Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

Great Point COMC. I agree with the "light speed theory.

You kind of wonder if they have such a classic as this, and they attempt (have failed numerous times) to make sequals that keep up the storyline, then why did they stray so much on this one? As I stated before it was "Disjointed" and I found the body count to be atrocious. The whole "Luke thing" not leaving the island was a bit too much to take and I could not figure out the story plot between him and his nephew? I know it's a fairy tale but really ...do so many people have to die uselessly? Lets give a ra-ra to the good guys? After all it's only a movie!

• Like 1

Last night I watched a movie called "99 Homes"

It takes place in FL back in the 2008-2010 housing crisis. It is a story based on the evictions of Fanny Mae and other unscrupulous banking firms of innocent people. Sad story and based on fact, these dudes get rich off the suffering of others.

The movie is very good in many aspects but the last 60 seconds of the ending was a bombshell! I didn't quite get it??? Has anyone else seen this film? Did the guy who got arrested who ratted out the scoundrels really get thanked by his boss, or was he covering up for him and taking the fall? Good movie but confusing ending...maybe that is why it went straight to DVD? I still enjoyed it.

This gif of Mark Hamill fills me with a real sadness. https://streamable.com/fmqwp

It's taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaCJCuSiPI

23:00 
Question:
>"I'm wondering if you were concerned about pissing off the fans?"

Mark:
>"Can I just say though a lot of times I would say to Rian; 'We Gotta think about the fans' and he said "No we gotta think about the story and we gotta think about our movie.

>Which I... you know..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Last night I watched a movie called "99 Homes"

It takes place in FL back in the 2008-2010 housing crisis. It is a story based on the evictions of Fanny Mae and other unscrupulous banking firms of innocent people. Sad story and based on fact, these dudes get rich off the suffering of others.

The movie is very good in many aspects but the last 60 seconds of the ending was a bombshell! I didn't quite get it??? Has anyone else seen this film? Did the guy who got arrested who ratted out the scoundrels really get thanked by his boss, or was he covering up for him and taking the fall? Good movie but confusing ending...maybe that is why it went straight to DVD? I still enjoyed it.

I have also seen this movie and really enjoyed it :hippie:

Right now I’m watching the colorized 1951 A Christmas Carol, starring Alastair Sim as Scrooge—and slowly sipping my Sam Adams: Old Fezziwig Ale’s...part of Sam Adams holiday collection 12 pack, and dedicated to the character from the Charles Dickens classic Christmas story! Merry Christmas to all!! :thumbsup:

“God bless everyone!”——Tiny Tim

17 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I have also seen this movie and really enjoyed it :hippie:

Matt...what did you make of the ending? Who were the three suits? Were they FBI? the never revealed that. And did the kid act as a fall guy for the realator when he said to him "Good Job" and put his hand on his shoulder. Will the kid take the fall alone?

What a messed up ending for such a good movie!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Matt...what did you make of the ending? Who were the three suits? Were they FBI? the never revealed that. And did the kid act as a fall guy for the realator when he said to him "Good Job" and put his hand on his shoulder. Will the kid take the fall alone?

What a messed up ending for such a good movie!!!!!!!!!

I pretty much had the same thoughts as you - thought it could have been clearer at the end :hippie:. The three suits my thought was FBI

• 1 month later...

Blade runner 2049 is very good. recently i've been rewatching Scarface while reading miamijim book. honestly i'm not a big fan of that movie, but it's still an interesting movie on many levels

• Like 1

next week I'll probably see a couple of dumb action movies for a change, The Commuter, 12 Strong and Den of Thieves. 

films aimed at male dominated audiences come under a lot of criticism lately. "macho escapism is bad!"  - Buzzfeed

I made my brother watch "Manhunter" and don't think he was too impressed but it was awesome seeing it again:cool: I saw Red Dragon recently too, Seriously Manhunter is like a million times better.

On 24/12/2017 at 8:22 PM, Marc said:

This gif of Mark Hamill fills me with a real sadness. https://streamable.com/fmqwp

It's taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaCJCuSiPI

23:00 
Question:
>"I'm wondering if you were concerned about pissing off the fans?"

Mark:
>"Can I just say though a lot of times I would say to Rian; 'We Gotta think about the fans' and he said "No we gotta think about the story and we gotta think about our movie.

>Which I... you know..."

Poor Mark Hamill ;(

I agree on Manhunter. Great film and one of Mann's best. I'm glad it's stature has grown. I think it's the best Leckter film and it's better than Silence of the Lambs. I think Brian Cox is better as Leckter than Hopkins, although I am a fan of Hopkins too.

• Like 1

Six weeks on from the release of Last Jedi and it's now not playing anymore where I am. 

I saw it twice at theatres, the second time time I disliked it more. No interest to see it again when it's out on blu-ray.

Star Wars as a brand is dying. Low than expectations box office, failing toy sales, bombed in China.

The teaser for Solo was last night and trailer is coming today but I don't really care anymore.

Cleopatra was on TV and I couldn't help but be drawn to it. Still can't decide if it's a good film or not but the sheer extravagance is mesmerising.

My fellow Welshman Richard Burton is on point as Marc Anthony. Elizabeth Taylor, Rex Harrison and Roddy Mcdowal are all great too but Burton steals the show, Every minute he's on screen is spectacular. This is my favourite scene with Burton hamming it up (in a good way) after he flees from the Battle of Actium.

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, Marc said:

Den of Thieves was nothing special but still decent, I rated it    

It's funny one of the negative criticisms I read going in was he director has watched Heat too many times.

Rather than put me off it made me want to go see it.

I also saw Den of Thieves. Not outstanding, but still good...

I saw the Tonya Harding story "I,Tonya" and have to say they did a great job!  The movie was funny, moving and the woman who played her mother should get an Academy nod for sure!

• 1 month later...

DTCAIltVoAAROgu.thumb.jpg.960fdd5f68df40ee5f534b5a7352faaa.jpg

All I can say is holy **** I saw this at the theatre last night.

First impressions were that stylistically this is some Chinese equivalent to Michael Bay but as it develops the setpieces keep intensifying and the spectacle far exceeds anything Hollywood directors have shown they're capable of achieving. The consequences of the action are so brutal and shocking that I haven't seen anything similar since Rambo 4 (2008). My jaw was on the floor for nearly the last hour. 

If this is playing near you go see it immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd strongly recommend this and advise that go in blind like I did. If you like Taxi Driver, Drive, Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai you'll dig it.

I rated it five stars.

Quad_AW_[33540] You Were Never Really Here_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Marc, I'll check that out as I like Phoenix's work.

I saw that Operation Red Sea playing at the theatre and passed on it. I will take your advice Marc and check it out from your high appraisal

Vincent, I too just watched Cleopatra for the very first time about a month ago. I agree that the costumes, makeup and the huge elaborate set designs (before cgi!!!) were outstanding! I had heard so much about it over the years, good, bad and indifferent, and the fact that it almost bankrupted the studio back in the day, I decided to finally see for myself.

It is a true epic such as the likes of Lawrence of Arabia and numerous other films of that era that make you just say WOW!

• Like 1

I listened to some random geeky Star Wars podcast with barely any views that compared the original New Hope (1977) with Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Only fifteen years seperate them, which doesn't seem that long in movie years. George Lucas was definitely a fan and it had an influence even down to the music. He also used the same locations in Attack of the Clones.

The reason Steven Spielberg doesn't record DVD commentaries is because he once sat next to David Lean in the theatre during a screening and he said all the talking from Lean whispering how he achieved shots he felt it was annoying and spoiling the movie! 

I went to see Ready Player One tonight. I'm pretty well versed in gaming and pop culture references but thought it was a pretty mediocre Spielberg movie. Halfway through it I lost interest in what was happening to be honest. It wasn't event that I had high expectations with all the hype. I avoided reading about it and turning away when the trailers played. My friend said he liked it more than me.

• Like 1

I watched two films the other day. Bad Lieutenant and The Searchers. BL was good but kind of slow. The Searchers is good but overrated. Give me Rio Bravo any day.

^ I saw Rio Bravo for first time the other day and kept thinking "wait haven't I seen this before?.." but I was thinking of El Dorado.:D

5 hours ago, Marc said:

The reason Steven Spielberg doesn't record DVD commentaries is because he once sat next to David Lean in the theatre during a screening and he said all the talking from Lean whispering how he achieved shots he felt it was annoying and spoiling the movie! 

Heard that story before but I didn't know that he disliked Lean's insights, What was Spielberg thinking?:( 

Found an old dvd at the store a couple of weeks ago and as I am a fan of westerns and the real tales of the west, it was cool to see yet another film starring Henry Fonda as Wyatt Erp. The film was called "My Darling Clementine"

Although it was totally Hollywood fiction with a dash of truth thrown in, I still found it entertaining in the classic film type, love of old movies. Although the truth was stretched quite a bit, still a good western from the old days.

Of all the movies about Erp and his life, I think that the closest depiction of the truth was the movie "Tomestone" 1993

Kevin Costner did a good adaption in more detail in "Wyatt Erp" in 1994

There are so many more that I can't even remember them as they were so bad and many of them "B" movies. Still........Henry Ford is a superb actor and I generally like his stuff.

Blade Runner 2049 - I was drinking Maker's Mark the whole time.  4DX.  Incredible.  

Goodbye, Christopher Robin is on my list, if I could find it.

Ready, Player One is on the list...

And for sure - the YouTube Red (whatever that is) new Karate Kid series starring original cast members...