Episode #111 "Freefall"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

In Season 5 he wore some more slightly odd outfits like the knee high leather boots in “To Have and to Hold” etc but he still had such style I agree .

But I adore this his stile

140620778.jpg

AshNE5DE41k.jpg

BOu8hEhgOpA.jpg

16 hours ago, Sea-light said:

But I adore this his stile

140620778.jpg

AshNE5DE41k.jpg

BOu8hEhgOpA.jpg

Great stone linen jacket in first picture - looks like could be Hugo Boss or Giorgio Armani.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So finished watching the blu-ray set with “Freefall” tonight - fantastic episode, just wow!

10/10

Next up... back to “Brother’s Keeper” again! :dance2::clap::):cheers:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The only thing I can do after watching the finale ;(

Yeah...I have never been a fan of Freefall. :( It’s “dark”, depressing, and it basically leaves you hanging. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Don’t get me wrong. I like the finale. It’s one of the few episodes I remember watching the original broadcast of as a kid, so it’s special to me, but yes it’s too sad to just stop there. I always gotta go straight into the pilot afterwards. 

• Like 1

I love “Freefall” always have - the ending just how the Pilot ended was perfect..  ‘hey Tubbs you ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement’ and yes @Dadrian always back to the Pilot!:hippie:

Lots of action, gun shootouts and Crockett was so burnt out ... great music and locations. 10/10

The Pilot is also just perfect.

Edited by Matt5

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I love “Freefall” always have - the ending just how the Pilot ended was perfect..  ‘hey Tubbs you ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement’ and yes @Dadrian always back to the Pilot!:hippie:

Lots of action, gun shootouts and Crockett was so burnt out ... great music and locations. 10/10

But the “last scene” per say, not really the “ending”, to the finale was fake. It was a nice little throw-back, or nod, to the Pilot (basically saying: ‘in memory of’ the series...), but it was not where the actual finale, or Freefall, left us. Freefall had some good action scenes—but everything was all so sad, depressing, and a “sour” way to end it all. :( :evil: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

But the “last scene” per say, not really the “ending”, to the finale was fake. It was a nice little throw-back, or nod, to the Pilot (basically saying: ‘in memory of’ the series...), but it was not where the actual finale, or Freefall, left us. Freefall had some good action scenes—but everything was all so sad, depressing, and a “sour” way to end it all. :( :evil: 

Yeah, I wish there would have been a little more closure. I think all in all, it's a good finale, but it seems so abrupt and forced too. Sadly, at this point in the show's run, everyone was burnt out and checked out, and ready to move on to "bigger" things. We saw how that worked out for them. Maybe they would have put more care into making the series last had they known it would be their big break.

However, I think at that point of the show, it was due to end, since the Vice we knew of the first two seasons only remained in spirit and the glory days had long since passed. If they could have continued the storytelling, scriptwriting, style, and overall feel of the first two seasons, the show could have kept its relevance for longer. Dick Wolf just had to come in and ruin everything, didn't he...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It ain't bad but quite underwhelming as the series finale. I like the ending and the credits but come on, no goodbye to OCB? Just 5 seconds of Gina and Trudy with no significant dialogue? I love the scene with Genesis' Land of Confusion playing, excellent choice. 

• 7 months later...

I didn't like it to be honest, I thought "Sonny's Arc" had more quality to it.

The finale should have been in Miami with everybody involved, after all it is MV. Sonny and Rico going off on some mission in a war torn country didn't seem the right type of material to close the show off with. Another thing they should have did for the final episode was to get Sonny and Rico's original look back, season 1 hairstyles, sunglasses and pastel clothing, maybe even wear they exact same clothes they wore in the pilot as a mark of respect. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I didn't like it to be honest, I thought "Sonny's Arc" had more quality to it.

The finale should have been in Miami with everybody involved, after all it is MV. Sonny and Rico going off on some mission in a war torn country didn't seem the right type of material to close the show off with. Another thing they should have did for the final episode was to get Sonny and Rico's original look back, season 1 hairstyles, sunglasses and pastel clothing, maybe even wear they exact same clothes they wore in the pilot as a mark of respect. 

I didn’t like it at all, either! Totally agree it should have taken place mostly in Miami, and it left you hanging & with a “sour” taste in your mouth. Definite let-down for the series finale! :( 

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I didn’t like it at all, either! Totally agree it should have taken place mostly in Miami, and it left you hanging & with a “sour” taste in your mouth. Definite let-down for the series finale! :( 

I’m approaching the end of season 5 in my chronological nightly rotation.

As I’ve said before, the only way I get that Freefall “sour taste” out of my mouth is to start the pilot up immediately afterward. Takes 3.5 hours, but works every time. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Frankly I think Freefall did exactly what it was supposed to do. It wasn't a conventional series wrap to be sure, but I don't think that was ever the point.

7 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Frankly I think Freefall did exactly what it was supposed to do. It wasn't a conventional series wrap to be sure, but I don't think that was ever the point.

By all means (for its time) MV was never your “conventional” TV show...but the series finale itself definitely could and should have been done differently & better! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’m approaching the end of season 5 in my chronological nightly rotation.

As I’ve said before, the only way I get that Freefall “sour taste” out of my mouth is to start the pilot up immediately afterward. Takes 3.5 hours, but works every time. :thumbsup:

Exactly...or you could watch the episodes in their original airing order...with 3 other episodes that originally aired after Freefall. :D 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

By all means (for its time) MV was never your “conventional” TV show...but the series finale itself definitely could and should have been done differently & better! 

Totally agree. "Fruit Of The Poison Tree" would have been better way to end the series with of course more running time and adding more to the story to fit a finale.

What I didn't like about "Freefall" also was Crockett and Tubbs quiting Vice. Should have ended with them going back to work, like that scene at the end of "Prodigal Son" when they return and Crockett goes back to his desk, picks up his phone and moves on to another case. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Perhaps, but I think you're missing the point of what they thought the finale was by this point. It had more to do with contemporary foreign policy commentary and showing the futility of the war on drugs than it did a series ending. In terms of blatantly calling out what was happening at the time I don't think you'll find a better finale during this time. Is that what a die-hard fan wants? Likely not, but that was never the point of Freefall. It had more to do with the premise of the series than the series itself.

And as far as Crockett going back to work...can you really see this happening after the whole Burnett arc? He'd given everything he had to the Job and seen it destroy two marriages and almost himself. Crockett was never Castillo.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Totally agree. "Fruit Of The Poison Tree" would have been better way to end the series with of course more running time and adding more to the story to fit a finale.

What I didn't like about "Freefall" also was Crockett and Tubbs quiting Vice. Should have ended with them going back to work, like that scene at the end of "Prodigal Son" when they return and Crockett goes back to his desk, picks up his phone and moves on to another case. 

Although I liked how Crockett moved on to a new case in Prodigal Son, I think he was way past the enthusiastic commitment he had for undercover work by the time he accepted the assignment to save the South American general from his war-torn regime. BTW, not a typical assignment for Vice Cops, no matter who they were or how many successful busts the had in the past.. (silly plot, in my opinion)  

I think Crockett accepted this new assignment as his last. He and Rico even discussed the possibility they might not make it out alive this time!

So, going forward, my dream scenario is to have them reunite several years later and continue to fight the good fight-with Castillo in charge, of course!!

Won't ever see it, but it's fun to imagine. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Perhaps, but I think you're missing the point of what they thought the finale was by this point. It had more to do with contemporary foreign policy commentary and showing the futility of the war on drugs than it did a series ending. In terms of blatantly calling out what was happening at the time I don't think you'll find a better finale during this time. Is that what a die-hard fan wants? Likely not, but that was never the point of Freefall. It had more to do with the premise of the series than the series itself.

Going out with what die-hard fans wanted would have been a better way to go...considering where the show was at, by that point. ;)

Regardless of what was going on in the real world at that time, this was MV! The series finale for the whole show needed to take place in Miami, showcased what the series had truly/originally been about, and a situation there...and include the cast as a whole. 

• Like 2