Watched a Testarossa auction on t.v. today

cageyJG

Oh man... it was the white 1989 one - 12,000 miles, just a thing of beauty.  Four people were pushing it into the showroom.  Sometimes you see these auctions on NBC Sports Network regular cable, but not often.  They were saying about how much torque it had, what a comfortable car it was (comfy? Never expected that), and how maybe the market's picking up.  Anyway, was thinking of you all and had to let you know. 

Oh - $75K was where it left off, then programming switched over to int'l hockey.

Well with the Comfy thing, the countach, its main competitor back in the day had windows that would only roll down with a manual winder about a quarter of an inch, given the problems with early curved glass that could break when you closed the door on its forerunner the miura

and it had a hammer under the dash to break the windshield if the car ever flipped on its roof, as a safety feature.

and had you assume the italian driving position of your legs wide apart with the wheels sitting on your knees pretty much, like your sitting in a giant go cart

with no power steering, and no power brakes, meaning you needed excessive effort just to get the same kind of stopping power you would get with much less effort out of a car with power brakes.

and no rear visibility and italian air conditioning, and possibly no synchros in the gearbox for first, meaning you might have to double clutch, Clutch to N, Clutch to First, with the very heavy clutch just to get it into gear.

although I might be thinking of the miura with the synchros thing.

The TR by compairison was a godsend, still hard to drive but atleast you didnt need to hang out of the car to back into a parking spot

hell it wasnt until the diablo that it even reached the comfort levels of the TR.

I mean when you have someone in miami a few years ago taking the motor out of a countach and putting it on a wall (the car itself) you know its hard to drive, and I've never heard of anyone doing that to a Testarossa.

Edited by Kavinsky

Well with the Comfy thing, the countach, its main competitor back in the day had windows that would only roll down with a manual winder about a quarter of an inch, given the problems with early curved glass that could break when you closed the door on its forerunner the miura

and it had a hammer under the dash to break the windshield if the car ever flipped on its roof, as a safety feature.

and had you assume the italian driving position of your legs wide apart with the wheels sitting on your knees pretty much, like your sitting in a giant go cart

with no power steering, and no power brakes, meaning you needed excessive effort just to get the same kind of stopping power you would get with much less effort out of a car with power brakes.

and no rear visibility and italian air conditioning, and possibly no synchros in the gearbox for first, meaning you might have to double clutch, Clutch to N, Clutch to First, with the very heavy clutch just to get it into gear.

although I might be thinking of the miura with the synchros thing.

The TR by compairison was a godsend, still hard to drive but atleast you didnt need to hang out of the car to back into a parking spot

hell it wasnt until the diablo that it even reached the comfort levels of the TR.

I mean when you have someone in miami a few years ago taking the motor out of a countach and putting it on a wall (the car itself) you know its hard to drive, and I've never heard of anyone doing that to a Testarossa.

fantastic info - youre right I never heard anyone else do that to a Testarossa . Great videos  :D  :fireworks:  :done:  :dance: 

The funny thing is I'm a former member of the countach lovers camp, along with the viper, but like all things growing up you love the things that are bigger than life.

I mean that is why Wrestling is so popular with the kids, and why people loved the likes of Hulk Hogan, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, the warrior and Eddie Guerra, they were just bigger than life and people wanted a part of that.

Same thing with the Countach, Viper and Cobra.

even though Shelby couldnt give away cobras back in the day, its quite the opposite nowadays for that reasoning.

and if you ever drive an early viper, use 1/4th of the pedal at 2000 RPM by the way:

as the thing has 400 Foot pounds of torque on tap at as little as 1200 RPM, and a motor that weights one third of the cars total weight.

all cars not ment for the lead footed and inexperenced, with the countach though you might be able to get away with it given the weight of the controls.

Edited by Kavinsky