the 3 double-sided discs. There were no other sets of the show in the store to compare it with either unfortunately. You're probably right - Universal and/or Walmart are just selling off what they had left. Hopefully these will play long enough for me to copy them to some blank DVD-DL's and I won't have to worry about Season 1 - just Season 2....aaargh! You got that complete series collection for a steal, Ferrariman. Good one.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone confirm whether or not season 2 got a single-sided 6-disc release (besides the complete box set, of course)? For the life of me, I can't find a copy in 6-disc form! On the other hand, season 1 is quite easy to locate; Target usually has several, but they are often interspersed with the original double-sided releases.The 6-disc sets are easy to identify. Like others have said, you just have to check the width of the box. Another way, which I find easier, is to look at the top of the box and look at the center of plastic disc-hubs. If it's the 6-disc case, it will have indentations in the center where the discs meet. Having said that, I am stumped on finding a 6-disc season 2...

• 2 months later...
Can anyone confirm whether or not season 2 got a single-sided 6-disc release (besides the complete box set' date=' of course)? For the life of me, I can't find a copy in 6-disc form! On the other hand, season 1 is quite easy to locate; Target usually has several, but they are often interspersed with the original double-sided releases.The 6-disc sets are easy to identify. Like others have said, you just have to check the width of the box. Another way, which I find easier, is to look at the top of the box and look at the center of plastic disc-hubs. If it's the 6-disc case, it will have indentations in the center where the discs meet. Having said that, I am stumped on finding a 6-disc season 2...[/quote']Where can you purchase Season 2 single-sided sets? I currently bought Season 1 after waiting so many years for single sided discs (and sold my old one) and can't wait for Season 2.Is there any way of getting it on Amazon? Could someone help me please? Thanks! :)

Where can you purchase Season 2 single-sided sets? I currently bought Season 1 after waiting so many years for single sided discs (and sold my old one) and can't wait for Season 2.Is there any way of getting it on Amazon? Could someone help me please? Thanks! :)

Here you go: SEASON 2 - 6 Disc Set

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I see they are releasing Seasons 1-2 on dvd again with Uv copies in Europe in early 2014 - but really this should be a blu ray release not yet another dvd release :thumbsup::cool::D

• 5 months later...

What do these DVD's have to offer that the others didn't?I fealt that the US releases should of had more goodies like most other TV-series DVD's.Im talking about photo gallerys,bonus features,hell maybe some postcard size commemorative photographs included in each season :evil:

What do these DVD's have to offer that the others didn't?I fealt that the US releases should of had more goodies like most other TV-series DVD's.Im talking about photo gallerys,bonus features,hell maybe some postcard size commemorative photographs included in each season :evil:

Good point - these rereleased dvd offer nothing extra - even the art work is the same 

Good point - these rereleased dvd offer nothing extra - even the art work is the same 

WHAT?!?Then whats the point,c'mon!In the words of Hank Hill "There better be a naked cheerleader under that bed!"