What if Tubbs had been in Home Invaders?

Tommy Vercetti

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Tommy......good start for interesting discussion!

I really enjoyed Home Invaders. One of my favorites!

The parking lot valet gets info about easy marks at The Hair Emporium. Funny scene with the dog.  :D  A beauty parlor near me is The Hair Gazebo & the owner likes Miami Vice. She cuts my hair like Sonny Crockett in Season 3, so I've been going there. She doesn't charge me the full price, either, so I give her a good tip.

I love the shootout at the end.

Sorry I don't really miss Tubbs in this one!  :o

I thought it was nice to see Castillo and Crockett work together  :D

I concur...that made the episode a rare one, and as Tony D says, one of my favorites.   :cool:

• Like 1

I concur...that made the episode a rare one, and as Tony D says, one of my favorites.   :cool:

Yes I agree made it a rare gem almost!

:D

• Like 1

Here is my original review. Everyone seems to agree that we would have liked to see Tubbs, but the episode is still great even though he's absent.

March 05, 2009 :

"The Home Invaders" was always one of my favorites. It's in my top 5 episodes. There is camaraderie & humor, when Sonny sees his buddies in Robbery & one says, referring to his clothes, Hey, the circus is in town. Sonny says because you work Homicide, you don't have to dress like a dead body!

There is suspense, & action. Good investigative work, especially when Castillo narrows the common denominator between victims down to the Hair Emporium. Gina getting her "Do" there is a glimpse into the Miami High Life! Mrs. Goldman is a blast, the shootout with the punks keeps you on the edge of your seat, & the party where Malone announces his retirement is both sad & happy. I could watch this one over & over! Too bad Tubbs is on leave. I still rate it a 10!

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 3

Here is my original review. Everyone seems to agree that we would have liked to see Tubbs, but the episode is still great even though he's absent.March 05, 2009 :"The Home Invaders" was always one of my favorites. It's in my top 5 episodes. There is camaraderie & humor, when Sonny sees his buddies in Robbery & one says, referring to his clothes, Hey, the circus is in town. Sonny says because you work Homicide, you don't have to dress like a dead body!There is suspense, & action. Good investigative work, especially when Castillo narrows the common denominator between victims down to the Hair Emporium. Gina getting her "Do" there is a glimpse into the Miami High Life! Mrs. Goldman is a blast, the shootout with the punks keeps you on the edge of your seat, & the party where Malone announces his retirement is both sad & happy. I could watch this one over & over! Too bad Tubbs is on leave. I still rate it a 10!

Great locations and music also!

• Like 1

There is one thing that's always bothered me though...how could anyone reading the questionnaires miss the obvious coincidence of them all using The Hair Emporium???  I mean...I think that would just scream off the page way before Castillo drew it out.  Just mho.... :)   

I love the episode anyway!  

• 2 months later...

It would have been one less Castillio episode and that would be sad >.<

and yeah you would have thought just reading through questionnaires that the hair salon would've stuck out like a sore thumb. I guess they overlooked it so it's an excuse for castillio to do the obligatory stare at a wall and think it out loud scene

Guest MetroVice

There is one thing that's always bothered me though...how could anyone reading the questionnaires miss the obvious coincidence of them all using The Hair Emporium???  I mean...I think that would just scream off the page way before Castillo drew it out.  Just mho.... :)   

Indeed, something like that would have been apparent in the initial phase of the investigation but as with a lot of TV shows I guess they didn't think people would delve that far into it to question this. As others have already stated, it was great seeing Crockett & Castillo working together but it was pretty funny seeing Castillo cutting into the other lieutenant the way he did (don't recall his name this minute). He didn't cut him any slack and that guy just L00KED burned out!   :eek:

• 11 months later...

My impression was that the questionnaire was developed by Castillo and was not part of the original investigative work.  Possibly I'm wrong about that, but for me it was why Malone and his team didn't pick up on that connection--their efforts were focused on other avenues.  Castillo was looking at the home invasions with fresh eyes and applying his own techniques.  I did think it was a brilliant way to seek out and find common factors.

Getting back to the question of how different the ep would have been if Tubbs had been in it:  I didn't miss Tubbs at all in the episode, which is a little sad, but it was great to see Crockett and Castillo working together.  I do like Tubbs and normally I think he and Crockett are a great team because they have different personalities and bring different strengths to an investigation.  Even when they are in conflict they are always trying to understand each other.  

Castillo, however, has his own code, and he will follow it regardless of what anyone else thinks.  He is predisposed to like and respect Malone because of Crockett's praise of his former mentor, but when he sees that Malone doesn't respect his input he doesn't try to change Malone's mind or convince Crockett he (Castillo) is right (as I think Tubbs might have done).  He does tell Crockett that Malone is missing important clues but he isn't going to get into a big debate over this guy Crockett admires.  He simply keeps doing his job to the best of his ability, according to his own path.  I think Crockett learned a lot from Castillo in this ep, and one of the things he learned was the path Castillo found to help Malone decide he needed to retire, while still honoring his career accomplishments.  I don't think Tubbs could have been the catalyst for that, or pulled it off with such respect.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I also didn't miss Tubbs in this episode. At first it felt odd not seeing him around, but Castillo more than made up for it in this instance. I think it was great to see his calmer investigative style, as well as him and Crockett working together as a team.

considering all the background information we just got about EJO and what was going down on the set, I think this was a match made in heaven.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I just watched this episode a few hours ago. In all I like it. Its fun to watch, but I did miss PMT! The truth is no matter how cool DJ was in Miami Vice, he needed PMT to make the show work and vice versa. DJ, would have never made Vice work with just himself. Proof of that is DJ career after Vice which hasn't been great at all. He couldn't really carry a show or movie well with just himself. I like DJ as an actor, but truthfully, besides Vice, there isn't much to brag about. Back to Home Invaders: I did not like the two hookers or the old woman. I found all three obnoxious and annoying and stupid. Jan Hammer's music is a highlight. Besides his "Clues" theme which is found in his greatest collection of Vice released in 2002, I'm disappointed that his other themes, especially his reggae theme isn't found in the collection. Such a cool theme! One other thing I did not like about the episode is the neat, easy climax. I wished for something a little more intense or exciting.

• 5 months later...

This is something of a great topic to consider. On the one hand, it is amazing how easily Tubbs was written out of that episode with no problems whatsoever; back in NY to see Valerie. 

Home Invaders comes off to me more as a Castillo episode than anything with the Malone character. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Having Tubbs would have eliminated or diluted the dynamic of conflicting authority figures in Sonny's life, which was part of the point of this ep.  In fact a lot of Season 1 and beyond is about transition with Sonny, and by extension the concept of the cop show itself.  Also we needed to see Castillo handle himself some more in the field to gain Crockett's (and our) respect.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I think we'd have seen Tubbs shooting one of the baddies with his double barrelled shotgun :). I don't think Tubbs in that episode would have made it less good or enjoyable.

On 9/24/2014 at 6:37 AM, Guest MetroVice said:

Indeed, something like that would have been apparent in the initial phase of the investigation but as with a lot of TV shows I guess they didn't think people would delve that far into it to question this. As others have already stated, it was great seeing Crockett & Castillo working together but it was pretty funny seeing Castillo cutting into the other lieutenant the way he did (don't recall his name this minute). He didn't cut him any slack and that guy just L00KED burned out!   :eek:

The lieutenant you are referring to is Malone, a former mentor of Sonny during his days at Metro Police Robbery division.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:20 AM, Bren10 said:

Also we needed to see Castillo handle himself some more in the field to gain Crockett's (and our) respect.

Castillo was a superior officer appointed to OCB by the chief of police, I don't think he needed to gain that much of respect.

16 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Castillo was a superior officer appointed to OCB by the chief of police, I don't think he needed to gain that much of respect.

In terms of position, possibly not. In terms of his own personal conduct, of course he would have needed to show he could handle himself to gain the respect of the troops. Senior officers in special units can often be political appointees or people with the right clout. It's not always about skill.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2015 at 9:39 PM, AzVice said:

i think they would have put Tubbs in Castillo's role , questioning Crockett about his friend not doing a good job.

I think you are right, Tubbs would have called out the bullshit on Lt.Malone and this would have upset Crockett at first, resulting in an argument.

2 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Then you've never held a job or been on a team where your boss or coach was replaced. Or had a step-parent enter your life, for that matter. If you did you'd realize what a ridiculous statement it is you just made.

Tubbs not being in it added levels to the story, it made it much more high-powered.

First off there would have not being any hostility between both departments, we would not have got that brilliant "Clues" scene with Marty looking through files or one of the greatest scenes in the series when he figures out where the bad guys are picking their victims. 

Edited by RedDragon86