Griselda Blanco reference?

PalmTree

In the first few minutes of ep. 1 where Crocket is arguing w/ Corky Fowler about the supplier of the cocaine.  Corky says the following "...man forget HER".  We already know the "colombian" is male so what woman is Corky referring to?  Grisrlda Blanco aka La Madrina was at the time the numero uno cocaine queen of the cocsine business so Corky could very well have been referring to Griselda Blanco.

Edited by PalmTree

Interesting thought but if I remember the movie Cocaine Coyboys correctly, she was not really known to the public in 1984.  I guess the law enforcement advisers who worked with Vice could have told them about her but it's too much of a stretch.

I don't know but Corky says HER as plain as day shortly after the 9:00 minute mark.  Its funny because had he in reality been talking about Griselda he would indeed been blown up.

If you owed Griselda money...she'd kill you.  If she owed you money...she'd kill you.

Edited by PalmTree

Interesting thought but if I remember the movie Cocaine Coyboys correctly, she was not really known to the public in 1984.  I guess the law enforcement advisers who worked with Vice could have told them about her but it's too much of a stretch.

In Cocaine Cowboys they use a 48 Hours clip which "La Madina" is mentioned.  Who & what she is/was is clearly explained.

From what Rivi Ayala says if you were in the drug business in Miami in the late 70's / early 80's you def knew AND feared Griselda Blanco.

Edited by PalmTree

In Cocaine Cowboys they use a 48 Hours clip which "La Madina" is mentioned.  Who & what she is/was is clearly explained.

From what Rivi Ayala says if you were in the drug business in Miami in the late 70's / early 80's you def knew AND feared Griselda Blanco.

The guys who made Cocaine Cowboys just released a new LONG cut of the film called Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded. They cut out some scenes here and there, but added a gigantic amount of other stuff. The movie sort of seems like a fever dream because it sustains this crazy cocaine fueled story for hours.

Law enforcement in a lot of ways didn't really know who or where many of the players were back in the 70s and 80s, but they were highly aware of the damage and danger of women like Greselda Blanco were causing because she just kept murdering and assassinating people like crazy. Even the rumors about this woman even existing sent chills up people's spines.

Griselda Blanco was the cause of probably 80% of the murders during the cocaine wars.  At her peak she made at least 1 million dollars per day.  I always think of how much better Miami would be w/out the Marielito boatlift and the cocaine wars.  

Landmark Bank deposited over 600 million dollars in a time a bank its size would  normally deposit 12 million.

To give a better idea of how bad she was the Ochoas got Pablo Escobar to ask her to chill out.  She supposedly told them to F themselves.

Griselda Blanco was the cause of probably 80% of the murders during the cocaine wars.  At her peak she made at least 1 million dollars per day.  I always think of how much better Miami would be w/out the Marielito boatlift and the cocaine wars.  

Landmark Bank deposited over 600 million dollars in a time a bank its size would  normally deposit 12 million.

Miami had something like HALF or more of all the reserve currency of the United States because of the cocaine business. It is hard to wrap your head around that sort of number. The banking system is fractional and only a tiny tiny amount of actual physical money is ever created and used by the public. Yet, Miami had probably the majority of it. 

In the MV days the Miami fed res. deposited more money than all the other US reserves combined.

I am a HUGE obsessive fan of Cocaine Cowboys as is one of my friends. When I got into Miami Vice we both discovered the movie at about the same time and basically know the entire thing by heart. It would have been interesting to have been alive in Miami during the 70s and early 80s just to have seen what the drug culture did to the city.

• Like 1

In the first few minutes of ep. 1 where Crocket is arguing w/ Corky Fowler about the supplier of the cocaine.  Corky says the following "...man forget HER".  We already know the "colombian" is male so what woman is Corky referring to?  Grisrlda Blanco aka La Madrina was at the time the numero uno cocaine queen of the cocsine business so Corky could very well have been referring to Griselda Blanco.

I remember noticing that during a recent viewing so I just popped in the DVD, according to subtitles he says "Hey, what Columbian? Forget him, man." But cranking the sound up you can clearly hear Corky say her instead of him. I'm thinking since the subtitles say him it was probably a flub that they either didn't notice in editing or didn't have time to correct.

• Like 2

Very interesting premise and great observation here. To quote Tubbs " Maybe......maybe"

Jon Roberts of CC fame's wife Toni Mooney was actually in an ep. of MV.  The one w/ Powerstation in it.  She dances w/ Tubbs.

Edited by PalmTree

Jon Roberts of CC fame's wife Toni Moon was actually in an ep. of MV.  The one w/ Powerstation in it.  She dances w/ Tubbs.

You mean Toni Mooney, former Ford model and ex of the mega drug dealer? I saw a couple of references on the net about this, but I can't find any cast confirmation that she played the blonde at the bar that Tubbs dances with. (same one I mentioned in the thread Sexiest Woman of the Series).

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

If you want a shock check out the before/after pics of Ms Mooney.  Coke destroyed that chick.

Toni was in Whatever  Works  S2/Ep. 2.

Edited by PalmTree

• Administrators

I don't know but Corky says HER as plain as day shortly after the 9:00 minute mark.  Its funny because had he in reality been talking about Griselda he would indeed been blown up.

If you owed Griselda money...she'd kill you.  If she owed you money...she'd kill you.

Corky said, "What Columbian? Forget him, man. I got a whole new supplier man".

Not her, I am 100% certain and he says "him", referring to Calderone of course.

There's a story of a little colombian running ino a bank w/ (2) Macy's shopping bags overflowing w/ $100 bills dropping 10-12+ of them.  Someone pointed this out w/ the colombian very nervously  saying "...you can have them".  $1,000 in 1982 was a fair sized chunk of change.

Another story has another colombian running into a bank to get some help unloading his car loaded w/ several legal boxes filled w/ 6 million dollars.  Someone stole the car during the wait.  A guard asked "should I call the police?"  The colombian said "No, call me cab, I gotta get the hell outta here!"

Edited by PalmTree

In 1982 there were 44 american banks 32 foreign banks in miami.  Neither then nor now is there anywhere near the industry to require THAT many banks.  Besides the cocaine industry.

• 1 year later...

i was just watching the "reloadeded' version yesterday. i didn't know jon roberts had actually died. but i wonder how Toni Mooney actually got on miami vice while her guy was running drugs??

i was just watching the "reloadeded' version yesterday. i didn't know jon roberts had actually died. but i wonder how Toni Mooney actually got on miami vice while her guy was running drugs??

She got that part due to the fact that Jon Roberts knew the guy casting for Miami Vice. He also said he partied and did coke with the MV cast, and ended up having a discussion with a director who was telling HIM about how the drug dealers did their business. Jon Roberts had no respect for actors, hated them all... 

I recommend his memoir "American Desperado", such a great read  :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

You mean Toni Mooney, former Ford model and ex of the mega drug dealer? I saw a couple of references on the net about this, but I can't find any cast confirmation that she played the blonde at the bar that Tubbs dances with. (same one I mentioned in the thread Sexiest Woman of the Series).

Here she is (a few seconds from Season 2's "Whatever Works"):

Edited by Vice Immersion