Episode #14 "Golden Triangle"

Ferrariman

This second episode shaped the show in my opinion.

Once Marty opened up and became closer to the Vice team the show was made.

Castillo is such a unique character.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, OCBman said:

Bushido Briefs!

Castillo's opening scene there (with the slo-mo & the song) should've been a commercial for Bushido Briefs: "Bushido Briefs: it's the way of the samurai!"

• Haha 2

From the 70s-80s Speedos were in style in more tropical/beach locations. If you’ve got the martial arts/military/DEA/law enforcement body...why not? :funky:

• Like 1

I'd like to comment on Howie Wong, who I find to be a humorous character ("Some say I look like Robert Redford" Ha!). Yeah, the way Noogie identified him to Switek & Zito would be considered insensitive today (still funny to me). Also, he's a pivotal figure in unraveling the doings of Lao Li and wiping the smugness away from Menton ("WRONG!": love that from Castillo). He's such a cheerful fella as well, unlike that Ma Sek ("Die...like a professional". That's cold, but...professional:glossy:).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Bushido Briefs: “Scale your bathroom wall in style” :) 

That could be the magazine ad, with Castillo climbing a bathroom wall; I like it!

• Like 1

The Speedos were in “Golden Triangle”...not “Bushido”. So, the name doesn’t really work. :p However, as for advertising a supposed cleaner for humorous purposes...scaling a bathroom wall to get rid of scum that causes you pain & trouble (bad guys for the show...soap scum for the product) would be hilarious! :)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The Speedos

I believe we already addressed that they were not Speedos, but Bushido Briefs! :) 

And Castillo lived by the Bushido Code for all five seasons, so the name will always work. :) :) :) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I believe we already addressed that they were not Speedos, but Bushido Briefs! :) 

And Castillo lived by the Bushido Code for all five seasons, so the name will always work. :) :) :) 

Lol...there’s no such thing as Bushido Briefs (or I probably would have gotten me some). :) To Castillo, they were probably Samurai-Speedos! :p

I don’t know if Castillo actually lived by the Bushido code...but the Castillo Code! You know you’re doing fine if he stays behind his desk. But...he has to come out from behind that desk, you’d better haul “butt” while you still have a butt to haul! ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...there’s no such thing as Bushido Briefs (or I probably would have gotten me some).

Haaaa!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

All this Castillo awesomeness is making me think we need a thread of "Castillo Facts"!!  :dance:

Start it up!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

All this Castillo awesomeness is making me think we need a thread of "Castillo Facts"!! 

Here is such a thread!

I also find it a pity that many exciting discussions that go beyond the specific episode disappear into the depths of the episode threads.
But at least for the character discussions there is a separate forum/topic (?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:59 PM, Dadrian said:

I agree, in a flawed society, Castillo did his best to live the way of the warrior, to be true to what he believed in. Now, due to his occupation & being human he couldn't always live up to that (I mean, he had bureaucratic rules and there were also times when he'd get heated, like with Menton in 'The Golden Triangle' and whatever it was he did or didn't do to Borrasca in 'Borrasca'; but then again, "The Code"), but I still feel that he was a character of honor who performed his duties (occupational & personal conduct) selflessly. I think Castillo was Bushido the second he walked through the OCB door, and especially when he stared at Crockett when Crockett said he didn't file the report yet; as Tubbs later said, Castillo doesn't give an inch, and Crockett replied that he can't. Bushido forever!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, in a flawed society, Castillo did his best to live the way of the warrior, to be true to what he believed in. Now, due to his occupation & being human he couldn't always live up to that (I mean, he had bureaucratic rules and there were also times when he'd get heated, like with Menton in 'The Golden Triangle' and whatever it was he did or didn't do to Borrasca in 'Borrasca'; but then again, "The Code"), but I still feel that he was a character of honor who performed his duties (occupational & personal conduct) selflessly. I think Castillo was Bushido the second he walked through the OCB door, and especially when he stared at Crockett when Crockett said he didn't file the report yet; as Tubbs later said, Castillo doesn't give an inch, and Crockett replied that he can't. Bushido forever!

To take it into a funny level, recently I've been thinking about the Castillo character in a "Full house"-type of setup (life lessons, Bushido-style!) and how complex double dating with him would be (I mean, he has two May Ying's: I can picture asking Castillo, "Which May Ying are you taking out tonight?", and he responds, with his penetrating stare, "Both"-cue that Jan Hammer music. Oh yeah, this is still a part of that "Full house" setup:funky:).

• Haha 1

When Castillo asks Crockett and Tubbs to take him for a drink, he drank both of them under the table and was still up at sunrise for his morning Tai Chi session.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

When Castillo asks Crockett and Tubbs to take him for a drink, he drank both of them under the table and was still up at sunrise for his morning Tai Chi session.

Yep, Crockett was wiped out like he would be at the beginning of 'The Home Invaders' (Tubbs probably stuck to virgin drinks or club soda:cheers:), but Castillo was up and doing his routine for sure. The way that Castillo throws down that Cuban coffee, I have no doubt (also, he's Castillo). I also imagine he closed the bar after breaking his office phone in 'The Big Thaw':).

• 1 month later...

This has one of the funniest/cringiest scenes: Lao Li's grandsons rig up a horn for their Lamborghini which does that famous stereotypical Asian motif and they think it's the funniest thing in the world!  What idiots!  We also get Noogie,  and Stan and Larry's bug van. ("Here's Yogi and Boo-Boo come to fill their picnic basket!")

It's good to have that comic relief because otherwise this is an intense episode.  I especially like the Castillo-centric ones with global intrigue and high-level corruption. We also get excellent guests like Keye Luke, Joan Chen and John Santucci. (The interior of Menton's place sure is a knockout with its heavy blacks and neon blues and pinks.)

We get a continuation of Castillo's background in SE Asia next season in one of my all-time favorite episodes (not just of MV, but for all of TV), "Bushido." 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

This has one of the funniest/cringiest scenes: Lao Li's grandsons rig up a horn for their Lamborghini which does that famous stereotypical Asian motif and they think it's the funniest thing in the world!  What idiots!  We also get Noogie,  and Stan and Larry's bug van. ("Here's Yogi and Boo-Boo come to fill their picnic basket!")

It's good to have that comic relief because otherwise this is an intense episode.  I especially like the Castillo-centric ones with global intrigue and high-level corruption. We also get excellent guests like Keye Luke, Joan Chen and John Santucci. (The interior of Menton's place sure is a knockout with its heavy blacks and neon blues and pinks.)

We get a continuation of Castillo's background in SE Asia next season in one of my all-time favorite episodes (not just of MV, but for all of TV), "Bushido." 

Yeah, Lao’s grandsons weren’t exactly the sharpest swords in grandpa’s supposed collection. :p 

I actually like this 2-parter better than “Bushido”. For some reason “Bushido” just seems strange to me & doesn’t come-together quite right...but to each his or her own. :funky:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1