Episode #14 "Golden Triangle"

Ferrariman

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, Lao’s grandsons weren’t exactly the sharpest swords in grandpa’s supposed collection. :p 

I actually like this 2-parter better than “Bushido”. For some reason “Bushido” just seems strange to me & doesn’t come-together quite right...but to each his or her own. :funky:  

I have to agree with you on 'Bushido', as I enjoy that Castillo's background is given more depth, along Jack Gretsky (the great one!), and his family, but the episode as a whole doesn't completely come together for me either. So, I like the characters there more than I dig the actual story (I do like like Castillo telling little Marty the story of the warrior, stuff like that, and I thought the climax was exciting). I mean, I like Surf as a character (By the way, I thought David Rasche RULED in "Sledge Hammer!": "Trust me, I know what I'm doing". No you don't Sledge, he he), but I also feel he's a bit of an awkward fit. Still, I'd give the episode 2 1/2 out of four stars (the characterization is 4/4 for me though), but definitely like 'The Golden Triangle' story (especially how the story takes a wicked left turn towards the end of Part 1; talk about being had unconditionally!) better (then again, it was given more time to jell).

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
needed re-wording
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, Lao’s grandsons weren’t exactly the sharpest swords in grandpa’s supposed collection. :p 

I actually like this 2-parter better than “Bushido”. For some reason “Bushido” just seems strange to me & doesn’t come-together quite right...but to each his or her own. :funky:  

Heh heh, the weirdness of Bushido is what I like about it! :eek:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Heh heh, the weirdness of Bushido is what I like about it! :eek:

That’s what makes the “show” go-around! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

This is a beautiful episode. Definitely one of the better S1 episodes. 9/10 

Out of the 3 main Castillo themed episodes (the other ones are Bushido and Heart of night) this one is the best, not by much compared to Bushido and a lot compared to Heart of night; because it invloves the main characters and Castillo proprotionately, the backstory is fresh, there is good action and keeps you engaged from the moment it starts till it finnishes.

Nice touches incldue the music and the Lamborghini Countach; and it also combines the bright atmoshpere of the day with that of the night perfectly, and nothing seems forced as in subsequent episodes from later seasons.

And the Castillo-May Ling story is actually done well here compared to Heart of night in my opinion.

And by the end of it Castillo officialy became an important part of the show.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Obviously a 10 for so many reasons but what else was magic was the locations, especially where Tubb's smacks that cop down was majestic, with the calm breeze blowing the trees and night sky in the background, my god you can almost feel that beautiful atmosphere coming from the screen.Untitled.png.ab0de06347079331d8631e038535f29c.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Obviously a 10 for so many reasons but what else was magic was the locations, especially where Tubb's smacks that cop down was majestic, with palm trees and night sky in the background, my god you can almost feel that beautiful atmosphere coming from the screen.

Great review 10 out of 10 all the way!

• 6 months later...

Second part of Golden Triangle is my favorite Season 1 episode.

Not only amazing acting by Castillo but the guys who played Dave Menton (later seen in Lombard) and Lao Li were superb. The dialogue was also spot on, especially when Castillo meets Lao Li in his Mercedes Pullman. 

And of course Jan Hammer's "Trial and the Search" could be one of his best compositions ever. We only hear the Trial part but it's absolutely perfect fit. Usually the weak link is the bad acting from supportive actors (like Candy and the two crooks in part I) but the part II had none. Castillo's ex-wife and his new husband were decent as well.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Two of the best episodes in Season 1 . Just excellent , I give 10 out of 10.

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Epic episodes! :thumbsup:

Yeah, originally titled “Score” (Pt. 1) and “Golden Triangle” (Pt. 2)...these two episodes were definitely some of the best in Season 1! These were the best Castillo centered episodes (although there were others), in my opinion. :thumbsup: :clap:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I particularly prefer the p1. Second part i think it lost power.

I love both...Pt. 2 I especially love how Castillo, Crockett & Tubbs trap & take down Dale Menton and Lao Li—especially by using Li’s moron grandsons to be his downfall! 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 4:51 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I love both...Pt. 2 I especially love how Castillo, Crockett & Tubbs trap & take down Dale Menton and Lao Li—especially by using Li’s moron grandsons to be his downfall! 

So true , excellent. 10 out of 10

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Is this pool area the same one we see in "Junk Love"

Fashion Friday] - Golden Triangle: Part I : r/MiamiVice

Yes—also in the aerial in Phil the Shill when Phil takes Sarah home from the mall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

What tune are the grandsons playing on the car horn? :) It’s a familiar Chinese jingle I have heard before, but I just can’t figure out the name of it at all. 

Edited by Detective_Crockett

8 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

What tune are the grandsons playing on the car horn? :) It’s a familiar Chinese jingle I have heard before, but I just can’t figure out the name of it at all. 

It's in Kung Fu Fighting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

It's in Kung Fu Fighting.

2 questions:

- does the song predate that tune? I’ve always thought opposite 

- the “whoa ho ho ho” in Kung Fu Fighting is the exact same as the one in The Eagles’ The Best of My Love. What kind of therapy do I need?

Edited by Dadrian
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

An old view of the Ma Kao (then the China Palace), 8001 Biscayne Blvd, Miami (Howie Wong’s)

IngoldentrianglepartsoneandtwofromMiamiSpringsHistoricalSociety.thumb.jpg.e1398cf217d5968fb2061d644fd8d252.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2