Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

What was the last movie you saw and what did you think about it?

Shadow Man (2006) and Kill Switch (2005)

Your typical Steven Seagal b-movies where it looks like he showed up for a couple of minutes then let his stuntman do all the "hard work" and left to do 3 or 4 other movies the same day.

Even though they are pretty bad they did have some funny moments like when "Seagal" jogs to his car you can clearly see it is his stuntman doing the job, and in the next frame Lord Steven is back. 

I had to rewatch that scene a couple of times, funny as hell.

But the films absolute main highlight has to be where Steven takes down a Helicopter in a very realistic scene:

Or when Seagal throws a guy out of the window 13-14 times before the poor fella hits the ground.

Comedy gold.

I give them both a 4/10, which is not very impressive but they do have some entertaining moments in two rather crappy films, that only Seagal can get away with.

Edited by ArtieRollins

• Administrators

Seth MacFarlane's new movie, A Million Ways to Die in the West.

People are rating it low, but I thought it was good.

I enjoyed it. It was funny, had a good story. Can't get that got damn moustache song out of my head.

IMDB rating - 6.3/10

My rating - 8/10

The last movie I saw here at home was Old School. The last movie I saw in theaters was Dirty Dancing (it was in theaters last week).

Later today The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2 are playing in theaters. I am going to see the first one. I'd like to watch the second one right after watching the first one, but I work all night and would end up being late for work if I watched the second one.

Eingefügtes Bild

Skyscraper (1996)

It's basically yet another of too many poor Die Hard copies, and instead of Van Damme, Seagal or Lundgren its Anna Nicole Smith and her gigantic biguns who are the main attraction as the lonesome hero against a bunch of crazy europeans in a skyscraper.

Its not a masterpiece but it sure has some great b-movie entertainment.

You will get random sex scenes here and there and lots of breast shots throughout the movie.

It even copies some of the classic scenes from the original Die Hard but of course in a very cheap way.

It's pretty bad, but I was never bored even for one second and I think it deserves a bit higher rating than 2.4 so I'll end up giving it a nice: 4/10

Eingefügtes Bild

L.A. Heat (1989)

Detective Jon Chance has just witnessed his partner and best friend been shoot and killed in what was supposed to be a simple undercover job. 
Full of anger towards himself and the towns lowlifes Jon Chance is out for revenge at any cost.
Wow, this was some movie.
It oozes Miami Vice and early 70s blaxploitation but in a very, very cheap way.
It's actually more of a comedy than an action film but I guess it's not meant to which makes it even funnier.
You can clearly hear the director speak and shout throughout the film:
"CUT!", "ACTION!", "GO!", "NOW!", "DOOR!"
And in some scenes you can hear the director telling the actors what to do and say. 

In one scene the main hero is talking to his boss on his mobile phone, and you can clearly hear the voice of the actor who plays the boss in the background reading his lines.
But the highlight in L.A. Heat has to be the films "explosive" foot chase.
Jon Chance runs like a maniac after a bad guy in a wild chase that last about 5-6 minutes.
But then you begin question, did I just have a deja vu?
Because I can swear I saw these guys run through the same street, with the same neon sign 3-4 times in a row.
I guess they only were allowed to shoot at a certain place and they decided that no one would probably know the difference, so they had the actors just run around in circle 3-4 times.

In some of the more action filled scenes the bad guys are so eager to die that they go down long before they are hit.
It's like somebody really tried to screw this film up, but instead it ended up as a pretty entertaining b-movie.

PM Entertainment did some good martial arts film back in the 80s and early 90s with Cynthia Rothrock, Lorenzo Lamas and Jeff Wincott and I think It's a little sad they went under in 2000
B-movies today doesen't have the good ol' feeling you would get from watching a Cannon picture or PM film at midnight.
Anyway, L.A. Heat gets a: 4/10
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Eingefügtes Bild

Cocaine Cowboys (2006)

I looked forward to this one back in 2006 and I watched it for the second time today.

An interesting film as it gave a pretty mean picture of Miami in the late 70s and early 80s but with 2 hours time I became a bit tired of hearing about killers and hustlers bragging on how many they killed/played and how professional they were back then.

Entertaining it was though and I enjoyed the soundtrack done by none other than Jan Hammer.

Loved the theme called It's over and Rivi's History.

7/10

• 6 months later...

dtkn.jpg

Mad Dog and Glory (1993)

"It's the first time I pulled out my gun in 15 years. I pissed on myself."

Wayne Dobie (Robert De Niro) is shy spoken police detective who'been nicknamed Mad Dog by his colleagues as he haven't used his "gun" in a very long time.
Wayne become the unlikely hero as he comes to the rescue of a local mobster named Frank Milo (Bill Murray).
In a bizarre way of saying thanks, the stunningly Glory (Uma Thurman) suddenly appears as a "thank you" gift that is supposed to stay with Wayne for a whole week.
And as the week goes by the two of them seems to get well acquainted with each other but when Frank wants Glory back, Wayne must find a way to live up to his nickname or as it says, "No Guts, No Glory".

One of my favorite Robert De Niro films. 
Mad Dog and Glory is a well made, smart and yet sadly overlooked little gem that takes the typical tough mafioso guy Bobby D has portrayed so many, many times over and over again, and then shrinks him into a rather "normal" human being for once.
Long gone are the alpha male, instead we get to see a more fragile side of De Niro and even though some of the scenes are rather tragic they are very funny in a dark comedy way.

For once the love scene with Uma is pure gold.
It's a rare, sweet and very funny scene that I believe is more "real" than watching yet another hot'n'steamy sex scene with overblown sax solos in the background as the two lovers screams out loud after reaching orgasm every other second.

Another great scene happens right after Wayne's partner Mike (Caruso) teaches his woman beating neighbor a couple of lessons without having to use any violence.
Wayne's reaction afterwards in the park when some mugger try's to take his money "You wanna go dodge city Motherfucker!" is hilarious but also very well acted as Wayne must have felt like crap after witnessing his partners cool and smooth way to deal with a bully.

The film directed by John McNaughton (Henry: Portait of a Serial Killer) and produced by Martin Scorsese provoked an angry test audience, as Raging Bull, Travis Bickle and Mr. Mafioso himself is getting dominated and beaten the living crap out of him by Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) and it did not hit on with its viewers and John  had to put in a more friendlier version in the end.

Bill Murray is excellent as the psychotic yet likeable Frank Milo, who first comes off as a bit of friendly character but as the film progress Frank begins to show hitrue colors, or as Glory puts it: "Going to Frank is like taking heroin to cure an alcohol problem, ya know?"
"Different strokes, for different folks!"
Mad Dog and Glory also have great smaller parts played by David Caruso before he became to big for his own good and ended up doing crap films for a decade, but here he really steals the show with his though as nails role and is the perfect opposite to De Niros character.

Mad Dog and Glory is sadly seen by some as a "failure" or a flop, but for me its one of those rare films that gets better with each viewing and I give it a 8/10
Edited by ArtieRollins

• 1 month later...

Seth MacFarlane's new movie, A Million Ways to Die in the West.

People are rating it low, but I thought it was good.

I enjoyed it. It was funny, had a good story. Can't get that got damn moustache song out of my head.

I also saw that movie and loved it! I thought it was hilarious!

I also got "TED" the unrated version. It's way funnier than the theatre version as a lot of jokes were cut for that. The unrated version goes full steam ahead and is grab your gut funny!

Last movie I saw at the theatre was Gunman with Sean Penn. I enjoyed it but I know it will not do well in the box office numbers. It's not a cartoon or a blockbuster, but the story is excellent and the acting superb as usual from almost any Penn project.

I also saw "Into the Wild" which was a true story done by Penn also. The story is of a rich kid disillusioned with life and goes to Alaska to live off the land. Its a sad story and a social commentary on America. Penn should be commended for bringing it to the screen with such brilliance. I highly recommend this movie! 10/10

Edited by Stinger390X

• 1 year later...

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988)

I ended up bying this, because it featured three of the big b-movie scream queens of the 80s, Linnea Quigley, Michelle Bauer and Brinke Stevens but it turned out to be a real feel-good midnight flick, with lots of tits and ass, some gore scenes and a braindead plot, but it worked well.

6/10

Pretty in Pink (1986) 

I guess it's been around 11-12 years since last time I watched it, and still it just doesn't do very much for me. None of the characters come off as very likable, well maybe beside Annie Potts or Harry Dean Stanton who both does a fine job, even though their parts are rather small. Even though it is not directed by Hughes it was written and produced by him, and I consider Pretty in Pink to be one of his weakest 80s efforts along with She's Having a Baby (1988). Still Annie Potts and Harry Dean Stanton along with a fine selection of songs makes it worth checking out, and I end up with a very kind.

6/10

Edited by ArtieRollins

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:33 AM, ArtieRollins said:

Pretty in Pink (1986) 

I guess it's been around 11-12 years since last time I watched it, and still it just doesn't do very much for me. None of the characters come off as very likable, well maybe beside Annie Potts or Harry Dean Stanton who both does a fine job, even though their parts are rather small. Even though it is not directed by Hughes it was written and produced by him, and I consider Pretty in Pink to be one of his weakest 80s efforts along with She's Having a Baby (1988). Still Annie Potts and Harry Dean Stanton along with a fine selection of songs makes it worth checking out, and I end up with a very kind.

6/10

I think anything from John Hughes stands the test of time.

And as for Annie Potts.........I was so in love with her! She makes the movies she is in stand out. I| loved her character in PIP and her character in "Corvette Summer" was outstanding! That is when I fell in love with her. She is so likable as the dipsy hooker! I love it when she is drinking Vodka and orange juice...but from separate containers! Hilarious!!!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2014 at 9:38 AM, ArtieRollins said:

Eingefügtes Bild

Cocaine Cowboys (2006)

I looked forward to this one back in 2006 and I watched it for the second time today.

An interesting film as it gave a pretty mean picture of Miami in the late 70s and early 80s but with 2 hours time I became a bit tired of hearing about killers and hustlers bragging on how many they killed/played and how professional they were back then.

Entertaining it was though and I enjoyed the soundtrack done by none other than Jan Hammer.

Loved the theme called It's over and Rivi's History.

7/10

I also liked that movie. I am kind of a documentary junkie....

Did you know there is a part II of CC? It picks up after Miami and follows the story of Bianca's hitman and what happened to her in the end. I won't spoil it for you but check it out.

10 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

And as for Annie Potts.........I was so in love with her! She makes the movies she is in stand out. I| loved her character in PIP and her character in "Corvette Summer" was outstanding! That is when I fell in love with her. She is so likable as the dipsy hooker! I love it when she is drinking Vodka and orange juice...but from separate containers! Hilarious!!!

I had a thing for Annie Potts since I first saw Ghostbusters II (1989) and Who's Harry Crumb? (1989), shes a great and a bit underrated character actor. 

10 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Did you know there is a part II of CC? It picks up after Miami and follows the story of Bianca's hitman and what happened to her in the end. I won't spoil it for you but check it out.

I think I saw another part on Netflix, some time ago, but never gotten around to see it, but I might do so because I enjoyed part 1 very much.

Catwoman (2004) 
I guess I have only myself to blame for watching a film named and shamed as "worst movie ever!" this and that. But then again I have probably seen at least 200-300 hundred movies or more that will make Catwoman look like an art movie. 
Halle Berry is the main reason why I ended up seeing it, and she actually is not that horrible as say, Sharon Stone or Alex Borstein but the special effects, story and music is so badly done, one might think it was done on purpose. The biggest "surprise" for me is not that they screwed up another unnecessary superhero movie, but that the director is the same guy who made the great french thriller Vidocq three years earlier. 
The film is bad, very bad but not so that it is unwatchable, and when you have babe like Halle Berry as Catwoman, that alone is at least worthy an extra point, so I'll end up with a nice:

3/10

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Weekend At Bernie's (1989) By Ted Kotcheff

A great and very funny feel-good/summer-comedy that I can watch over and over again. There was a sequel a couple of years later but without the beautiful Cathrine Mary Stewart which was a shame, but it is nowhere near as bad as many people says it is, and I was a bit surprised to see that it had only a 4,6/10 from IMDb voters, but then again the original only sits around at 6,3/10 and I guess its one of those films that you either love or hate.

Anyway, I give an 8/10 to Weekend At Bernie's

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

I think Andy Summers (Police guitarist) did the music for that movie. He was out of a job by then :) 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ArtieRollins said:

Weekend At Bernie's (1989) By Ted Kotcheff

A great and very funny feel-good/summer-comedy that I can watch over and over again. There was a sequel a couple of years later but without the beautiful Cathrine Mary Stewart which was a shame, but it is nowhere near as bad as many people says it is, and I was a bit surprised to see that it had only a 4,6/10 from IMDb voters, but then again the original only sits around at 6,3/10 and I guess its one of those films that you either love or hate.

Anyway, I give an 8/10 to Weekend At Bernie's

One of my favorites too. I like the second one a lot as well. Too bad the chick in the conga line only got a brief scene. She was really hot.

I just watched "The Deer Hunter", perhaps influenced by Cimino's recent passing.

Incredible movie!

Streep and De Niro fantastic as usual.

Wished I have watched it before. I am ashamed I haven't. To those who, just like me, have always heard it's a top movie but delayed seeing it, waist no time any longer!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ivoryjones said:

Incredible movie!

Streep and De Niro fantastic as usual.

An all time classic. I am usually not a very big fan of "war" movies, but Deer Hunter is so much more than just that. It is a film I don't see to many times, not because that I don't like it, but it is one of those movies that stays with me long afterwards and in a good way.

52 minutes ago, timm525 said:

One of my favorites too. I like the second one a lot as well. Too bad the chick in the conga line only got a brief scene. She was really hot.

Yeah, she was something all right :) I kind of hoped that the clumsy mafioso hitman, Paulie would end up getting out of the mental hospital and in search of Bernie Lomax to get his revenge, but instead we get Barry Bostwick (who does a fine job but he is no Paulie though). 

1 hour ago, nofretz said:

I think Andy Summers (Police guitarist) did the music for that movie. He was out of a job by then :) 

I thought I saw his name in the credits, but was not really sure. I enjoyed the music in this film, very upbeat stuff. The second film has some good music in it too.

I didn't realize the drug dealer's girlfriend appeared on Miami Vice till I watched the "Reloaded" edition on Netflix. She looks so different now. Still pretty, though. 

Twins (1988) By Ivan Reitman

Kelly Preston in her tight little nightgown, Arnold and De Vito as "twin brothers" and that's pretty much it. No masterpiece but certainly not a horrible movie either, and compared to Junior (1994) Twins is much funnier. 

I give it a very nice 7/10, but the extra point goes to Kelly Preston alone, without her this would be down to a 6/10

I don't think Arnold's comedies are good. Like Junior. They somehow forgot to include gags in that film.

• Like 1