Hello everybody!

Jerry B.

Hello everybody, and big compliments to the creator of this site!It really looks like one of the most exahustive databases about the show and everything related to it. Thanks to this site I realized how hot is the interest about this 30 year old show. And it's great to see so many fans gathered in one place, from the straight apprecciator to the hardcore ones. A real community, that's how it looks.But let me tell you a little about myself, I hope not to be boring, maybe my story can reflect the ones of many among you. Well, I have to say I've always been a fan of the eighties, I'd say, even when we still were in the seventies!  I've also been a fan of Jan Hammer since his days with Mahavishnu and that historical Billy Cobham album called Spectrum.I used to wear RayBan Aviator and Wayfarer, t-shirts under a blazer, shoes with no socks (during summer) and had long hair, way before the show was on air, just to name a few things. So, when the 80s came up, it was just a perfect lock-in, a perfect match with my taste and feel. And MV - maybe more of anything else - literally "screams" 80s. I still remember when the pilot was aired and I saw the name of Jan as the score music composer. Episode after episode, I really  guessed that those guys could read my mind. Everything was at its place: the music, the fashion, the colors, the stories, the way the scenes were cut, the location, the guys (and i mean ALL the guys, not only the couple).I was 25 at that time and now I can say that it was definitely "my" time. As Talbott and Diehl said in a recent interview, you can't make anything barely similar today for many - as well as obvious - reasons.I hope not to offend anybody by saying that Mann's movie of the 2000s it's just pitiful. Give it another name, it's just an average cop story. But for God's sake, dont' call it Miami Vice. You have no chance to create something that barely comes close without the sounds of Jan, and Eddie Olmos in the clothes of Castillo; without all the guys and girls of the squad, and - of course - without the two main characters. The reason is simple: they were almost unknown before, so their names are bound with the ones of the characters they portraited. And viceversa.Btw, I don't want to go too long with this message, so let me to thank the creator of this website one more time, adding that - on the 30th Anniversary of MV, I'll be in Miami, North Beach this july.Cheers,Jerry B.PS Any guessing about my nickname? Not strictly related to MV, but...

• Like 3

• Administrators

Wow... Long post. :p And interesting story.

Welcome to the site, Jerry! 

And don't worry, we all agree that the 2006 movie was horrible, and IS NOT Miami Vice.

PS Any guessing about my nickname? Not strictly related to MV, but...

The first thing that comes to my mind is Jerry Bruckheimer because of Michael Mann and Thief (1981) but I guess it is wrong.  :)

Anyway, welcome.

Thanks to you all guys! Glad to be aboard. Great site about a great show, agreed.

PS A little suggestion about my nickname: the complete name i'm referring to is Jerry Beck ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Artie,

Jerry Beck is the main character of a 1989 movie by John Frankenheimer, titled Dead Bang.

It features Don Johnson (as Beck) and - among others - Bob Balabam, who performed as Ira Stone on two episodes of MV, and Penelope Ann Miller, who also played a role on MV (Death and The Lady). The movie is based on the real life of LASD detective Jerome Beck. It never became very popular so I guess that many of you, Crocketts and Burnetts out there, may want to find it and watch it ;-)

Here's a link where to preview the movie: http://vimeo.com/87732357

Edited by Jerry B.
  • Like 1

Hi Artie,

Jerry Beck is the main character of a 1989 movie by John Frankenheimer, titled Dead Bang.

It features Don Johnson (as Beck) and - among others - Bob Balabam, who performed as Ira Stone on two episodes of MV, and Penelope Ann Miller, who also played a role on MV (Death and The Lady). The movie is based on the real life of LASD detective Jerome Beck. It never became very popular so I guess that many of you, Crocketts and Burnetts out there, may want to find it and watch it ;-)

Here's a link where to preview the movie: http://vimeo.com/87732357

Of course Dead Bang!! :D  :fireworks:

Thanks to all of you guys.

Anyone going to Miami or being there this July? I'll be there from 16 to 26. I have an apt on Bay Drive, facing the Biscayne Bay. It could be fun to meet some of you hardcore MV fans :-)

Any suggestion about places to see "vicewise"? :-)

• Like 1