TUBBS' GOLD ST. CHRISTOPHER MEDALION NECKLACE PHOTOS

COOPER&BURNETT

For some reason, most people in the MIAMI VICE community have no idea what the gold metalion that hangs around Tubbs' neck is.Although, reciently, I put up a trivia question on it, Ell.a had asked PMT what it was. I found out myself before that (or I wouldn't have asked the trivia question) due to my personal investigation.I'm amazed, and somewhat suprised that nobody has ever created a thread on this, explaining once and for all, what this medalion is, photos of it, and why Tubbs might wear it.I was the first to do it. Here it is once and for all.The gold medalion that hangs around Tubbs neck when he's not wearing a tie is a "SAINT CHRISTOPHER" medalion. It is also known as a "PATRON SAINT OF TRAVELERS" charm.The charm is a CATHOLIC symbol. It depicts St. Christopher carrying JESUS as a boy on his back crossing a river. He is leaning on his staff for support.Christopher means "CHRIST BEARER".This is an ancient symbol that Catholics have worn for protection. Thus the logo on the metal "PROTECT US".Legend has it that anyone who sees an image of St. Christopher will not die that day. Travelers have carried the symbol for thousands of years on thier journeys. It's a bit like a good luck charm, but with devine meaning.More than likely, TUBBS wears it for a feeling of PROTECTION in his undercover job. There are literally countless versions of this symbol. Some look nothing like the type Tubbs wears. Some are oblong, some are silver, some have different depictions of St. Christopher in different poses. Finding one for your collection just like his would be difficult, as the variations are endless.Here is a photo of PHILIP MICHAEL THOMAS as TUBBS wearing the gold ST. CHRISTOPHER MEDALION.Eingefügtes BildThis is the closest image I can find to the one he wears to show you the detail of the Medalion.Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

• Administrators

Cool buddy! Thanks for the info. I, myself, don't get a chance to visit a church and find out these things myself for fear of lightning! :p:)Great research on this!Makes you wonder if Rico made a deal with St. Christopher to protect him, who did Sonny make a deal with? Eh? :)

Cool buddy! Thanks for the info. I' date=' myself, don't get a chance to visit a church and find out these things myself for fear of lightning! :p:)Great research on this!Makes you wonder if Rico made a deal with St. Christopher to protect him, who did Sonny make a deal with? Eh? :)[/quote']This thread is yet ANOTHER vice.ws exclusive.Interesting to note, in HEART OF DARKNESS, when Crockett and Tubbs are getting ready while the DEVO tune "GOING UNDER" is playing, Tubbs picks up the St. Christopher medalion off the table (he had worn it earlier in the day in the episode), and feels it with his thumb, as if to seek protection from it.He wears a necktie in that scene, so either he is wearing it under his shirt and tie for protection, or he simply wanted a moment with it hoping for it's protection.

• Administrators

I'd say we will never know considering Ell.a stated that when she contacted him about it, he stated he only vaguely remembered the necklace.Oh well, another unsolved mystery for MV history.

I'd say we will never know considering Ell.a stated that when she contacted him about it' date=' he stated he only vaguely remembered the necklace.Oh well, another unsolved mystery for MV history.[/quote']And, most likely, the actor wouldn't really wear it under the tie being nobody would actually see it. The question is would the fictional character TUBBS wear it under his shirt and tie for protection, or would he ONLY wear it if it could be seen.

I'd speculate that in that line of work' date=' I would never take the darn thing off myself![/quote']My thinking exactly.

Of course I'd prefer to wear a light weight Kevlar vest to a medal. But that is just me.

To some, GOD, and the protection from ST. CHRISTOPHER is more than enough.Ahh...I'd take the vest too. ;)

Only if it was big enough to cover my check' date=' back and under arms section.[/quote']An 18k Gold KEVLAR St. Christopher metal big enough to cover one's chest would take your entire retirement fund. :rolleyes:

• Administrators

An 18k Gold KEVLAR St. Christopher metal big enough to cover one's chest would take your entire retirement fund. :rolleyes:

Yea, but if I jumped in the water like Tubbs did in "Badge of Dishonor" I would surely drown!

Yea' date=' but if I jumped in the water like Tubbs did in "Badge of Dishonor" I would surely drown![/quote'].....But it would make me invest in a METAL DETECTOR!

Yea' date=' but if I jumped in the water like Tubbs did in "Badge of Dishonor" I would surely drown![/quote']Wait! I just read the flaw in all of this. You would NOT drown, because you'd be protected by the St. Christopher Medalion necklace in the first place!!!! :D

Thanks for the info about the medallion' date=' Coop:clap:[/quote']Your welcome DJAngel. These are the kind of interesting things that I like to specialize in to share with MIAMI VICE fans.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone own one of these medals for thier VICE collections?

I was thinking about getting one for mine.