Horror films

ArtieRollins

Eingefügtes Bild

Every friday at midnight between july and the two first weeks of august has been a tradition for me the last 18 years to watch some good ol' horror films, especially 80s horror series like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street which are often filled with cheesy one-liners and lots of gratuitous nudity.

My favorite summer horror movie will always be Friday the 13th Part 5: A New Beginning (1985) and as with Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) and Nightmare on Elm Street Part II: Freddy's revenge (1985) it has got a lot of unfairly "hate" over the years because it didn't follow the same formula as it's predecessors and instead came up with some new surprises.

But for me it is the ultimate summer horror 80s slasher and includes some of the finest Friday the 13th babes in the series.

The only slashers that might come close in my opinion are Sleepaway Camp (1983) and The Burning (1981).

Violet sure was a nice lookinnew wave hottie and I never get tired of watching her bustin' some moves to the sound of Pseudo Echo's - His Eyes.

I don't like horror films. 
The film should invite us to watch, not scary us.
Of course this is my opinion.
:)

Haha,the same with me!I guess I would be a hypocrite to say that since I like war movies (gore and violence) but at least in the fields of France in WWI there were no mutated cannibalistic hillbillies chasing you around :) Seriously don't watch Wrong Turn,camping in the woods won't be quite the same :wuerg: The only horror film I can stand is The Blair Witch Project,the only thing that creeped me out in that movie was these things

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

I never really got much into the slasher genre, I tried Friday the 13th and The Burning but they just didn't click for me. The only ones I really liked were the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre and it's remake although the latter is 90% mostly due to R. Lee Ermey stealing ever scene as the psychotic sheriff. I'd say my favorite horror movies from the '80's were Carpenter's The Thing and Videodrome other than that I mostly prefer british horror from the '60's and '70's like The Devil Rides Out and The Wicker Man. The British really made some creepy horror films during that time period.

And on the war movie subject I'd say Apocalypse Now kind of borders on horror movies at times later in the film due to the surreal atmosphere of it.

• Like 1

Yeah Apocalypse Now was pretty trippy.It started out like a normal war film till they started to hit the river.Then it felt like a weird dream but I liked it,"This is the end of the river alright".There's one horror film I don't mind watching and that's Deathwatch.I'm big on all things WWI so this caught my attention,though WWI was pretty much one big horror film anyway like Battle of Verdun (so many human losses that in some areas of the battlefield the ground was mostly human remains than soil :wuerg: ).

I was never a fan of Apocalypse Now myself.  It's a movie about a guy sailing up a river to kill a fat bald guy. I know it's based on Conrad's book but still. The plot's quite simple and it isn't accurate to what the Vietnam war was like. Various well known Vietnam vets have said it wasn't anything like the real thing.I really dislike The Deer Hunter too. That's only great on the basis of the performances. Otherwise it's more self indulgent drivel from Cimino, much like the abomination that was Heaven's Gate. It wasn't an accurate depiction of Vietnam either. Russian Roulette never happened during the Vietnam War. The most accurate Vietnam films were directed by Oliver Stone and Stanley Kubrick.

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre gets my vote as the best horror film ever. Otherwise  the horror genre doesn't do too much for me.I found The Thing unsatisfying. Carpenter was more focused on mood and gore then on character development and dialogue. For me John Carpenter's best film is They Live from 1988. Excellent movie that's very relevant these days

• Like 1

For me John Carpenter's best film is They Live from 1988. Excellent movie that's very relevant these days

They Live is a great 80s film, and sadly the last great film John Carpenter did, even though In the Mouth of Madness (1995) has its moments.

There are few horror movies today that scares me, but in a time were you are just one click away on the net from the real deal I guess its gonna get harder to be shocked than ever, but things were completely different when I was a kid.

I was scared shitless when I first saw Return of The Living Dead (1985) especially the monster in the basement.

Didn't know back then it was just a horror comedy, but it sure spooked me and Tarman used to terrorize me in my dreams for many years to come.

That thing is disgusting Artie,I don't blame ya that it gave you some bad nights :) Anyway,a Fixx song managed to be in a horror flick (note:this film was made in 2009 but it looks very authentic!)

• Like 1

I remember the first time I saw Return of the Living Dead and just thought "what the ....?!!" it hadn't occured to me at that young age it was meant as a comedy as I was used to Romero's films. Last time I watched it a couple of years ago I got a few chuckles out of it. Love the theme to the film though.

Never seen House of the Devil though, looks good. I think they even put it out on VHS to keep with the era it was set in.

• Like 1

episode "The Cows of October" was a horror movie to me :eek: got nightmares of Gerrit Graham coming up to me with a cowboy hat and a picture of a bull in hand,with this big smile and his eyes...like doll eyes... :sick: (joke) :p  :)

I remember the first time I saw Return of the Living Dead and just thought "what the ....?!!" it hadn't occured to me at that young age it was meant as a comedy as I was used to Romero's films. Last time I watched it a couple of years ago I got a few chuckles out of it. Love the theme to the film though.

I saw it at a birthday party back in the early 90s and I was acting all tough and not scared but I still have yet to seen a film with such a frightening/scary looking zombie.

But as I grew older I could clearly see the comedy side of it, and of course I will never get tired of watching the lovely Linnea Quigley as Trash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QOSQPU9Adk

Some horror movies does actually work better as a comedy, and Frank Henenlotter's cult classic Basket Case (1982) is one of those good ol' gritty New York 80s grindhouse releases that you either love or hate but never forgets.

I have loved it since I first saw it 21 years ago.

It's a very funny film and they sure don't make b-movies like that anymore.

Frank put a lot of love into his films and I respect that he against impossible odds still fights to keep getting old forgotten b-movies out to reach new generations of movie freaks that wants something more than just another ordinary love story made up in Hollywood.

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid I remember that there were some scenes in the old James Bond movies that had some pretty scary momements in them.

Specially in some of the Roger Moore films.

The one I will never forget is both gruesome and evil but still very beautiful.

I'm  talking about the scene where Hugo Drax decides to get rid of his lovely young secretary as the only thing she did wrong was to fall for Bond's  charm.

The whole scene looks like it could be taken out of some classic horror film and plays like an fever nightmare along with a very underrated and hauntingly beautiful film score by the great John Barry.

Only wished the music would last a bit longer.

Edited by ArtieRollins

As a kid I remember that there were some scenes in the old James Bond movies that had some pretty scary momements in them.

Specially in some of the Roger Moore films.

The one I will never forget is both gruesome and evil but still very beautiful.

I'm  talking about the scene where Hugo Drax decides to get rid of his lovely young secretary as the only thing she did wrong was to fall for Bond's  charm.

The whole scene looks like it could be taken out of some classic horror film and plays like an fever nightmare along with a very underrated and hauntingly beautiful film score by the great John Barry.

Only wished the music would last a bit longer.

I'm the same boat as you with that scene.I hate that scene.If it was a dude I wouldn't be so p#ssed but what can you do :) The scene that scares the crap out of me is the coyote scene in Stand By Me.You don't see them,just the dudes reaction and that bloody terrifying howling :wuerg: Though it was funny seeing Corey Feldman trying to be bad ass and wanting to check it out only to retreat back when they howl again :p I can't find the vid to that but many here probably seen it,great film!

EDIT:Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDpnE395Ek4

Edited by BlueAir

Ladies and gentleman,I bring you a the '80s finest horror film,Woodchipper Massacre.These are two scenes from the frightening full length movie.The gore and acting is to scream for.

Edited by BlueAir
  • Like 1

Ladies and gentleman,I bring you a the '80s finest horror film,Woodchipper Massacre.These are two scenes from the frightening full length movie.The gore and acting is to scream for.

I actually have this on DVD somewhere in my movie collection but I havent seen it yet, but it sure looks pretty darn good for a Woodchipper slasher film that is.  :D

Last night I had a great time watching Greydon Clark's "classic" b-movie Uninvited (1988).

A slasher were a mutated cat escapes an laboratorium and ends up on a yatch filled with horny teenagers and old mobsters.

I actually have this on DVD somewhere in my movie collection but I havent seen it yet, but it sure looks pretty darn good for a Woodchipper slasher film that is.  :D

Last night I had a great time watching Greydon Clark's "classic" b-movie Uninvited (1988).

A slasher were a mutated cat escapes an laboratorium and ends up on a yatch filled with horny teenagers and old mobsters.

Only the '80s would have something like that :) I haven't seen Woodchipper Massacre either but the expressions on their faces when the aunt dies is priceless!Instead of being extremely traumatized like any other normal person,they treat it as if they broke an expensive vase or something :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

0:42 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ,its jaws doesn't even have a grip on his head :) Nessies roar is funny as hell too :D

Edited by BlueAir

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to making bad movies look "great", Troma were the kings of bad movie trailers in the late 80s and early 90s.

"The Rubber that Rubs you out!"

"Fantastic cinematic special effects could not stop it."

"The most highly developed nuclear flower pot could not stop it."

• 3 weeks later...

Eingefügtes Bild

Came across the late Richard Attenborough's Magic (1978) last week and I was blown away by the performances of Anthony Hopkins and Burgess Meredith.

I thought Hannibal was something, but he has nothing on Corky and Fats.

• 3 months later...

Watched Phantasm (1979) again last night, and I never get tired of the mausoleum scene. 

Some great little special effects, creepy music and Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man is all you need to make a neat horror film.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!!!!

Aside from all this schlock horror, what movies have truly scared you?  For me the most scary and disturbing film I've ever seen is Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.