MY MIAMI VICE FANTASY LIFE

COOPER&BURNETT

It's a shame that your vice clothes got damaged. But it's pretty cool that your neighbor called you crockett. Also I need to try saying my name is crockett when I order something :cool:

Wow Coop!!!Three is a charm! Buy a lottery ticket for this week's draw my brother....your luck has to change!On another note my MV fantasy will be real this weekend coming up. I am going to be in the Belleville Poker Run with my buddy Chris in his boat. It will be just like the Great McCarthy! Possibly 50 plus boats and fun on the water.I can't take MY VICE as I am having fuel issues right now. I just rebuilt the starbourd carburetor last week and it did not help, so I think my fuel pump must be losing pressure at high speeds. I can only get about 30-35 mph out of the boat right now as the secondaries on the four barrels are starving for fuel on the one engine.Fun this weekend racing with other boats, then maybe the following weekend I'll have time to fix mine?????

Hey COOP, by the sound of it, at least the spills are pretty close to pastel colours:DMaybe wear a rain jacket for pancakes next time:)Good to hear Mike is calling you by your rightfull name now:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the spills and splatters, C&B. Hopefully you got rid of that 'bad karma' in one day.Happy to hear that good ol' Mike now knows your name and is addressing you accordingly. Stinger: Your poker run sounds awesome. I wish I were there to join you. Hopefully you can conclude it with a Great McCarthy like party. Post pics if you can!

The story about Mike always makes me laugh, now he calls you Sonny :thumbsup: ... poor Mike, if he only knew what's behind this situation! Sorry to hear about your experience with pancakes and blueberry jam, I guess this wasn't meant to be a part of your Vice fantasy life. :) You should have demanded the payment for the laundry though, of course without giving your name and number, you could simply bring them the laundry receipt for the reimbursement.

The story about Mike always makes me laugh' date=' now he calls you Sonny :thumbsup: ... poor Mike, if he only knew what's behind this situation! Sorry to hear about your experience with pancakes and blueberry jam, I guess this wasn't meant to be a part of your Vice fantasy life. :) You should have demanded the payment for the laundry though, of course without giving your name and number, you could simply bring them the laundry receipt for the reimbursement.[/quote']I know. I should have. I just didn't want to make a scene in front of my mother and my aunt. If I were there alone, I'd have channeled my inner Crockett, and taken care of business the Crockett way. :thumbsup:

If I were there alone' date=' I'd have channeled my inner Crockett, and taken care of business the Crockett way. :thumbsup:[/quote']I know, I know... clear your desk of all the other cases and make House of Pancacakes' life one miserable hell! :)

I know' date=' I know... clear your desk of all the other cases and make House of Pancacakes' life one miserable hell! :)[/quote']EXACTLY!! :D

I know' date=' I know... clear your desk of all the other cases and make House of Pancacakes' life one miserable hell! :)[/quote']Brilliant!My friend and I once tried to count how many times Crockett says the "I'm going to clear my desk of all my cases..." line.I think it was used about eight times.

• 8 months later...

I've been up to the wee hours reading this thread. Hopefully nobody minds this bump as I found it rather entertaining and rather poignant at the same time. My hats off to everyone already living their Vice fantasies, and rest assured I'm starting out on the same journey. The original post mentioned something about how many people find heroes they like and want to emulate, even if they can't do it all the time. Star Wars/Star Trek fans, etc... you see 'em all the time at conventions, dressed to the nines down to the last possible detail... kinda like C&B's awesome collection. I gotta ask, do you actually wear your screen-worn and vintage items out and about sometimes? I'd be seriously scared to do so. But, as was said before... walk down the street dressed like Darth Vader or Captain Picard, and I'm sure there's going to be some mixed attention, probably not all that positive. Walk down that same street dressed like you just sauntered off the set of Vice, and it's another story entirely. I was born in the early '80s, old enough to catch the original airings. Unfortunately(and I won't make this post into a sob story) I went through some very hard times when I was about that age and had to grow up fast. Never really had the chance to do much fantasizing and playing when I was a kid. However, I did have heroes. Maybe not cartoon characters, but heroes nevertheless. Dirk Pitt, from Clive Cussler's novels. James Bond. Thomas Magnum. And, probably most prominently, Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs. My mom watched Vice and Magnum P.I. quite often, and I would often watch with her... not really understanding the plots as I do now, but focused on the cool characters, music, style, cars, and guns. Unfortunately reality reared its ugly head and I really forgot my roots. Never gave myself time to settle down and be myself. Play a little as well as work. And, yep, I did pay the price. I did have my hobbies and creative outlets, but kept it to writing and stuff that, frankly, was better off left as a job. Nothing extremely relaxing, save my interest in cars and driving. To make a long story short, I've been confronting those past events and making some major changes in my life. Among which is looking back at what made me happy as a kid; those things you wanted to do but never really held onto. That's what really draws me to the Vice style. Knowing I'm doing something now that I wanted to do as a kid but never got the chance to. Walking around dressed like Sonny Crockett. Putting on the sunglasses and cruising around in a fast, unique car(granted it's a BMW and not a Ferrari, but I gotta make do with what I've got... ;) ), walking into a classy restaurant like you're meeting your partner before a long night of staking out a crime boss... stuff like that. Even if it's mundane stuff, going about it with the flair and panache that people just plain lack these days. I've already mentioned this in another thread, but I decided to actually do a half-baked effort at channeling my inner Crockett at my job a couple of months ago. I do delivery driving and all of that stuff at a local flower shop, so for Valentine's Day instead of going for the customary red and white semi-uniform that everyone wears, I decided to try a pastel blue T-shirt, white dress shirt and pants. I know it's a little scary to put yourself out in front of hundreds of people because we all know who we're trying to dress like, but don't be. I got nothing but compliments. Slightly older folks than me seemed to recognize the Vice look and thought it looked great on me. I've worn the same outfit several times since then and have still gotten nothing but compliments. I've browsed and browsed these forums time and time again and have seen many of the members here chime in with their experiences, most of them quite positive. Frankly, it's given me a major confidence boost to know there's other Vicers out there doing the same thing. You guys have such an awesome knowledge base here and it's been more helpful than I could ever possibly give thanks for. Basically, I've gone from a kinda 'facsimile' outfit to impatiently awaiting the arrival of some linen blazers, pants, and pastel Henleys I've ordered to go 'full hog,' so to speak. It's just what I was looking for. Formal enough to look nicer than most of my peers, but casual enough to look like I'm not on my way home from a job in a cubicle farm when I'm out on the town. While I'm sure back in Vice's heyday everyone and their brother sported the look, but now it's unique and stylish. Frankly, I'm excited to start doing this on a more or less constant basis. And, all I can do is give copious amounts of thanks to the folks here who have made it possible. You guys rock.

Terrific story, man. We are born, can't wait to grow up, then can't wait to be able to do things we couldn't back then. The circle of life!

Coop that is terribleluck(i have had it happen to me with very expensive shoes etc)-BUT HEY YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE BACKUP OF YOUR EXTENSIVE VICE WARDROBE TO EASE THE PAIN!

• 3 years later...

Man, I love this thread.  Gotta resurrect it.  I've been having all sorts of Vice moments lately.

There's a dude that's been calling my office alot.  He's got a deep voice and kind of reminds me of Tubbs' old partner, Clarence.  I can pretty much picture him doing his work and whatever else at odd hours, like a DJ might.  When he calls in I use it as an opportunity to throw out all sorts of Vice lines or partial lines such as, "That's outta bounds," or "There's a fine line between hard work, and obsession."

It's the little things that gets ya through the day, isn't it?

• Like 2

One of the girls who works in our local bank likes Miami Vice & Don Johnson, so I usually come in & say "Freeze, Miami Vice!" not too loud, though......I don't want to get arrested. ;)

• Like 3

I've been a cop for over 20 years.  I graduated high school when MV was at its zenith and grew up in a cop family.  When I started the Job in the summer of 1994, one of the first things I bought was a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig for my Sig 229.  Not because of that Scottish guy who worked for MI6, but because of some former football playing Vietnam Vet vice cop in southern Florida.  I work a plainclothes Inspector job now in a place that's just a little colder than Miami, but it's still slacks, blazers/sport coats every day.  The Sig in the shoulder rig has been replaced by an RMR'd Glock 23 just forward of the hip and a J-frame o the ankle.  But always a pair of vintage Wayfarers in black or tortoise, a colored shirt with no tie, and hair just a little longer than policy allows.

Even before that, I bought a white 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider with one of those big full pull-out chassis AM/FM CD stereos that played nothing but Vice/Jan Hammer CD's and 80's complilation CD's.  Not quite a white Testarossa, but Cooper & Burnett is right on about the feel of the Alfa.  

And after a couple of years making that "big" cop overtime, I bought a black '93 Corvette convertible with saddle tan interior.  Spent many, many summer nights driving around with top down; Sig under my arm, and Phil Collins, Russ Ballard, and Jan Hammer playing on the stereo.  After that it was a pale yellow '69 Cadillac DeVille convertible for a few years.  Same gun, same music.  

Now it's a truck, the above-mentioned Glock, Sirius XM 80's on 8, Hair Nation, and Classic Rewind. Along with damn near every tune from the series on my iPod.

And looking WAY back at the high school yearbook and old photos from Homecoming Dances, Dances on the Bay, Senior Balls, or just going out to pizza with the girlfriend of the month; It was like a vintage Chess King catalog or (at least I like to think) MV wardrobe department test stills for some 17-18 year old kid from Northern California who landed his ULTIMATE fantasy DREAM job as a semi-recurring bit-part as "atmospheric personnel" on the greatest cop show EVER.

Some of it is fantasy.  Some of it is nostalgia.  But I think a lot of it is just a little bit more than those two.  It was a wonderful, bright yet dark, flashy yet gritty look into a time that formed the (semi) responsible adults many of us on this forum are today.  And now we have been fortunate enough to have the means to add some of that neon-infused Hugo Boss, Italian exotic, Cuban rhythm, rum and "coke" soaked Miami/Tropic lifestyle into who we are, how we live, and who we still wish we could be in another "someday."

Edited by Marco Falcone
More thoughts
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just took my time to read the whole thread non-stop and have to add it's damn sad COOP isn't participating in the community anymore. 

His postings are so well written and I'm certain he inspired many readers with his stories and photos over the years, and still does. He really managed to put pictures in my mind with his words. Maybe one day he'll decide to return, who knows. 

Meanwhile I'm finishing my coffee and last preparations for the upcoming vacations in Thailand and Cambodia later this week. Some pastel v-necks, henleys, beige and white pants already made it's way into the suitcase, while the wayfarers can't wait to catch tropical sun! The weather in november here in Germany is close to unbearable, so I can't wait for sun and sea! Listening to Jan Hammer tunes, of course. I could also watch "Golden Triangle" later on board :p

Let's take some Vice look to Southeast Asia, and I hope Bangkok's stores offer nice blazers. Bangkok's tailors actually have quite a good reputation, so maybe I can get a nice find! 

• Like 1

Thanks for highlighting this thread again!  It’s very enjoyable to read.  I do miss C&B; I took a little hiatus from here just due to busy personal life (not because of lack of interest).  I was quite active few years ago.  I’m back now and hoping to find more time to contribute.  I’ve got to say, one reason for coming back was a sense that something was missing from life.  MV and this community help a lot with that!  So thanks to everyone here!

Edited by chum981
  • Like 1