Episode #14 "Golden Triangle"

Ferrariman

• 8 months later...

Great conclusion to "Score". EJO's acting in this episode was stupendous, from a loving+caring man to an angry, mind-set on getting even warrior. Not only did the episode focus on him, but it had some good acting and funny scenes with S+Z, and the Noog-man! The episode really kept me on the edge of my seat, and I loved the part at the end where Denton says to Castillo "I'm making a quick call to Washington, Castillo" and he replies (shouting) "WRONG! You broke the law! This is Miami, Denton!"The end part where C+T talk to Castillo about going to a bar was golden ;) as well.This one gets a 9/10, solid episode from Season One!

• 1 year later...

Watched "Lethal Weapon 4 " this Evening from 1998 - and saw a few supporting characters from "Golden Triangle " in the film  :D  :fireworks: 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "Lethal Weapon 4 " this Evening from 1998 - and saw a few supporting characters from "Golden Triangle " in the film  :D  :fireworks: 

Which actors from "Golden Triangle" were in Lethal Weapon ?

• 5 months later...

One of the most well written and directed episodes of S1. Seriously it's amazing.

+The character development for Castillo and C&T's relationship is wonderful

+Noogie is hilarious, he even does a stereotypical asian accent

+Joan chen is beautiful

+"one howie wong to go" xD

+ Trial and search is one of the best jan hammer tunes, used again in Yankee dollar.

the directing feels so modern and ahead of it's time it's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always felt GT 1-2 were both a spectacular mix of story, action and mood. I went back and watched them both last night. I could write a long review on what was done right here, but it is quicker to drop my one very minor negative observation. Near the end of part one, we witness a magnificent fight scene between Castillo and a "Thai assassin".  I remember watching this so long ago and being excited for part two, because...Thai assassins! Sadly, there really weren't any in part two for Castillo and the gang to deal with. Just a slight thing, however, as again I find both episodes divine. The acting, directing, music, all hit the marks here in an excellent two part experience. 

• Like 1

'Golden Triangle' is an episode with excellent pacing and just so much variety. The way the story expands in scope is remarkable in its deftness. Another big high-point for the classic Season 1.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

"Golden Triangle" could have been a feature film all on its own. It just had everything. I think not even "Prodigal Son" (which was arguably when Miami Vice really started going big) was as good as Golden Triangle.

Some of the early season 1 episodes have the best storylines of the entire five seasons. Like, I watched "The Home Invaders" again the other night. I've probably seen it a dozen times in my life, but it's still simply stunning every time. Just incredibly taut and gripping.

Also, "Golden Triangle" has Film Noir written all over it, with an enigmatic crime boss relocating to Miami who used to be an important adversary of Castillo, and holds Castillo's former wife as collateral. That's just about a Film Noir enthusiast's wet dream :)

My only "niggle" would be that part 1 spends a bit too much time piecing together what's really going on, while the main story thread of this two-parter doesn't actually come into being until the beginning of part two.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2016 at 1:36 AM, Daytona74 said:

"Golden Triangle" could have been a feature film all on its own. It just had everything. I think not even "Prodigal Son" (which was arguably when Miami Vice really started going big) was as good as Golden Triangle.

Some of the early season 1 episodes have the best storylines of the entire five seasons. Like, I watched "The Home Invaders" again the other night. I've probably seen it a dozen times in my life, but it's still simply stunning every time. Just incredibly taut and gripping.

Also, "Golden Triangle" has Film Noir written all over it, with an enigmatic crime boss relocating to Miami who used to be an important adversary of Castillo, and holds Castillo's former wife as collateral. That's just about a Film Noir enthusiast's wet dream

My only "niggle" would be that part 1 spends a bit too much time piecing together what's really going on, while the main story thread of this two-parter doesn't actually come into being until the beginning of part two.

Great review - great episodes - well written and directed . 10/10:D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is Miami. Not Asia.

I love the Oriental vibe of the episode. Always cool to see Castillo with a larger role. Also, Joan Chen is gorgeous. And The Trial is a great piece of music. Love the return of Noogie.

However, i have no interest in seeing Castillo in a speedo again. He's no Daniel Craig.

9/10

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

that episode wouldn't have been the same without Robin Johnson

edit: somebody knows the name of that drink

UK5NXuU.jpg

Edited by jpaul1

• 1 month later...

I agree, Robin Johnson was very important in the first Golden Triangle episode; I thought her character of Candy was fantastic ("Ain't this the cabbage patch?" he he).

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:23 PM, jpaul1 said:

that episode wouldn't have been the same without Robin Johnson

edit: somebody knows the name of that drink

UK5NXuU.jpg

Have you ever watched John Carpenters classic Big Trouble In Little China? because the guy on the left is one of the 3 storms "Rain"

Image result for big trouble in little china

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Last night I noticed Crockett missed a belt loop in the scene where he’s rubbing the oil on Candy’s shoulders by the pool. 

Okay, as you were...

:done:

ps- all belt loops were hit in the interrogation room :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Last night I noticed Crockett missed a belt loop in the scene where he’s rubbing the oil on Candy’s shoulders by the pool. 

Okay, as you were...

:done:

ps- all belt loops were hit in the interrogation room :) 

You know you've watched an episode too many times when you notice a belt loop instead of oiled shoulders! :hot:

But I'm guilty of it as well.  I actually enjoy watching stuff I've seen a billion times and try to catch little things like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Other than a cringey opening with Castillo awkwardly swimming and emerging in a speedo, an all-around excellent episode that hits on all points. John Santucci (actually a reformed jewel thief before he regressed and was arrested again for the crime) was sufficiently sleazy as Denton and set the tone for the shady people the crew would be hunting for. I liked how Castillo had no issues with going directly to Lao Li's house and letting him know he's going to be watching his every move. It showed how this was a very personal case for him and was willing to bend rules a bit to make his point. Funny seeing Peter Kwong as the grandson before his role in Big Trouble in Little China. I felt bad for Castillo in that he clearly still cared for his wife but was stuck in a no-win situation. At first I thought her son, who doesn't really look 100% Asian, was Martin's and it would throw a whole other wrinkle into the mix. In the end he handled everything as professionally as his character would deem, so it all fell into place. A winner and seminal episode.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today I watched Golden Triangel Part One. I didn´t read what the others have written about this episode in the past, so it can be that I repeat things others have said before. 
It´s a great episode where we learn more about Castillo and as every time I watch it, I think that no one else could have played Castillo´s role as perfect als EJO did. This gaze, this short and precisly way to tell or explain things ... and the surprise at the end of part one when he reveals to his team that the woman in the photo is his wife. That was the perfect cliffhanger. 
But I also like Sonny as he was sitting at the pool, playing the shy, insecure man from Wichita.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 3

On 5/23/2010 at 11:41 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This was originally "Golden Triangle" PT. 2...as "The Score" was "Golden Triangle" PT. 1.This, along with PT. 1, is awesome and a very interesting but mysterious delve into Castillo's past! I love the plot idea of May Ying being Castillo's long lost wife and General Lao Li is using her as leverage to keep the cops away.As was Calderone to Crockett and Tubbs...Lao Li was definitely Castillo's biggest nemisis. The sparring between them was awesome and I love how Castillo ends up getting him.This was definitely the first shining or superb moment for Edward James Olmos--later came "Bushido", which he also directed.I gave "Golden Triangle" (PT. 2) an 8! :thumbsup:

On 2/16/2021 at 2:15 PM, Mr. Vigilante said:

image.png.9fad1b089307f189ef6829a4458d85ca.png

Just to clarify...Castillo doesn't wear Speedos.  Speedos wear Castillo.

These were my original thoughts, and a reference to the Speedos Castillo wore, lol! 

I love the 2-part Score & Golden Triangle (later retitled Golden Triangle Pts.1&2 for syndication)! This is really the first time we get to start knowing Castillo, and some of his past. The tragic past-love of May Ying was a superb plot angle, and I actually like this because it shows that Castillo is human & imperfect as well!

He’s always very by-the-book & the law is the law. But, in this we get to see he knows all kinds of martial arts, there’s a whole past we don’t really know much about yet, and even he sometimes gives into anger. ;) 

Beginning was interesting & hilarious, plot was awesome, performances were amazing, Castillo even smiles & has his dry humor of “Call next time”, fashion was good, Wichita is mentioned...I now give both together an 8.5-9! 

As for Speedos...from the late 60s thru early 90s, they were in style especially in more tropical places. Crockett also wore some occasionally. Probably not what most would wear in current times...but if you have the body & you’re in the right geographical location...who cares? :p 

• Like 1