Episode #69 "Contempt Of Court"

Ferrariman

I always hated the show bringing back actors in different roles, but I will say that I enjoyed Stanley Tucci in season 4.  Great actor!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I always hated the show bringing back actors in different roles, but I will say that I enjoyed Stanley Tucci in season 4.  Great actor!

I wasn’t too bothered by actors coming back a second time (or third time, maybe?).

The show “Friday the 13th: The Series” only ran for three seasons, and guest star Denis Forest played four different guest villains! :hot:I really love the show, but it was quite low budget.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stanley Tucci makes a GREAT mob boss. Both this and "Blood and Roses" are very strong episodes. Too bad they killed the character, there was still room for one episode for a potential "Frank Mosca trilogy".

The more time goes by, the more I respect the Season 4.

Well yeah Missing Hours and Cows of October are quite bad but other than those this is a great season. 

On 5/20/2017 at 6:45 AM, Remington said:

It actually moves surprisingly fast. The only real flaws I can think of is the bland photography and the kid who played River's son. That final scene was painful to watch.

8/10

Yeah I gotta agree. The kid was a terrible actor. Absolutely horrible perfomance.

The young lawyer, however, performed well. That Mosca's steroid goon was hilarious too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like this episode...good plot, tragic but captivating story, but I will admit that I don't know if this one should have been the season premiere or maybe a different one? But, I suppose they were wanting to introduce the new bad-guy nemesis for OCB...Frank Mosca. 

But, the acting and filming locations (beach and others) were awesome! Stanley Tucci is a superb actor and I've seen him play all kinds of roles. But, he always seemed to play the perfect bad-guy/sleeze and/or assassin. I don't remember seeing this episode when it originally aired...but by Season 4, back in the day, I will admit that I was not watching MV as much anymore. So, the first thing I remember seeing Tucci in was the superb 1993 movie Pelican Brief--with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington! :clap: Tucci played the assassin of the Supreme Court justices...and ended up assassinated himself.

Anyway, I really like his Frank Mosca character...very much a modern day Al Capone, complete with a special cell with gourmet food, wine, and even jail guards catering to his every want. ;) The way this episode ended you knew Mosca would be back...and of course he returns in "Blood and Roses"...a much better episode and one of my favorites of Season 4. :thumbsup:

Overall I like "Contempt of Court" and it was a good episode...I originally gave it a 7, but if I could I might bump it up to a 7.5-8. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me watching this episode, it is sooooo boring. 3/10

See the source image

And that kid at the end on the court steps, talk about embarrassing acting.

Also I think Mosca is hammy, mob guys like Al Lombard, Johnny Cannata and  Frank Doss were subtle and authentic. Stanley Tucci was over the top and so was his jail cell, I mean in the real world you wouldn't be allowed to have your own silk pillow, smoke cigars and eat luxury food. 

Contraband comes to mind.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

This isn’t the best season premiere...but I know they were wanting to introduce the character of Frank Mosca. I enjoyed his ‘Al Capone/Don Vito Corleone’ style of gangster/mobster, and he was a good nemesis for Crockett & Tubbs during the season.

”Blood & Roses” was a much better & more enjoyable episode dealing with Mosca, but his character made an interesting bad-guy regardless of which episode he was in. Stanley Tucci was an amazing actor, and I usually enjoyed whatever I saw him in! :thumbsup: 

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

A lot of courtroom stuff which is not what I watch Miami Vice for, but this was reasonably engaging.  Stanley Tucci and Mark Blum made a despicable grandstanding pair of mobster and lawyer.  It was great seeing Steven Keats here; he was in several excellent 1970s films. (The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Black Sunday, etc.)

On the issue of continuity and season openers and finales in Vice - I'm OK with the show having a lot of stand-alone mini-movie episodes.  A lot of TV shows with grand schemes to their continuities over several seasons sometimes gets tiresome.  And as I'm watching these all in a row on DVD cliffhanger finales and "pow" openers don't really mean much!

Yes, true what I wrote a year ago. Definitely not a "pow" season opener. Too much cliche courtroom talk talk talk.  And if that's real that the accused can turn the court into a party house with jokes, food and tossing things around without the judge calling for order, then the system of justice is really a scam.  Frontier justice is really the only reliable way.  

Good to see Steven Keats in a Vice as I stated above, but it would have been more fun to see him playing a Jackie Brown type character again! 

12 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes, true what I wrote a year ago. Definitely not a "pow" season opener. Too much cliche courtroom talk talk talk.  And if that's real that the accused can turn the court into a party house with jokes, food and tossing things around without the judge calling for order, then the system of justice is really a scam.  Frontier justice is really the only reliable way.  

Good to see Steven Keats in a Vice as I stated above, but it would have been more fun to see him playing a Jackie Brown type character again! 

Grab your pillow when you watch this one, so f.....boring. Goes to show that Wolf was fully! in charge. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Agreed...not a memorable season premiere. However, as for a “joke” of the justice system—once in prison (before he was sent to Alcatraz) Al Capone had a special private cell, complete with gourmet food & wine, and special privileges (much like Mosca in this episode). Don’t know about the actual court proceedings...but, Capone did have a lot of the “system” wrapped around his proverbial little finger. But, once sent to Alcatraz, Capone lost all his “perks” and was almost purposely treated as low as the rest of the inmates.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:43 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Agreed...not a memorable season premiere. However, as for a “joke” of the justice system—once in prison (before he was sent to Alcatraz) Al Capone had a special private cell, complete with gourmet food & wine, and special privileges (much like Mosca in this episode). Don’t know about the actual court proceedings...but, Capone did have a lot of the “system” wrapped around his proverbial little finger. But, once sent to Alcatraz, Capone lost all his “perks” and was almost purposely treated as low as the rest of the inmates.  

If you mean Capone's 9 month stay in Philadelphia State Penitentiary before Alcatraz I think the luxuries he supposedly had were exaggerated or not true at all. 

Despite reports to the contrary, prison administrators claimed that their most high-profile prisoner received no special treatment. “This man, called a gangster, comes here to me as just another prisoner,” Warden Herbert Smith told reporters shortly after Capone’s arrival. Closer to the end of the mob boss’ sentence, Smith maintained his stance, saying, “Nobody is shown any favoritism, millionaire or pauper. Capone worked hard and observed every rule, and earned his two months off for good behavior.”

Mosca in this episode was in custody, he was in the hands of the court, if the judge got wind of this special treatment he would have put a stop to it immediately.

Edited by RedDragon86

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

If you mean Capone's 9 month stay in Philadelphia State Penitentiary before Alcatraz I think the luxuries he supposedly had were exaggerated or not true at all. 

Despite reports to the contrary, prison administrators claimed that their most high-profile prisoner received no special treatment. “This man, called a gangster, comes here to me as just another prisoner,” Warden Herbert Smith told reporters shortly after Capone’s arrival. Closer to the end of the mob boss’ sentence, Smith maintained his stance, saying, “Nobody is shown any favoritism, millionaire or pauper. Capone worked hard and observed every rule, and earned his two months off for good behavior.”

Mosca in this episode was in custody, he was in the hands of the court, if the judge got wind of this special treatment he would have put a stop to it immediately.

Perhaps some of Capone’s special treatments were exaggerated to some degree...but from everything I’ve ever researched or read on it he definitely had special privileges (including getting some special food & wine in his cell) before he was sent to Alcatraz. Of course the prison warden and other people involved in that are not gonna admit that, and they’re going to claim to the contrary, lol. ;) 

As for Mosca on MV, he definitely had the courts and System wrapped around his little finger...that judge had no control over his court room whatsoever, let alone what Mosca was able to get away with once in jail—Mosca even openly mocked the court (in front of the judge) by demanding his goons bring all his favorite foods & wines while he was in his private cell. It was a joke! :rolleyes: 

The judge and the whole court system knew exactly what he was doing, but they didn’t care. They just wanted to not have to deal with him anymore. They may not have been corrupt or necessarily on Mosca’s payroll (although some prison guards probably were), but they were very incompetent and inept enough to not really care about doing anything about it. Sadly it took someone (who ended up being Gina) to put an end to him once & for all.