Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

Watched a film I have not seen since 1978.  The film is Capricorn One.  This is about the first manned mission to Mars.  However, as the rocket with the three man crew is about to launch, the astronauts are removed from the capsule and the rocket is launched without them.  What's going on?  What follows is a grand deception to fool the whole world.  The Mars landing is faked.  The astronauts agree to the scheme because the men running the show are too powerful.  The plan is to return these men to the capsule when it returns to Earth.  But something goes terribly wrong and now these brave men are fighting for their lives.  A member of mission control suspects something is amiss and he tells his friend.  That friend is a newspaper reporter who eventually believes all is not right in NASA.  For me this is a suspenseful drama that makes me think about how easy it is to fool people.  

image.thumb.jpeg.67ba13c466c4594d10b58c7be88b28f0.jpeg

Edited by Vicefan7777
  • Like 3

re: Capricorn One:

Good movie. I first saw it on an old portable tv (same one I watched MV on back in the day)

That aerial chase at the end must have been awesome to see at the cinema on the bigscreen. I get a little motion sickness just watching it at home on a largish widescreen television:cool:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fakespyder said:

re: Capricorn One:

Good movie. I first saw it on an old portable tv (same one I watched MV on back in the day)

That aerial chase at the end must have been awesome to see at the cinema on the bigscreen. I get a little motion sickness just watching it at home on a largish widescreen television:cool:

I too got a bit motion sickness from that scene.  I have a 60 inch screen for viewing and I had to close my eyes for a few seconds.  I bet it must have been a wild ride for the professional pilots to film. 

• Like 2

My favorite cop actors are in this movie in a scene together. DJ plays the captain.
Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) has a small part.
Highly controversial movie (for some PC movie critics) for violence and depiction of police brutality....but YMMV.
My only gripe with this flick, it's a tad too long for the rather straightforward plot. A slow burner for sure, but not in the same league with genre masterpieces, such as 'Heat'.

• Like 3

I have watched The Substitute(1996) starring Tom Berenger.

It takes place in Miami and IMO very underrated movie in its own genre.

I am actually quite surprised I never came across this movie in the past 10-20years.

Great Score from Gary Chang and good supporting cast.

Berenger.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kalci said:

I am actually quite surprised I never came across this movie in the past 10-20years.

Berenger.JPG

Sounds awesome, Miami and Berenger! Surprised I never watched it too!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kalci said:

Berenger.JPG

I rented it back-when, when it came out on video. So, I’ve seen it once. But, from what I remember, it was really good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kalci said:

Berenger.JPG

I quite enjoyed The Substitute, but I'm also a major Tom Bringer fan. The later ones weren't quite as good, though.

• Like 1

IMG_4091.thumb.jpeg.5dd29065db268a1e1a4f5e08185d33ab.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this before, but my town has one of the oldest, historic theaters in the central U.S. still operating. It was built in 1931, and it has been restored & maintained as the art deco masterpiece it is! The entire thing (including the bathrooms) is just like it was when it first opened in 31.

Certain months out of the year, every Thursday night is classic movie night…it’s only $5 a ticket, and there’s the best popcorn ever, candy & snacks, soda, beer & even wine. We have a more modern B&B theater in town as well…but, the old Fox Theater is my favorite!

This last Thursday night they showed an amazing classic film…Sunset Boulevard (1950)! I hadn’t seen this film in years, and it was really cool to see it on the big screen. It’s an amazing delve into the tragic realities of Hollywood, and how some people lose themselves within the false fantasy of ‘tinsel town’.

A struggling screenwriter encounters a strange, somewhat mentally unstable, former actress…who had been a huge star in the silent film days, but hadn’t made a movie in decades. She lives in her own bizarre fantasy world within the walls of her old mansion, but is determined to have her script she’s been writing for years made into a movie…and she would star & this would be her comeback. Not only that, but she is bound & determined that famous director Cecil B. Demille (who appears as himself) will direct it.

However, as the writer finds himself caught up in the actress’s twisted “fairytale”…including living off her money, things begin to fall apart and everyone’s fantasies crumble, as the harsh realities of the real Hollywood & aging make ‘themselves’ cruelly known…ultimately forcing the writer & actress into self examination, self loathing, and eventually spiraling everything & everyone into inevitable tragic events.

A captivating & realistic plot, powerhouse cast, superb performances by everyone—but especially Gloria Swanson, amazing sets & locations, etc…Sunset Boulevard was a dark & fascinating noir that ripped open the Hollywood facade, and laid bare the souls & falsities of the characters within. 

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

IMG_4092.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

"Stand By Me" - My rating (A)

A coming of age tale based on the semi autobiographical novel “The Body” by Stephen King and authentically written by Raynold Gideon and Bruce Evans. Director Rob Reiner directs it with a light touch of sentimentality.

p9417_i_v9_aa.jpg

A well observed and executed film.

• Like 5

IMG_4105.jpeg.75d028e38f824fe75372a70ea4d724b4.jpeg

I always like discovering films that I’ve not heard of, or seen…or both, before. I can’t believe that until the past couple weeks, I’ve never heard of or seen the 1961 horror/thriller HOMICIDAL!

It was made by horror/thriller director William Castle…who also directed fright-flick classics such as House On Haunted Hill (1959), The Tingler (1959), 13 Ghosts (1960), etc… Homicidal was definitely trying to hone in & cash in on the popularity craze of Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece the year before…Psycho!

But, like all of Castle’s other scary movies, it included a promotional gimmick…a “fright break”. Part way through the film, it allowed a time for “cowards” to leave theaters and get their money back. But, you had to sign a form declaring yourself a coward & that you didn’t stay for the end. :)

But, Homicidal definitely had a style and way of creeping you out, all its own. I’m not gonna lie…I cannot believe this movie was allowed in 1961, as it was very “dark”, violent, and even graphic for its time! It contains one of the bloodiest, most graphic stabbings (for the time), that even in B&W still shocks you. And in 1961…who’d of thought of or included decapitation as well?? :eek:

But, the characterization & plot twists alone are very twisted, and wild…in more ways than one. ;) Yet, you’re captivated & fascinated at the same time. The story follows the strange, bizarre lives of a half brother & sister Warren & Miriam Webster…along with a sociopathic nurse Emily, who cares for the old creepy family “nanny” Helga, who is now a mute invalid after suffering a stroke.

However, it appears that no one or nothing is at seems…as Emily begins to “take care of” anyone & everyone! But, why?? Who are these deranged people, and what dark & sinister family secrets do they share?

This is an amazing, suspense, fright flick that makes your skin crawl from the get-go…for those that appreciate older movies for actual acting, plot, graphic shock for the time, and even realistic suspense to weave a masterful yarn of amazing entertainment…Homicidal is a must! :clap:  I still can’t believe I hadn’t heard of this one before? ?(

The 2021, newest high definition remastered Blu-ray by Powerhouse Films/Indicator is superb! :glossy: It’s full of awesome special features & interviews/documentaries, as well. :thumbsup: 

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4109.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

IMG_4134.jpeg.ed5e9330512fbc84cd32b9e8c0c88ad8.jpeg

I love it when I discover that a more rare film, and one of my favorite classic adventure movies, actually finally got an “official” release…and in HD on Blu-ray no-less! SECRET OF THE INCAS (1954)!

I first saw this film back in the late 90s on AMC, but for years after I couldn’t find it. Then I eventually found some bootleg DVD copies (of the AMC airing) online. Every few years I’d check again to see if there was any kind of official release, and it always just the bootleg copies.

But, just this past week I happened to check again, and I was ecstatic to discover that just this past year (2023) Kino Lorber had released it on Blu-ray! :dance2: Remastered in HD by Paramount, from a 4K scan of the 35mm YCMs, this movie has finally been given its long-deserved treatment! :clap:

Before he became a screen legend, as Moses & Ben-Hur, Charlton Heston stars as rugged adventurer ‘Harry Steele’. He earns his living as a tour guide in the jungles of Peru…but plans to make his fortune by discovering an ancient Incan treasure—a giant golden, jewel-laden disc called the Sunburst.

During his dangerous quest, he encounters other—corrupt searchers, an archaeologist who is more interested in the history rather than the fortune, and a beautiful Romanian refugee named Elena. And with all situations dealing with money & fame…there’s danger, backstabbing, cutthroat individuals, and death.

Full of thrilling action, amazing locations & cinematography—as the majority of the movie was filmed at the actual Incan ruins of Machu Picchu, color by the larger-than-life Technicolor (now restored in HD :glossy:), featuring an appearance by Peruvian-American singer Yma Sumac—as well as real life descendants of the Incas, Secret of the Incas is a “rip-roaring & romance-filled adventure” that is always fun to watch! :D

Many may already know this, but this is also the film that inspired George Lucas & Steven Spielberg to create…“Indiana Jones”! There are many similarities between Harry Steele & IJ, and the plot of “Incas” is very similar to & styled like Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

I’m so glad that this 50s adventure gem has finally been restored and released to Blu-ray! Although no melting faces :p…if you like adventure, thrilling action, as well as history, and “Indiana Jones”…definitely check out the movie that started it all! :thumbsup: 

IMG_4133.jpeg

IMG_4131.jpeg

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

IMG_4132.jpeg

IMG_4135.jpeg

IMG_4136.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

dac.thumb.webp.1e3bfc739b1f844bfabe2be003cf8a94.webp

On of the best film I've seen in awhile, was almost afraid of watching it because of how violent the director's other movies are. Don Johnson is briefly in it.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2024 at 7:52 AM, RedDragon86 said:

"Stand By Me" - My rating (A)

A coming of age tale based on the semi autobiographical novel “The Body” by Stephen King and authentically written by Raynold Gideon and Bruce Evans. Director Rob Reiner directs it with a light touch of sentimentality.

p9417_i_v9_aa.jpg

A well observed and executed film.

This is a very good film.  It really surprised me that a film about boys on a trip to see a dead person could be so interesting. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Marc said:

this film is on Netflix and worth checking out, best part is this cover of a Hank Williams Jr. song. 

I love The Flaming Lips!

• Administrators
On 2/22/2024 at 12:41 AM, Vicefan7777 said:

Watched a film I have not seen since 1978.  The film is Capricorn One.  This is about the first manned mission to Mars.  However, as the rocket with the three man crew is about to launch, the astronauts are removed from the capsule and the rocket is launched without them.  What's going on?  What follows is a grand deception to fool the whole world.  The Mars landing is faked.  The astronauts agree to the scheme because the men running the show are too powerful.  The plan is to return these men to the capsule when it returns to Earth.  But something goes terribly wrong and now these brave men are fighting for their lives.  A member of mission control suspects something is amiss and he tells his friend.  That friend is a newspaper reporter who eventually believes all is not right in NASA.  For me this is a suspenseful drama that makes me think about how easy it is to fool people.  

image.thumb.jpeg.67ba13c466c4594d10b58c7be88b28f0.jpeg

Awesome movie!  Makes you think when someone says the moon landing in 1969 was faked in a studio.  

• Like 1

Has anyone seen At Close Range (1986), with Sean Penn & Christopher Walken? If so, what did you think? I’ve heard of this one, but not actually seen it before. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Has anyone seen At Close Range (1986), with Sean Penn & Christopher Walken? If so, what did you think? I’ve heard of this one, but not actually seen it before. 

I have seen it a year ago or so. For me it was nothing special to be honest. 10/6. Mediocre movie, that you watch one time and you do not remember the plot a year later or so. I have watched it, I won't say I regret watching it because it is not a bad movie, it is not an unwatchable movie, it is just a movie that won't be remembered, even if the starring duo is good at what they do. Story just not good enough IMO(I don't even remember now what was the story), to be remembered.

• Like 1

This one is a great one. Directed by Robert Altman.

Great story, a bunch of big Hollywood stars make a cameo. Interesting plot, good soundtrack and great direction.

I was never a big fan of Tim Robbins(I don't know why) but he is starring in a lot of good movies, I have to admit.

Early 90s gives me a late vice vibe too. R129 SL, Range Rover,911 targa from the early 80s etc. Colors.

8min - long tracking shot here in the beginning is also a really cool piece.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

• Administrators
13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Excellent movie.  Made back when Sean and Madonna were married.  Walken was also excellent.  Not to mention a great song by Madonna!   It's one of those movies that's always worth another watch whenever it comes around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Excellent movie.  Made back when Sean and Madonna were married.  Walken was also excellent.  Not to mention a great song by Madonna!   It's one of those movies that's always worth another watch whenever it comes around.

Awesome…I’ll have to check it out! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I searched to see if this one had been mentioned. Maybe I’m overlooking it, but I revisited this one from 1985 the other night. It’s one of my favorite 80s movies, easily! Great story, cast, performances, and soundtrack! Scored by Tangerine Dream, too! 

Vision Quest:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I searched to see if this one had been mentioned. Maybe I’m overlooking it, but I revisited this one from 1985 the other night. It’s one of my favorite 80s movies, easily! Great story, cast, performances, and soundtrack! Scored by Tangerine Dream, too! 

Vision Quest(1985):

Thanks for the tip. I will watch it in the coming days.

• Like 1

OK so MV was imagined as MTV cops before it materialized. But were there movies before, that could have inspired MV producers with their storytelling? Yes there were some for sure.

This is a new to me movie : Summer Lovers[1982]

Critics often gave it negative reviews, but I don't think this movie is that bad at all. This is 10/6 for me, and actually a very fun movie to watch if you just want to feel some summer vibes.

There are a couple of scenes in it where the background music leads the storytelling.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 1