Episode #111 "Freefall"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

I don't think much can be said, timm525.I'm giving the finale an 8, it's a good finale that does actually bring closure to the series which is very rare for television, the only complaint I have isn't neccessarily with the episode itself is that the episode feels kind of abrupt, I usually rate an episode based on the merits of the episode itself but I have to take points off as there just wasn't a significant build-up from previous episodes, if you didn't know this was the end of Vice you wouldn't even notice it until the last twenty or so minutes of the episode and you'd be more angry and dumbfounded than anything, they should have at least had a few episodes that built it up to where it hinted that the end is coming. I can't help but knock points off for that.Still, I'm glad the series did end in the 80's because the series wouldn't have become such a strong chronicle of the era if it continued on into another decade, the series has become one of the first things associated with the '80's and if it continued on into the '90's I think the reputation of the series would have diminished, it ended at the right time and is now a legend that paved the way for shows like Homicide and NYPD Blue to be made.Actually I was wrong, there is much to say, but to sum it all up easily: Without Vice, TV in the '90's would have sucked.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I give the series finale a strong 7. Although it had no ties to any previous episodes, it brought the the vice squad to an ending at the right time. It's just unfortunate that Jan Hammer had no part in this finale at all. Despite that, this wrapped up the greatest tv police drama that was ever conceived!

• 4 weeks later...

A good episode, but took some time to lift off. Very emotional end.Repeating actress.With goodwill, 7.5.

• Like 1

I would say a nine.I do like it when Sonny finds out that Tubbs had been taken and goes and sees highsmith and says if he doesn't tell him where his partner is hes going to turn that pretty wall into a expressionist painting.Then the other one towards the end to borbon when he threatens to kill Crockett and Tubbs and Crockett says Do it,if you've got the stones.

• 2 months later...

I just watched Freefall today (on my iPhone at the gym - Thank you hulu+ :D)It is a sad episode and it is quite heart wrenching to see the series actually ending vs not being renewed and storyline left open.It was a strong goodbye.My only negative is the diminished role of the rest of the cast (true for season 5). They have one liners here and there but no real role in the series anymore. You see that very well during the last minutes when they show a recap of all the 5 seasons and you realize that MV had turned into the Don Johnson show.J.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just watched this episode - again !!It is a sad episode, not the actual episode itself and the storyline, but the fact that you know it is the last ever episode. All the characters that we've come to know and love 'conveniently' turn up throughout and they have all changed so much.Not so much 'Tubbs' but 'Crockett' was definately starting to look tired.I would rate the episode a 7 overall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SONNY'S Last Exit From the St. VitusI just noticed that the St. Vitus is completely devoid of any "FL xxxxx" Boat Registration Numbers on the starboard side of the bow focsule area of the boat.....I have seen them on other boats used on MV. Mostly borrowed or leased (day shoot) versions of nice boats, probably from local owners that stood in line to get 'their' boat used on the popular series, 'back in the day'.....Also, during that classic scene, notice how as Sonny exits the boat after a couple strides and switching his packed suitcase to the other hand, on the pier he raises his left arm abruptly ... seemingly to clear his rolled up sleeve from his watchband....and odd 'final take' in my opinion. Followed by the classic 'final look' back at the St. Vitus and Scarab...almost the proverbial 'good riddance'...and love the Ode to Kansas JayHawks T-shirt he wore....probably told the wardrobe folks to "FO"...and said, either I wear this shirt or find a double......which would be owed to DJ...he 'owns' the persona of the Crockett / Burnett character....very interesting.....

The ending was just it how it has to be.some times you see a movie or a TV serial and at the ending you feel like some thing is missing or it would be done better,but the Miami Vice ending fitted just right:clap:

• Like 1

Gave the last episode an nice fat 8... :thumbsup: Hated to see the show end, but like myself, this was the greatest and most memorable times, that sticks like glue in the back of my memory. Man, the music, actors, and clothing wardrobe was fantastic. The show was, and always will be, the greatest TV to Music scores ever produced for television ..... :radio: You will never again hear or see such great singer/composer and actor teamwork in a show. :glossy:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Excellent episode. One of the best. Why couldn't seasons 4 and 5 be more like this?Great plot, music etc. A great way to finish.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I know many here think this was a wonderful ending to the show…I’m sorry but I disagree! This was a ridiculous plot, and much of it did not even take place in Miami! It also seemed very disjointed and everything was just kind of thrown together. :rolleyes:I also found Sonny and Rico’s reasons for changing their minds and deciding to take the almost impossible mission stupid and over-the-top. The scene at the bar where Rico talks Sonny into doing it annoys me. Tubbs was like “Do you want to live forever?” I was like…well, Crockett has a son who still needs him…so yeah he might want to live a while longer yet. But, no…none of them thought about family or friends.Once out of the country, trying to get the General, I love the scene where Sonny and Rico are riding in this either Dodge Aspen or Plymouth Volare. The reason I find this scene somewhat funny is because the Volare changes after its blown up. The first one Crockett and Tubbs are sitting in is a newer model with square headlights…then once it’s blown up it changes to an older model with circle headlights. However, I love the old 1965 or ’66 Ford Galaxie the Alissia and her soldiers are driving when they rescue Sonny and Rico after the old Volare is toast! :thumbsup:I don’t know…this whole “suicide” mission episode just seemed ridiculous and over-the-top. I also was sick of Stan and his pathetic gambling problem. :rolleyes: That just kept being sort of “thrown” in certain episodes as a weird “filler” or something. Sometimes it just didn’t jive or go with what the main storyline was about, and came off more stupid than anything else. This episode was also a very sad and depressing ending for the show! :evil:This was NOT a fitting ending and it leaves you hanging…there is no closure! It just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth, and it concludes on a rancid note. :thumbsdown:However, the music wasn’t too bad. I especially liked the Phil Collins/Genesis song Land of Confusion! :radio: I also liked one of the scenes towards the end where Crockett is wearing a KU T-shirt under his white jacket. :clap: I live in Kansas and of course like the Kansas and KU ties Don Johnson has…even if he really doesn’t acknowledge them much anymore. ;) I also liked the colors and fashion in this one, as well as Izzy’s scenes! Even though I usually couldn’t stand Izzy earlier in the show I actually kind of liked him towards the end.I’m sorry but I’m not a fan of this series finale episode…and feel it should have been WAY better than this—Season 5 as a whole was much better than this (except for maybe “Miracle Man” and “Jack of All Trades”)! I actually sometimes like watching the episodes in the original order they were aired…as originally “World of Trouble”, “Miracle Man”, and “Leap of Faith” were aired after “Freefall”…going into June of 1989. That way “Freefall” isn’t the last episode I see, and am left ticked off. They should have had “World of Trouble” as the series finale…Lombard was one of the first bad guys (who turned out to not be so bad after all) that Crockett and Tubbs went after…so they could have ended with him as well. If they would have improved that episode some and got rid of the goofy HAVOC crap, they really could have made it into a worthwhile finale that involved everyone! :baby:But, nothing good or satisfying ever happened or occurred in “Freefall”…it was pretty depressing and annoying. But, I will say I liked the montage of scenes from the whole show at the very end…that was a nice touch—along with literally ending with the ending scene of the “pilot” TV movie “Brother’s Keeper”. But, overall I just don’t think this was that good of an episode or finale for one of the most innovative shows in TV history! :evil: I would rate this one lower…but because of the colors, fashion, some music used, and the ending montage I gave this one a 5.

• Like 4

I agree. It's taken me over a year and a half to get through the entire series and I had high expectations for the finale. So many have said so much about this episode that I was really expecting something great. Now, the ep. started out great. The opening car chase did make me feel like I was FINALLY watching classic Vice. Mostly because after season 3 we hardly ever saw the Testerossa in action, and when we did it was re-used shots from Season 3. But unfortunately the episode had a rather lackluster plot that I didn't really care for. After the episode was half over, I kept expecting the story to end and for the rest of the episode to concentrate on tying up loose ends with all the characters. I should've remembered that a lot have also said that the rest of the cast doesn't get a proper send off.To me, Crockett and Tubbs deciding to retire seems to almost come out of nowhere. There should've been more hints to it leading to this in previous episodes. Maybe Sonny finally wants to be a better father and thinks about moving to the neighborhood his ex lives in. With Tubbs it would've been even easier if you watch the episodes in order, and you see how much he still cares about Valerie. Between the characters just deciding to quit like that, Castillo just conveniently showing up outta nowhere to tell them to reconsider, C&T's badges being on the line, it just seems all too rushed.I give the finale a 4 out of 10. Great opening chase, as well as some other driving scenes. Great callbacks to the first episode with C&T racing for the dock to stop the plane, and using Phil Collins.Looking forward to re-watching the series again. This time in their production date order, continuity be damned.

• Like 4

I agree. It's taken me over a year and a half to get through the entire series and I had high expectations for the finale. So many have said so much about this episode that I was really expecting something great. Now' date=' the ep. started out great. The opening car chase did make me feel like I was FINALLY watching classic Vice. Mostly because after season 3 we hardly ever saw the Testerossa in action, and when we did it was re-used shots from Season 3. But unfortunately the episode had a rather lackluster plot that I didn't really care for. After the episode was half over, I kept expecting the story to end and for the rest of the episode to concentrate on tying up loose ends with all the characters. I should've remembered that a lot have also said that the rest of the cast doesn't get a proper send off.To me, Crockett and Tubbs deciding to retire seems to almost come out of nowhere. There should've been more hints to it leading to this in previous episodes. Maybe Sonny finally wants to be a better father and thinks about moving to the neighborhood his ex lives in. With Tubbs it would've been even easier if you watch the episodes in order, and you see how much he still cares about Valerie. Between the characters just deciding to quit like that, Castillo just conveniently showing up outta nowhere to tell them to reconsider, C&T's badges being on the line, it just seems all too rushed.I give the finale a 4 out of 10. Great opening chase, as well as some other driving scenes. Great callbacks to the first episode with C&T racing for the dock to stop the plane, and using Phil Collins.Looking forward to re-watching the series again. This time in their production date order, continuity be damned.[/quote']Very good sentiments and I totally agree, Tyler! Not a proper send off and everything was just too rushed and "slammed" together. If I had to rate this episode again...I think I'd vote a 4 too. :(
I know many here think this was a wonderful ending to the show…I’m sorry but I disagree! This was a ridiculous plot' date=' and much of it did not even take place in Miami! It also seemed very disjointed and everything was just kind of thrown together. :rolleyes:I also found Sonny and Rico’s reasons for changing their minds and deciding to take the almost impossible mission stupid and over-the-top. The scene at the bar where Rico talks Sonny into doing it annoys me. Tubbs was like “Do you want to live forever?†I was like…well, Crockett has a son who still needs him…so yeah he might want to live a while longer yet. But, no…none of them thought about family or friends.Once out of the country, trying to get the General, I love the scene where Sonny and Rico are riding in this either Dodge Aspen or Plymouth Volare. The reason I find this scene somewhat funny is because the Volare changes after its blown up. The first one Crockett and Tubbs are sitting in is a newer model with square headlights…then once it’s blown up it changes to an older model with circle headlights. However, I love the old 1965 or ’66 Ford Galaxie the Alissia and her soldiers are driving when they rescue Sonny and Rico after the old Volare is toast! :thumbsup:I don’t know…this whole “suicide†mission episode just seemed ridiculous and over-the-top. I also was sick of Stan and his pathetic gambling problem. :rolleyes: That just kept being sort of “thrown†in certain episodes as a weird “filler†or something. Sometimes it just didn’t jive or go with what the main storyline was about, and came off more stupid than anything else. This episode was also a very sad and depressing ending for the show! :evil: [u']This was NOT a fitting ending and it leaves you hanging…there is no closure! It just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth, and it concludes on a rancid note. :thumbsdown:However, the music wasn’t too bad. I especially liked the Phil Collins/Genesis song Land of Confusion! :radio: I also liked one of the scenes towards the end where Crockett is wearing a KU T-shirt under his white jacket. :clap: I live in Kansas and of course like the Kansas and KU ties Don Johnson has…even if he really doesn’t acknowledge them much anymore. ;) I also liked the colors and fashion in this one, as well as Izzy’s scenes! Even though I usually couldn’t stand Izzy earlier in the show I actually kind of liked him towards the end.I’m sorry but I’m not a fan of this series finale episode…and feel it should have been WAY better than this—Season 5 as a whole was much better than this (except for maybe “Miracle Man†and “Jack of All Tradesâ€)! I actually sometimes like watching the episodes in the original order they were aired…as originally “World of Troubleâ€, “Miracle Manâ€, and “Leap of Faith†were aired after “Freefallâ€â€¦going into June of 1989. That way “Freefall†isn’t the last episode I see, and am left ticked off. They should have had “World of Trouble†as the series finale…Lombard was one of the first bad guys (who turned out to not be so bad after all) that Crockett and Tubbs went after…so they could have ended with him as well. If they would have improved that episode some and got rid of the goofy HAVOC crap, they really could have made it into a worthwhile finale that involved everyone! :baby:But, nothing good or satisfying ever happened or occurred in “Freefallâ€â€¦it was pretty depressing and annoying. But, I will say I liked the montage of scenes from the whole show at the very end…that was a nice touch—along with literally ending with the ending scene of the “pilot†TV movie “Brother’s Keeperâ€. But, overall I just don’t think this was that good of an episode or finale for one of the most innovative shows in TV history! :evil: I would rate this one lower…but because of the colors, fashion, some music used, and the ending montage I gave this one a 5.

Sorry...I still stick with my review and rating (except I might lower it to a 4 if I could). :evil:

This was NOT a fitting ending and it leaves you hanging…there is no closure! It just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth, and it concludes on a rancid note. :thumbsdown:However, the music wasn’t too bad. I especially liked the Phil Collins/Genesis song Land of Confusion! :radio: I also liked one of the scenes towards the end where Crockett is wearing a KU T-shirt under his white jacket. :clap: I live in Kansas and of course like the Kansas and KU ties Don Johnson has…even if he really doesn’t acknowledge them much anymore. ;) I also liked the colors and fashion in this one, as well as Izzy’s scenes! Even though I usually couldn’t stand Izzy earlier in the show I actually kind of liked him towards the end.I’m sorry but I’m not a fan of this series finale episode…and feel it should have been WAY better than this—Season 5 as a whole was much better than this (except for maybe “Miracle Man†and “Jack of All Tradesâ€)! I actually sometimes like watching the episodes in the original order they were aired…as originally “World of Troubleâ€, “Miracle Manâ€, and “Leap of Faith†were aired after “Freefallâ€â€¦going into June of 1989. That way “Freefall†isn’t the last episode I see, and am left ticked off. They should have had “World of Trouble†as the series finale…Lombard was one of the first bad guys (who turned out to not be so bad after all) that Crockett and Tubbs went after…so they could have ended with him as well. If they would have improved that episode some and got rid of the goofy HAVOC crap, they really could have made it into a worthwhile finale that involved everyone! :baby:But, nothing good or satisfying ever happened or occurred in “Freefallâ€â€¦it was pretty depressing and annoying. But, I will say I liked the montage of scenes from the whole show at the very end…that was a nice touch—along with literally ending with the ending scene of the “pilot†TV movie “Brother’s Keeperâ€. But, overall I just don’t think this was that good of an episode or finale for one of the most innovative shows in TV history! :evil: I would rate this one lower…but because of the colors, fashion, some music used, and the ending montage I gave this one a 5.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I've been hesitating to say this... But... TERRIBLE!

I've only seen it once, and it just made me feel sick to my stomach.  Miami Vice was known to have abrupt endings, like "No Exit" and "Lombard"... where you basically have to put the precise ending and events to place in your head.  Like, we can only assume Rita shot Tony, or imagine how Lombard miraculously got away from the hitmen.

I would have been much happier knowing Sonny and Rico stayed together, maybe getting a promotion or etc.  They lived and dedicated their lives to fighting crime and doing what's right!  I know that this episode depicts the corruption in American justice, but that was dealt with in other episodes as well.

This episode is just unpleasing... Too gritty, too depressing, and lacked what Miami Vice really was... Stylish, cool, real, and innovative.

We even end on Switek possibly having to turn dirty or getting killed?  Not cool!  I love Swi!

Seriously, I agree ViceFanMan, "World of Trouble" would have been fine with me as the last episode.  Although, I was sad that Lombard died.  I always liked him, even though he did many bad things... He was just a likeable guy!

I give it a 3/10.  I'd rather throw on "Cows of October" or "Leap of Faith" or even "Missing Hours"... They are actually enjoyable to me!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the solution would have been to end MV on a regular episode instead of a prepared, contrived finale. The show was never about tying up loose ends; having unresolved loose ends was what made the show's endings special!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The end of a long journey.  I have to admit I was a little apprehensive to see this episode since it would be the closing chapter to a great series, as I was watching a season of the show every month.  If I had to scale this episode/finale, I would give it around a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 because of the pacing and the overemphasis on the plot twists and not on the characters.

In the first half, the pacing seemed slow and considering the limited length of the finale, there were unnecessary scenes that just used up time, such as the finance minister and constantly showing the riots in the country.  Plus, they didn't have to show Captain Jimidenz getting ready to betray General Borbon, it could have been used to shock the audience rather than trying to anticipate the betrayal appearing.

By the second half, the pacing became way too quick where there were too many twists and emphasis to the enormity of the plot and corruption, that the other main cast members (Gina, Trudy, and Castillo) seemed more like guest actors rather than even "supporting roles" that they were relegated into by the 4th and 5th seasons.  If they trimmed off some of the unnecessary scenes and plot twists, they could have added a 2-3 minute farewell scene of Crockett saying goodbye to his other OCB team (Castillo, Switek, Gina, and Trudy) between the scene Tubbs and Crockett throw away their badges and the final scene between Crockett and Tubbs.  By not having such a scene, it undermines a lot of the camaraderie that was explicitly expressed in episodes such as "The Dutch Oven" (with Trudy), "Hard Knocks" (with Stan), "Miami Squeeze" (with Castillo), and "Give A Little, Take A Little" & "Bought and Paid For" (with Gina).  In doing so, it would have shown just how big of a positive impact Crockett had made with people's personal lives, despite all of his cynicism in not making a impact publicly or professionally.  It could have brought a new perspective as to how he was valuing himself and as to which specific areas in his life, as he was not recognizing the more subtle differences he was making.  Although I understand that typically most Miami Vice endings are abrupt as to the direction of the plot or the characters' future, at least it could have tied up the end of the OCB relationships (as it did with the characters' family members, friends, or love interests) while leaving their futures uncertain.

For me, I would have preferred a scene where he speaks to them individually for a bit, and then have the final scene with Tubbs and Crockett.

I kind of felt that a conclusive ending was sorely needed, after the viewer experienced such an elaborate and expanded introduction to the world of Miami Vice, and experiencing a similar familiarity to the characters in the beginning and through the series.  I know they found out about the cancellation after "The Lost Madonna", but episodes like "Leap of Faith, "Miracle Man", and even "World of Trouble" could have been scrapped to have 3- or 4-part finale arc for "Freefall".  Instead of the tedious events in the first part of "Freefall", they could have had Crockett and Tubbs at the Scarab waiting for a specific drug exchange, but discovering that there was a dying CIA agent presenting them with General Borbon completely out of the blue, with the CIA agent telling them to give it to a specific individual in the government.  In the process of trying to find out more about the CIA operation, Tubbs and Crockett discover multiple levels of corruption within the police department, DEA, ICE, and even the CIA itself to their disbelief, as they find out that the very high price of the General's death, has unleashed corruption on an unprecedented scale that makes them question if anyone values integrity.  The corruption becomes so bad, that they are forced to ask for Al Lombard's (let's say who actually lived than died) help and protection with Lombard's resources, where their experiences make them question in the end as to who has higher level of integrity with the easily corruptible government agencies. 

I was hoping the finale could have brought back the emphasis on the characters as the beginning of the series did, but it didn't.  Nevertheless, it was enjoyable, and still had a satisfying emotional tone in regards to the plot, and the path toward Crockett's complete burnout of the career he once loved.  It was a bit sad that he reached that far, but considering Sonny's personality and the immense pressure and hardship the undercover Vice job brought, it seemed like only a matter of time.  If the series as a whole could have expanded the other characters and their ways of coping as thoroughly (or at least with more interest) as the did with Crockett, it could have provided a much richer dynamic within the OCB team and elevate the series even further.  ...But I guess hindsight is always 20/20. :)

...I am curious though that before word of the show's cancellation, what direction did the writing team and crew plan to take all the main characters toward (if they had the mindset that the show would go beyond 5 seasons)?  Anybody know?

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

I've wondered that too. When exactly was it announced the series would be canceled & what were the plans in place if it hadn't been. I wrote this before that it feels like the series was ending all along. There's just a cloud hanging over every episode. It always feels like they're heading toward the end.

• Like 1