Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I think the upcoming 40th anniversary movie will ignore all the other movies...even 2. It’ll be interesting to see how they have Laurie still in Haddonfield, babysitting again, but 40 years later. But it’ll be awesome to have Jamie Lee Curtis return to her iconic role! :thumbsup:

I was soooo excited to hear Jamie Lee Curtis will be coming back to Haddonfield.  I re watched the original a few days ago and it is still creepy scary good fun. One of my absolute favorite horror films. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I was soooo excited to hear Jamie Lee Curtis will be coming back to Haddonfield.  I re watched the original a few days ago and it is still creepy scary good fun. One of my absolute favorite horror films. 

Me too, Vicefan7777! The original is my favorite scary movie...for many reasons, but mostly because of what happened to me during the first time I ever saw the film. Rented a VHS of it back in high school when home alone over night.

To make a long story shorter, we lived in the country, and at about 10:30 that night and around the time Laurie (Jamie Lee) was running back across the street to the Doyle house, with Michael in-toe, I heard a noise downstairs. I got part way down the stairs and looked to the front door. I then had the “upmost joy” of seeing someone ripping the screen of the screen door (as it was summer and the actual door was open to let air come in thru the screen door), and trying to break in. :eek:

Never before nor since have I felt that kind of fear...nor do I want to. ;) However, the psycho intruder turned out to be...my outside dog! He was scared of lightning (which it was doing that night) and was trying to get in the house with me. I could have shot him!! I was so mad :evil: I chained him to the garage, smoked a few cigarettes :rauchen: (as back then I was young and stupid...quit years ago), and—forced myself to finish the movie, lol! :funky:

I’m  really looking forward to the new 40th anniversary movie with Jamie Lee next year!! :thumbsup: Meanwhile my towns theater is showing the original next week on Halloween...I’ve already got my tickets! It’ll be awesome to se it on the big screen! Im not sure, but this could be the 1st time the films been on the big screen since ‘78 when it was released!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aww I'm so jelly.^ saw Halloween for the first time on one of the movie channels a couple of days ago, loved it but then was disappointed that I never got see it for the first time on the big screen.

Need to move somewhere that has a revival movie theatre ASAP.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Aww I'm so jelly.^ saw Halloween for the first time on one of the movie channels a couple of days ago, loved it but then was disappointed that I never got see it for the first time on the big screen.

Need to move somewhere that has a revival movie theatre ASAP.

I’m not sure how many theaters are showing the original Halloween this year? But, I think it’s to help get ready for and promote the new 40th anniversary Halloween movie next year—October of ‘18. It’s been digitally remastered so I’m really looking forward to it!! 

Finally saw the new "Bladerunner " film.

I found that it kept to the original very well in content and look. The effects were pretty good and the burning question from thirty years ago was finally answered regarding Decker. (I won't spoil it for those of you who want to see it)

All around I was surprised that they did such a good job on the sequel, as I find that most sequel's suck! The movie was good but not great, but still satisfactory in my books.

People who sat behind me in the theatre weren't getting the movie at all!  I had to turn around and tell them the plot of the original after, as they had never seen the original. They were young kids, so I guess they are now exited to go see the original?

2 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

I found that it kept to the original very well in content and look. The effects were pretty good and the burning question from thirty years ago was finally answered regarding Decker. (I won't spoil it for those of you who want to see it)

*Does Darth Vader impression* NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Blade Runner 2049, pretty decent very long I still prefer the original one and I also saw Thor Ragnarok, that was bloody brilliant..  I can't wait for Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War now.

On 25/07/2016 at 11:24 AM, ArtieRollins said:

Twins (1988) By Ivan Reitman

Kelly Preston in her tight little nightgown, Arnold and De Vito as "twin brothers" and that's pretty much it. No masterpiece but certainly not a horrible movie either, and compared to Junior (1994) Twins is much funnier. 

I give it a very nice 7/10, but the extra point goes to Kelly Preston alone, without her this would be down to a 6/10

Beautiful woman!:hippie:

12 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Blade Runner 2049, pretty decent very long I still prefer the original one and I also saw Thor Ragnarok, that was bloody brilliant..  I can't wait for Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War now.

I enjoyed it despite the reviews being lacklustre and box office not being what they expected :hippie:

Well it was drizzly and cloudy yesterday so I blew the dust off some old Sci-Fi's from yesteryear.

The first one I watched was "FORBIDDEN PLANET" starring Leslie Nielson back in I think 1958 or something? Great movie !!! The special effects were pretty good for the time and it was way ahead of it's time for the day. Looking at it today it is less appealing but still the nostalgia was great!

The second movie was "Phantom from Space". By todays standards it was totally laughable but it was great to reminisce over the old time Saturday afternoon Sci-Fi's that were on tv when I was a kid. It is totally old school and I have the black and white and colourised versions on the dvd. The plot is horrible and the costumes funny but then again you have to remember the times. It brings me back to the old drive-in days of bad "B" movies.

Made for a fun afternoon though.

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Well it was drizzly and cloudy yesterday so I blew the dust off some old Sci-Fi's from yesteryear.

The first one I watched was "FORBIDDEN PLANET" starring Leslie Nielson back in I think 1958 or something? Great movie !!! The special effects were pretty good for the time and it was way ahead of it's time for the day. Looking at it today it is less appealing but still the nostalgia was great!

I would have to say this movie is another one of my favorite classic Sci-Fi watchable films.  I watch it several times a year.  

Forbidden Planet is also a favorite of mine, featuring Leslie Nielsen, a young Anne Francis, and a few other notables such as Richard Anderson. I read somewhere that the monster from the ID displays a goatee because the visual effects guy was loaned from Disney and it was made to either resemble Walt Disney or Morbius. And there were some effects that may have influenced  the future Star Trek in this 50s flick, such as the chambers used for light jump that closely resembled the later Star Trek transporters. And it had a number of firsts such as the first movie to use all electronic score and the first film to be set entirely on another planet. I often wondered whether Roddenberry took some inspiration from this film. 

Very good SB your correct in the Star Trek transporters.  Forbidden Planet was the first and it did have some real cool effects for the day.

The Phantom movie was just a hahaha  moment for me.

Maybe you guys can help me out. I told you when I was a kid I watched ABC every Saturday afternoon for the "B" movie sci- fis they played in the 60's. There is one space movie where the astronaut's are on a strange planet and they get stuck in a maze underground cavern. The guy uses hi lighter as a compass because the flame is leading them to fresh air and a possible exit. Does anyone know the name of that old B&W sci-fi? It's been over 40 years and I still remember the premise but not the title of this flick

• 1 month later...

Watched Beverly Hills Cop 2 for the first time. It has some good moments but doesn't hold a candle to the first film

Watched the Goosebumps film finally. Surprisingly enjoyed it. Growing up, I was a huge fan of the books and show. So I'm feeling nostalgic lol.:cool:

Daddy’s Home 2 is out in theatres - looks fun with Mel Gibson and John Lithgoe playing elderly fathers - always enjoy John Lithgoe funny guy :hippie: 

• 3 weeks later...

I hear Nick Castle, the actor who originally played The Shape, is returning for the next Halloween film. Sounds promising so far. Of course the bar is pretty low after the last three films.

:)

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 6:43 PM, Detective_Crockett said:

I definitely loved both Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok. Thor reminded me of the 80s Flash Gordon (but so much better) and Blade Runner 2049 reminded me of... er.. um... Blade Runner!  :)  A worthy sequel though.

I just saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi too, but that I would not recommend unfortunately. Disappointing!

Tis the season for watching certain movies.  Two of the favorites in my house are White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street.  Both are classics that are must see viewing every year.  

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 12:33 AM, Remington said:

Watched Beverly Hills Cop 2 for the first time. It has some good moments but doesn't hold a candle to the first film

I'm in the minority who prefer the sequel. Tony Scott was at his peak back then and it's incredibly stylish.

8 hours ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

I just saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi too, but that I would not recommend unfortunately. Disappointing!

First impressions I walked out satisfied but the more I've thought it over I don't like the decisions that were made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc said:

I'm in the minority who prefer the sequel. Tony Scott was at his peak back then and it's incredibly stylish.

First impressions I walked out satisfied but the more I've thought it over I don't like the decisions that were made.

I also saw Star Wars last night and was also a bit disappointed. The story was very slow and disjointed. The ending was odd (won't spoil it) but for me disappointing. The last two prequals were much better I think.

Tonight I went to see "Downsizing" It was ok...had a couple of funny spots and had a good fable to it , however \I only give it a 7/10. Good waste of an evening.......

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Very stylish spy thriller with solid performances and a great soundtrack. The plot of the film feels is a bit obvious but the film was so much an entertaining watch with heaps of neon lighting, spy theatrics, sex, and action it's hard for me to say I cared if the plot didn't add up as much in the end. Charlize Theron made for a spy who I wouldn't mind seeing return in a future film if they have sequels (or prequels given how late in the cold war this film is set) in mind and the late eighties setting gave me some The Living Daylights vibes. To note I've watched this three or so times since I got the Blu-ray last month and it gets even better with each viewing.

Fletch Lives (1989)

I know it's often considered a weak sequel but I honestly really love this film. Chevy Chase as Fletch is such a blast to watch wondering where Fletch ends and his own inimitable humor and personality begins and his many disguises make for many funny and quotable moments (Elmer Fudd Gantry being my favorite). The Louisiana setting made for a galore of the usual southern tropes but here the film is so less serious than its predecessor it doesn't feel too out of place. I never get tired of seeing Hal Holbrook on screen and if any performance is up to the level Chase is on it's R. Lee Ermey as the televangelist making every moment of screen time great as Ermey usually does.

3 hours ago, agent 47 said:

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Charlize Theron made for a spy who I wouldn't mind seeing return in a future film if they have sequels

I enjoyed it but never thought about the absurdity of Charlize Theron beating up five men twice her strengthen until it was pointed out to me.

Gavin McInnes makes some funny points about the state of current movies. Now I can't stop seeing it.

10 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

I also saw Star Wars last night and was also a bit disappointed. The story was very slow and disjointed. The ending was odd (won't spoil it) but for me disappointing. The last two prequals were much better I think.

I agree. And I know it's space fantasy, but you're supposed to stay within the rules of your fictional universe, but the poorly written The Last Jedi breaks those rules that were set up, constantly.  I'll give an example:

*spoilers* When the Rebellion uses the ship and lightspeed as a weapon to rip through an opposing First Order's shield and ship, you wonder why that tactic wasn't used all the time to destroy empire ships and the Death Star in previous episodes. You target a ship in your trajectory, autopilot it to jump to lightspeed and get out before it does. How many lives could have been saved and wars could have easily been won?  (I can go on for hours with all the problems this movie created :p)

Edited by ComplimentsofMrCalderone